Chapter 41

Protecting The One

Something was wrong. Something was very very wrong. L could tell. There was something off about this girl standing right in front of him but he couldn’t bring himself to say it out loud because he was just glad that she was up and moving. Not sitting in the living room doing nothing again.

 

L had gotten a job at the neighbourhood ice cream café and he managed to convince Eunji to work there with him as well, so he could keep and eye on her. It wasn’t hard actually, to convince her to work with him. He just casually brought up the question and she agreed. What shocked L the most was after that walk in the park, Eunji seemed like a changed person.

 

No more sitting in the living room staring into space, she became cheerful again. However, the transition was so sudden that it made L doubtful. Something was definitely wrong with Eunji. Everybody else couldn’t tell but L could. She was still not over the absence of Hoya and she’s faking it. Faking it to be strong, faking it so people would stop worrying about her, but L knew better. He always knows.

 

Besides the both of them, there was another girl with the name of Kim Soojin working at the ice cream café. She was a pleasant girl but anybody could tell she had a small crush on L. Heck, who wouldn’t have a crush on him?

 

“Oppa, do you have anything after your shift today?” Soojin asked just as the café had emptied after the last of the peak hour customers left. L glanced at Eunji wiping the tables and replied nonchalantly, “I’m not free.”

 

Soojin whined, “why is it every time I ask you out you’re not free? Can’t you just make time for me once?”

 

“Sorry Soojin, I’m really not free.” L turned around to face the other girl who was pouting at the moment. To him, none of these aegyo tactics work because his heart has already decided on a girl, a girl he couldn’t have no matter what he does.

 

“L oppa has nothing on later doesn’t he?” Eunji appeared out of nowhere and gave L a nudge. She wanted L to go out and have some fun. Eunji knows that L is just retraining himself because of her and also because he still likes her. That much, she could tell.

 

“In fact, I do.” L replied as-a-matter-of-factly to Eunji.

 

“Like?” She challenged.

 

“Like taking you out to dinner. We haven’t eaten out in awhile.” L quickly made up something and even he was surprised by his own ability to make something up so last minute.

 

“Right.” Eunji gave up and just placed the dirty ice cream cups down before heading to clear the others.

 

She knew that L was still in love with her but at the moment, she can’t even think about love. She was just holding herself together, afraid that she would fall apart if she didn’t try hard enough. No, she wasn’t over Hoya yet. She wasn’t over the whole “Hoya left for America” thing as well, but seeing how hard L tried, she gave in. she tried to return to the bubbly girl she was but it was hard. Putting up a strong front was much harder.

 

Eunji thought that L wouldn’t know that it was all an act, but boy she was wrong.

 

--

 

L and Eunji were at Eunji’s favourite seafood restaurant and L was removing the shells of the crab to feed Eunji. “Oppa, I’m a grown girl, I can do this myself.”

 

“I know, but I want to do it for you.”

 

Eunji sighed and just let L continue whatever he was doing. “Oppa, I know you’re not over me, but I’m sorry I cannot—“

 

“There you go.” L interrupted Eunji before she could even finish her sentence as he placed the nicely shelled crabmeat on her plate. “The guys are coming over tomorrow, they want to have dinner with you. Are you okay with that?”

 

The last time she actually saw the other guys was the time when they sent Hoya off at the airport so yes, she misses them as much as they miss her. Eunji gave a nod and smiled, dropping the topic she wanted to touch on earlier.

 

During the walk back home after dinner, it was silent because L didn’t know what to say and Eunji had a lot on her mind. Unconsciously, the both of them had walked to the playground that they frequent. Eunji took a seat on the swings and L followed suit, not knowing what to say to make her smile.

 

Quietly, Eunji asked, “did he… did he contact you lately?”

 

Immediately, L knew who she was referring to. The ‘he’ in the question was no doubt Hoya. “He did.”

 

Eunji was silent even though she wanted to ask how was he doing. She wanted to know so much but her head kept telling her not to. For if she does, she’ll fall deeper into the hole and not be able to get up.

 

However, L wouldn’t be L if he didn’t know what Eunji was thinking. He could read it all on her face. “Hyung’s doing fine. He’s settled in his new home pretty nicely with the bodyguards and his school starts the same time as us so he’s been taking English lessons for the time being.”

 

“That’s nice to hear.” Eunji managed to mutter out those words. In fact, she was struggling to keep those tears from falling.

 

L sat on the swing, unable to keep his on Eunji as his gaze shifted to the stars. “Eunji-ah,” he started, “I know you are not over hyung, but I will always be here for you. One day… I hope that you will give me a chance, to show you how much I really love you.”

 

Eunji’s tears fell and she sobbed silently on the swing. Who knows how long she’ll be able to get over Hoya? As if she didn’t already feel bad enough that L has always been there for her since the start. *I’m sorry L oppa, I’m so so so sorry.*

 

--

 

The next day, after they all had ended their work, they each came over to L’s house for dinner individually. Sunggyu was working as an usher for events and concerts, for which he hopes that he’ll be able to usher for Nell’s concert someday. Woohyun and Sungyeol ended up working at the same fast food chain whereas Sungjong worked in a supermart and Dongwoo worked as an assistant teacher in a dance academy.

 

One by one, they arrived with packed food in their hands since they all know that none of them could cook and they didn’t want to trouble Mrs Kim.

 

Eunji felt a rush of relief seeing her oppas because it has really been some time since she last saw them. Especially since she used to see them everyday in school. They talked and chattered and nothing was different, only the fact that Hoya wasn’t there.

 

“Eunji! Who’s better looking? Sungyeol or me? Sungyeol kept insisting that he looks better in the uniform but I beg to differ!” Woohyun complained as he questioned Eunji, giving her a pout as well.

 

Eunji chuckled before replying, “you are both good looking.”

 

“No! One has to be better than the other!” The choding added while pointing to himself.

 

And so, they began fighting again because what’s a meal with infinite without banter? Sunggyu could only shake his head and he muttered something along the lines of “childish” and “immature”, which caused the two to bicker with him.

 

During dinner, Dongwoo had even confessed that he started dating that Choi Minah girl from high school and everybody was happy for him. Finally, Dongwoo had managed to chase after her after secretly spying on her in classes for the past year.

 

“Congrats oppa!” Eunji wished him genuinely. It just reminded her of her own relationship but she was bent on forgetting Hoya for the night and just enjoy the moment. This moment is about Dongwoo. Not everything is about her and neither does she want her oppas to be worried about her so, no showing of any sadness or any other feelings besides happiness. She’s happy for Dongwoo. She really is.

 

L sat by her side the entire time and even held her hand from time to time. He gave her hands a reassuring squeeze and Eunji was grateful for it. Knowing that L is by her side helped her to take her mind off Hoya and she finally did get to enjoy the night with the infinite members. Needless to say, she really misses them a lot. A hell lot. Things are going to be so different next school year without them and she doesn’t know how she’s going to survive school.

 

As the night deepens, the boys were watching the latest drama on television but Eunji decided to head out to the balcony to get some fresh air. As if on cue, L immediately stood up and followed her as well.

 

“Oppa, you don’t have to follow me wherever I go. I’ll be fine, I just need some fresh air.”

 

“I know, but I want to.” L gave her his signature smile with a cute dimple and Eunji returned the favour. “You smiled.” He pointed out.

 

“Don’t make it sound like I haven’t smiled in a long time.” Eunji hit him lightly.

 

 L placed his hands on her shoulders and slowly leaned in, “you didn’t. I hardly see you smile these days.”

 

Eunji’s smile faded. “I’m trying to forget him, L oppa, I’m trying to be happy.”

 

“I know. I’m not forcing you but I just want you to know that I will always be here for you.”

 

*Thank you, L oppa.* Eunji didn’t say anything else and she leaned closer to give L a hug. A hug she so desperately needed, for she needed the warmth of a person, to know that she’s still alive. That she still can feel.

 

Their hug was then interrupted by a clearing of a throat, which caused the both of them to jump apart. Sunggyu stood at the balcony with a raised eyebrow. L looked away awkwardly, scratching his head and Eunji’s face felt hot with embarrassment. It was as though they were caught in an intimate act when it’s only just a hug. A hug is very innocent right?

 

“Can I talk to Eunji for a second?” Sunggyu asked, still giving weird looks to the both of them. L stuttered and awkwardly replied that he’ll be going to get some water in the kitchen and left the two alone in the balcony.

 

Eunji looked at Sunggyu and his flawless face. How did she not notice how good he looked until now? But that is not the point.

 

Before saying anything, Sunggyu gave Eunji a hug as well, which left her in a daze. “Why? Can’t I give you a hug as well?”

 

“Aniya!”

 

Sunggyu chuckled in response. “I’m kidding.” He stood at the balcony, under the moonlight and left Eunji in wonder. Sunggyu was always the wisest and most well informed one out of them all, so what did he want to say to her? So important that it had to be alone without L?

 

As if Sungyu was reading her thoughts, he answered all her questions. “We can all tell you’re faking it Eunji, or at least L and I could. But sometimes, it’s okay to feel sad.” He took a glance at Eunji to see her reaction but Eunji had her head hung low, her hair covering half her face.

 

He put a hand over her shoulder and pulled her closer, hugging her as he continued. “Time will heal all wounds. At least, I hope.” Sunggyu heard a sniffle. “I wish you could give Myungsoo a chance to help you heal your wounds. You don’t have to accept him, but you don’t have to push him away at the moment. Give him a chance.”

 

Eunji snuggled closer to Sunggyu just as he pulled her closer. “Give him a chance to set things right, won’t you?”

 

 

 

 

 

 


So here's a chapter of the aftermath of Hoya leaving sobs even I miss our dancing machine already but don't you worry, the next chappie will definitely have his appearance hahahaa. It's just where he will be appearing.......... it's obvious isn't it, he's in America now hahaahaha. Okay no teasing readers, that's just mean of me. And here's everybody telling Eunji to give L a chance too!!!! (okay not everybody just Sunggyu but Sunggyu is important enough right????) Should she??? Can she forget Hoya and move on? What's going to happen to the three friends now????? Sorry readers, it's just me here being an annoying author hahaha but I would like to know what you guys think of the story so far!!!! It's been a loooong journey with the characters and I want to know how you all feel!!!!! Do leave me a comment and let me know! ;) As usual, I love you guys and no, I don't get sick of saying it and I hope you all don't get sick of hearing (or seeing) it. <3