1:11

An Evil Maknae's Guide to Motherhood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, all. Sorry for the month-long wait. Real life's stressful for me right now. Also, my dog's sick- he has a blood infection, and the meds don't seem to be doing him much good. T_T

Book 1: Impossible? It's Possible!

Chapter 11: Complications

“What’s wrong with him?!” Hankyung demanded at his cousin. He couldn’t even being to fathom what ‘complications’ might mean. The possibilities were endless, and they scared him.

If something bad happened to Kyuhyun… to that evil, snarky, pain-in-the- but still very much beloved dongsaeng of his… no, Hankyung didn’t even want to consider that possibility. Kyuhyun has to be fine. The evil maknae just has to.

“Look,” Su Yin sighed, looking as though she was trying to figure out how to break the news to Hankyung gently. “Pregnancies always comes with risk. And your friend’s pregnancy became even more complicated because he is a man… Not to mention that past car accident he was involved in before…”

“That was years ago and he fully recovered!” Hankyung immediately protested.

“It still left his body weaker.”

“What exactly went wrong in there?” Hankyung asked yet again.

“Well, Kuixian went into cardiac arrest and-“

“WHAT?!”

Good God, cardiac arrest?! Wasn’t that very serious? Hankyung felt like he too was also about to go into cardiac arrest right now with all the tension.

“It was fine, my dad managed to get his heart working properly again!” Su Yin reassured Hankyung quickly. Then, deciding that she might as well just give all the not-so-pleasant details in one go, she continued, “His heart rate still isn’t quite normal, though, and well… again, he’s a guy, and men aren’t exactly… compatible… with pregnancy and birthing. Things got messy as my uncle was trying to bring the baby out. There was a lot of bleeding, some of his organs failed under the strain, and my dad had to perform surgery on him. He’s finishing up in there right now…” Su Yin gestured helplessly towards the delivery room.

Hankyung groaned and fell into a seat. He buried his face in his hands.

“Just tell me that he’s going be alright? Please tell me he’s going to be alright?” Hankyung practically begged his cousin, peering up at her through his fingers.

Su Yin let out another sigh. As a nurse, she knew she had to maintain a sense of professionalism and never sugar coat things- the friends and family of patients should here the facts, plain and simple and exactly as they are, that was what she always believed. But it wasn’t easy now when it was her own cousin begging her to reassure him that his friend was okay.

“My dad’s doing everything he can in there,” was what Su Yin just opted to say instead. Then, she added, “As if things aren’t difficult enough, we really are just a clinic here and not an actual operating room in a hospital complete with all the fancy medical equipment…”

“Should we bring him to a hospital, then?” Hankyung asked anxiously.

“You risk people finding out that Kuixian’s here and-“

“Screw anonymity! I don’t care right now if the whole ing world finds out where he is! His life is more important! Consequences later be damned!” Hankyung snapped.

Su Yin rarely saw Hankyung get into such a temper. And swear with wild abandon. But she couldn’t really say she was surprised, given the situation.

“Kuixian’s not stable enough for us to move him right now,” she explained wearily. “Besides, I’m not sure many doctors know how to deal with a ‘male pregnancy’. Since my dad’s the one that’s been monitoring Kuixian’s situation for months now, he’s your friend’s biggest chance.”

And Hankyung knew that his uncle really was one of the best doctors, but he still couldn’t help but worry.

“Be honest with me, Su. How bad is the situation, really?” Hankyung looked right into Su Yin’s eyes.

Su Yin hesitation. “Well, not that good…”

Hankyung’s eyesight became blurry with unshed tears.

“But it’s not hopeless either,” she told Hankyung seriously. “Your friend’s strong. And stubborn. If anyone can pull through even when the chances aren’t so good, it’s him.” She gave Hankyung a tight hug. “I better go back in there now…”

As the doors closed behind his cousin and Hankyung was left alone again, he sagged in his seat.

Kyuhyun’s situation wasn’t looking too good, and Hankyung's heart cracked at that thought. Kyuhyun wasn’t exactly the most ideal dongsaeng. He was a brat. He was snarky. He insulted his elders. He played pranks on everyone. He gave ‘sarcastic’ a whole new meaning. He was evil.

But Hankyung still won’t be able to bear it if something happened to that bratty, evil maknae.

Hankyung was now having flashbacks of the time Kyuhyun got involved in the car accident many years ago. Although Kyuhyun wasn’t the only member that got injured then, it was definitely the maknae that got the worst injuries. Hankyung remembered now how all the members had been terrified to their wits' end- afraid that the maknae wouldn’t survive. Kyuhyun pulled through that time… And Hankyung couldn’t believe that he was now in another situation, wondering –fearing- the same thing all over again: will Kyuhyun make it?

It was déjà vu for Hankyung- like he had been thrown back again to the time when they were waiting to find out if Kyuhyun would survive through his injuries from the car accident. Only this time, it was worse for Hankyung. Years ago, it was ‘them’ waiting for news from the doctors and praying for the maknae’s safety. Now… now, it was only Hankyung here.

Although of course the dominant emotion in Hankyung right now is worry for the evil maknae, the situation also made him long for the other Super Junior members. He wished they were with him now. He now gained a new appreciation for the saying “pain shared is pain lessened”.

Then, suddenly, an odd thought struck him. Maybe… just maybe… he didn’t have to go through this alone.

Hankyung pulled out his phone from his pocket.

Kyuhyun had told him that Leeteuk had several phones, one of them still with the number that Hankyung had from years ago when they were still members. Surely, if Leeteuk didn’t throw away that number after years, he wouldn’t throw it away in just the months since Kyuhyun had been away from them?

Yes, there was a good chance indeed that Leeteuk would still have that number. And Leeteuk, being the good, dependable leader that he was, would surely know what to do now...

But the question is should Hankyung do it? Should he make the phone call?

The Chinese stared at his phone, contemplating. If he contacted Super Junior right now… well, he knew there’d be a hell lot of explanations he would have to give. They would not be pleased that they've all been worrying for months about Kyuhyun, only to hear that Hankyung had the maknae with him the whole time but didn't inform them. Not to mention that Kyuhyun would slaughter him when he recovers and finds out about but what Hankyung did. And there’s no way that Hankyung would be able to keep it a secret from Kyuhyun, because the crowd of Super Junior members around Kyuhyun’s bed when he wakes up would definitely be a big clue, right?

But then…

Hankyung swallowed a big lump in his throat.

It’s not really ‘when’, but ‘if’, right?

It’s not when Kyuhyun recovers and wakes up… It’s if Kyuhyun recovers and wakes up.

Tears rolled down Hankyung’s cheeks at that thought. No, as much as there would be rather awkward questions if Hankyung calls Super Junior now, he would rather face those than the questions and accusations he would get if he chooses to call much later if Kyuhyun… if Kyuhyun doesn’t make it.

They weren’t technically members anymore, but Hankyung needed them. And he knew that Kyuhyun needed them, too.

That made Hankyung’s decision. He scrolled through his contacts list and found Leeteuk’s old number. With a deep breath, he pressed ‘call’ and held it next to his ear, hoping against hope that Leeteuk still did have this number.

A few tensed seconds, and then it started ringing.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter