Chapter 40

Protecting The One

Hoya was flying off today. This very fateful day that everyone dreaded. After Hoya and Eunji had broken up, everybody else was informed of this news and they tried not to make things awkward by bringing it up. The person who was the most shocked was Sunggyu. He was sure he had talked Hoya into maintaining the relationship but things just turned out differently. Sometimes, Sunggyu really couldn’t understand that kid.

 

The butler was loading up all of Hoya’s luggage and bags while a group of men dressed in black came to the house. Hoya was surprised at the men because they were all dressed in black, they were all well built and most of all they all looked like bodyguards.

 

“These are some men I hired as your bodyguards. They will be going to America with you so you don’t have to worry too much about safety. They’ve got you covered.” Mrs Lee said while introducing the four guards. One of them however, looked different from the rest. He was slightly older and had a scruff of beard at his chin. The others were cleanly shaved and had their hair sleeked back while this middle aged man had his messily combed. Wait, it was like he didn’t even comb his hair at all. He just looked different from the others.

 

 Minhyuk grabbed the last of his bags and loaded them into the back of the car before he opened the door for Hoya. However, Minhyuk stole a glance at the man dressed in black. It was as though he was sending signals with his eyes, hoping that the man would catch and understand what he meant. The man gave him a small nod and went to Hoya’s car.

 

Hyeri came out dressed all nicely, ready to send her half-brother off at the airport as well. Mr and Mrs Lee, Hyeri, the infinite members and even Mr and Mrs Kim will be there to send Hoya off together with his newly hired bodyguards. Will Eunji be there? Hoya wasn’t sure. He wanted to see Eunji one last time before he left but she probably hates his guts right now.

 

Taking one last look at the huge lonely mansion that stood right before him, he let out a sigh. It had been a few short months and even though this place did not bring back good memories, he still felt attached to it. This hollow mansion, if only he could fill it with some love, some kindness and compassion, it would be a great place to live in.

 

--

 

At the airport gates, Mrs Kim was crying. She had brought some warm clothes for Hoya to bring over and she kept reminding him to keep himself warm when the weather gets cold. “Omma, I promise you, I will take good care of myself.” Hoya reassured his foster mom again and again.

 

“I know you will.” Kim Eunsol nodded as Hoya wiped off her tears.

 

Contrary to what Hoya had imagined, Eunji had actually came with the infinite members. She didn’t look too happy and she wouldn’t meet his eye. All she did was stick closely to L and talk amongst the others, as though he was invisible. Hoya then knew that she was still upset. She was more than just angry, she was upset and hurt and he was sorry for bringing about all that pain.

 

To love someone, why does one have to hurt them? Most of all, being hurt by the one you loved the most actually hurts the most. Hoya hated himself then and there but he had no choice. It was his only option to keep her safe.

 

Everybody else came to bid him goodbye, had some photos taken as well except for the one he wanted to speak to the most. His father was very reluctant to let him go and one can see the sadness in his eyes. It hasn’t been long since he got is son back and now he has to let him go to a faraway place, he was very much reluctant. Even Hyeri came up to give him a sisterly hug.

 

“Hyung, take care of yourself there. Do remember to send us some photos from time to time and always keep in contact. Oh, let us know your address as well, we’ll send some stuff over, I’m sure mom would have some things she wants you to have. Remember to keep yourself warm, I heard it’s—“

 

“Myungsoo,” Hoya interrupted L before he could go on and on with his nagging and reminders and he gave him a hug. “Brothers always.”

 

L hugged him back, feeling as though he was about to cry because he will really miss Hoya. So much. “Brothers always.” He whispered back before letting his hyung go.

 

“Howon-sshi, it’s time.” Minhyuk pointed out as he handed Hoya his passport. Despite the stares coming from Mrs Lee, Minhyuk gave Hoya a hug in front of everybody. “Good luck over there in America. Trust nobody but yourself and Hyuk. He’ll protect you.” Minhyuk whispered in his ear while hugging him but Hoya was confused. Hyuk? Who was that? Was this another warning from Minhyuk? Just what is he hiding from him?

 

Minhyuk then pulled away and gave Hoya a smile. “Bon voyage.”

 

At the side, L nudged Eunji. “Are you really not going to say goodbye to hyung?”

 

Eunji stared at L without a sound and he knew that she wanted to. She really wanted to but her pride wouldn’t let her. After all, they had broken up. What if Hoya didn’t want to talk to her? It would just hurt her more.

 

“Alright guys, before hyung enters the gates, let’s leave them to say their goodbyes.” L pushed Eunji towards Hoya, causing her to stumble in his direction until he caught her safe in his arms.

 

“Mwoh ya!” Eunji’s gaze pierced through L’s as she was glaring at him for doing that. Everybody else understood and backed away, leaving the once loving couple to say their final goodbyes.

 

The two stood there awkwardly, with Eunji not wanting to meet Hoya’s eye and Hoya just standing there without a word. He immediately let go of her once she had steadied herself but he almost brought his arms back to her side once again. Just almost. It was a habit, which he still hasn’t gotten rid of and he doesn’t want to.

 

“So erm… I’m really leaving.” Hoya stated awkwardly. The amount of awkwardness in the atmosphere is more than the number of times the word awkward was even mentioned.

