Chapter 19

Protecting The One

School was somewhat normal but the atmosphere between the friends was just a little down. The rest of them heard of the news and wished they could console Hoya in one way or another. He must’ve been so confused now that he knows the truth. Hoya hardly smiled the past few days and it was worrying for Eunji. According to L, he didn’t pay attention in class and he didn’t even participate during gym lesson, which he loved. Sitting at their usual lunch table, Eunji could only see him picking on his food.

 

She took a piece of meat and placed it on his spoon. “Eat up oppa, you need the energy for school.” Hoya gave her a small smile and took a bite, giving in to her. But that was all he could manage. Eunji slumped in her seat, not knowing how to help him.

 

The usual mood maker, Sungyeol, sensed the gloominess of the table and decided to start a conversation. “Hoya-ah, now that you know who your birth parents are, at least there’s one thing you can check off your bucket list! Isn’t that what you’ve always wanted to know?”

 

“Eh? Oh, yeah. But now I’m not so sure if knowing is a good thing or not.” He muttered out the last sentence. Eunji gave Sungyeol a kick under the table for asking such a redundant question. “Ouch! It hurts!” Sungyeol glared at her and she glared back. Eunji took a spoonful of rice and stuffed it into his mouth, hinting that he should not be talking anymore.

 

Woohyun was silently eating his lunch when he saw Hyeri and her twin friends walking into the cafeteria and he suddenly thought of something. “Yah, guys, if Hoya is the son of the CEO of Lee Enterprise, doesn’t that make him the half-brother of Lee Hyeri?” Woohyun whispered, making sure no one else heard it. Technically, the fact that Hoya is an illegitimate son is still unknown to the world.

 

“Yah! Look at the situation will you!” Sunggyu hit the back of Woohyun’s head. Hard. The leader glanced at Hoya to make sure he was alright but Hoya was still looking at his food and picking on it.

 

“Who cares if she’s related to Hoya or not. He’s still my hyung and that’s that.” L spoke up, gaining a smile from Sunggyu for having saved the awkward situation.

 

That evening, the Kims invited Eunji over for dinner as well since she now lives alone; they took the responsibility to take care of her meals. The first thing Eunji did when she arrived at their house was to dash up to Hoya’s room.

 

“Oppa! I’m—“ she stopped herself when she saw a sleeping Hoya. She sat on the floor next to his bed and stared at his face. Eunji pushed his fringe aside and gently touched his cheek. He must have been losing sleep the past few nights to be sleeping right before dinner like that. Feeling the contact on his skin, Hoya slowly opened his eyes, only to see the most beautiful girl in front of him. He gave Eunji a smile before propping himself up on his elbows.

 

Through the gaps of his room door, L peeped through and saw the interaction. He thought he would’ve been used to it by now but he still felt pain. He carefully knocked on the room door before entering. “Hyung, Eunji-ah, dinner is ready. Let’s go down.”

 

During dinner, Mr and Mrs Kim attempted to make small talk so that they could bring up Mr Lee’s question. Sensing something going on, Hoya decided to be straightforward and asked what was going on. “Omma, appa, is there anything you want to say?”

 

“Howon-ah…” Mrs Kim couldn’t bear herself to bring up the question. Sure, it may be selfish of her but she was the one who raised him for the past eighteen years. Mr Kim sensed his wife restraining herself; hence he decided to bring up the question instead.

 

“If… let’s just say if, you had the chance, do you want to go to the Lees?”

 

Hoya set his chopsticks down whereas Eunji and L tensed up. “Omma, appa, this is my home for the past eighteen years, and it will still be.” With that, he announced that he was full and politely left the dinner table.

 

Eunji could do nothing but watch him leave. She wanted to follow him, to console him, to offer him help in any way that she could offer but L stopped her. L gave her a look, assuring her that he’ll talk to Hoya later and urged her to finish her food.

