XIUHAN: What (I Think) I Know

Counting to Infinity

4: Sometimes birthdays are meant to be forgotten in favor of more important things. Luhun knows this already—but Minseok doesn't.

Minseok settled his elbows into the hard surface of his desk and rested his temple on tired hands with an extended groan.

He was tired. And he was too old for this—too old to do day-after-day of data entry; too old to get by on less than eight hours of sleep; too old for a boyfriend who can't even remember Minseok's birthday. Truthfully, he was only turning 25, but that was half-fifty at least and it certainly felt old.

Luhan's forgetfulness didn't help any, either. Though his boyfriend was generally dependable when it counted, he could also be pretty spacey sometimes and Minseok was sad to realize that his 25th birthday apparently fell under the Luhan memory category of "Okay to Forget." Minseok wondered if maybe Luhan wasn't making a big deal out of it since the Chinese male had already gotten older months ago. Or maybe because he genuinely had forgotten. Minseok didn't know, but it still stung.

That's why he hadn't said anything to his boyfriend all day. They'd had breakfast together, texted all day, and face timed briefly over lunch, but Minseok refused to bring up his birthday until Luhan did. Except Luhan hadn't, and now Minseok was at his stage of the day where he shut down his computer, cracked his knuckles, stretched his back, and caught the bus home to the apartment.

Their apartment. His and Luhan's. Actually, they'd moved in together last year around this time almost exactly and Minseok had been disappointed when Luhan had forgotten that date too. His boyfriend was on a roll, it seemed.

Still, home was better than his job, so when Minseok stepped off the bus thirty minutes later, he heaved a sigh of relief and felt like he was finally able to relax after such a long and hard day. He dreaded climbing the stairs to the door, but he'd decided on the ride that it wasn't fair to be mad at Luhan when the latter didn't even know. Conversation and communication kept couples together, and this relationship was too important to ruin over a forgotten birthday.

Even if it was the big 2-5. Even if it meant a lot to Minseok that Luhan remembered. And even if it seemed like Luhan hadn't been trying very hard lately.

"Luhan?" Minseok called out curiously, expecting the customary greeting from his boyfriend and becoming more than a little confused when none came. "Are you home? Lu?"

"In here," a voice floated out from the kitchen and Minseok followed the sound tentatively, dreading the conversation he was about to start and knowing it was necessary.

"Lu," he said, subdued. "We have to ta—" Minseok's dour words were interrupted by the soft crush of petals beneath his feet as he entered the dining area and found Luhan on one knee in front of him.

"Wha...?" Minseok wondered aloud.

"Min-ah," Luhan cooed sweetly, "I love you desperately. Will you marry me?"

Minseok had no time to think about an answer. To remember that Luhan had forgotten. To wonder if this choice was the right one, the best one, the most grown up one. Instead, he followed his gut—followed his heart. "Of course!" Minseok exclaimed happily, so overcome with such love for his boyfriend—now fiancée—that he soon joined Luhan in the heap of roses on the floor.

"I love you," he whispered against Luhan's lips before pressing his own against them tenderly. The smoldering heat between their clashing teeth and warring tongues was temporarily kept at bay, though, when Luhan pulled back to look deeply into Minseok's chocolate brown eyes.

"Happy engagement day." He kissed Minseok once.

"Happy one year anniversary of living together." He kissed Minseok again.

"Happy 25th birthday." This time, Minseok was ready, and he swooped in to place a kiss on Luhan's lips before the elder was able to.

"Not so fast," Minseok interjected. "Aren't you going to give me 25 birthday kisses?"

"If you'd like," Luhan offered with a knowing grin. He pulled Minseok even closer to him and ended up toppling both their bodies from their kneeling positions to the ground. Luhan rolled so that he could prop himself up over Minseok, and placed a gentle kiss against his lover's forehead. "Where do you want them? Here?"

Minseok groaned lowly and puffed his cheeks out in annoyance; Luhan was an unbearable tease.

"I'll take that as a no?" Luhan wondered aloud, his lips trailing slowly down Minseok's face to brush at his nose and finally his plump mouth. "How about here?"

"Better," Minseok moaned out, clearly hoping for more but allowing Luhan free reign of his lips—and his body.

"Well then," Luhan said, voice tinged with promise and determination, "that was, what, three kisses so far?" He moved to nibble Minseok's earlobe and his lover shuddered underneath him. The lack of an actual kiss made Minseok pout though, which placed his cheeks back on prominent display.

"I know it's your birthday, Minnie," Luhan drawled deeply, "but I did get engaged today, so if you don't put those cheeks away right, I might make you use them on me as a present later."

Minseok made no complaint, just closed his eyes as Luhan's lips continued ghosting across his face and down his neck. Luhan kissed the sensitive spot just under Minseok's left ear and counted breathlessly, "Four."

A kiss against Minseok's pulse. "Five."

Over one eyelid. "Six."

A nip at Minseok's chin and a swipe of Luhan's tongue across the younger's lips. "Seven."

Three lingering kisses to create a trio of blooming bruises against Minseok's collarbone. "Eight. Nine. Ten."

Minseok groaned again, tired of Luhan's teasing and more than ready for the actual fun to begin. "Just kiss me already!" He urged his lover as he pulled Luhan down so their lower halves met with delicious friction and Minseok's shoulders dug into the hardwood floor.

"My pleasure." Luhan said, before crashing his lips against Minseok's for a more intimate embrace. (Minseok could tell from the hardness of his lover's crotch against his own that Luhan meant that—literally.)

Dedicated to December96 for being the first to give me an actual prompt. Thank you and I hope you liked it!