Thirty-ninth Move - No Tomorrow

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungmin stayed silent during the way back to the precinct. Donghae was in the car with him, while his brother was riding in another car with Hangeng and Heechul. Not many words were exchanged between them when they came to pick up Donghwa. It was as if they already knew about it, and Donghae only speeded the pick-up. Hangeng put the handcuffs on Donghwa while telling him his rights, and then they got into the car in silence. Donghae was thankful to his colleagues for their understanding and for them not asking any question, even if he knew he would have to be interrogated too, after all he was now a presumed accessory of murder because of his relationship with the killer.

Arrived at the police station Donghae couldn’t take another step… he stopped a few meters from the interrogation room, and watched his brother being dragged away. He tried hard not crossing his colleagues eyes, incapable of taking their judgmental or pity looks. He really was tempted to run away from here, but then he had promised his brother that he would stay with him all the step of the way. When before he was one of the figures of law, now he felt as if he was as guilty as his brother, he felt tainted and dirty. But more than that, seeing all the police officers around him, he knew he was going to cross path with someone that he wasn’t ready to see. The brunet turned away ready to wait outside, since anyway he couldn’t take part to the investigation, and his brother’s questioning would probably take long. That’s when he saw him, exactly the person he wished to avoid. Eunhyuk was staring at him across the room, and Donghae couldn’t understand his expression. Was he mad? Was he sad? He must still be in shock from discovering who his sister’s killer is. If Donghae was suffering, he wouldn’t even imagine Eunhyuk… The thin detective walked towards him, very calmly. Donghae stayed frozen. When he got just a few centimeters from the brunet he stopped and simply said.

“Can we talk?”

Yes Donghae wanted to run away, badly, but he knew he owed Eunhyuk more than that. He nodded and followed the detective to a more private room. Once they were cut from the outside world they stayed there in silence, not really knowing what to say. Donghae didn’t know if he should apologize or if he should keep quiet. He wasn’t in any position to decide about how this meeting should go. He decided to let Eunhyuk talk first, but the man didn’t seem the know what to say either.

“Are you going to be interviewed too?” he asked.

“Yes… Heechul sunbae said they had a few questions for me.”

Eunhyuk nodded. The brunet bit his lips nervously, he wanted to explain a few things to Eunhyuk, he wanted to say apologize for everything his brother had done, he wanted to hug and console him, be able to erase that sadness from his face. But he knew he couldn’t do any of that… But that person in front of him wasn’t a stranger, it was the man he loved, it was his boyfriend. He should at least say something.

“Hyuk…”

The door opened in a fly, interrupting him, and Leeteuk appeared.

“Oh… You two are together…? I’m sorry to interrupt you but Kangin wants to see you Donghae.”

The analyst didn’t know if he should thank his hyung or curse him. He threw a glance at Eunhyuk to see if he was ok with him going, and the man brushed his arm.

“It’s alright, go.”

It was only a few seconds, but that simple touch warmed Donghae’s heart, he expected to be rejected more violently than that. He sketched a sorry smile and followed Leeteuk to Kangin’s office. The shrink let him go in alone though, and the brunet found his boss hand on his back, pacing around his office. Upon seeing the analyst he went to sit in his armchair and invited Donghae to do the same in the chair in front of him.

“How are you holding up?” was the first thing he asked.

Donghae shrugged.

“Honestly I don’t know… Everything seems a bit surreal for me right now.”

“I can understand… What you did was very brave.”

Donghae nodded even if he didn’t agree. He wasn’t brave. He gave his brother a choice, when he should’ve been the one making it. He should’ve immediately, being a police officer, arrested that serial killer, without any hesitation. Of course people could understand why he would be hesitant and find it admirable of him not to give up to temptation, but Donghae knew deep down inside that had been close to break the law, run away and hide a killer in his own selfishness. Kangin looked at him sadly and the brunet knew he should get used to that stare, as he would see it a lot from now on.

“I wanted to talk to you before Heechul and Hangeng interviewed you.”

He paused.

“Hum… I don’t know how to say this…”

“Don’t worry, boss, you can talk at ease.”

“I know that your brother is willing to confess, and a confession will mean imprisonment for life.”

“I know that…”

“But whatever you’re going to say could help him get a better sentence. So I know that it’s hard, but you should choose your words carefully once in the interrogation room.”

Donghae was surprised, he wasn’t expecting his boss to help a killer like the Classic one. He quickly understood though that Kangin was actually doing it for him. He knew that Donghwa meant everything for the brunet, and that’s why he was offering his advice.

“Thanks, hyung…”

“I know it mustn’t be easy, but you did the right thing. Now let us help you ease the process.”

Donghae smiled at him thankful. And that’s when he realized something… He didn’t deserve to be here… He who was ready to throw away all his principles for his own sake, wasn’t fit to be in the police. Even Hangeng with his mafia family was more deserving, because he had rejected that part of him and worked hard every day to walk a righteous path. But Donghae couldn’t do it… He wouldn’t be able to continue working here and facing all of his team as the brother of the Classic killer. How would he face Eunhyuk every day knowing that his family was responsible for his sister’s death? The kindness Kangin was offering right now made him realize that he wasn’t deserving of it… Donghae took a deep breath and said it.

