Thirty-seventh Move - Blood Sweat and Tears

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It took exactly one hour and a half drive to get to the prison. But because it was still early morning, of course visit hours were close. Luckily Donghae found a 24hours American style diner, not so far, where he could wait for a more suitable hour to go interrogate Changmin. The diner was not as empty as he would’ve thought; a middle aged man was sitting near the main door staring at his cup of coffee, absentmindedly; a couple was chatting softly on another corner; and the waitress, looking exhausted, was cleaning cups and glasses, mechanically. The analyst embraced the room before choosing to sit in the back. The waitress came and without even a glance asked him what he wanted. He didn’t even look at the menu and simply ordered black coffee. He should’ve eaten something, it’s been almost half a day that he hadn’t eaten, but he was incapable to do so. His stomach was still a block of stone, even the coffee that he loved so much was a real torture to swallow. In front of his hot cup, Donghae took out his cellphone and put it on the table. Eunhyuk had told him to call him to say he was fine. Donghae really wanted to call him, but he wasn’t fine. And he was scared that if he heard his boyfriend’s voice he would lose his will and would go back to him, and close his eyes on the real problem. So he didn’t call him. There was someone else he wanted to call… but again he was scared. All he could do was wait, alone with his thoughts. Around 8am, he decided it was time to go. Arriving at the penitentiary Donghae felt sicker. The coffee on his empty stomach was starting to weight him. He hadn’t seen himself in a mirror but he should not be a pretty sight given how the main desk lady and other guards were staring at him. He ignored her concerned eyes and asked to see Changmin. She asked him to wait while she filed the demand. Donghae waited patiently until she came back frowning.

“I’m sorry you can’t see him…”

That simple sentence cut his breath. He didn’t think of the possibility that he couldn’t be able to confirm his mind. Suddenly despair and panic gained him.

“He doesn’t want to see me? I can understand but I’m here on a legal matter.”

“It’s not that. He is just not able to see you.”

A terrible thought crossed Donghae’s mind.

“Is he ok? Is he alive?”

The poor woman must’ve thought something was terribly wrong with the brunet, she stared at him with big surprised eyes.

“No… he is fine… It’s just that he is in consultation with his lawyer.”

Donghae let out a relieved sigh.

“Can you please ask an audience with his lawyer? She knows me.”

The woman went back, muttering something about them being in a damn prison and not a hotel or a cabinet. A few minutes later a guard was escorting Donghae to a small room where Changmin and Boa were waiting for him. As soon as she saw him, the lawyer came to greet him with a big smile.

“Donghae! I’m happy to see you. It’s been a long time.”

She hugged him as naturally as if they were old friends. Donghae hadn’t seen her since that day in the hospital, after Henry’s death. Now that he thought about it, it was the first time meeting her after starting to go out with her ex. boyfriend. Donghae greeted her shyly. She wouldn’t know about it right? But still it was a bit uncomfortable even if personally he liked Boa. The lawyer moved and for the first time since he came in he saw Changmin. Compared to the last time he saw him, the boy seemed livelier. He had gained back some weight, his eyes were brighter and now because of that he looked like his young age. Painfully he reminded Donghae of Henry. The analyst shook his head to cast out this image.

“I’m sorry to barge in…”

“It’s alright we were almost done.”

“Hello Changmin.” he greeted the boy.

“You’re that detective from last time, right? The one that came with Eunhyuk?”

Donghae sketched a smile nodding. Of course he knew Eunhyuk well, since he was the one trying to free him. Donghae sat down across them at the table and took a deep breath.

“First of all I wanted to say that I’m sorry about…”

Changmin raised a hand, interrupting him.

“If you’re here to apologize about my brother don’t… Eunhyuk told me you were two that night, I guess it was you. What happened wasn’t your fault; I guess Changsoo brought it upon himself.”

“You’re being very mature about it.” Donghae said, surprised by the boy’s pragmatism.

He shrugged. “I’m as guilty for keeping silent when I knew what he was.”

Donghae’s stomach clenched.

“Would you have done differently?” he dared to ask.

Changmin looked up at him and stared into his eyes.

“Now that you know how it went would you have chosen to do things differently?”

The boy thought about it for a second then shook his head.

“I suppose not… Sure I would’ve tried to do things differently but I still would’ve protected my little brother.”

Donghae nodded as he understood the feeling. It wasn’t the answer he was expecting but he king of already knew what the boy was going to say. Boa next to him, seemed to be getting impatient, she was nervously fidgeting on the table.

“Donghae, I’m sorry but what is this about? Because he still have some things to go over about the trial.”

“Did they accept to reopen it?” Donghae exclaimed.

The woman nodded. “Eunhyuk and you brother have done a great job.”

A shiver ran down Donghae’s spine at the mention of his brother. He shook that feeling and focused on why he was here.

“Well I came because I heard Henry had left some letters for his brother, and I would like to read it.”

Both Boa and Changmin kept staring at him in silence and he knew he wouldn’t get what he wanted that way, so he explained himself.

“We found new evidence on the Classic killer, your brother’s killer.” He said turning to Changmin. “And we believe something in those letters could help us.”

“Weren’t the letters already reviewed and considered clear by the bureau?”

It was Boa who had said that. She was now on a full lawyer mode, and Donghae recognized the prudence and suspicion in her attitude that came with it.

“As I said, we found new evidence.”

Donghae wasn’t totally lying, they did found new evidence, but the one Eunhyuk had and the one he had were quite different. Seeing that neither Boa nor Changmin seemed convinced he added.

“I don’t even need to take it, I just need to read it once. Please…”

“Donghae I’m sorry but…”

“It’s ok I’ll give it to him.”

The brunet looked at the boy surprised. He had a small grin and his eyes seemed to be saying something that Donghae didn’t quite get. Changmin turned to Boa.

“Sorry Noona, but could you ask the guards to bring the letters?”

The woman hesitated an instant before going out of the room. As soon as she disappeared, Changmin who was staring intensely at Donghae, grabbed his hand suddenly.

“You have the same problem as me it seems.”

Donghae’s heart stopped. How could he possibly know that? Was he being too obvious? Then did someone else notice? His hand started shaking under Changmin’s and the boy winced.

“I know that feeling… It’s like a poison that corrupts everything in your body and leaves nothing behind but a hole. You told me your family’s past, I remember it. Then everything started with you…”

Donghae who was absolutely frozen, found the strength to pull his hand away.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

It was childish to deny it when he was incapable of controlling his emotions but he didn’t know what else to say. Changmin stopped smiling.

“Sorry… I didn’t mean to upset you. Like I said before, I don’t blame you. Everyone is responsible for their own acts. I learned it the hard way.” he said showing the room all around them.

They fell silent for a moment, Donghae not daring to look at the boy’s eyes. Changmin sighed and sat back on his chair, crossing his arms on his chest.

“So now what are you going to do?”

“About what?”

“You know what…”

The brunet threw nervous glances at the door, Boa didn’t seem to be coming back. Maybe he could dare to talk about it… Wasn’t it one of the reasons why he came? To talk to Changmin since he was the only one he could tell that…

“Last time I asked you if you would’ve turned your brother in if he turned out to be serial killer, and you told me you would.” Changmin said suddenly.

He was impressed by the boy’s memory, and of course for him this conversation was burned into his mind. But now that he found himself in this situation he wasn’t so sure of his answer anymore…

“I’m not sure it’s him.” he finally said.

“But you have a doubt.”

Donghae nodded. “Too many coincidences, too many similar things…”

“So if it turns out to be him, what are you going to do?” he insisted.

Donghae hadn’t thought until there. He was too scared to think about the possibility, so to think about the impossible choice he could have to make… it was terrifying. Changmin was still staring at him. His eyes had no judgement in them; it was as if he was talking about the weather and not a possible serial killer. At this moment Changmin felt much older than his age, and even if Donghae was older he felt all the weight of the boy’s past and the experiences he should’ve never lived, being in prison and having such a dramatic life. He almost wanted to ask him what he should do, but he knew it wouldn’t be fair to the boy.

“I’m here to find proof.”

Changmin nodded. “And when you find enough proof don’t do like me… don’t close your eyes but talk to him about it. Ask him why… then decide what to do.”

“I know what would be the right thing to do but it’s hard…”

“There’s no right or wrong in this situation.”

And before he could say anything more, the woman came back. She looked back and forth between Donghae and Changmin, suspiciously, since they had stopped talking abruptly when she came in. Seeing them keeping their silence, Boa just handed the pile of letters to Donghae.

“I don’t know what exactly you’re looking for in those letters, but I hope you don’t find it.” Changmin said with a small grin.

Boa turned to him frowning and started scolding him, but Donghae got it and was able to sketch a small smile. The analyst then took his leave, holding the letters close to his chest. He was somehow happy to have come here; he really admired Changmin and his strength. He would pray hard for justice to be done and this boy finally be free. Donghae was almost at the building’s exit when he was stopped. He turned around, surprised to find Boa.

“Boa-shii?”

“I had hoped I would be able to catch you.”

“What about Changmin?”

“We were almost done when you came.”

Don

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter