Thirty-second Move - Bonding

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey you.” she answered in a sweet voice. “So… business or pleasure call?”

“Business.” Eunhyuk said amused.

The young woman left out a disappointed exclamation, falsely playing to be vexed.  

“And me here thinking you missed my delightful voice.”

The thin detective smirked. It hasn’t been long since they’ve broken up but he was glad to see that they could still be friends and not act too awkward around each other. Before Eunhyuk said anything, Boa continued.

“Let me guess… you’re calling about Changmin?”

“Yeah, I wanted to know if you had time to go over his case or talk to him?”

Her voice softened.

“You really took a liking of that boy, didn’t you?”

“I just think it’s unfair to keep an innocent person locked up.”

“Right… Well, he agreed to let me handle his case.”

Eunhyuk was happy to hear that. He really wanted to do anything in his power to bring justice to Changmin, as he couldn’t do for his little brother.

“But it’s not going to be easy.” she said with a sad voice. “Changmin confessed to the crime, therefore there was no injustice committed by the law. Unless I have new hard evidence it’s going to be hard to ask for a reform.”

Eunhyuk already knew it wouldn’t be easy; he had accompanied enough trials and condemnations to know that judicial law was a real headache.

“I told you, Donghae and I are ready to testify…”

“It won’t be enough.” Boa interrupted. “It will help, sure, but I need something more concrete to be able to present to the magistrate court. Because the judge won’t care about releasing a boy who doesn’t have any family left, and all the reasons to hate the police.”

“What do you want me to do? It’s not like I had a recorder on me when Henry confessed! All I have is my word.”

“That’s why I need Siwon’s files… Any news from him?”

The man wished he could tell her good news, but unfortunately the situation wasn’t bright.

“Everyone’s working hard to find him.”

The woman at the other end paused, not really knowing what to say. Even Eunhyuk didn’t know… he tried focusing on something else not to think of how powerless he was. That’s when he suddenly had an idea.

“Siwon’s not around to help but I know someone who could… I’ll call you later to let you know!”

Then hanging up with her, he dialed Donghae’s number.

“Do you miss me already?” the brunet .

“Can you give me your brother’s number?”

Donghae seemed surprised by the request so Eunhyuk explained that he needed him for Changmin’s case. The brunet agreed and gave him the number. Even if he wanted to stay more on the phone with his lover, he had to focus on work so he hung up and called Donghwa. When he explained what he wanted from him, this one was surprised by gladly accepted. Few minutes later they were meeting in front of Siwon’s office. Donghwa opened the door and invited the detective to come in.

“Thanks.” Eunhyuk said.

“I must admit that I wasn’t expecting your call but anything I can do to help Siwon.”

“It’s not to help Siwon-hyung actually…”

Donghwa threw him a questioning look while he opened the archives room. Eunhyuk explained.

“I guess Donghae told you and you probably heard on the news that one of our hoobaes turned out to be a serial killer?”

“He did. Henry right?”

Eunhyuk nodded.

“Well, his real name was Changsoo… Hae told me that you’re familiar with that case?”

Donghwa looks darkened as if he had hoped to never hear about it again.

“I was the one who told him about the brothers yeah.”

“I’m trying to free the older brother.”

They stared at each other a long while. Eunhyuk was incapable of guessing what Donghwa was thinking. HE and Donghae were very similar but Donghae had more honest reactions and expressions. Eunhyuk didn’t know the older man enough and he seemed really good at keeping a neutral face. Finally the man cracked up a sad smile.

“This poor boy stayed locked up unfairly for too long. I’m happy to help finally doing the right thing.”

The detective smiled at him and a silent agreement passed between them.

“What do you need?”

“All the files about the trial and the case. I have a friend who is DA, she is going to help us but she needs something strong enough for them to accept reopen the case.”

“Yes… because Changmin confessed we can’t use Section 142, because officially the court hasn’t committed a fault.” said Donghwa lost in his thoughts. “We’ll find something.”

Then the two of them started reviewing every piece of evidence, every testimony, every bit of the case old of 5 years. They’ve been at it for hours now, sitting on the ground and Donghwa on the desk, surrounded by files and more files. Eunhyuk was so focused that he hadn’t notice that it was already dark outside. At this point, he was starving, but they weren’t even near finishing.

“I need a break.” he exclaimed.

Donghwa closed the file he was reading and fell back on his chair, sighing.

“Gosh it’s already this late! Time flies.”

“You should probably go home. Thanks for the help but I can finish it on my own.”

Donghwa clicked his tongue, reproachful.

“I’m not abandoning the ship when I came this far, and two pair of eyes are better than one.”

Eunhyuk recognized there the tenacity and the stubbornness of the Lee family.

“Anyway Donghae is working his case so he probably won’t be home tonight. I better be here helping than doing nothing at home.”

“Then Jajangmyeon is good for you?”

“Oh god yes please! I’m famished!”

They ordered foo and then sat on the table to eat. That’s when Eunhyuk realized for the first time that he was alone with his boyfriend’s brother, and it was also the opportunity to know him better. Especially since it was Donghae’s remaining family.

“You like working with Siwon?” Eunhyuk suddenly asked.

Donghwa nodded between bites.

“He has been very good to me. I could never finish school, even less a law school. I needed money fast that’s why I started working at a very young age. But Siwon gave me the opportunity to work with something I love, he even paid me private classes so I could have a law degree.”

“It was your dream to become a lawyer?”

“It was…”

“Donghae mentioned that you took care of him when your parents died.”

Donghwa smiled to himself, as if he found something amusing.

“Hae must really like you… he never talks about his past.”

Eunhyuk looked down, embarrassed by the other’s praising eyes. He didn’t know what exactly Donghae had told him, but by his brother’s expression he probably had suspicions about what their relationship was.

“I like him a lot too.” Eunhyuk admitted.

“I can see that.”

Donghwa offered him a tender smile, and Eunhyuk felt like if he was giving his approval somehow.

“Hae talks a lot about you. Only good things!” Donghwa reassured him when he saw Eunhyuk raising an eyebrow. “You seem to be a good guy. Passionate about what he’s doing and loyal to those around him.”

It was strange for Eunhyuk to hear so many praises. He didn’t know what to say so he just looked down, shy.

“Hae also told me about your sister, Siwon too wouldn’t shut up about her…”

Eunhyuk let out a small laugh. He could very well picture his brother in law and his undying love for his sister.

“I’m sorry about her death… She seemed to be an amazing and very loving person.”

“She was.”

“I’m sure that she would’ve been proud of the man you became today.”

A lump grew in Eunhyuk’s throat. Donghwa’s words touched him more than he would’ve imagined. Now he could also understand why Donghae loved his brother so much. He emanated a certain respect and a certain serenity that was overwhelming and contagious.

“I’m sorry if I talked about something that’s not my place…” Donghae apologized.

“Oh no, no, I don’t mind hyugnim.”

The oldest had a smiled hearing the respectful nickname while Eunhyuk bit his lips. It escaped, but he didn’t regret. He real

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter