Fifteenth Move - Suspicions

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Donghae saw his brother coming into the bar he thought his heart stopped. What he discovered earlier was fresh in his mind and he knew his brother lied to him and that he would have to have a real serious conversation, but he didn’t expect it to be right now. And seeing his brother here, he didn’t know how to face him… especially in front of all his colleagues and in front of Eunhyuk. But well the evening went by fine; Donghwa was his charming self while Siwon was as friendly as always, the alcohol helping too. Then one by one everyone started going back to their respective houses.

“Want some tea to help with the hangover?” Donghwa suggested, as they stepped inside their apartment.

Absentmindedly, the brunet nodded. Donghwa went to the kitchen to put the water to boil, while Donghae sat on the kitchen table.

“Your colleagues are very enthusiastic, especially that Yesung guy.”

“Yeah, they are a bit eccentric…”

“I like them! And you all seemed close, I’m happy you’re working with people as nice as them.”

“Hum…”

“Hae, are you listening?”

His brother stopped what he was doing suddenly, making Donghae look up. For a second there he got lost in his thoughts and didn’t hear his brother.

“Is something wrong?”

Donghae couldn’t even look at his brother straight so he knew it was useless to try lying to him.

“Why do you never talk about our past? About our parents?”

Donghwa’s face changed completely and he lost his usual smile, and something in his eyes transformed…

“Why do you ask so suddenly? What made you curious about it?”

“I was just wondering… Eunhyuk and Siwon lost the same person, but they still remember her and make her memory live on. While I have a great memory but I don’t even remember our own dad’s face…”

Donghwa stayed silent and stared at the water that was starting to boil.

“I already told you everything you have to know. Dad died in a car accident, and mom… you already know, there’s nothing else to be said.”

“I’m not a child anymore, hyung. Maybe you should stop treating me like one.”

The oldest suddenly turned around to face the brunet and said firmly.

“This conversation is over! You know better than to ask me…”

Never before had his brother used this bossy tone with him. Even when, in his younger days, he did some mistake, Donghwa would always scold him in a warm patronizing way. But now… They stared at each other for a long while before Donghae finally looked down. But the brunet couldn’t let it go so easily. It was too much for him…

“The story you told me the other day… it’s not us right?”

“What?”

Donghwa turned slowly to him, eyes wide open with surprise. Never before had the youngest defied him in his authority.

“It isn’t is it?” Donghae stood up and walked over to his brother. “Tell me that mom never made you do things with her clients. Tell me that you never had to work for her.”

The oldest kept silent.

“Tell me!” the brunet yelled, suddenly.

Donghwa didn’t say a word, and that’s what made Donghae lose it. All that happen those past months came back and he just exploded. He grabbed his brother’s collar and shook him.

“For once in your life be honest with me!” he burst in anger.

“She didn’t!” Donghwa yelled back.

Donghae froze his hands still on his brother’s collar.

“She tried… and she tried to sell you too, but I didn’t let her. That story I told you has nothing to do with us. I never went to prison and you know that our mother was killed by one of her unhappy clients.”

“Our mother was actually murdered by a serial killer named the Classic killer.” said Donghae, letting go of his brother.

He took a few steps back, letting the anger flow out of him. Donghwa just seemed stoned.

“She was murdered by a serial killer?

Donghae nodded.

“And so what? You think that I have something to do with it?”

“I don’t know! Maybe you went to her and made sure she would never be a treat to us anymore.”

“You think I killed mom?!” Donghwa asked.

His voice broke a little, as if he was at the verge of crying. Donghae knew he had hurt him beyond compare right now and he felt so guilty for it. His brother had taken care of him for all those years with such kindness and warmth; he wasn’t able to kill anyone.

“I’m sorry hyung… it’s not what I meant…”

“Not what you meant? You can that easily accuse me of murder… I see how much your trust in me is.”

“How can I trust someone who keeps lying to me?”

“It’s for your own protection!” Donghwa suddenly yelled.

“I don’t need your protection anymore!” Donghae yelled back. “What I need right now is the truth.”

The oldest sighed, angrily and turned away. The brunet took a step closer to his brother to touch his arm slightly.

“Please…”

Donghwa took a deep breath and…

“I can’t…”

Donghae close his eyes, wishing he had heard wrong. But unfortunately he didn’t.

“It’s not because my scars are not visible that they are not there. And I’m not ready to reopen that wound… I’m sorry…”

The oldest got away from his brother and was going to get out of the kitchen when he suddenly turned around.

“And about our mother, if I had had the choice, I would’ve killed her. I would be able to kill if it means, protecting you… Because I would do anything for my little brother…”

Then he went to his room. Donghae kept his eyes shut, trying hard not to cry. But with his brother’s last sentence it was impossible and tears started streaming down his face. His brother wasn’t a killer, he was just a deeply wounded person trying his hardest to live in this world, and trying to be the best for his family. Donghae couldn’t feel guiltier… This case was making him paranoid indeed. Leeteuk’s words came back to his mind: this case would destroy his life. More than that it was Donghae himself who was destroying his life…

The evening had been long and these past days rough, Donghae decided to let it go for now and went to his room, ready to find some comfort under his covers.

The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter