Chapter 4

Protecting The One

L woke up the next morning only to find Hoya already having breakfast at the table with his parents, talking about current affairs with Mr Kim. He rubbed his eyes sleepily and began to wonder if last night was just a dream. L headed to the toilet to wash up before joining the rest of his family.

 

“I know you’re more mature than our Myungsoo, do try and help him okay?” Mr Kim said to Hoya as he passed him a slice of toast.

 

Hoya gladly accepted it and replied with a smile, “neh, I will.”

 

“That boy is still a little childish at times, I’m glad he has someone like you to rely on.” Mr Kim patted Hoya’s shoulders.

 

Since L and Hoya grew up together, they had fought numerous times over the little things that didn’t really matter. L would be stubborn about it and Hoya would always end up giving in and letting him win. At first Mr and Mrs Kim were afraid that their newly adopted son was unable to get along with their biological son but their current relationship proved otherwise and that was a huge relief for their parents.

 

Hoya grew up all his life knowing he was an adopted child due to different surnames but he was still glad that Mr and Mrs Kim treated him like their own. One thing he did not understand was why did they keep his old surname Lee? Why did they not change his birth name? That was one of the reasons why he did not like people calling him Howon. His real name will always remind him of his birth parents that gave him away and the thought of being unwanted by his birth parents hurt.

 

The father and son pair then ate silently until Mr and Mrs Kim had to head off for work.

 

“Tell Myungsoo we left for work early and that we love you both.” Mrs Kim said as she gave Hoya a kiss on the cheek.

 

“Neh. Bye omma.” Hoya stood by the door waving his parents goodbye.

 

Not long after, L was done washing up and he really wanted to confront Hoya about their conversation last night. Whether it was just a dream or was it real.

 

“Hyung, about last night-“

 

“Don’t tell anyone, not the others and especially not her okay? I don’t want to change anything now.” Hoya cut him off anxiously.

 

That was when L knew last night was real. No matter how much he wished for it to just be a nightmare, a dream, it was all real. So it’s true that his beloved Hoya hyung likes the same girl as he does. Oh, how is he going to settle this mess?

 

On the other hand, Eunji was running late because she couldn’t sleep for hours after lying on her bed. She only fell asleep for a short while and it was time to get up for school again.

 

“Come Eunji-ah, you’re going to be late to meet your oppas. I’ve packed your breakfast so eat it along the way.” Mrs Song handed her a brown bag with her favourite sandwich inside.

 

Eunji gave Mrs Song a kiss on the cheek and replied cheerily, “thanks!” She then hurried over to meet L and Hoya for school.

 

The three then happily went to school and were joined by the rest of the gang. “Yah Myungsoo, you promised me yesterday that you would lend me your history essay, but you didn’t in the end!” the choding Sungyeol whined.

 

“Heh, I forget. I’m sorry.” L said apologetically. “And how many times must I tell you not to call me by my real name!”

 

“But I like it! Myungsoo, Myungsoo, Myungsoo!”

 

The choding was at it again, brightening up everybody’s mood early in the morning, making Eunji smile at her pabo oppas.

 

The day seemed to go by quickly and smoothly for Eunji. The history teacher did not pick on her, she did not see any of the queenkas today and Mr Choi was missing from the detention room as usual, giving her enough time to finish up her homework before leaving.

 

Eunji then thought to find her two favourite oppas to go home together but she was unable to contact the both of them. Apparently, the rest of infinite were at their usual spot in school “studying”. Eunji know better when they said they were studying, how is five good friends together able to study peacefully? Especially with the choding Sungyeol oppa and the ever lazy Sunggyu oppa. Eunji decided to go around the campus in search for L and Hoya.

 

As she walked passed the empty classrooms, she arrived at another building that consists of studios for dancing, singing and musical instruments. These rooms were specially designed for students who have an interest for the arts and the existing clubs that require these facilities.

 

As she got closer to one of the studios, she could hear some music faintly. Eunji got drawn by the music and went in search for the studio. It was easy to find which studio and she found herself staring at the person inside the studio dancing his heart out.

 

The dancer had slick and smooth moves, with every move being on point. His uniform was soaked with sweat even though the studio was air-conditioned. One could easily see his toned body through the thin material and Eunji couldn’t keep her eyes off the dancer.

 

After awhile, the dancer felt as thought someone was staring at him and he looked right out just to see Eunji standing there.

 

Eunji turned away and blushed a deep shade of red as she felt her heart thumping hard in her chest.

 

“Why are you standing out there? Come on in.” Hoya took her hand and pulled her into the dance studio.

 

“Oppa I didn’t mean to creep up on you like that, I was looking for you or L oppa but I just happened to see you here.” She gave an awkward smile to which Hoya returned and ruffled her hair.

 

“You don’t have to apologise Eunji, how about joining me?”

 

“N-neh?! I… I don’t know how to dance!” She waved her hands showing that she didn’t want to dance but Hoya took her hand.
 

“I’ll teach you, come.” He then pulled Eunji close to him and placed one of her hands on his waist and held the other. Soon after, he was teaching her how to ballroom dance.

 

“If I take one step back, you take one step forward. If I go to the side, you’ll follow as well. You just have to follow my lead okay? It’s really simple.”

 

“Okay.” Eunji said as she stepped on his foot almost immediately. “Sorry oppa! I didn’t mean to!”

 

Hoya just laughed it off. “It’s okay, this happens often, don’t feel sorry. Come, let’s try again and keep you hands on my shoulders.”

 

Hoya had really broad shoulders and Eunji only realized it now. She could feel her skin burning at the contact especially with Hoya holding her waist. Her face felt hot and her heart was beating fast.

 

Eunji wasn’t a dancer hence she felt embarrassed doing this especially with Hoya and him looking so y at the moment. The beads of sweat were dripping form his hair down to his jaw and it enhanced his already sharp jawline even more. In other words, Hoya looked extremely handsome and y to Eunji at the moment. She couldn’t focus on the dace even with Hoya guiding and kept stepping on his feet.

 

“I’m sorry oppa, I’m bad at dancing.” she said apologetically.

 

“You’re not bad, you just need some practice. Here, follow my lead.” He reassured her and took her hand in his again.

 

Eunji finally got the hang of it after stepping on his foot countless times and she began enjoying her dance with Hoya. The more they danced, the closer they got to each other and Hoya leaned in closer until their foreheads were touching. Hoya’s hands reached out to touch her cheek and all Eunji could think do was to stare at his beautiful brown orbs. Both their hearts were racing as they continued staring into each other’s eyes. Hoya slowly closed in and Eunji closed her eyes. After a few seconds, she felt nothing. Embarrassed, she opened her eyes to see Hoya staring right back at her.

 

“Thank you for the dance.” Hoya whispered and then broke away from Eunji, leaving her disappointed. “Let’s go look for L now, he’s probably waiting for us.”

 

She followed Hoya out of the studio and they went in search of L. The atmosphere between them turned a little awkward. *Was Hoya oppa going to kiss me just now? Was I anticipating it? Ommo, what were you thinking Song Eunji!*

 

*Were you trying to kiss her? Oh my Lee Howon, get a grip! You’re not supposed to let anyone know about your crush. Unless you’re willing to lose a friend.*

 

L, on the other hand, was in the piano room composing a song. He began composing not too long ago, before Hoya admitted that he liked Eunji. L thought that since composing would take some time, he would have finally mustered enough courage to confess to Eunji after he’s done with the song and serenade her. That was his big plan, until Hoya came along. Now he’s at a loss of what to do. Feeling frustrated, he banged against the piano keys and that was when the door opened.

 

“Ommo, L oppa! Why are you treating the piano so badly! What did it do to you!” Eunji ran over and pretended to comfort the poor piano.

 

“It didn’t do anything to me, I just had no inspiration.” L held his hands up in the air. “I’ve been working on this song for awhile but I can’t seem to finish it.”

 

“Whoa, L you’re composing? Maybe one day we could collaborate, you compose a song and I’ll choreograph a dance.” Hoya suggested.

 

Eunji clapped her hands hearing that, “that sounds great! Then I can see both my favourite oppas performing together! Now let’s go home, I’m hungry.”

 

*Aish Song Eunji, why do you have to look so cute. Stop making my heart flutter.* L thought as he smiled to himself.

 

During the walk home, the three good friends chatted and suddenly L remembered, “ah! This is for you Eunji.” L rummaged through his bag and handed over Eunji’s favourite snack.

 

Eunji gasped at the sight of her favourite snack which she jut cannot resist. “Choco pie! Thanks a lot L oppa! How did you think to save one for me?”

 

“Well, the last time I didn’t, I got an earful from you so I might as well save one for you from now on.” *The truth is, I’ll always save them for you.* L ruffled her hair and watched her munch away her favourite snack. Nothing makes him happier than seeing Eunji happy. Right then, he finally got some inspiration for his song and decided to finish it the first thing when he reach home.

 

“Yah, what about me? Why didn’t you save one for me too?” Hoya pouted cutely in a joking way.

 

L laughed and gave his hyung a light punch, “I should be asking you that! You ate half the box!”

 

“Hoya oppa, save some for me next time too! Don’t be such a pig!” Eunji teased, forgetting the moment the awkward moment that they had earlier in the dance studio. Things were normal between the both of them again and it was really a sigh of relief for Hoya. If things were to become awkward, he would not know how to face Eunji ever again, risking their friendship as well.

 

“Omma! I’m home!” Eunji called out the first thing when she arrived home but the house was silent. “Maybe omma is working overtime. I shall wait for her to come back with dinner then!”

 

When L reached home, the first thing he did was to go on his keyboard and starting playing on it. He was determined to finish this song that he has been working on for weeks so that he can hurry confess to Eunji. Or at least he thought he should probably talk to Hoya about it.

 

“Hey L, aren’t you going to shower and have dinner?” Hoya popped in and asked him.

 

“It’s okay hyung, I am almost done. I don’t want to lose the inspiration that I have right now.”

 

Hoya just nodded and reminded him not to skip his meals before leaving the room.

 

After an hour or so, L was done with his melody composition, all that’s left was to fill in the lyrics and practice his singing and he will be all set to move Eunji’s heart. *I hope she’ll be happy about this.*

 

 

“Ah wait, I should talk to hyung about this too. What would he think if I suddenly told him I liked Eunji as well, will he be angry? What if he thinks I’m stealing her from him?” L paced back and forth, worrying about their friendship that might be affected by his selfishness. L then went to the living room and he didn’t even see his mom heating up his soup for him.

 

Mrs Kim had heated up the dishes for him whereas L just ate with a lot of thoughts going through his head. Just how is L going to let Hoya know about his crush as well and how is Hoya going to take it? What if the both of them ended up fighting over the same girl? *why is this so hard*

 

Over at Eunji’s house, she’s been waiting for her mom to return. Mrs Song doesn’t usually come back so late without letting her know beforehand and Eunji was starting to get worried. She tried calling her mom for the past hour but her mom’s phone was unavailable. Mrs Song hardly switched off her phone unless it was a super important meeting but otherwise, she would have left it on.

 

Just then, the house phone rang and Eunji rushed to pick it up.

 

“Hi, this is Song residence, can I help you?”

 

“Song Jimin has met with a car accident and has been sent to the hospital. She is in a critical condition so can her family please come over right now.”

 

Eunji dropped the house phone. She was stunned for a moment and when she regained her senses, all she could think was her omma.

 

“Omma… Omma… Omma!” Eunji rushed into her room to grab her stuff and hurried out of the house with hot tears rolling down her cheels.

 

L was having his late dinner and Hoya was watching TV at the moment. L thought about it long and hard and he realized that he should let Hoya know how he felt about Eunji as well. It should be a fair fight for her heart anyway.

 

He finally got the courage and took a deep breath before calling Hoya. “Hyung.”

 

“Yes?” Hoya replied with his eyes still glued to the TV.

 

“I… I have… Something to say,” L stuttered.

 

“Go on,” Hoya urged.

 

L cleared his throat, “I… I-“

 

L was interrupted by the opening of the house door. In came Eunji with tears in her eyes and a very anxious look. Both boys jumped in their respective seats seeing her looking so afraid, so upset.

 

“I need to go to the hospital… Omma… Omma…” And Eunji began crying.

 

 

 

 

 

 


it's a very loooooong chapter!!!! hehehehe