 

Eunji held back her tears. She couldn’t break down in front of him now after keeping it together for so long hence she just nodded.

 

“It’s getting colder so remember your scarf at all times. You always forget your scarf.” Hoya reminded.

 

Eunji couldn’t help but let a tear escape her eye. He remembered. Even though they have broken up, Hoya still remembers and he still cares.  This just made things harder for her to say her farewell. Obviously, she still cares about him, a lot.

 

Hoya gently placed his hand against her cheek, wiping away the tear that escaped. With a daring move, he even brought her face to him. Something that Eunji didn’t want to. She didn’t want him to see her this way. She wanted him to think she was all fine but that was obviously not true.

 

“Don’t cry anymore Eunji. Throughout the times we’ve been together, I have made you cry so many times and I don’t want to see you cry anymore. I fell in love with the girl who had a beautiful smile, so smile. Don’t cry for me anymore. Don’t cry for anymore else too, because those who love you, won’t make you cry.” Hoya then pulled Eunji into a hug, which she ended up crying even more.

 

Eunji buried herself in his embrace and soaked his hoodie with her tears. She held onto him tightly, not wanting to let go because this may be the last time she will get to be in his embrace. With one last whisper, Hoya said to her, “goodbye Eunji.”

 

He pulled away without looking at her and waved at all the people who were sending him off. His father, his foster parents, his best friends, Minhyuk and even Hyeri. Together with his new bodyguards, he turned around and headed to the boarding gates, without a single glance at Eunji. Immediately after he turned around, tears fell. He started crying. He was really leaving Eunji behind. Hopefully, she’ll fall for L because he’s a great guy and he will definitely take good care of her. *At least, he wouldn’t make you cry anymore. Be happy Eunji, you deserve it.*

 

--

 

Ever since Hoya left, Eunji had returned to a state when her mother had died. It was like history repeated itself and Eunji was back to being a statue sitting in the living room. She wouldn’t move, she wouldn’t eat, she wouldn’t even sleep and all she does is stare at the photos of her and Hoya. This was even worse than when Hoya had broken up with her. Sometimes, she would cry and whisper to herself “he’s gone” and then she would cry again.

 

L came over everyday stayed by her side most of the time. He even cooked for her and sometimes stayed overnight but she was still the same. It was the holidays and she should be out there having fun with friends but here she is, being all sad and depressed. This has continued for about a week and L was super worried. The others were worried too but they hardly have the time to come over to visit since they all found a part time job. Only L hasn’t gotten a job because he wanted to be by Eunji’s side all the time, to make sure she’s okay.

 

Finally today, L had managed to coax her out of the house and the two went for a stroll in the park. He pointed out to her the things around but all Eunji did was stare and walk. She didn’t smile anymore and that pains L. *Please Eunji, don’t do this to yourself. Hyung wouldn’t want to see you this way. He wanted you to be happy.*

 

The two then came to a stop at the playground. The same one where they had shared a lot of good memories together. Though there were bad ones as well, the good outweighs the bad. They sat in silence and watched a pair of siblings play catching at the playground. Both were no older than ten and eight. The older brother was chasing after the younger brother and he had accidentally pushed the younger brother to the ground.

 

Automatically, the younger kid started crying because there was a scratch on his arm. The mother of the two came running over immediately to attend to the younger boy. While she picked him up from the ground and took care of his wound, she was scolding the older bother as well. “Yah Lee Chanhee! How can you push your brother on the floor like this! Hurry apologize!”

 

The older brother apologized and hung his head low in shame. Meanwhile, the mother started coaxing the younger child to soothe his pain and stop him from crying. “Byunghun-ah, don’t cry anymore. Omma is here,” the mom said as she cleaned his wound but he didn’t stop crying. “It hurts, omma understand it hurts but let omma tell you something. You, Lee Byunghun, are a strong boy. You will grow up to be a strong man. What is a little injury to a strong man?”

 

The boy didn’t stop crying.

 

“Aigoo, our Byunghunnie is a strong kid. Always remember that when you fall down, you must pick yourself up. You may cry and you may be hurt, but always always, pick yourself up.”

 

Slowly, the boy stopped crying and the mother gave him a smile, before taking him along with his older brother back home.

 

L and Eunji witnessed the scene and even heard whatever the mother was saying. L looked over to Eunji cautiously, not wanting to alarm her or anything and she seemed deep in thought.

 

“The mother is right,” he spoke first, cautiously and carefully. “When you fall, you may be hurt, you may even cry, but always remember to pick yourself back up.” He was referring to the situation and Eunji know well enough what he was implying.

 

What Eunji didn’t know was, if she could even pick herself up again. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Wew! This story had hit the big '4' for the number of chapters! Which also mean that it's going to end in around 10 chapters but how will it end??? Hehehe. So Hoya left for America and what awaits him??? What's going to happend to Eunji?? And poor L who is forever at the sidelines? What's going to happen to them all?!?!?!?! 

I'll be really sad when this story ends becuase it's my first ever fan fic that I've written so it means a lot to me. Never would have thought people actually enjoy reading it so as usual, I'm going to thank my readers again. Even if you don't comment or suscribe or upvote, it doesn't matter becuase I still want to thank you all for enjoying this. hehehehehehehehehe have a great week ahead everybody! Like always. :)