Chapter 27

Protecting The One

Sungyeol was running down the hallways, trying to find his group of friends. He had even bump into several people but he didn’t care. All he needed was to find his friends and share the news. There at the canteen, he saw them gathering at their usual table and he made his way there in the shortest time possible.

 

Panting very hardly, he had to take a deep breath first before being able to talk. “I… I… guys I… I did it!” He took another deep breath. “I did it!” He waved his results slips in their faces. Sungyeol had passed all his subjects, which also meant that he was closer to graduating, instead of staying back a year.

 

“Wow, congratulations Sungyeol.” Woohyun genuinely clapped for his friend. Sungyeol hadn’t been the smartest in the group but he sure tried the hardest this time round, for fear that all his friends would graduate except him. The others had seemingly good results and of course, Hoya, L and Sunggyu did exceptionally well. Eunji didn’t fare that badly herself but she wasn’t the best. She was average in her cohort but she felt that she did well enough for her own standard.

 

“Congratulations oppa! For being first in the cohort again.” Eunji smiled as she gave Hoya a hug before she handed him a bottle of banana milk followed by a kiss on the cheek.

 

“How about me?” L asked out loud unknowingly. He mentally cursed himself for being so straightforward and embarrassing in front of his love. What if Eunji got the wrong idea?

 

Eunji turned around to face L, she gave him a knowing smile before she brought out another banana milk from the back where she had it hidden. “Of course I didn’t forget about you! Congrats for the good results too.”

 

“Only for your neightbours? How about me?” Sunggyu stared in disbelief. To think he cared for her so much but she didn’t even get him a congratulatory drink for excelling the midterms. He had even faked hurt to which Woohyun scolded him for being such a drama queen.  

 

Eunji looked around shyly and immediately ran away to get another banana milk. “I’ll be right back!”

 

“Yah! You don’t have to! I’m just kidding! YAH SONG EUNJI!” Sunggyu shouted at her back view but boy, that girl was fast.

 

After school ended, the golden trio walked back home together, except that Minhyuk was coming to pick Hoya up at his old place where he will walk Eunji home first before heading back. The sweet couple was walking hand in hand where else L had his hands on his bag strap, to avoid feeling awkward. It has been months since they first started dating but L still hadn’t gotten used to the fact.

 

“Oppa, you need to get a girlfriend soon, so we can go on a double date.” Eunji suggested and Hoya nodded in agreement.

 

L gave an awkward laugh, “we’ll see about that.” The only one he wants as his girlfriend was Eunji and Eunji only. “You just have too high standards. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen you dated anyone.” Eunji pointed out. L flushed and looked away in another direction so that they couldn’t see his red face and he quickened his pace.

 

“Oppa! Why are you rushing off!” Eunji laughed while she teased L about being single his whole life.

 

The trio finally separated ways when Minhyuk was right in front of the Kim’s porch waiting for Hoya.

 

Eunji gave him a kiss on his cheek before watching the luxury car drive away into the sunset. L held his hand out to Eunji, like a prince asking permission to hold a lady’s hand, leaving Eunji wondering what was it for.

 

“You told me to look for a girlfriend, how about I start with the girl living next door? Care to come over for dinner?” He gave the widest smile he has ever given to anyone. Honestly, he had no idea what made him so courageous but why not? L has been chickening out every time Hoya was around. It was just so suddenly he felt that he had the guts to do this.

 

Eunji laughed it off as though it was a joke, not knowing that L was serious about it. She put her hand in his and walked hand in hand with him back inside his house. “Of course, L oppa.”

 

At Lee’s mansion

 

The Lee’s were having dinner quietly at the dining area. It was brightly lit with European furniture and a chandelier hanging on the ceiling. The walls had vintage wallpaper with flowery designs on it. The whole area in general was huge, huge and huge. It was bigger than Hoya has ever imagined it to be. Even after a week of living there, he still could not get used to the place. Despite having dinner with his ‘family’, he ate his dinner in silence and did not look up at anyone.

 

Mrs Lee cut the piece of steak in front of her but did not proceed to eat it. She glanced towards Hoya as he looked down on his plate. “Howon-ah, how’s living here? Are you used to it?”

 

Her question broke the silence and Hoya looked up, stunned. He was speechless because honestly, he was not used to this luxurious lifestyle and he misses Mrs Kim’s own cooking. “Yes Howon, if you feel uncomfortable, do let me know.” Mr Lee smiled at him. Even Hyeri stopped eating, curious about Hoya’s answer. Sensing everybody’s eyes on him, he set down his cutlery and nodded shyly.

 

“I’m still getting used to it but they have been taking care of me.” Hoya pointed to the maids and gave them a slight bow, causing some of them to squeal in awe thanks to his charms.

 

“That’s good to hear.” Mr Lee nodded and continued his dinner. Mrs Lee then gave a slight smirk, which Hoya swore it was a smirk that wasn’t obvious to the others. “I wouldn’t expect you to get used to it so fast but if you have anything you’re not comfortable about, do let me know.” She poked her fork in the piece of meat she cut earlier and ate it while keeping her glance at Hoya. “My husband is always so busy with work so I’m in charge of the house.”

 

That sent chills down his bones. Hoya froze in his seat, not knowing how to respond to Mrs Lee. She broke off the gaze and continued with her dinner.

 

“Or you can let Hyeri know too.” Mr Lee shot a glance at his wife. It was as though he didn’t trust his wife enough to leave Hoya in her care. Well, Mr Lee is pretty skeptical about it and so he’s not taking any chances. “I’m sure Hyeri will be more than willing to help, right Hyeri?”

 

“Neh, abeoji.”

 

The dinner continued in silence for a while more before Mrs Lee broke the silence yet again. It was as though the husband and wife were having a fight and they’re both not backing down until one of them wins. “Howon-ah, you have ben dating for awhile now, how about you bring that girl home for dinner someday?”

 

“No!”

 

All eyes on the table turned to the owner of the voice. Hyeri suddenly shouted out causing everybody to drop what they were doing to stare at her. Hoya raised an eyebrow at her, confused by her actions. Hyeri nervously shifted in her seat and laughed, “I mean, oppa hasn’t even gotten used to our home yet, don’t you think bringing home his girlfriend is too fast?” Her palms were starting to sweat.

 

“I don’t think that’s a problem. It’s just a dinner.” Mrs Lee said coldly.

 

Hyeri shifted in her seat again. In front of her parents, she was a goody two shoes. If Eunji were to appear and tell them about the bullying, she would be in big trouble.

 

“I don’t see what’s a problem with that too. Howon-ah, do invite her over some time next week.” Mr Lee said enthusiastically. Hyeri gave up at the topic because there was no way her parents were going to side with her for this one.

 

--

 

“Mwoh?!” Eunji shot back at the person in front of her. “I can’t do this. I can’t have dinner with my worst nemesis on the same table.”

 

“Please Eunji, I’ll be there too. I’ll take care of you.” Hoya begged.

 

“I can’t even stand the sight of her and now you want me to have dinner with her? On the same table? I can’t do it.” Eunji shuddered at the thought of having to see Hyeri at the same dinner table, that horrible smirk and confident look she had just made her feel sick.

 

“Please—“ Hoya was cut off by the school bell before he could even make his point. Eunji took her books from her locker and shut it with a slam. Just the thought of Hyeri made her blood boil. “We’ll talk about this after school. See you later.” And she walked off, leaving Hoya in the hallway, without giving him a goodbye kiss, which she usually does. Hoya sighed and walked in the opposite direction to class.

 

 

 

 

 


Sorry for making you guys wait so long for the next update! I think I say this every time I update that school has been killing me. Next week I had many reports due and presetations as well so yeah, shoot me already. Anyway, I'm glad that I got an update and I hope that you guys are prepared as things are turning up a bit...... hehehehehhehehehhee just wait for it! Have a nice weekend everybody! :) Much love to my readers and do leave me a comment!