BAEKYEOL: If You Wanna Know, Here It Goes

Counting to Infinity

13: Baekhyun likes to tease Kai for his first day crush on Kyungsoo. At least, he did until Chanyeol spilled the beans on how they got together. Afterward, Kai had enough ammo to retaliate that Baekhyun didn't dare. MainPairing!BaekYeol, Side!Kaisoo

It was the next day—aka the day after Kai's first day, aka the the day after the worst day of his life, aka the day after Do Kyungsoo called him cute twice and Kai's response was a few stutters and a quick exit immediately after the bell like a madman—and Kai was scanning the outdoor picnic tables for a familiar face, hoping he wouldn't have to eat alone on his second day as the new kid. Luckily, a few seconds of searching found Baekhyun at the far corner of the collection of tables, waving cheerfully and shouting for him to join them.

The them he was talking about was an odd collection of students; Baekhyun and his boyfriend were there, but so was Kyungsoo and even Tao, the scary Chinese boy who'd sat next to Kai in art yesterday. Truthfully, this sight wasn't really a strange one because Kai's new school kept boarding students as well as daytime-only ones, so he supposed it was normal for friend groups to be somewhat unique in their members.

Kai watched as an equally scary looking boy slid into the spot next to Tao and pecked him lightly before turning to greet everyone else. This person was someone new to Kai—like most of the school's population, actually—but the obvious indication that Tao was his boyfriend made Kai wonder if all of his new friends were gay. Since he was as well that certainly didn't bother him, he just wished that maybe Kyungsoo was too.

Making his way over to where Baekhyun was still waving madly, Kai muttered a subdued "Hello" before placing his tray on the table and sitting gingerly on the seat between Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. His cheeks felt like they were on fire and he hated Baekhyun for nudging his ribs knowingly and waggling his eyebrows in Kyungsoo's direction.

"Hi!" A chirpy, yet somehow still deep, voice pulled Kai from his shy embarrassment. He looked up to the vaguely scary sight of Baekhyun's boyfriend grinning at him broadly with his hand out for Kai to shake. "You're Baek's new friend, right?" He didn't even wait for a nod from Kai before he continued. "I'm Park Chanyeol, boyfriend extraordinaire."

Kai smiled crookedly at him; he liked Baekhyun and Baekhyun clearly liked Chanyeol so Kai figured the tall, lanky senior wouldn't be too bad an addition to his meager list of new friends. "I've heard," Kai teased drily, earning a harrumph from Baekhyun and a proud flush across Chanyeol's cheeks, but most importantly to Kai, an under-the-breath snort from Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun caught Kai blushing that he'd made Kyungsoo laugh and leaned toward the new kid conspiratorially. "So how's that crush going?" His voice was loud and carried across the table so that even Tao and his boyfriend—who'd been obliviously feeding each other and generally lost in their own lovey-dovey world—heard Baekhyun's question and looked up in interest.

Kai shifted uncomfortably under the entire table's scrutiny and he studiously avoided Kyungsoo's interested gaze as he took a long swig of his chocolate milk and nearly killed himself by choking on it. The sound of his hacking must have been horrible because Baekhyun looked at him pityingly, but then winked suddenly when Kyungsoo's warm hands started patting and rubbing Kai's back.

"Try humming," Kyungsoo advised sweetly, "it works for me."

"Can't," Kai coughed out, "sing."

Chanyeol, of all people, laughed at that; he hadn't thought he could sing either but then Baekhyun came into his life and now Chanyeol was even in a band. It's not that he hadn't sung before, he just hadn't thought he was very good at it.

"It's alright," he comforted a still coughing Kai. "I'm sure your crush won't mind. Mine didn't," he paused to smile indulgently at Baekhyun, "and things still worked out pretty well for me."

"Oh god, Park-park," Baekhyun groaned, "don't tell him that story. Please don't. I'm serious. No kisses for a week."

Kai thought his friend sounded pretty serious about that threat but Chanyeol ignored him so maybe Baekhyun's self-control wasn't as good as he projected it to be. "Um," Kai glanced warily at a glaring Baekhyun but he wanted to know so he made a decision and turned to Chanyeol. "What's he talking about?"

"How we met, obviously." Chanyeol was clearly excited about telling their story to someone who'd never heard it; all the rest of them, excluding Baekhyun, had been friends since freshman year and had probably heard the story enough to narrate it themselves.

"Oh god," Baekhyun repeated forlornly, burying his face in his boyfriend's chest while Chanyeol just grinned, wrapped his arms around him, and started speaking.

"So back in the day," he began.

"We were sophomores," Baekhyun muttered in interruption, "hardly a long time ago."


Chanyeol patted Baekhyun's hair while Kyungsoo laughed and Tao went back to feeding his boyfriend. "Anyway," he continued, undisturbed, "None of us really knew Baek because he liked to hang with the sunbaes since all his classes were advanced. So smart, our Baekhyun," he cooed. Kai rolled his eyes, but Kyungsoo whispered a sardonic, "Get used to it," in his ear and made him blush again.

Baekhyun, who seemed to have eyes in the back of his head or something, caught their interaction and winked at Kai before pecking his boyfriend once in thanks for the compliment.

Chanyeol smiled down at him, then took a quick bite of his sandwich. "So he liked to hang out with them, right, and one day he and Luhan sunbae were doing homework together, calculus or something."

"Chemistry," Baekhyun corrected.

"A hard math related thing," Chanyeol compromised. "But then Luhan sunbae's boyfriend, Minseok sunbae, texted to say he was coming to pick him up. So then Luhan sunbae was like, "Ottoke? Our hoobae's going to be all alone!""

Baekhyun scoffed at his boyfriend's dramatics, but said nothing as Chanyeol's story progressed. "Baek was lucky though because Luhan sunbae had a friend who was one year older than us and he called Sehun-hyung over to talk to Baek since Luhan sunbae had to leave."

The story contained a lot of names of people that Kai didn't know; he had a hard enough time keeping track of all his new friends and he wasn't sure he could remember who was who in this situation. "Wait, so this Sehun-hyung wasn't Luhan sunbae's boyfriend, or was he?"

"No, no," Baekhyun pulled away from Chanyeol's embrace and turned his irritation on Kai. "Minseok sunbae dated Luhan sunbae and Sehun-hyung was dating a girl then but now I think he's actually dating Minseok sunbae." That explanation confused Kai even further, but he didn't have time to process this new information because Kyungsoo intervened.

"Don't be mean, Baekhyun," he scolded, to Kai's blushing delight. "It's literally his second day and he doesn't know any of these people personally. He barely knows us."

"Which is why I'm telling him our love story," Chanyeol interjected before Baekhyun could get offended enough with Kyungsoo for the two of them to start bickering—it had happened before. "He'd find out from one of you eventually anyway, and this way at least he'll have his facts straight."

"Apparently not," Baekhyun pouted, "he thought Luhan sunbae was dating Sehun-hyung. Hilarious."

"Like I was saying," Chanyeol interjected once more, "Luhan sunbae left Baek to Sehun-hyung, but that hyung is a little awkward on a good day, so Baek just went back to doing his calculus while Sehun-hyung talked at him."

Baekhyun sighed. "It was chemistry. And you weren't even there yet."

"For someone who didn't want him to tell the story," Kyungsoo teased, "you sure have a lot of commentary about it."

"Shut up." Baekhyun stuck his tongue out and Chanyeol must have thought it was cute because he kissed him before he started talking again.

"So anyway, things were awkward and Baek was trying to do homework and Sehun-hyung was uncomfortable or something, I don't know really. But then he saw me walk by with my guitar on the way to one of the practice rooms—we were friends before he graduated—so he waved me over. Since I'm a wild party animal," he paused and everyone else at the table laughed, even Tao and his boyfriend.

"Clearly," Kai agreed in encouragement and Kyungsoo smiled at him in shared amusement.

"I am!" Chanyeol declared hotly. "So I walked over while playing my guitar because our Baek's cute, right, and I thought that maybe I'd, like, serenade him or something."

"I was a few tables over," Kyungsoo contributed his perspective too, "and the sight of Yeol with his long hair playing the guitar and trying to sing while he walked toward Baekhyun was hilarious. You're so lanky, Yeol, that it was funny to see you doing so much at once while still trying to look cool."

"Excuse me," Baekhyun defended, "our Park-park's the coolest."

"Hey!" Tao piped up, "I remember those days. We used to call you "Long Hair, Don't Care!""

"Don't remind me, okay?" Chanyeol grumbled, albeit good naturedly. "And can I finish my story now? Jeez," he commented to Kai directly, "it's like the peanut gallery up in here."

