Chapter 18

Protecting The One

19 years ago

 

“We can run away, we can elope, we can go to another country where nobody will ever know where we are. We can be together, alas.” The young Lee Kyungwon, then heir to the major corporation—Lee Enterprise, promised his own lover.

 

His lover, Han Miyoung, gently cupped his handsome face. “Andwae, you are to take over your father’s company someday. You are to become a great man and I cannot be the one to tie you down.” She gave a warm smile, even though her hands were cold.

 

“He’s going to make me marry Yejin! I cannot do that to you. I cannot marry that woman!” Lee Kyungwon started sobbing. He hated feeling weak and he absolutely hated that he has no say in his own marriage. Hong Yejin came from a wealthy family, worthy of him, but Miyoung was the opposite. She came from the poor countryside but she had caught his eye the first time he ever saw her in university. Her beauty radiates even from a mile away and his heart swelled with the love filled just for her.

 

“Kyungwon-ah, just know that I love you and I will raise our child to be just as great a person as you are.”

 

Lee Kyungwon stopped crying. His eyes had lit up after hearing that word. Did Miyoung just say that she was pregnant?! With his child?! Miyoung saw the confusion in his eyes and gave him a small nod. This was how their relationship was. They have no need for words sometimes and they understood each other completely. It’s a pity they cannot be together because of his arranged marriage.

 

“But… but… but you must not let Yejin know. She’s crazy. I don’t know what she will do if she hears of this.” His words could not hold more truth. Yejin was crazy. Crazily in love with Kyungwon and she had fought hard for this arranged marriage to come true.

 

Miyoung took his hand in hers and gently it. “I will never let her know. I will protect our child. I will do anything to protect our child.”

 

Back to the present

 

“The only other person who knew of this was Jimin.” Mr Lee spoke. Eunji was yet again shocked at the mention of her mother’s name. She never knew her mother was so closely tied to the CEO of Lee Enterprise. Then again, Eunji never probed her mother about her work. At the mention of his old friend, Mr Lee sighed. “Jimin was a good person. She worked so hard just to support her own daughter.”

 

Eunji started to tear up thinking about her mother. How they could live happily under one roof but one accident took that all away. It was just not fair. “This is Jimin’s daughter, Song Eunji.” Mrs Kim spoke up and introduced Eunji to Mr Lee. Kim Eunsol felt that Mr Lee had to at least know Eunji now, since he has lost his most trusted subordinate.

 

He then apologized to Eunji for not recognizing her. “You look just like your mother. Those pretty eyes…” and his voice slowly trailed off. Taking a deep breath, he continued his story. “Jimin.. she... she was a good person.” He stressed it once again and shifted his attention to Hoya. “Howon-ah, your mother, she had a very hard pregnancy. The doctor told her that if she were to keep the baby, she could endanger her own life as well as yours. But she did not give you up. However, she did not make it after the labour.” Mr Lee looked down; holding back the tears of the loss of his loved one.

 

“You were not to be known to the world. We had to raise you quietly so Jimin suggested that we put you up for adoption but at the same time keep you close.” Hoya was confused, “so, you didn’t know where was I?”

 

“Unfortunately not, Jimin said it would be for the best if I didn’t know your exact location. So that I can keep myself from having any sort of contact that will make Yejin suspicious. It was all done to prevent Yejin from finding out about you. I wouldn’t know what she would do if she knew about your existence so… so I had to give you up. I… I had no choice. Howon-ah, please, believe me.” He looked at Hoya with those desperate eyes. Both father and son have the same eyes—small, sharp, with an intimidating gaze. Mr Lee took another breath and continued. “This is why Jimin took you away. She gave you to the Kims so that you’ll at least have a home. And somewhere near where she can help me keep an eye on you. Trust me, I only just found out about your location. However, Yejin has found out about your existence, so I had to find you before she does.”

 

Hoya lifted his hands to his temples and gave a slight rub. This was a lot of information to take in. He took a step backwards and almost knocked over a chair. “I… I… I can’t…” With that, he ran out of the house.

 

“Hyung!” L was ready to rush out to find his hyung but he was stopped by Eunji. “Oppa, I’ll go.”

 

Everyone in the house was stunned by Hoya’s reaction. Well, they couldn’t have expected a sad reunion, could they? It was a huge bomb dropped on them and yes, it does take time to digest the reality.

 

“Oppa! Oppa wait! Oppa!” Eunji tried to catch up with Hoya but he was too fast for her. He just kept running and running and running into the night. Anywhere his legs could take him. Slowly, Eunji lost sight of him but she knew exactly where he would be. An upset Hoya could only have one spot to recuperate from his sadness, and so she headed for that sacred place.

 

As expected, Hoya was sitting on the swing in the park. It was their childhood place, where they would always play there after school. That place contained as much happy memories as there are for sad ones. Growing older, they seldom go there to play anymore, but rather head over when they’re feeling down.

 

Hoya just sat on the swing and stared into space. Eunji took the swing next to him and stared at his side profile, admiring his perfectly shaped jawline. She kept the silence because she wanted to give him time and also because she didn’t know what to say to make him feel better. The couple stayed in silence for a while before Hoya spoke up.

 

“I’ve always blamed my birth parents for abandoning me. But… it seems like I can’t blame them now huh?”

 

Eunji just stared at his perfectly chiseled features and kept quiet.

 

Hoya took a deep breath, but his next words had come out shaky. “W-what am I suppose to do now?” He looked towards Eunji with those sad eyes and tears that threaten to fall. She stood up immediately and went up to him to give him a hug. That was when he finally let out all that was kept inside him for eighteen years and he cried. He buried himself deep in Eunji’s embrace and let the tears flowed down. That night, Lee Howon cried.

 

Back at the Kim’s house

 

Mrs Kim had finally calmed down and understood the situation clearly. Finally, she realized why Jimin was so concerned over Howon even though legally, she was the mother. Jimin had showed up one day with a kid in her arms and plead with the Kims to take the baby in. Kim Eunsol was heavily pregnant with Myungsoo and Jimin had just received news about being pregnant. However, Jimin had no one to care for her after a recent accident that happened to her husband. She was left all alone hence she couldn’t take care of another child on her own.

 

“She begged me to take him in. She said she couldn’t bear to see him all alone in this world.” Mrs Kim held back her sobs at the mention of her best friend. “She also mentioned that she found a tag with the name ‘Lee’ on it, hence she wanted to name him ‘Lee Howon’, instead of adopting our surname. I just couldn’t reject her pleas, so I took him in and cared for him as my own.”

 

Mr Kim added, “because of him, Myungsoo had a friend to play with too. They’ve been best friends ever since.”

 

Mr Lee nodded and understood that his son was well taken care of and he was more grateful for the past eighteen years. However, he still wished to have his son back, next to him. It doesn’t matter if Yejin disapproves because Howon is the only thing closest to Miyoung left. He is also his rightful son. Furthermore, since Yejin had already found out about him, there was no point in hiding him anymore. Hence, Mr Lee decided to get his own son back by his side, to protect him at all cost.

 

“I will let him decide on his own.” Mrs Kim responded. She wished that she could keep Howon by her side forever but she understood that he needs his biological parents as well.

 

Maybe, it was time to let go. 

 

 

 

 


Hey all!! Thanks for waiting for almost a week for the next update! So many times, I really wanted to get this typed out and posted but ugh, school is being a as usual. I've had a very very very busy week this week and things are going to get even worse next week! (I've mid terms plus assignments due next week so I'm really quite stressed out now.)


However, I saw that there were new suscribers and also an upvote for this story!!! (OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT) I swear, seeing new suscribers and comments really does get me going and it makes me want to update often just for you guys!!!! I cannot stress how much I really appreciate my readers so thank you, to everyone who reads this story, and this really crapp A/N. Once again, I would like to thank all my suscribers so do leave me a comment about what you think! Some things have pretty much seem to clear up isn't it? But no worries, there's always more surprises in store for y'all. Remember to suscribe and comment y'all! It's these little things that really keep me going so I can't say how touched I am right now. (thank you, you and YOU) (if you're confused about this chapter, do leave a comment and let me know as well. hahaha maybe I can explain things clearer and I'll also review the chapter again!)