Chapter 35

Protecting The One

With two months to graduation, two months before the seniors in Woollim High have to take their university entrance exam, 2 more months left before Hoya flies off to America. If he is going to go in the first place. However, he had this feeling in his gut that Mrs Lee wasn’t kidding when she said she doesn’t want to be messed with. He couldn’t let anything bad befall on Eunji but at the same time, he didn’t want to leave Eunji’s side. Hoya wanted to be her protector, the one who’s always there for her. So yes, he cannot give in, not to that ice-like woman who was also his stepmother.

 

 

“Ta-da! I made these for you Hoya oppa!” Eunji was being bright and cheery, which snapped him out of his daze. She had pulled him to the cafeteria and made him sit down while she whooped out a lunchbox just for him. She mad made kimbap this time, just for her boyfriend.

 

“Whoa!” The table was filled with jealousy as the other boys only got to see but not to taste the deliciously looking kimbap in front of them.

 

“No stealing, Dongwoo oppa!” Eunji slapped Dongwoo’s hand away before he could even get close to the kimbap.

 

The next few days after Woohyun had revealed L’s big secret was pretty much awkward. The atmosphere was slightly different even though they were all acting like everything was the way it was before. All normal. One thing that surprised Sunggyu the most was Hoya being able to handle it so well. He always thought that Hoya would flare up and be mad at L but looks like he was wrong. Another thing he was glad was that Eunji didn’t act any different. She was still sweet to L, and she tried her best not to make things different or awkward for them both. From that day onwards, nobody else brought up the subject. It was as though there was a forbidden rule for mentioning it. Or maybe because Sunggyu would glare at anybody who tried to bring it up. This was as much as he could do to help L.

 

Eunji glanced to the side to see L staring into blank space with his lunch tray in front of him when she decided to take a kimbap and held it in front of him, with one hand below the kimbap in case it drops. She was basically feeding him. L ate it in silence but deep inside he was having a million questions. Why would Eunji do that? She’s not making it easier for him to let go of his feelings but rather, she was making it much harder.

 

L still loved her. No matter how hard he tried, he could not forget about her. She will always be his one and only love and now that his feelings are no longer kept in the dark; it made him feel so much better. He loved her, and he will continue loving her, till the end.

 

--

 

Minhyuk had managed to find some excuse to meet up with Choi Hyuk in private. He hated lying to Mr Lee but he felt like he had to keep this matter quiet until he could figure out who exactly is the mastermind. He didn’t want to alarm Mr Lee since Mr Lee would be rash and that would just make everything more complicated.

 

He returned to the old garage, the same place as when he first found Choi Hyuk. Compared to the previous time, this place was now quieter and cleaner. There weren’t any cars and the tools were being kept away. Grease was nowhere to be seen, it was as though the place hasn’t been used in some time. The sound of his dress shoes echoed the old empty garage as he looked around, trying to find the older guy who lived here.

 

“Ahjusshi? Ahjusshi!” Minhyuk called out.

 

A shadow slowly appeared and a middle-aged guy came out in the light. He looked frailer than before and he face was struck with fear. Still shaking, he ran to Minhyuk’s side and hurriedly kneeled down to the younger boy.

 

“Please, help me! I do not want to make the same mistake again. Please!” Choi Hyuk was shaking hard. “I… I still have those nightmares. Those horrible horrible nightmares. That… that poor lady…” And he started sobbing.

 

Minhyuk was in a daze, what happened to Choi Hyuk over the last few months? The last time they met, he was still strong and healthy but now he was just frail and he hadn’t even shaved for a few days. He kneeled down next to Choi Hyuk, trying to calm him down before they could even start talking.

 

It took Minhyuk hours to calm Choi Hyuk down, or at least he felt like it was hours. That poor man was a sobbing mess and an emotional wreck. Obviously he’s been haunted by his actions and now that the same person has contacted him again for another “job”, he was afraid. They were sitting in his empty garage where Choi Hyuk had opened a can of beer and offered it to Minhyuk.

 

“I don’t drink on the job.” Minhyuk straightened his suit as he stared at the older man who downed half a can of beer. “Tell me all about it.”

 

“It was the same person. I recognize that voice. But he isn’t the mastermind. He definitely isn’t. The way he talks, he’s working for someone else.”

 

“Who’s the ‘he’?” Minhyuk pressed Choi Hyuk to continue.

 

“I… I don’t know. It’s another job. He said that this will be the last time and I will get paid three times more than the previous time. Once I finish this job, he won’t contact me again.” Choi Hyuk looked at Minhyuk with sad eyes, “I can’t do it anymore. You have to help me. He said that if I don’t do it, he would put me in jail for the previous time. I cannot harm anyone anymore. The guilt is killing me.” He looked like he was about to cry once again.

 

“Ahjusshi,” Minhyuk’s gaze turned serious. “What job is it this time?”

 

Choi Hyuk’s grip on the beer can tighten and he closed his eyes, trying to hold back his tears. Never in a million years would Minhyuk guess what would happen when Choi Hyuk opened his eyes and spoke once again.

--

 

“Are you sure about this Minhyuk?”

 

“Neh, Mr Lee. Please… trust me on this.”

 

Mr Lee let out a sigh; Minhyuk has presented him with logical reasoning so there was no reason not to trust him. Besides, he practically raised Minhyuk up, what’s there not to trust about him?

 

“Let’s head back home now then. Shall we?” Mr Lee walked out of the office with Minhyuk bowing behind him before following him out the office.

 

Mr Lee had called for a family meeting not too long ago and everyone was already gathered at the loving room, waiting for him to make his appearance.

 

“Does appa think this is some kind of a press meeting?” Hyeri whined while seated on the couch.

 

Mrs Lee shot her daughter a glare, causing Hyeri to shrink back into her seat. Hoya just sat there quietly but he could feel the stares from Mrs Lee, piercing through his skin. It made him super uncomfortable. Luckily for him, Mr Lee walked in with Minhyuk right on time.

 

He took a seat and folded his legs while the butler served him tea. “I have thought through it and I agree with Yejin. Howon should go to America to further his studies.”

 

Hoya stood up immediately with his eyes widened. “Abeoji!” He could not believe his ears. His father was against this all along but now he’s actually asking him to go? What is going on? To think he trusted his father for protecting him, for fighting for him to stay in Korea, it was all a waste. Even Hyeri was shocked at her father’s sudden change in thinking.

 

Mrs Lee, on the other hand, let out a grin. “You have finally understood my intentions Kyungwon. I was right all along wasn’t I?”

 

Mr Lee’s face remained as serious as he could. Hong Yejin loved being right about things. She loved to shove it in his face with those ‘I told you so’ expressions and there was nothing he hated more than Yejin being right.

 

“Howon, I need to speak to you privately about this. I hope you can understand my intentions.”

 

Hoya then glanced at Minhyuk for help. This cannot be happening. He cannot be going to America. Not like this. He could tell that Minhyuk was avoiding his gaze. At the same time, Hyeri and Mrs Lee stood up for the father and son to have a private talk. “You know, this is all for you. Only the best for you.” Mrs Lee said to Hoya before she left. Hearing that, Hoya felt angry. He hardly gets angry but this time round, he was fuming mad. Mad at Mrs Lee, because it was all her fault for even suggesting this ridiculous idea in the first place.

 

“Howon-ah, it is really for the best. This is the only way I can protect you right now.” Mr Lee muttered out the words once they were left alone with Minhyuk.

 

“I… I don’t understand. Why?”

 

“We thought it would be better to keep you close but circumstances made it hard. It’s really for the best.” Minhyuk interrupted the conversation. He knew Mr Lee wouldn’t be able to bring himself to do this. Mr Lee had this soft spot for Hoya and especially since he finally got Hoya to be by his side, there was nothing more he wanted other than his own son staying next to him.

 

“Minhyuk is right. I’m sorry Howon. I really want to keep you close to me but this… this is matter of your life. I have to do this. Believe me.”

 

“What do you mean?” Hoya asked, still confused. “What are you not telling me?”

 

“When the time is right, all that you will need to know will be known.” Minhyuk said.

 

“Trust us. Please.” Mr Lee looked at him with those sad eyes. He just needed his son to believe in him. Or more like, believe in Minhyuk. He’s putting all his trust in Minhyuk right now. There was nothing he could do anymore because all he wants is for his son to be safe. If this was the safest thing to do according to Minhyuk, then he would have to trust Minhyuk.

 

“Eunji’s going to kill me.” Hoya muttered under his breath. His hand travelled up to his forehead and he pushed his hair up.

 

“We’ll… we’ll leave you to rest then.” Mr Lee let out a sigh as he walked past Hoya, giving him a pat on his shoulders. Minhyuk followed Mr Lee closely but not before giving Hoya one last hopeful glance.

 

Hoya stood there in disbelief. He let out a laugh at this unbelievable situation. “Impossible. This is impossible.”

 

“What’s impossible?”

 

Hoya looked to find the owner of the voice. It was Hyeri. She stood leaning against the wall with her arms folded. Honestly, despite living in the same house, Hoya has never spoke to Hyeri alone before. This situation now was… slightly awkward.

 

“You think I don’t know why my mother wants to send you away?” Hyeri unfolded her arms and went to take a sit, signaling to Hoya that he should take a seat as well. While he carefully sat down, she continued. “She hates that you’re the heir and not me. She thinks that by sending you far away, appa will finally start paying attention to me and maybe make me the heir instead.”

 

Hoya sat there in silence. He knew that Mrs Lee hated his guts but there was nothing he could do. Hyeri took a glance at him and sighed. “Appa never really showed any concern for me. Besides giving me the best he can provide, he never gave me his time. He never really loved me.”

 

“How do you?”

 

“I was an unwanted child you know. Appa has always loved you omma. Never my omma. It was an arranged marriage, my appa and omma. He never really loved her.” She let out a laugh, “so what happens when you have a kid with the woman you never really loved? You take responsibility, but you never really love that kid.”

 

Silence filled the air; Hoya had no idea how to comfort his half-sister. This whole situation was new and just awkward.

 

“You, on the other hand, are a kid from the woman he loves. So obviously he cares for you. More than he will ever care for me.” She continued sadly.

 

He didn’t know that Hyeri was actually hurting all along. Living in a house where she felt no love. Her mother was cold, her father could not be bothered, and there was practically no one else. “Do you hate me then? For being the heir?” Hoya asked.

 

Hyeri smiled, something he has never really seen before. She actually had a pretty smile, if not for her horrible attitude towards his girlfriend. “What’s there to hate? I never wanted to be the heir anyway. I want to live an ordinary life. To be loved. To marry the one I love and not to some random guy in an arranged marriage. I want to care for my future kids, give them all the love they need. So I actually want to thank you for being the heir. This way, I do not have to be burdened by the company, I can live my own life.” She paused before continuing, “you must think I’m really stupid aren’t I? This is why I have been throwing jealous fits all over your girlfriend. I’m jealous that she’s receiving all the love that I wanted to receive. My parents couldn’t love me, so I just wanted the guy I love to love me back, but he was too busy loving someone else. At the end of the day, I’m still someone without any love.” There were tears welling up in her eyes, threatening to fall but Hyeri is a strong girl. She wouldn’t cry like this.

 

Hoya was shocked. “You knew L liked Eunji?”

 

“Of course I know! I only look at him, of course I could tell. At first I thought he was just being protective of Eunji, but then I realized, he never takes a second look at other girls. It was always Eunji. Which is why I started picking fights with her. I admit, I was jealous and… I’m sorry.” Hyeri blinked and tears started falling. For the first time, Hoya saw the ever confident, almighty Lee Hyeri break down in front of him. He never knew how deprived of love she was. All she wanted was to be loved, how hard was that? Her own parents couldn’t give her any; neither could the guy she loves. In spite of her strong appearance, all this poor girl needed was just some love.

 

--

 

5 Hours earlier

 

Choi Hyuk opened his eyes and began to speak. “He… he wants me to go to America. As a bodyguard.” His hands were trembling but Minhyuk urged him to go on. “I have to be a bodyguard for the boy in America. A-after a few months… I have to fake yet another accident a-and they will kill the boy.”

 

Minhyuk’s eyes widened. “Who’s the ‘they’?” He unknowingly raised his voice.

 

“The others. They hired other killers along. I just need to fake an accident, to make it seem like it was a car accident and the boy will die.” Choi Hyuk was shaking like mad. “I cannot do this anymore, please, help me.”

 

“Ahjusshi, calm down.” Minhyuk swallowed his saliva. This was all too coincidental and there could only be one person he’s thinking of at the moment. “Ahjusshi, who’s the boy you are talking about?”

 

Choi Hyuk looked at him with those scared eyes. “You know him.” He places his hands around Minhyuk’s shoulders. “The son of the CEO of Lee Enterprise, Lee Howon.”

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hey there!!! I think I dropped too many bombs in one chapter hahahaha but I did mention that things will be picking up right? Honestly, the scene with Hyeri wasn't originally planned this way but somehow as I wrote, I realise how sad that character was. To have no love at all? That poor poor girl. I felt like it goes with the flow of the story so much so I hope there will be less Hyeri haters right now! Although I expect more Mrs Lee haters. After all, I myself feel so despicable for creating such an annoying character that even I cannot stand her. hahahaah but the shows are always like that right? The annoying character gets more annoying as time passes.

Anyways, the last part of this chapter was.... wow very exciting to write but do stay tuned becuase you never really know what's going to happen ;) As I've said, the story is only to get more and more exciting so do continue to give me your support!!! I think I've said this so many times but I really love my readers *touched* Thanks for leaving me comments chapter after chapter to share what you feel and I hope this chapter will be the same as well!! Do leave me a comment on anythin you want and I will be sure to reply!!! Also, lesser of the main characters this chapter but next chapter will have more of them, don't worry and stay tuned!

I love my readers so much so thank you!!!!! *wipes a tear away*