Chapter 7

Protecting The One

At Lee Enterprise

 

Mr Lee slammed his palm against the table. “How can this happen!” He was at a loss. Song Jimin had been his secretary for more than twenty years and she knew almost everything about him. Most important of all, she kept his biggest secret for him for eighteen years. He was upset and also angry for not being able to protect her. Furthermore, he was unable to get over the loss of his secretary even after the funeral. Just then, there was a knock on the door. “Mr Lee, Mrs Lee would like to have a word with you.”

 

Mr Lee closed his eyes and sighed as he sat down. He placed his hand against his temples and took a deep breath. “Let her in.”

 

Hong Yejin, the wife of the almighty CEO of Lee Enterprise. She had an intimidating look as she stride in with those killer heels. Her thick makeup covered the flaws on her face, making her look younger than she really was. She stepped into his office and sat down right opposite him comfortably.

 

“How long do you plan to hide it from me?” She glanced at Mr Lee.

 

“Yejin… I… Does Jimin’s death have anything to do with you?”

 

“I asked you first!”

 

The both of them looked away. One can easily feel the tension between husband and wife. Mrs Lee decided to speak up first. “If I said no, would you believe me?”

 

“Yejin-ah, please, do not harm the boy.”

 

“He is a threat to this family. With his presence, what does that make of our Hyeri?” Mrs Lee was shooting death glares at her husband. She could feel the anger in her veins.

 

“He is still my son!”

 

“How about Hyeri?” She retorted.

 

“That’s totally different! Hyeri is my daughter as well!” Mr Lee shouted.

 

Taken aback by his sudden outburst, Mrs Lee was visibly upset as well. “So it seems like it doesn’t matter what I say. You do know that by acknowledging him will cause a big stir in the corporate world, do you?”

 

Mr Lee looked away, “honestly, right now I have no idea where he is and I would really like to know. Also, I really hope that Jimin’s death will have nothing to do with you.”

 

Mrs Lee was beyond mad to continue talking to her husband. She stood up to walk away but before she could reach the door, Mr Lee spoke up. “You know where the boy is, don’t you?”

 

Mrs Lee glanced back at her husband and clenched her fist tightly. “No,” she said coldly after a long pause and walked out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

 

“Minhyuk, come in.” Mr Lee called for his new secretary after Jimin’s sudden death. “Neh CEO Lee.” Minhyuk has been working for Mr Lee for a long time as well and he is one of Mr Lee’s right hand men.

 

“I want you to do a secret investigation about the death of Song Jimin. Keep it a secret from Yejin.” Mr Lee lowered his volume to make sure nobody else could hear.

 

At Mr and Mrs Kim’s house

 

The next morning, Hoya and L were the only ones left at home while their parents set off for work. The two brothers ate their breakfast silently when Hoya suddenly broke the silence. “I hope the sleepover surprise goes well today. I want to see her beautiful smile again.” L nodded in agreement, “I hope so too.” *Her smile is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Nothing could compare to that.*

 

L was heartbroken, not only did is hyung mentioned to him that he liked Eunji as well, but his feelings were reciprocated. It was not like he was against Eunji and Hoya dating but L was upset at his own incompetence. If only he hadn’t been such a coward at times, maybe Eunji would have fallen for him instead.

 

-Flashback-

 

“Eunji and I are dating.”

 

L was stunned. He felt as though his heart stopped beating and his mind went blank. “M-mwoh? Th-the two of you are d-d-dating?” He couldn’t form out the words himself, as he was too shocked to even say anything else.

 

 “Yeah, I really hope she’ll be happy with me.” Hoya smiled to himself and placed his hands on his lips, reminiscing the kiss earlier.

 

L was dumbstruck. He was frozen in place and he could almost hear his heart shatter into tiny little pieces. All he could think was that Eunji was taken. She was taken. By his one and only hyung. A lump formed in his throat and he tried his best to hold back the tears.

 

“Ah! What is it that you wanted to tell me just now?”

 

L regained his focus on Hoya, “nothing. It’s nothing. Congratulations hyung. I hope the both of you are happy.”

 

Hoya gave L a brotherly hug. “Thanks a lot L, it really means a lot to me.” Hoya released L and patted him on the shoulder. “Go have some sleep, there’s still a sleepover party tomorrow.”

 

L slowly stood up and went back to his room. Once he closed his doors, tears started to flow uncontrollably. He has never cried over anyone before and this would be his first time crying over a girl. At this moment, he hated himself for not being able to man up at the appropriate times and that was what caused him to lose to Hoya. Both of them cared for Eunji a lot but if it weren’t for his pride, he would’ve been able to show his affection earlier.

 

He lay down on his bed and he couldn’t sleep a wink the entire night.

 

-End of flashback-

 

“Earth to L oppa!” Eunji was waving her arms in front of L but he seemed to be in deep thought. She snapped and he got a shock. “What was that for?”

 

“Oppa what are you thinking about?”

 

*About you.* “Nothing much. Are you ready for school today Eunji?”

 

Eunji smiled happily for the first time in weeks as she nodded her head. “Neh oppa.”

 

“Hoya hyung told me about your relationship, so… congratulations.” His jaw tightened as he tried to act like he’s okay about it. “When are you guys planning to tell the rest of infinite?”

 

Hoya took her hand before replying, “it’s all up to her.”

 

Eunji replied with a warm smile, “soon, I promise. After I get back up again.”

 

L swore his heart broke again at that instant. It was to a point where he regretted not showing his feelings. After all that preparation and prep talk he gave himself, it was all in vain. The girl he loved so dearly was in a relationship.

 

When the trio met up with the rest of infinite as they walked to school, Sunggyu noticed something different about the three best friends. Being the sharp-eyed leader, he was very good at observing and that was why he could tell that L liked Eunji was back when they were younger. Eunji and Hoya kept stealing glances at each other and L was keeping a distance away from them, which was weird considering how Eunji would always be between L and Hoya. *What’s going on between the three of them? Hmmmm.*

 

When they arrived at Woolim High, there was a weird atmosphere. Usually there would be fangirls screaming their names and asking infinite to date them but the school was unusually quiet today. Instead of the screaming fangirls, it turned out to be whispering fangirls. Sure, they were present but they were whispering to one another and giving infinite looks.

 

Woohyun was especially disappointed to not see his own fans fawning after him. “Hyung, isn’t the atmosphere a bit strange today?”

 

Sunggyu looked around but continue walking. “Let’s just hurry get to class.”

 

Hoya, Eunji and L were walking behind the group. L glanced ocer to see his two good friends looking at each other and he felt left out all of a sudden. He quickened his pace and walked next to Sungyeol instead. Seeing Eunji happy is suppose to make him happy. But how is seeing her happy with someone else making him happy? It was a living hell.

 

As the group walked to the lockers, the whispering and chattering got even worse. School girls and guys were giving them looks and pointing at them. “It was definitely some rumour they heard.” Sunggyu thought out loud. After awhile, he couldn’t take it anymore and he shouted out. “Alright, what is with this whispering and pointing about? What rumour has been spreading again? Someone tell me!” He placed his hands on his hips and rested his weight on one leg. Sunggyu blew his bangs and stared at the crowd.

 

“It’s… it’s just that… we heard this morning that Eunji… Eunji lost her mom and now she’s an orphan. It was all because she was bad luck and brought harm to her family.” A meek girl finally spoke up and told them.

 

“Yeah! So stay away from infinite oppas! They’re innocent and they don’t deserve your bad luck!” Another shouted out. Soon, many fangirls shouted out similar statements claiming Eunji to bring bad luck that’s why they are staying away from her. Even forcing her to stay away form infinite.

 

Eunji’s eyes widened at the confession. “Mwoh?! Who spread that around?! How did that person even know about my parents? I didn’t tell anyone!”

 

“But I knew.”

 

The whole group turned around only to see the culprit, Lee Hyeri. Next to her were her two annoying queenkas, the twins Yoojung and Soojung.

 

“I merely shared this fact with the student body, hoping that they would pity you for having such unfortunate circumstances. It seems like it’s working isn’t it?” Hyeri said and folded her arms uner her chest.

 

Eunji was furious by this time. She went up to Hyeri and stood face to face with her. “Whatever happened to my mom is my family business. It has nothing to do with you. You have no right to go around telling people about my family issues. Absolutely no right!”

 

“Or is it? It seems like the students think that you brought bad luck to your parents and that’s why you lost them both.  Now they are signing a petition for you to leave infinite alone. In case you bring bad luck to any of them as well.

 

Eunji clenched her fist and she glared at Hyeri. Hoya came behind her and took her hand. Eunji’s fist clenched tighter as tears were forming in her eyes. Lee Hyeri stood there victouriously with a smirk on her face. Oh how Eunji wish she could wipe that smirk off her face.

 

“Ignore them Eunji, let’s go.” Eunji was beyond furious. How dare they talk about her that way. How dare they spread rumours about her family. It just wasn’t right. They had no right. “I’m going to kill you!” She charged at Hyeri, only to be stopped by Hoya and L. They both grabbed her arms and carried her away. Eunji was struggling and crying at this time. How could Hyeri do such a thing to her? It wasn’t like she fully got over her mother’s death. What scares Eunji the most was, what if Hyeri was right about her bringing bad luck?

 

“Calm down girlfriend, I didn’t say anything about bringing bad luck but you know how rumours work. Maybe that’s what everyone thinks right from the start.” Hyeri sprinkled more salt on her wound.

 

“Stop it! Stop hurting her! She’s right, that was her family business and it has nothing to do with you so you better shut up before I hit you. Even if you’re a girl, I will not hesitate if you keep badmouthing Eunji.”

 

“L… L oppa!” Hyeri was stunned at L’s sudden outburst. Well, everyone was shocked including Eunji. Eunji took a glance at L next to her. His eyes were burning and his grip on her was tighter than before. Even after knowing L for so long, they’ve never seen him so angry before. Sure, he had been annoyed every time Sungyeol played a childish prank but he was never really angry. This time, he was seriously fuming and it was all because of Hyeri trying to slander Eunji, the girl he loves.

 

Woohyun nudged Sunggyu by the elbow and whispered to him. “I’ve never seen L so mad before, does he like Eunji or something?”

 

Sunggyu was surprised that someone else in the team finally caught on and figured things out, but he was sure L didn’t want anybody to know. Knowing Woohyun, if he ever found out, the secret would be out any minute. Hence, Sunggyu just shook his head. “L has always been protective of Eunji, isn’t that right?”

 

“That’s true…” Woohyun nodded and dropped the subject. Sunggyu heaved a sigh of relief. He wasn’t going to spill his friend’s secret crush until he decides to let them know personaly.

 

Hyeri, still shocked from L’s words finally came to her senses. She felt hurt that her favourite L oppa seem to despise her so much. She gave Eunji a hatred look and stomped away with the twins following behind her.

 

Eunji broke down immediately. Her knees felt jelly and her legs gave way. If it wasn’t for L and Hoya supporting her by the side, she would’ve collapsed. She leaned towards Hoya and cried in his arms, leaving L on the other side. L was heartbroken. First, seeing the girl he loves so hurt and then seeing her go into someone else’s embrace, he felt like crying then and there but he couldn’t show his feelings in front of everyone.

 

Hoya her hair trying to calm her down and whispering into her ears. “It’s okay, I’m here. I’m here for you. It’s okay.”

 

The group then walked Eunji to her classroom after the mini breakdown at the hallway. Hoya was reluctant to leave her alone and go for lessons because her emotions aren’t stable and she could very well breakdown ant moment again. Eunji turned around before heading in, “thanks oppas, I’ll be fine. Head to your classes for lessons.” She waved them goodbye and stepped into class, knowing very well that she had completely lost the motivation to focus on her studies.

 

The rest of infinite waved back and headed off to their classrooms. “Do you think our sleepover surprise will really work tonight?” Dongwoo asked the leader innocently. Seeing Eunji so upset made him doubt if they could even cheer her up and help her get over her mother’s death. Sunggyu shrugged and gave a long sigh, “hopefully.” He said and walked away.

 

L watched the leader’s worried back view as he followed behind. He himself was worried about Eunji, as much as Hoya or even more. How can he cheer her up without showing too much affection? Or was it really time for him to confess his feelings? Would that burden her even more? He hated seeing Eunji the way she is now. He wants to see her happy and smiling, for he loved that beautiful smile she has on her face.

 

*I’ll do whatever it takes for her to smile again. Eunji-ah, I will protect you from Lee Hyeri, don’t you worry. I will always protect you.* 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Sobs I kinda feel sorry for L as well... :"( 

 

hope you all liked this chapter as well!! I think things will be going quite slowly for now because I do not want to just rush into the main plot but don't worry, I have loads to stuff in store!!! :) Do give this story your support! (comments are always appreciated and susribes are LOVED)