Seventeenth Move - New Murder

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After getting the address from their boss, Eunhyuk and Donghae were on the car going to the crime scene. They both stayed silent, not really knowing what to say, but the tension was still palpable. Donghae’s mind was still on the conversation they were having before they were interrupted. What was Eunhyuk about to say? It was the first time that he had called his name like this, and just hearing it, made Donghae’s heart race. He wanted to ask him about it, but didn’t dare. And anyway, right now, he had to focus, because they had more important matters to take care of.

Finally, after a few minutes, they arrived at the crime scene, and as soon as they did they were blinded by all the blue and red lights. The police was there of course, but also the coroner’s car. Eunhyuk swore under his breath, as he got out of the car. The coroner was always the last to arrive at the scene of a crime, so it meant that they were behind. Donghae followed Eunhyuk out of the car; they pulled out their badges, and showed it quickly to the officer that was guarding the scene from curious people. He let them go past the famous yellow tape, while showing them where the body was. Without waiting for him, Eunhyuk just went down, but the brunet stopped at the edge, frowning. They were at the edge of a forest but where the officer was pointing was downhill, sinking into a creek that opened on a lake. The problem was that due to rainy weather these past days the ground was pure mud. And Donghae had never been too stable on his two feet… Anyway he didn’t have a choice; he would eventually need to go down this hill. Carefully he started going down, his shoes sinking at every step he took. He was midway, when suddenly he looked up to see Eunhyuk holding out a hand to him, his expression seeming annoyed.

“You’re such a baby!” he said. “Come on, hurry up!”

Finally they made it and in the crevasse, illuminated by spotlights, they found standing there Leeteuk, Henry and Yesung.

“Hey hyungs.” Henry welcomed them warmly.

Donghae smiled at him. He hadn’t known the boy for a long time, but from what he had seen he was truly a good mood maker; always happy, nothing seemed to take the boy down and Donghae also admired how driven he was to become a good detective. But then there was also Leeteuk standing there… Quickly, the brunet glanced at Eunhyuk to see his reaction, but the detective had a neutral expression. Donghae was surprised to see Leeteuk there, he didn’t usually left the precinct… and for once Yesung seemed to be alone, Ryeowook was nowhere to be seen, but well Donghae hadn’t seen the whole place yet. He saw that Eunhyuk was going to say something when suddenly Leeteuk’s eyes suddenly widened while looking at Donghae.

“Are you wearing Hyuk’s shirt?”

Donghae froze and he felt Eunhyuk doing the same next to him. How the hell did he know it? Yesung was smirking from an ear to the other, while Leeteuk and Henry just stared at them surprised. What were they thinking exactly?

“I gave you that t-shirt for Christmas.” Leeteuk said.

Donghae didn’t think he could feel more embarrassed than right now… Eunhyuk just frowned and turned to Henry.

“Whatever… What are you doing here anyway?” he asked in a bad mood.

But Leeteuk didn’t seem shaken by the other’s attitude.

“I’m working!”

They glared at each other for a minute, making everyone around them uncomfortable when finally he turned to Henry, ignoring Leeteuk.

“What do we have?”

And like a good little soldier, Henry started enumerating the things he had wrote down on his pad.

“So... white male in his thirties. Some joggers found him, they went down to drink some water and saw it floating on the lake.”

“Joggers this late at night?” Eunhyuk commented, looking at his watch.

“They said they usually come running here after work. I took their company’s phone number and will confirm it tomorrow.” Henry said.

Eunhyuk nodded, approving the youngest’s initiative, and the boy just smiled proudly.

“What about the body?”

“Follow me.” Yesung said.

And they did, Leeteuk and Henry also behind them. On the ground they had put up a plastic trail for them to step on, since the ground had turned to mud they didn’t want to compromise the crime scene with their foot prints. In the meanwhile, there were many officers around them, working on finding clues. They finally arrived where the body was and Yesung handed them white latex gloves.

“We have no identification for him yet, because of the effect of the water on his skin, but he shows signs of struggle and torture.”

Eunhyuk kneeled down, leaning over the body, while Donghae looked over his shoulder. The body was not pretty to see. In addition to the wounds that scarred throughout the flesh, the water had accelerated the decomposition of the body. It wasn’t the first time the analyst was seeing a dead body, but it was his first time seeing it changed by the water, so it was hard for him to keep his eyes off the dead man.

As is he had read his mind, Yesung turned to him.

“Impressive what mother nature can do to the flesh, right?”

Impressive wasn’t the word Donghae would’ve used, but he nodded anyway and the coroner continued.

“You can see from the mark on his wrists that he was tied up and by the marks of friction he must’ve struggled against a rope or something like that and his face was beaten to the pulp. But the cause of death is that little whole in his head. A single shot wound that destroyed the brain.”

Donghae winced. Yesung was really not a person with tact.

“Seeing the deco

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter