Twenty-ninth Move - Poison kiss

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What do you mean he is missing?”

Eunhyuk was back at the station, in Kangin’s office. Boa had stayed at the prison, working on freeing Changmin while the detective insisted in following Leeteuk back once he discovered about his brother in law.

“You can’t really consider someone missing in less than 24hrs. Maybe he just went somewhere…”

Kangin sighed, as if he was already tired of explaining it.

“After you and Hae disappeared we contacted Siwon and your partner’s brother. They both came down the station and it was Siwon who told us about Changmin and that you two probably went to the prison.”

“So?”

“So we’ve been looking for you the whole night and Siwon stayed here until suddenly he vanished. We tried calling him to update him on you but we couldn’t.”

“And The Classic killer’s files are missing…” Leeteuk added.

The detective frowned, what did it have anything to do with this?

“We confirmed with Shindong and it was Siwon who took the files, he even had a warrant, which we suppose was a fake one…”

“What are you trying to say?”

Kangin exchanged a glance with Leeteuk hesitating. But Eunhyuk understood what they were thinking and implying.

“You think he bailed because he is the Classic killer?!”

“We never said that.” Leeteuk tried to calm him.

“But that’s what you’re all thinking!” Eunhyuk exclaimed. “Don’t you think that it’s a bit too convenient that he disappears right when Henry is killed? It’s obvious that someone is trying to frame him!”

Again the two senior officers exchanged a glance, what infuriated Eunhyuk even more. He didn’t care… Whatever they said he will never believe Siwon to be the killer of his sister. That’s when the detective noticed outside Kangin’s office, his partner accompanied by Heechul and Hangeng. Seeing Donghae made his heart deflate, he suddenly felt reassured and safe. But something seemed to be going on. Ignoring his superiors, Eunhyuk went out of the office to join him. As he approached them he heard bits of the conversation.

“Don’t worry about it, your brother isn’t being accused of anything, he might just have information helpful to us.” Hangeng was saying.

Eunhyuk arrived behind them.

“Hae?”

The brunet turned to him, concern haunting his face.

“Hyuk! What are you doing here? I thought you would be home.”

“Same about you.”

“I…” he hesitated. “Something came up.”

Heechul was pacing, impatient. Finally he and Hangeng threw a glance at Donghae and went to the interrogation room. The brunet grabbed Eunhyuk and pulled him in the room next to it where they could see what was going on behind a dark glass. In the interrogation room, patiently waiting, sitting on a chair, Eunhyuk recognized Donghwa.

“What is your brother doing here?”

“They are asking him about Siwon.”

So he also knew about it. Eunhyuk could see how nervous Donghae was, which he could perfectly understand, after all they lived these past hours, everything would stress them out. Even more when they thought they would they would have a break… but no.

On the other side of the mirror, Heechul and Hangeng introduced themselves to Donghwa as part of protocol then started the interrogation.

“Can you tell us when was the last time you saw Cho Siwon?”

“Yesterday night.” Donghwa answered with a grand calm. “I don’t remember exactly what time it was but it was night.”

“Can you tell us exactly how it went yesterday night?”

“Well… I got a call from Donghae’s boss Leeteuk, telling me he was missing, so I came down the precinct immediately. That’s when I met Siwon who was here too because of detective’s disappearance. We stayed here a good part of the night, waiting to have news and helping as we could. Then at some point Chief Kangin told me to go back home. But I guess Siwon was already gone because I didn’t see him anymore.”

The two detectives inside the room nodded, as if Donghwa story matched theirs. They were going to ask another question but Donghae and Eunhyuk couldn’t hear it because the door suddenly opened in a fly and Kangin appeared.

“What are you two doing here?!”

Donghae was going to answer when he was interrupted.

“I get that you guys want to get over with this whole case but if you continue like this you’re going to break.”

Eunhyuk was going to protest but yet again Kangin raised a hand to stop him.

“I put Heechul and Hangeng on Siwon’s disappearance case, Sungmin is working with the scientific team on Henry’s shooter. We got everything covered so you guys can breathe.”

“But… my brother…” Donghae dared to ask.

“He’ll be home in a few hours, Hae. We’ll notify you if we ever find something. Now go home! And if I ever see any of you here before at least 2 days, I’ll suspend you!”

Donghae still stared at his boss with puppy eyes, which softened Kangin a bit.

“I’ll tell your brother that you’re back home, now go.”

Then not letting them time to protest more, Kangin threw them out of the precinct. Eunhyuk felt like a grounded child. Not being able to assist in his own case was frustrating but Kangin was right, he felt the fatigue weigh on him suddenly. He turned to Donghae.

“Are you ok?” Eunhyuk asked, concerned.

The brunet nodded.

“I guess there’s no rest for the wicked right?”

“Don’t take it like that… I’m sure we’ll be able to breathe soon.”

Donghae turned a grateful smile to him but he lost it as soon as he saw Eunhyuk’s face.

“Hyuk, you’re pale as death! When was the last time you slept?”

“When I lost conscious during our accident?”

It was supposed to be a joke, but Donghae didn’t find it funny, and frowned, ready to patronize Eunhyuk. But the detective didn’t have the strength to hear his scolding.

“Don’t worry I’m going home to rest. Didn’t you hear Kangin? I don’t wanna lose my job over lack of sleep… And anyway we can’t do anything, you for your brother and me for Siwon.”

Donghae nodded.

“I’ll take you home.”

Eunhyuk didn’t even protest. Once they were home, the detective invited Donghae to come in drink something hot. With winter at their door the weather had become cold suddenly, adding to their sad days… They were sitting in Eunhyuk’s kitchen, enjoying their coffee in silence. It was Eunhyuk who broke it.

“I went to see Changmin…”

As expected Donghae raised concerned eyes to him.

“That’s what you were doing instead of resting?! You should’ve waited, we should’ve gone together.”

Eunhyuk shook his head.

“I needed to do this… I… I couldn’t get Henry’s dead body out of my mind… I guess I needed someone to be angry at me.”

“It’s not your fault.” Donghae said putting a hand on his arm.

“I know it’s not, but it still feels like it.”

Donghae nodded, he understood that feeling very well. He then asked how it went and the detective told him everything from Changmin outburst to Boa reop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter