Chapter 46

Protecting The One

Eunji had been discharged but she felt empty. More empty than before. The doctor had told her not to skip her meals and eat nutritiously but the doctor’s words had fallen on deaf ears. She lay down on the bed and stared at the white ceiling with dried tears on her face.

 

“Eunji, you’ve got to eat something.” L coaxed her but this time, even L was unable to make her function properly. As much as he was worried for Hoya, he was worried sick about Eunji too. L had been strong, very strong but sometimes even the strongest person can fall apart. He was just this close to breaking down and throwing a tantrum. L was only human. He was only Myungsoo.

 

There was a knock on the door and in came Sunggyu. “She’s still not eating?” Sunggyu asked quietly.

 

L shook his head. “She won’t stop crying as well. She’s going to squeeze herself dry of tears this way.” The both talked about Eunji as if she wasn’t there.

 

“I’m not hungry.” A soft voice spoke, which belong to neither of the two guys. Eunji then turned and lay on one side, with her back facing the two guys in her room.

 

The both of them sighed but they couldn’t do anything as well. Everybody was worried about Hoya because it’s been days and there’s still no news of him. “I’m going to leave this bowl of porridge here so you just have it whenever you feel like okay?” L said gently and the both then left the room, leaving Eunji alone.

 

Once they were outside, L had started to break down. He began to cry. He had tried to hold in the tears in front of Eunji because he didn’t want her to see him this way but all he needed was to break down and cry as well. He wanted to be the one who had someone to comfort him too. It was tiring to be strong all the time, especially if you just need to let it all out.

 

“Hyung, what am I going to do?” L said as he burst into tears. Sunggyu immediately hugged him. L clutched onto Sunggyu tightly and let all that he has bottled up for so long out. Sunggyu held him tightly as well; his own tears were welling up in his eyes as he looked up to the ceiling. “You’re going to be okay. She’s going to be okay. We’re all going to be okay.” Sunggyu whispered softly. L wanted to believe Sunggyu’s words as he cried his heart out.

 

That night, Sunggyu had left and gone home. Meanwhile, L was still worried about Eunji. He went into her room to find her sleeping but her pillow was wet with fresh tears. *She’s going to cry her eyes out at this rate.* L looked at the tray he left this afternoon and found that it was still untouched. He then took the tray of food out and went to reheat the food for Eunji’s dinner. She had to be hungry by now since she hasn’t had anything proper to eat the entire day.

 

After heating up the food, L returned to her room and sat by her bedside. “Eunji-ah, wake up. It’s time for dinner.” He shook her gently. Eunji rubbed her eyes a few times sleepily before mumbling out, “I’m not hungry.” It was as though she was a broken recorder and that was all she can manage out all day.

 

L helped her to sit up properly when he took the tray to her bed. “You didn’t have anything to eat the whole day. At least have a little?”

 

Eunji shook her head. “I don’t want to eat anything.”

 

L stood there with a forced smile on his face. This time, he was going to make Eunji eat. The doctor said that she shouldn’t skip meals at all. Eunji was already getting thinner and thinner by the day. With school starting for her in just about a week, he was worried if she could even go to school at this state.

 

L sighed and he took a scoop of the porridge with a piece of meat on the spoon. “Just one bite?”

 

Eunji looked away, she really didn’t have the appetite to stomach anything right now.

 

L looked down and he began to plead with her. It hurts him so much to see her this way and there’s nothing he could even do to help her get back on her feet. “Please…” L begged, “do this for yourself.”

 

He was tired. Tired of being the strong one. He wanted to stare into space or hide in the bathroom where he can cry all day but everybody around was expecting him to be strong. They can only comfort him with “it’s okay” but nobody knows the pain he’s going through right now. He was hurt too. He wanted to throw a tantrum as well.

 

Eunji then heard a small sob and she turned to face her oppa, who was silently crying at her bedside. “Oppa…” She muttered out.

 

L looked up at her, he was crying harder than he did earlier in the day. “I want to be strong too, for you, for omma and appa and everybody else. But sometimes I just want to have someone to comfort me. Is that so much to ask for?” He cried out.

 

Eunji was startled by L’s sudden breakdown. He was right; he had always been there for her. How selfish was it for her to always be the one on the receiving end. She had never stopped to think that L was also undergoing the same thing and was experiencing the same pain. How selfish of her. Once again, she had been hurting one of the most important person in her life.

 

Slowly, she reached out one hand and rested it on L’s shoulders. The other hand, she cupped L’s face, making him look up to face her. His handsome face was in a mess now with him crying like a baby. Eunji felt her cheeks getting wet as well because she was crying too. Leaning in, she gave L a hug.

 

For who knows how long, the two sat there crying, mourning for their lost friend, hoping that he will come back and set things right all over again.

 

--

 

At Lee’s mansion

 

Hong Yejin was sipping her red wine at the mini bar in the mansion. She was celebrating. The disappearance of the heir to the company would mean that there is only one suitable candidate left to take over the company and that was none other than Lee Hyeri. Her beloved daughter. She had lived all her life not knowing what it was like to be loved by the man of her dreams but she loved her daughter very much. Even though she didn’t show it, she would try and give the best to her daughter. She tried to make the perfect family for her daughter to grow up in, therefore, Lee Howon had to be out of the equation.

 

“Why?” A deep voice came from behind. Mrs Lee was shocked but she tried not to show her startled expression.

 

“Why what?” She turned around calmly to face her husband. The man she had loved all her life.

 

“Why?” He gave her a puzzled look as he walked towards her. Lee Kyungwon tucked a strand of hair behind his wife’s ears and he gave her a look of hurt, even as he tried to control his expression. However, he could never beat the professional in the game of keeping their face straight. “Why… are you drinking alone?”

 

Yejin turned away from her husband. She was going to drink to show her happiness and she wasn’t going to let anyone stop her from being happy.

 

“You are such a monster.” Lee Kyungwon breathed out.

 

Her gaze hardened. “I know.” She took another sip of red wine.

 

“I’m not going to stay with a monster at home.” He took one step away from his so called wife. “Miyoung wouldn’t have wanted me to stay with a monster,” he spat out and took off without another word.  

 

Yejin tried to keep her face straight. She tried to hold in the anger that was building up at the moment until she couldn’t take it anymore. She threw the glass of red wine down and she let out a shriek. “Miyoung, Miyoung, it’s always about Miyoung isn’t it?” She was so angry that she felt her cheeks wet with tears. Hong Yejin never cried, she never allowed herself to, but here she is, in this lonely and empty house, crying because she thought she had protected everything that she had. When in fact, her holding on too tight to things had caused them to slip away right from her fingers. Ironic, isn’t it?

 

--

 

Lee Kyungwon took heavy steps to Minhyuk’s studio apartment. He stepped in, only to see Minhyuk alone, drying his hair. Upon seeing his boss, Minhyuk immediately gave Mr Lee a bow. “I’ve changed the sheets and you can have my bed. I’ll sleep on the couch.”

 

“It’s okay Minhyuk, I’ll take the couch instead.”

 

“No,” he immediately replied and it had almost come off as rude. “It’ll make me feel more comfortable if you take the bed.”

 

“Sorry to trouble you, Minhyuk. By the way, where is he?”

 

“He said he needed to go somewhere but I’ve told him to be careful not to expose himself.”

 

Mr Lee nodded and he loosened his tie. “I should go to a hotel to stay instead.”

 

“Mr Lee, I know you’re worried about him. The apartment may be small for three people but at least you’ll feel better staying here with him.”

 

Mr Lee nodded to his trusty secretary. What would he do without Minhyuk? That boy was like a blessing sent from heaven. Minhyuk, never stopped showing his gratitude towards Mr Lee for taking him in. Without Mr Lee, there would be no Lee Minhyuk.

 

--

 

The sky was clear that day and stars were seen. Eunji went out to her balcony to gaze at the stars and she kept her hands on the ring on her necklace. She kept fiddling with it but she kept her gaze at the stars. “How I wish you were here with me to enjoy this view oppa.” Her hand clutched tighter on the ring. Just then, there was a shooting star that passed by in an instant. Closing her eyes, she immediately made a wish upon a shooting star. *I wish for you to come home safely. Nothing else matters anymore but your safety, please.*

 

Eunji was wishing earnestly at her balcony that she didn’t notice someone standing in the shadows just outside her house. The person wore a black hoodie with the hood covering half his face. Hiding within the shadows, the person never moved but just silently watched over Eunji. Once Eunji had gone back into her room and had her lights switched off, the person then finally left. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hey there! I wanted to post this yesterday as a 1 year anniversary of the creation of this acc but I was too busy to do so. Pardon me for being a day late so here's a present for you guys!!!!

For anyone who has ever been in the position that was just the same as L's. The one who had to be strong for everybody around them, the one who had expectations from everybody else, the one who always had to silently cry, afraid to burden someone else with your feelings, this chapter is dedicated to you. It happened to me before so I can say I wrote this chapter with pain in my heart becuase I was in the same exact position as L. There were moments where I just wanted to sit down and cry but I couldn't, because I had to be strong for those around me. I locked myself up with those feelings and it's really terrible. Emotions were never meant to keep in, but to let out and express so don't ever hold it in alright. Also, don't ever feel guilty for showing sadness to your friends. For those who truly call themselves your friends, they will be there to support you and not be angry at you for burdening them with those feelings. Sorry for this long and sappy A/N but I felt like I had to share certain things! 

Do leave me a comment because this story is slowly coming to an end!!!!! Are you excited for the ending???? Well, I am excited to show you guys the final product!!! I love you all and I can't thank you guys enough for the support ^^