 

Once they were done with dinner, L hurriedly chased Eunji out of the house and walked her back home. “Oppa, I still think—“

 

“Shhhh stop talking will you. Since when did you become so talkative? I told you I’d talk to him.” L opened her front door for her, waiting for her to enter before he goes home.

 

“I’m really worried about Hoya oppa, I need to know if he’s okay.”

 

“Fine,” he closed her front door, “if you’re that worried, come with me.” L took her hand in his and headed off in another direction, away from home. “Oppa, where are you taking me?”

 

As though there was music playing in the background, L felt like he was in a drama scene. He even got to hold Eunji’s hand, something he longed to since they were kids. He led her to their favourite convenient store and went straightaway to the drinks section. He then went on to buy Hoya favourite drink and a bottle of banana milk for Eunji, despite her protests and questions about what he was doing pulling her away like that.

 

After which, they headed in the direction of the playground near their home. He let go of her hand and shoved the banana milk in her arms. “Yah, Kim Myungsoo, what was that for?” An obviously annoyed Eunji asked as she went to sit on the swing.

 

L flicked her forehead, “that’s Kim Myungsoo oppa for you! Mwyoh? Yah?!”

 

“That hurts!” She rubbed her now red forehead and started drinking her banana milk. “Hyung… I think he needs some time alone to think through everything. Eunji-ah, let’s just give him some time okay?” Don’t push him. Once you push someone too hard, they may just break.” L reached out and Eunji’s forehead where he flicked earlier, feeling apologetic that he had hurt her.

 

She looked up with those big bambi eyes and sighed. “I’m just really worried about him you know. He hasn’t said much bout the situation and I don’t want him to keep everything pent up inside. It to not know what he’s thinking about. She gave a pout, which looked absolutely adorable in L’s eyes.

 

“I know.” L shifted his hand form her forehead to her hair and started putting her bangs in place. “I’ll talk to him. Man to man. Don’t worry okay? Come on, it’s getting late, let’s go.” He stood up and offered his arm, which she gladly took it and hooked her arm around his.

 

This time round, L even made sure Eunji was safe in her own room before he returned to his own house. He peered into Hoya’s room only to find Hoya lying down on his bed with both hands at the back of his head, staring into the ceiling. L then knocked onto the door for permission of enter.

 

He threw the bag of juice in Hoya’s direction which Hoya caught while he was sitting up. “What’s this for?’ Hoya took his favourite drink packet and started sipping it.

 

“It’s a bribe.” L gave him a smirk, “to get you to talk.” L then went to sit at the corner of his bed.

 

“Talk about what?”

 

“Hyung, I know there’s a lot going through your mind right now. But do know that I’m here for you. Omma and appa are here for you. The rest of infinite as well.” L reached out to pat Hoya on the back, “most of all, Eunji too.” At the mention of her name, L felt like he was going to explode. Here he was, trying to help the two in their relationship but it turns out that the girl in the relationship is the love of his frigging life. “She’s your girlfriend, if there’s anything, it’s alright to talk to her. She wants to know.”

 

There was a moment of silence before Hoya replied. “I know. I just don’t know how to start. Or what am I going to do next. This is so frustrating, you know?”

 

“Hyung, no matter what it is, you’ll always be family.” L gave him one last pat on the back and left the room. Before he close the door, he added in, “just talk to Eunji, okay? She’s worried about you.”

 

“Gomawo, Myungsoo.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hey my lovely readers! Despite the fact that I have 2 upcoming quizzes and 2 assignments due this week, I still updated the story!!! Maybe it's because I'm just procrastinating my work... sigh I got to get back to it soon :( it was a very short and (boring) chapter but I hope you guys can still keep a look out for future chapters!!!! I have so much more to share and I have so many ideas for new fics so yeah, I can't wait till I finish this and start on a new one. But fret not, PTO isn't ending so soon hahahahahaha. Hope you guys will have a great week ahead! (not for poor me becuase it's the start of hell week for me)