His aside received the obligatory laugh in response and Chanyeol, seemingly satisfied, started to wrap up his reminiscing. Before he could, though, Baekhyun interrupted and finished the story himself. "But Sehun-hyung had been on his phone while I was drowning in organic formulas and what not, so I thought the guitar was just his ringtone or something at first."

"An honest mistake," Kai admitted generously.

"Right?" Baekhyun agreed feelingly. "But then I heard this, like, perfect voice singing and I was all, "Omo, Sehun sunbae, who's your ringtone?" But then I felt like an idiot because Park Chanyeol was sitting right there and serenading me and I didn't even know because I was doing freaking chemistry!"

"The best part of this whole story," a new voice added, and it took Kai a few seconds to realize it was Tao's boyfriend speaking, "I'm Kris, by the way. Hi."

Kai waved and Kris continued to recite from memory—he hadn't been there but he'd heard about it more than once. "The best part of all this is that Chanyeol saw that it was Chemistry that Baekhyun was working on so he grinned like a grease ball and said, I kid you not because he actually said this, "Oh, is that Chemistry you're working on? I'll bet you're good at it, right? I mean, how else could you explain our chemistry right now?" And it actually worked!" It had been almost two years but Kris was still amazed that Chanyeol's cheesy line had been successful.

"I could hear Baek's groan from across the courtyard," Kyungsoo confirmed to Kai's dubious expression, "but then he just curled his fingers and blushed to the tips of his ears. I could see that from across the courtyard too."

"Shut up," Baekhyun repeated, obviously quite embarrassed by the whole thing. "How was I supposed to know that cheesy was totally my type?"

Chanyeol thumped himself proudly on the chest with a huge grin. "And there you have it," he told Kai, "the story of how our love came to be." He paused for a moment as if he couldn't quite remember why they'd gotten on the subject in the first place but then remembered suddenly and winked at Kai much like Baekhyun had done earlier. "Anyway," he encouraged, "all I'm saying is that you're crush won't care if you can sing or not because if I could get such an amazing boyfriend even with long hair and really bad pick up lines, I'm sure you can too!"

The warning bell rang right as he finished his sentence and Kai looked sadly down at the lunch he'd been too distracted to eat. Kyungsoo noticed his disappointment and nudged his gently. "You've got history with Baek next, right?"

When Kai nodded, Kyungsoo reached into his backpack and pulled out a box of Pocky. "That teacher's pretty cool," he elaborated, shoving the snack into Kai's hands and glancing down shyly. "He doesn't care if you eat in his class as long as you don't make too much noise. So here."

Kai's blush still lingered, even as he and Baekhyun took their seats side-by-side in their history classroom.

"You've got it so bad for him," Baekhyun teased with a grin. "And it's only your second day!"

"Shut up," Kai countered, echoing Baekhyun's words from earlier before smirking mischievously. "Like you're one to talk," he added. "I can't believe you fell for a Rapunzel giant who was so socially inept that he needed a guitar, a wingman, and your homework to get you to go out with him."

"Yah, Kim Jongin," Baekhyun yelled, using Kai's full name and glancing around the rest of a room with a grimace. He lowered his voice greatly when he said, "My Park-park's just a romantic, okay. Who are you calling socially inept, you loser who can barely communicate when Do Kyjngsoo's within 25 meters?"

"Rude," Kai muttered at Baekhyun as the teacher entered the room for the start of class. "And if you say one more thing about it in front of everyone like you did at lunch today," he threatened with a teasing glare, "I totally won't hold back in including your adorably nerdy love story as part of my new kid introduction speech."

He smirked at his friend while Baekhyun gaped in horror. "Can you imagine? "Hello, I'm Kim Kai and it's my second day here. Oh, by the way, did you hear about how Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun first met?""

"Eat your damn Pocky," Baekhyun ordered, covering his face in embarrassment as he imagined what that would be like for him if Kai actually followed through.

Kai thought of Kyungsoo's sweet gesture and the other boy's shy smile as he'd shared his snacks, and his insides instantly warmed as his stomach butterflies returned with added vigor. He blushed and pulled one stick from the pack, taking a huge bite and favoring the sweetness of the strawberry frosting. To Baekhyun, though, he merely said, "Don't tell me what to do," before returning to his food and his pleasant ponderings on the flavor of Kyungsoo's heart-shaped lips.

He thought they'd probably taste faintly of strawberries, too.

This became a monster that's way longer than a Drabble but I had to see the story to the end. Also, since I wrote a sequel of sorts for one of the other drabbles, I guess I can do another. Up next: SuLay margarita date. You ready?