At My Best, At My Worst - "Are you.. okay?"

A Top Star's Competition

It was a night filming and they've just wrapped up a scene. 

Barely. 

It was the same old, same old. Jungkook poking fun at Taehyung's acting abilities and Taehyung doing the same. 

 

"We've just scraped through that one because of me." Taehyung scoffs in which Jungkook responds with a snarky, "Yeah you keep believing lies. While I'm living the truth." 

Just as Taehyung was about to say something else, his manager called him over suddenly. 

 

"Taehyung! Taehyung, hurry up! Get your bum over here. Do you not see this is an emergency!" His manager stomped over and grabbed his arm though Taehyung had no time to say anything. 

"He-woahh~!" Taehyung almost trips over his own feet as he's dragged away from a confused Jungkook. 

 

"What's wrong?" he pants when they're off the set and at the van. 

His manager s a phone at him and upon closer inspection he sees it's his manager's phone. It's on a call. 

Looking at the name, his eyes widen in surprise and he looks at his manager. 

 

Byun Jin Hee

 

That was his aunt. He didn't have the slightest clue why she would be calling. 

"Say something, she said it's an emergency." his manager says, lifting the phone himself to Taehyung's face. 

"Auntie?" Taehyung says, "What's up? I'm on set right now so sorry I didn't pick up my-" 

 

"Oh, is this you Taehyung?! I've been trying to get a hold of your family but they weren't picking up either! I had to call your manager and don't even ask how I got it but just-" 

He hears a panic stricken voice on the other end of the line, followed by some sobs. 

Growing worried, he frowns and says, "I don't know what's happening so please, if you could calm down everything will be fine." 

 

Heaving breaths, his aunt speaks shakily, "It's your cousin." she sobs. 

 

Taehyung blinks, "Which one?" 

 

She simply ignores his question, "He's been in an accident and he's in the ER. Receiving surgery, I-I think." sniffling, she continues as Taehyung wets his drying lips, "I've been trying to call your mother but I think's she's working a late shift, though she's not picking up at her workplace either." 

"I'll try calling her for you." Taehyung answers, thoughts about the filming leaves his mind even though he's on the filming grounds. "Where's Uncle?" 

"He's arriving soon. W-With Chanyeol, I think. Taehyung, I'm sorry to disturb you but I need you here, or at least your mother. Baekhyun, he-" 

Taehyung goes completely still, the rest of his aunt's words not reaching him as he hears his older cousin's name. 

 

"I'm coming." is all he says and he throws the phone at his manager, the piece of technology hitting his nose with a hard thwack. Taehyung would have laughed in a normal situation, but he didn't think there was any situation other than this one in which he'd throw a phone at his manager. 

 

Baekhyun, hold on for me. I'm coming. 

They were very close, to say the least. And Taehyung ran to Director Choi, just managing to get the words out of his already clogging throat. 

"I-I have to go. I'm sorry I can't finish filming today. My-My-my older cousin.. I have to go!" With a low bow, he makes a beeline to the van and his manager quickly steps in. 

"There's been an emergency in Taehyung's family. We'd be leaving now and we're so very sorry for this inconvenience." 

With that, he also hurries into the van as Taehyung closes the door. 

 

All this while, Jungkook had been watching and he stared at the panicking boy as he talked to the Director. 

 

Was he shaking?

Jungkook just stared with wide eyes as Taehyung ran back to the van. No one just leaves the filming site like that. 

 

Director Choi was hardly given the time to say anything, much less ask what happened and give his permission to leave. Instead, being a professional director he just clapped his hands to bring back the attention on him. 

 

"Everyone, there's been a slight change in plans. With one of our lead actors caught in a family emergency, we'll continue with the next scene. Jungkook, it's page 184 with Jinyoung." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Running into the right hospital this time after calling his aunt when he entered the wrong one, he immediately spots his aunt in his uncle's embrace as she quietly sniffles. 

He ignores the pictures being taken of him as he strides up to the couple with big steps. 

 

His uncle lifts his head when he notices a presence and his aunt gingerly looks up with teary eyes. Before he can say something, a click of a camera going off alerts Taehyung and it catches his attention. 

This time around, he stares right at a teenage girl with her mother and sternly says, "Please refrain from taking pictures at this time. I'll gladly take one with you at another time but right now I'd like some privacy for me and my family." 

Turning away, he takes his uncle and aunt's arms and pulls them up. "Let's move to the inside waiting room." 

His aunt being a teacher, jokingly says through her tears to lighten up the atmosphere, "Wrong grammer, Tae. It's 'my family and I'." 

He forces a grin and leads them further inside the hospital with his manager behind, holding off the cameras as he walks backwards comically. 

 

"Did you call your mother?" his uncle asks as they sit down outside Baekhyun's hospital room. He's not allowed visitors just yet. 

Nodding, he says, "One of her colleagues answered. They said she went out for a bit to do an errand and left her phone at the desk. He said he'd tell her to call me when she was back." 

His aunt only nods. 

"Sorry, Taehyung. You look like you've been filming for something." His uncle states, noticing his clothes. 

 

Taehyung looked down at his clothes. He wore black skinny jeans with a designer top and a leather jacket. Who would wear a leather jacket to a hospital?

Forcing out another grin, he says, "It's fine. They let me go. I think." 

It was then he realised he didn't know what happened. "What sort of accident was Baekhyun hyung in, anyway?" 

"Just, you know. Car accident. Turning a corner, a large car was going too fast and toppled sideways onto Baekhyun's little car." Uncle Byun shrugs, trying to hide the nervousness and worry. 

"Well, he did want a little car to fit his little body." Taehyung says, earning a small smile from the two. 

 

"And look where that got him." 

 

He looks up at the new voice and spots his cousin's boyfriend. Chanyeol arrived with his uncle earlier and appeared to just come back from the bathroom with red eyes. 

From crying most probably. 

"Your manager had to tell me you guys moved here from the other waiting room." Chanyeol tells Taehyung as he takes a seat next to him. 

Wordlessly, he gives the tall guy a comforting hug and Taehyung holds back his own tears as Chanyeol wraps his long arms around him. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Wringing his hands, biting his lips. Jungkook worriedly glances at the space where Taehyung's van had been 30 minutes ago. 

Being nosy, Jungkook wanted to know what happened and seeing the usually happy, snarky, annoying head of different coloured hair each month look worried, shaking and looking like he was on the verge of a mental breakdown, did not sit well with Jungkook. 

There were many NGs when all the other actor could think about was what happened to Taehyung.  

 

During their break, Jungkook took a drink of water - after making sure that there was nothing in it - and sat down on a chair. 

 

Family emergency? Something must've happened to one of his family members. 

Jungkook shook the thoughts away and put the water bottle beside him. 

 

This is so annoying, why is this worrying me? Taehyung is supposed to be a 4D alien from another planet who has nothing but sharp comebacks in his box shaped smile. 

Jungkook gets up from the chair and goes over to his manager. 

 

"Hyung." 

His manager turns to him, "Yes?" 

"Do you have Taehyung's manager's phone number?" 

"Yes, why?" his manager turns confused. 

"I need to speak with him." 

"Uh, well. Okay, that's fine, I guess." his manager agrees, though still confused. 

Handing over his phone with the contact open, he says, "Is this about the emergency they were caught up in?" 

Jungkook takes the phone and nods. 

 

The manager tries to take his phone back now, "Jungkook, you nosy boy. It's none of your business, you busybody." 

Jungkook was already running to the other side of the set, away from his manager and says, "Thanks, hyung!" 

His manager sighs. "Cheeky."

 

Jungkook clicks on the contact, Kim Nam Joon, and holds the phone up to his ear. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hearing his phone ringing, Namjoon finishes telling the last of Taehyung's fans to stop taking pictures at his point in time and takes out his phone from the pocket of his jacket. 

Kim Seok Jin. 

 

Namjoon accepts the call, thinking that Seokjin just wanted to check up on them to see if everything is fine. But the voice on the other end of the line surprises him. 

