Twentieth Move - Kidnap

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At 11pm sharp Eunhyuk was down his building. Still half asleep Donghae got it the car and there they went.

“Did you sleep at all?” the brunet asked in front of Eunhyuk’s tired eyes.

“Not really…”

He was tempted to ask him what was wrong but he didn’t want to be rejected like he always was, so he didn’t say a word. It took them more than an hour to get to Hangeng’s address, as it was outside the city, near the coast side. They arrived at some docks, surrounded by warehouses and containers. Eunhyuk parked the car further from the site and out of sight.

“What is your plan exactly?” Donghae asked as they got out of the car.  

“Let’s shake those gangsters and see if they know something.”

“Why at night…?” Donghae mumbled under his breath.

But Eunhyuk heard it loud and clear.

“Because mafia things always happen at night.”

The brunet decided not to comment on that sentence and just followed Eunhyuk to the site. They were heading to one of the main buildings when suddenly they heard loud voices coming from one side of the site. Quickly they both ran out to take cover against the walls. Eunhyuk took out his gun again, and Donghae cursed in his mind that he didn’t have any weapon to defend himself. They moved in silence, getting close to the sound. On the side of the building there were 2 cars parked but with their lights on and many men running around from right to left, seeming to be charging one of the containers. The thing was… they were all armed with big automatic guns.

“Let’s get closer.” Eunhyuk whispered.

They ran to the other side of where they were and then hid behind another huge container. Eunhyuk peeked while Donghae stayed out of sight, next to him.

“Why are we hiding?” Donghae asked.

After all they were law enforcement officials, those men wouldn’t attack them like this, right?

“We don’t have a warrant or backup and we are outnumbered… Believe me, you don’t wanna find out what they’ll do to you if we ever get caught.”

The brunet swallowed hard, realizing in what situation they were.

“Shouldn’t we call for backup then?”

“We will once we figure out what they’re up to.”

Eunhyuk continued peeking from their hiding place.

“I can’t see what’s in the container.” he pestered.

Eunhyuk tried hard to see what the gangsters were putting in the container by peeking from their hiding spot. Donghae on the contrary, stayed put, scared to make a wrong move and make them be found. Because he was good at assertions and such but was never too keen to anything relevant of fighting. So instead he looked around, already thinking of an escape route for them. But instead he found something else…

“Hyuk.” he whispered, tapping the detective’s arm with his elbow.

The other didn’t turn around so the brunet had to insist until he finally paid attention.

“What?!”

“Look at the container.” he pointed to a red one in front of them.

“So?”

“The numbers. Don’t they remind you of something?”

Eunhyuk squinted, trying hard to find a connection, and then he did.

“The numbers on the back of Joe’s pictures.”

“Bingo.”

“And I guess you remember all the numbers?”

The brunet didn’t even need to say anything that Eunhyuk was already smiling widely.

“You’re really a little genius.” he said.

Donghae couldn’t help but blush at the remark, thanking that it was too dark for the detective to notice it.

“Wanna see what’s inside?”

Then very carefully, trying to be as quiet as possible, they moved until they found one with the right number on the side. With his flashlight in hand, Donghae covered and illuminated Eunhyuk while he opened the door. Then it was a great shock. In all scenarios and assertions Donghae had ran in his mind, he had thought that what was on those gangsters containers would be drugs, or weapons, nothing could’ve prepared him for this… Inside there were women… clothes torn, shivering in fear and cold, crowded like animals in a box. Eunhyuk must’ve been as shocked as Donghae because he just stayed there and whispered.

“Human trafficking. That’s what Joe found out.”

And he got killed for it, Donghae almost added. But he didn’t, because he didn’t think it would help their cause. Eunhyuk made a movement to help one of the girls that seemed on the verge of passing out when Donghae stopped him.

“We can’t…”

“What are you talking about? We have to help them!” Eunhyuk said, outraged.

He tried to make the brunet let go, but Donghae didn’t and stayed firm.

“We can’t do anything for them, just the two of us. We have to come back with reinforcement and a plan.”

Eunhyuk stopped struggling and looked sadly at those poor girls. He knew the brunet was right, but it was hard to walk away from this. Donghae could seem a bit cold hearted but he was only thinking about what was best. Right now, what they found was huge, and if they played their cards well, they could make a whole organization go down.

They looked around the container one last time; half of these girls didn’t even seem to be Korean.

“They don’t even try to run…” Eunhyuk said, a lump in his throat.

“Because they know that if they do they are dead.”

Sadly the detective nodded, and he closed the door, whispering to them that they would come back and help. Maybe that promise would make them hold on a little longer. Donghae was touched by Eunhyuk’s sensibility and concern. He realized that the detective wasn’t the insensible jerk he once thought he was… and he understood very well that while he worked based on reason, Eunhyuk worked on emotion.

Frustrated with the outcome of that night, they went back their way in silence. It was when they saw the car that Eunhyuk broke the silence.

“I wished we could’ve done more for them.”

“We will.”

Suddenly Donghae froze. The car’s light was .

“Did we forget the light?” Eunhyuk asked.

No they didn’t, Donghae remembered it clearly, then why…

At that exact moment, he felt a hard pain on the back of his neck and he slipped into unconsciousness.

***

The first thing he felt, before even opening his eyes, was the excruciating pain of his head. Seriously his head was about to explode, and that annoying buzzing of his ear would finish by making him crazy. He slowly opened his eyes to see that he was in a badly lightened room, probably inside one of the warehouses. Slowly remembering what happened earlier, Eunhyuk got suddenly worried about Donghae. He searched him around the room, and let out a relieved sigh when he found him still passed out on the chair next to him.

But as soon as Eunhyuk realized their situation he cursed. They got caught and now they were tied down on chairs, with no hope of being rescued. Right now, they could only rely on themselves.

“Donghae.” Eunhyuk called. “Wake up! Hae!”

The brunet moaned, probably also sore from the hit they took, and then opened his eyes to find out the same thing Eunhyuk did.

“Where are we?”

“We are in a bad situation. Can you move?”

The man tried, but couldn’t.

“They tied me too well.”

“Indeed no need to try getting out of these, they are marine knots.”

The voice came from the man that just entered the room, accompany by two other armed men. He came closer, with a huge smile on his face. As soon as he saw Eunhyuk his smirk only grew.

“Detective Lee, what a pleasant surprise. Really it hasn’t been long enough.”

“Lucio… You bastard…”

“And what do we have here?”

The man called Lucio, went to Donghae’s side and leaned, putting his face inches from the brunet’s staring at him under every profile.

“I don’t know him, are you hiring new guys at the precinct? Where’s your blond friend? Did you already change boyfriends?”

Donghae threw questioning glances at the detective.

“You two know each other?”

Lucio stood up and went back to Eunhyuk. “We are old pals.”

“That’s Han Lu Hyo, commonly called Lucio.” Eunhyuk explained, spitting almost every word. “Famous Chinese-korean reseller and Hangeng’s cousin.”

Donghae gasped at the info, which Eunhyuk could totally understand. It was shocking to think that a respected detective could h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter