Chapter 16

Protecting The One

Finally, it was Christmas, the day our dear Woohyun was waiting for. He was in such a good mood the entire day that even the usually grumpy Sunggyu seemed to have caught his disease and was actually excited for Christmas! It was also the families’ last night at the resort before heading back to their homes hence they all gathered together to celebrate Christmas.

 

 

 

 

 

The infinite members hung out during the day and as usual, there was a lot of commotion and they had even played another round of snowball fight. As dusk approaches, they then headed back to the resort to meet up with the elders and  set off for Christmas dinner.

 

After having a grand dinner at one of the resort’s restaurant (which was being paid by Sungyeol’s father), they returned to their individual rooms to start packing up. However, for the kids, it was secret Santa time.

 

Sungyeol had collected all their presents in this huge red sack that resembles Santa’s bag of goodies. “Okay, first one!” He dug in and picked up the largest box. On it, Sungjong’s name was written. Sungjong reached for it and started opening the present. “Whoa daebak!” Inside, it contained many different snacks and sweets, which Sungjong liked. He immediately took out one lemon candy and began eating.

 

“So, who do you think gave it to you?” Dongwoo asked.

 

“Ah, that’s easy. It’s you, hyung.”

 

Dongwoo’s face reddened since Sungjong got it right on the first try. “Oh, really?” He gave an awkward smile and scratched the back of his head.

 

“Next, will be Dongwoo!” Sungyeol took out Dongwoo’s present and handed it over to him. He ripped away the wrapper and found himself an Adidas jacket with matching track pants. “Oh my gosh! I love this! Who’s my secret Santa?! Eunji, is it you? Woohyun? Sungyeol?”

 

“Calm down Dongwoo hyung, it was me.” L raised his hand and gave a satisfied smile. “Knew you’ll like it.” Sungyeol then reached into the bag and gabbed onto L’s present, it was quite a small box and it made him curious. To his surprise, it was a leather friendship bracelet. It even had his name—Kim Myungsoo, carved out in exquisite penmanship. L was stunned by the expensive looking gift. He turned to Eunji and raised his eyebrows, wondering if it was from her. She shook her head and gave him the “I don’t know who is it either” shrug, leaving him disappointed.

 

“It was me. I hope you like it.” Hoya spoke up and gave L a toothy smile. “You love these kind of bracelets so I figured to get you one with your name on it.”

 

“Thank you hyung, I love it.” To be honest, L really loved the gift. It was so thoughtful of Hoya to actually get a real leather bracelet AND engrave his name on it. He was grateful for the gift but he also felt guilty. Of what? He wasn’t sure, but there was just this guilty feeling lingering in him, which he tired to suppress it before the guilt eats him alive.

 

Next in line to receive a present was Hoya and when he opened his present, it was the latest headset model that was sold out in a few hours of its launch. His mouth formed an O shape as he was too shocked to even respond.

 

“Yah! Who gave this! I thought we all agreed no over the top expensive gifts? What does that make of my present then?” Sunggyu complained.

 

Woohyun gave a shy smile before raising his hand. “I got this at a discounted price so don’t worry Hoya, it wasn’t very expensive.” He then turned towards Sunggyu and had a change in tone. “Yah! His old earpiece had spoiled and as a good friend, what’s the problem in getting him a new one! Told you my gift was daebak.” He gave a satisfied smug.

 

Sunggyu was about to say something else but Eunji butted it. It would not have ended if it weren’t for her. “Let’s move on! I’m excited for mine!”

 

Woohyun’s turn was next and he received a branded dress shirt that he has been eyeing for awhile. His reaction was huge when he received it and anyone could tell he was a happy kid. “Eunji, tell me it was you who gave me this, I really love it!”

 

“Oppa, it’s not me.” Eunji laughed at his reaction.

 

“If it’s not you, then who?”

 

“It’s me.” The eldest amongst them all raised his hand.

 

“Why does it have to be you? Why can’t it be Eunji? I want to receive a gift from her!” Woohyun whined, seeing that it was Sunggyu who gave him the present.

 

“Why can’t you just be grateful towards me!” And so, the bickering started again. Seeing how they were arguing made Eunji smile at the childish pair. She leaned towards Hoya and whispered in his ear. “They’re really like some married couple.” In which Hoya nodded eagerly in agreement.

 

Next up was Sunggyu and he received a pair of shoes of his favourite brand. At first he thought it was Sungyeol who gave the present but it turned out to be Eunji. Finding out it was from the only girl in the group, the rest were disappointed since they all wanted to be the one who received her present. “Sorry oppas, maybe next time.” She shrugged.

 

“Thanks Eunji! IT IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT EVER!!!! Did I mention I love Christmas?” He ran up to Eunji to give her a big hug, scoring a glare from Woohyun. “Since when did you like Christmas?! Stop stealing my princess away!”

 

Despite it all, it was finally Eunji’s turn and she received a bag from Sungyeol. “Now you can bring this to school and be reminded of me everyday!”

 

“Why do I want to be reminded of you everyday, Sungyeol oppa?”

 

“Burn!” Dongwoo yelled. Hoya gave Eunji a wink as the others teased Sungyeol.

 

Last but not least, Sungyeol received a wallet from Sungjong. He claimed that the present is to teach Sungyeol how to save. Since Sungyeol grew up in a rich family, he never needed to worry about money and Sungjong wanted to help him to save up for college. “You’ve got to at least start somewhere.”

 

After exchanging gifts and being jealous of each other’s gifts, especially Sunggyu’s pair of shoes, the members went to watch tv and relax on the last day of their staycation. Eunji was quietly watching ‘A Christmas Tale’ on the tv when Hoya suddenly came over and pulled her away. L noticed their movement and wondered where Hoya was taking her. He had a sudden urge to follow but he remained in his seat. Suddenly, ‘A Christmas Tale’ turned into ‘A Christmas Nightmare’. He couldn’t focus on the movie and kept wondering about the couple.

 

Hoya dragged Eunji out to the balcony. Seeing that she only had her jacket on, he went back inside to take her winter coat to prevent her from catching a cold. From his pocket, he took out a pair of gloves and put it on her, all without saying a word. Eunji was touched by his actions. Hoya has never been good at his words but his action shows it all. His affection for her moved her so much that she couldn’t help but fall in love with him all over again. The same as when she found him half in his room.

 

“This Christmas, I have a gift for you.” Hoya said excitedly but before he could give the gift to her, he was stopped. “Oh! Me too!” Eunji hurriedly ran back into her room to get her gift for her boyfriend. The others were just calmly watching tv in the living room, not really noticing the two. Except for L.

 

She hid his present behind her back and requested for him to close his eyes. “Mwoh yah, I told you I’ve a present for you first.” He complained but did exactly as told. “Shhhh, oppa, just close your eyes!” She reaches out her hand to wave in front of him just to make sure it’s closed tightly before taking out his gift. She took the new iPod she got for him and plugged her own earpiece in before putting it in his ears. Hoya jumped at the contact but Eunji reassured him that everything is fine by cupping his face. With a click, she played current favourite song for him to listen.

 

At that moment, Hoya was confused. To open his eyes or not? Is this this gift she wanted to give him? To enjoy the music? He has way to many questions in his mind but he kept his eyes closed tightly. After half the song has been played, Eunji took out one of the ear buds and whispered in his ear. “Oppa, you can open your eyes now.” Hoya slowly peeped to make sure there was nothing shocking and found Eunji smiling brightly at him.

 

“Jjajan! Merry Christmas oppa! I hope you love the song because your present is… this!” She held up the latest iPod model. Turns out, Hoya’s precious iPod and earpiece got soaked in water when he was caught in a rainy day. Both turned out spoiled and couldn’t be of use anymore. “I know how much you love music and how you love dancing to it.” She looked down, suddenly feeling shy about her own present. “Therefore, I got you a new iPod. Hopefully it matches with the new earpiece you received!”

 

“I’ve also added in a few of my favourite songs so you can take a listen…” Her words trailed off as she was becoming shy in front of Hoya. He has good taste in music so she wondered what he’d say about her taste in music.

 

Hoya places his hands on her shoulders, “I know I’ll love it.” He reached out for his new gift and knows that he’s going to cherish this gift for a long long time. Reaching his hand into his pocket, he took the courage and held out a small box—Eunji’s gift.

 

He gave it to her without a word, causing Eunji to be flustered. She carefully opened the maroon box only to find a beautiful ring in it. Looking at it closer, she saw her name engraved on the inside of the ring. “Ommo! Oppa! You shouldn’t have! It must’ve been so costly! I can’t accept this!”

 

“Aniya, maybe just the engravings but don’t worry, it’s not too much.” He took out the ring and put it on her finger. “You shouldn’t have gotten me such an expensive gift too.”

“But I want to.”

 

“So do I.”

 

Hoya admired the ring after putting it on, “Eunji-ah, someday I want to be able to put a real diamond ring on this finger. Wait for me okay?” Eunji blushed at his sudden words; she was at a loss of words. “Oppa…” And Eunji got cut off by Hoya’s kiss on the lips. His lips felt soft against hers and she moved in sync to his as he lead her on in the kiss. The sweet feeling lingered even after they broke off and Eunji was just resting in Hoya’s arms, looking at the stars that decorated the night sky.

 

L couldn’t help himself and was spying at the couple out in the balcony and he could see everything that they’ve been doing. Every touch was a jab to his heart and the last kiss just killed him off. As though someone pulled the trigger right at his head, point blank. Seeing how Hoya got Eunji a ring as well, he felt that he has lost this match. Whatever he has given to Eunji doesn’t matter anymore. He has totally lost to his opponent, who happened to be his best friend and brother.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hey guys! So here's another update before the next weekend (Yeah, I'm only free to update on weekends now but I'll try to update as often as I can!) Previous chapter was more of L so here's more of Hoya! (tbh I love them both in this story hahahahaha halp) But I kinda feel bad for L as well. He deserves his happiness, so evil me should stop friend-zoning him but... we shall see!!

Leave a comment on what you think of this chapter and how the story's going, I will really appreciate it if you do!!!!!! Suscribers are of course, LOVED. Kisses for all, I'll see you guys next weekend! Ciao! 

 

By the way, did anyone realise the lemon candy and Sungjong? and the over the top expensive gift?????? HAHAHAHA OK I REALLY GOT TO GO. See y'all!!!