“I’m quitting.”

“What?!”

Kangin frowned, surprised.

“Hae, I know that things seem dark right now but you shouldn’t throw away your life because of that. You’re a good analyst and a good detective you shouldn’t renounce that.”

“I don’t know how to continue after all this…” he admitted.

“Then take a few months vacations. But don’t quit.”

“I’m sorry…”

It was touching how sad Kangin seemed. In all his time here he had found Kangin to be a pillar and example of what a real detective should be, the brunet was sad to disappoint him like this.

“I can’t make you change your mind?” his boss asked him.

He shook his head and Kangin sighed, accepting the other’s decision. He stood up and the brunet did the same.

“Just leave me time to get all the papers ready, alright? I have to go see how the interrogation is going.”

The brunet nodded, and Kangin left the room, patting his shoulder on his way out. Donghae took a minute, before deciding to go to the NP. He had to wait for his turn to be interrogated, and the only place he wanted to be right now was his office… future ex-office.

***

Eunhyuk entered the small observation room where he could see Donghwa’s interrogation. Kangin and Sungmin who were already watching it, stiffened when he came in, and his partner was already staring at him with prudent eyes.

“So how is it going?” was the only thing Eunhyuk found to say.

He tried hard to seem detached of the situation even if he knew no one believed that.

“He confessed immediately, we are going over the details of each murder now…”

Eunhyuk nodded. It was surprising how someone as prudent as the Classic killer that spent a lot of energy into hiding from the police would give up so easily; the detective imagined that Donghae must’ve had something to do with this radical change of attitude.

“I want to go in.” he suddenly said.

Kangin turned to him already frowning.

“I can’t let you do that…”

Yeah, he already imagined so. It wasn’t that he doubted Heechul and Hangeng’s abilities it’s just that he knew this case better than anyone, and because of course  wanted to confront his sister’s killer.

“At least can I have a moment with him?”

Kangin exchange a look with Sungmin, as if they were both worried that he would try doing something terrible to that man. Well he would’ve… but that man in there wasn’t only his sister’s killer, he was also Donghwa, Donghae’s brother. Someone he started to consider like family, someone that took care of Siwon, someone who gave him advices and helped him in many ways. But especially, he was Donghae’s brother. That information was the more shocking one. Everything seemed unreal to Eunhyuk right now, and that’s why he needed to talk to that man, he needed to confirm, to see it looking into his eyes that the Donghwa he knew was the Classic Killer. Kangin let out a sigh.

“Once they are done I’ll let you have 10 minutes with him.”

“Thanks.”

And without even a glance to the interrogation room, Eunhyuk went out, followed by Sungmin. They went to the kitchen to pour themselves a good hot coffee.

“How are you feeling man?” Sungmin asked.

“I don’t really know… I’m kind of dazed.”

“Yeah… This whole thing is insane. I can barely tell myself that it’s over.”

The thin man nodded sipping his coffee.

“Did you see Donghae?”

A shiver travelled through his body. Yes, he had seen Donghae. But they were quickly interrupted and couldn’t talk properly. But he knew he would have to have a conversation with him, and that scared him… Because there again he would have to make a decision and he didn’t know what to do.

“You know that he has nothing to do with all of this, right? He found out at the same time we did, and he could’ve hid it but he chose to turn his own brother in.”

Eunhyuk nodded again. He knew all of that. He finally understood his weird behavior the day before. He couldn’t imagine if how much pain he must’ve been, and how it was hard to take a decision like this. But still… even if Eunhyuk understood all of this with his head he couldn’t help but have this uncomfortable feeling inside his heart. Respecting his silence Sungmin didn’t say anything more. That’s when suddenly someone entered the kitchen like a hurricane. His now orange hair messy, wearing flannel pajama pants, a white t-shirt with a big green coat leniently thrown over his shoulders and an awful orange scarf, Junsu appeared, out of breath. The two detectives stared at him surprised, and as soon as he saw Eunhyuk he came to him and throwing his arms around his shoulders, hugged the thin man. He stayed there, not knowing what to do, and not hugging the other back. It wasn’t like Junsu to be skinship, it would’ve been more Sungmin’s thing. But there he was being all emotional, he even thought hearing a sob coming from him. Finally Junsu let him go and took a step back.

“I came as soon as I heard.”

That explained his clothes. Working as a bartender most of the night, Junsu had the habit of sleeping during the day; with his large range of information, Eunhyuk guessed that he came as soon as he found out…

“You didn’t have to come running here. I’m fine.”

“Yeah, you could’ve at least changed.” Sungmin told him.

“You’re not fine.” Junsu said in a scolding tone.  “And you better not deny your feelings right now! Or else it’s going to be worse.”

Eunhyuk stared at his friend surprised, and Sungmin threw him concerned glances. Everyone in the precinct had been careful to not trample his feelings, scared of his reaction, but as expected from his childhood friend, he didn’t let him fall into despair alone. The red head patted his shoulder.

“You’ve done it… It’s over now. Sora will be in peace.”