 

"Namjoon hyung!" 

Says Jungkook, not giving him enough time to even say hello. 

 

"Jungkook? Is this you?" he says. 

 

"Hi. I'm just.." 

The other trails off as he actually wondered why he called. 

 

"Jungkook?" 

 

Right. 

"Oh, right. Is, uhm.. well, what happened?" 

 

Namjoon bites his lip as he glances back to the family behind him. 

"Well, Taehyung's cousin got into an accident, from what he told me in the van. He just got out of surgery, from the looks of it." 

 

"How's Taehyu.. well, the family?" 

 

"They're looking pretty devastated. Though, I think he'll live. Doctors just left the room not too long ago and- hold it. Why am I telling you all of this?" Namjoon frowns, it wasn't even Seokjin he was talking to. 

 

"You told me 'cuz I asked.came the reply. 

 

Namjoon rolls his eyes, Of course. 

"Right, anyway. It's not my place to tell you, so goodbye. Continue filming and all should be good." Namjoon just barely finished speaking when Taehyung walked up to him. 

"Who're you talking to, hyung?" he asked, sniffling slightly with a tissue in his hand. 

 

Even though it was soft, Jungkook could hear the other speaking and he perked up. 

 

"Jungkook." Namjoon tells him. 

Taehyung frowns, hiccuping.  

"Why?" he says, confused. 

 

Namjoon just laughed, "I actually don't know. He's using Seokjin's phone to call me." 

"Seok..jin? Ah, his manager." Taehyung nods, understandingly. "What's he asking?" 

 

"KIM TAEHYUNG!" 

 

Namjoon flinched away from the phone and Taehyung raised an eyebrow, amused. Sniffing once more, he reached out a hand for the phone and Namjoon placed it in his hand. 

 

"What you calling me for, sausage peel." Taehyung said, voice slightly thick with emotion from the slight crying he did earlier. 

 

"Shuddap, vegetable compost." Jungkook replied. 

 

"At least compost is good for something." Taehyung teased, a small smile appearing on his face. 

 

"Sausage peel could be compost. Wait, sausage peel? You mean the skin on a sausage?" Jungkook asks. 

 

Taehyung lets out a small laugh, almost forgetting the state his cousin was in. Almost. The smile slowly drops off his face and he lets out a sigh, the phone still connected to his ear. 

Jungkook hears this and he bites his lip. 

 

"Are you.. okay?" 

 

"No." came a quick reply and Taehyung blinked the tears away and almost failing. He managed to stop them from falling and he quickly said, "I'm going. Film well, you breadcrumb."

He's about to hang up before Jungkook starts asking questions about what happened, but he stays on the line to hear what Jungkook had to say. 

 

"Of course! What do you expect, you bird feather!" Jungkook said, feeling the need to annoy the other out of his obvious unhappiness for even a moment. 

 

Sure enough, a small smile made it's way back on Taehyung's face after he hung up the phone. 

Sure enough, Taehyung felt that little bit better though he didn't know why. 

But sure enough, deep down he knew it was Jungkook's antics that made him laugh, stopping the tears that threatened to gather in his eyes again and spill over his soft cheeks.  

 

 

Jungkook held onto the phone, staring at the screen even after their call ended. He typed a quick reply, hoping that Taehyung still had his manager's phone and he wouldn't be sending it to Taehyung's manager instead. 

 

 

 

 

He typed a text, 

Don't cry. You'll probably look uglier than you already do. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The phone bleeps as Taehyung sits down next to Chanyeol. 

Namjoon is a few feet away and he glances at a text message notification on the screen in his hand. 

 

"What.." Namjoon frowns, as he looks at the text message. 

 

Is this text message for me or for Taehyung? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------

Hello

I hope you enjoyed the update

Sorry for a late update but I hope you nejoyed it. I actually wasn't sure what to write for this chapter or the next one even. 

It's getting hard to progress the story but I'll do my best

Thank you for the comments and some of them made me laugh

Leave a comment to let me know what you think!

Bye