“It’s not totally over. I have to talk to him.”

Junsu nodded. “You’re right. You have to end it once and for all and say a proper goodbye to your sister.

“Death doesn’t let you say goodbye, it just carves holes in your lives, in your future, in your heart.”

“Yes but that whole was filled now. You have to accept that it’s over and move on with your life.”

Sungmin noticed Eunhyuk’s dark glare and knew the man didn’t like Junsu’s words, even if he was right in the end. It was just that, everything was too fresh for him to just call it quit. But he understood his friend’s solicitude and that he was only trying to help him, even if it was the first time Junsu was being that hard on him. Usually Sungmin would be the head on untactful friend and Junsu would be the one to smooth things up.

“Did you change personalities?” Eunhyuk asked, annoyed.

The two men looked at each other and sketched a smile.

“At least we’re here for you.”

“Like it or not.” Sungmin added.

Eunhyuk smiled at them and pat their shoulders.

“Thanks, mates.”

Suddenly Hangeng entered the kitchen, seeing him Eunhyuk’s heart clenched. He knew what it meant even before he said it.

“Kangin said you have 10 minutes.”

The time had come. He left Sungmin and Junsu behind and went to the interrogation room.

***

When the analyst arrived in front of the NP’s door he stopped and his fingers caressed the letters on the red door. Even if it was for a short time, here, it had been his home. They had moved around so many times with his brother that Donghae had never had a place where he felt like home. Arriving here he had thought that was is, that he would finally be able to settle down. He made friends, he found love and a job where he was comfortable in. In the others precincts, because Hae was good at his job, he had been cast aside more than once. But it hadn’t been the case here, even if he was suspected of being a murderer for a while. Everyone was special in their own way and they accepted him with his particularity. He opened the door, the NP was calm. The brunet went to his desk and started packing his stuffs up, he was so lost in his thoughts that he only noticed the soft voice talking to him the third time calling him.

“Donghae.”

The brunet looked up, surprised to see Zhoumi’s head sticking out of the door of his lab. They had only spoken a few times, from all the ones who worked at the NP, Zhoumi was the one he was the less close to, and he was fairly sure he had never heard the other man call him by his name.

“Hey Zhoumi.”

“You’re packing?”

“Yeah… things came up.”

Zhoumi nodded, as if he knew what he was talking about, and he probably did. It was the longest conversation they ever had and honestly it felt strange. The scientist opened the door a bit more and slid in the doorway.

“You’re running away?”

“Kind of.” Donghae let out an unamused laugh.

Zhoumi shook his head.

“It’s not good.”

The brunet could only agree but he really didn’t see what else to do. He continued packing, when he was surprised again by Zhoumi that wasn’t done talking.

“My father, he… hum… he murdered my whole family.” he said, searching his words.

Donghae stopped abruptly what he was doing and looked up at the man, shocked. Zhoumi seemed to be searching for his words, not comfortable talking in Korean.

“He had… hum… debts? He didn’t know how to pay it back so in his despair he decided that we should all die with him. One night I woke up with my mom’s screams. I was going to my little sister’s room when my Gege (big brother) took me and hid me under the kitchen sink.”

The man paused, not because he was shaken up by his story but because again he was looking for his words.

“I heard my father killing the rest of my family and then looking for me. When he didn’t find me he killed himself… I hid there for at least two days when the police found me. It took another whole day to be able to make me leave my hideout. That’s why I never leave here.” he said looking around the small NP room. “I’m scared of people and open spaces. I feel safe in small places because once I was safe under a kitchen sink.”

Donghae was speechless. He would’ve never imagined Zhoumi to have such a tragic and horrible past. He was starting to guess that all of them, in the nerd team or the detective team, must’ve had a difficult past. Now he could understand better the other’s man fear, he would be afraid of leaving a familiar place too if he was him. But that didn’t explain why the Chinese man was telling him that. As if he had read his mind Zhoumi sketched a weird clumsy smile.

“Family tragedy leave scars on you. I’ve let it define me but you shouldn’t let it define you. I know about your Ge (big brother)… Even if you knew you wouldn’t’ve been able to change anything. You can’t change human nature. It’s just a pity that you’re leaving… You’re a good detective.”

Donghae was touched by the Chinese man’s words. He was right of course, but knowing it with his rational mind and actually being able to live with it were two different things. At this moment the door opened in a fly and Kyuhyun entered the room frowning.

“What do you mean by he’s leaving?”

Behind him were Yesung, Ryeowook and Leeteuk, who by their positions, were probably eavesdropping. With the sudden arrival of so many people Zhoumi went back inside his room, and let only his head stick out from it again. The young hacker came to stand in front of Donghae, arms crossed over his chest, clearly mad.

“Why are you packing?”

“Kyuhyun…”

“Don’t...!” Kyuhyun didn’t let him say anything. “First Henry and now you… I refuse!!!!”

Seeing the boy so shaken up broke Donghae’s heart, he never imagined that kind of reaction with him leaving. Seeing that Kyuhyun was ready to explode, Leeteuk came to stand next to the hacker and put a hand on his shoulder.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter