Chapter 39

Protecting The One

Graduation day. Finally, it was the senior’s graduation day and Eunji was so excited to see her oppas graduating, especially Sungyeol since he thought he wouldn’t even see this day. All the families of graduating seniors were seated in the hall and Eunji was amongst them, ready to congratulate her oppas.

 

Sunggyu, L and Hoya were the only ones who made the cut to Seoul University but seeing that Hoya would be leaving soon, his grades weren’t that important. Sungyeol was whining that if he were leaving, why would he put himself through this torture of studying in the first place. He could have helped him cheat in the exam or something. Hoya just laughed at his friend and smacked him at the back of his head. “Stop hitting my head! This is why I’m so stupid!” The choding yelled back in his seat.

 

The rest did fairly well with Dongwoo, Woohyun and Sungjong making the cut to a second tier university and Sungyeol just barely made the cut. The choding was extremely happy because he did it. He made it to a second tier university. The hard work for the entire year had been worth it and he had his friends to thank as well since they had helped him so much throughout the year.

 

After the graduation ceremony, there were photos being taken everywhere. Even though Mr Lee and Minhyuk were there to attend Hoya’s graduation, Hoya still ended up looking for Mr and Mrs Kim to take a photo. Mrs Kim was crying with joy because both her sons had managed to do so well and she was so proud of them.

 

“Congratulations oppa, you did it.” Eunji smiled as she handed her boyfriend flowers. Hoya gave her a wide smile, something he hasn’t done in some time, before he pulled her in for a hug.

 

During their emotional embrace, there was the sound of the shutter. “It’s the perfect graduation picture!” Sungjong snapped with his camera in his hands and the others gather around.

 

They gave each other congratulatory greetings and hugs. “Let’s take a group photo.” Sunggyu said while he patted Hoya on the back. “It’s going to be a last group photo in some time.” He muttered under his breath.

 

“Hyung, what did you say?” Woohyun gave his usual cheeky smile.

 

“Shut up and get ready to look good.” Sunggyu smirked.

 

“Right,” Woohyun immediately used his phone camera as a mirror and started setting his hair straight for a nice photo.

 

Who knew, that Sunggyu was right.

 

--

 

That night after the graduation ceremony, Eunji and Hoya went on a date. It was just a simple date where they headed to a seafood restaurant near the Han River. It was perfect because they could take a stroll right after dinner by the beautiful river.

 

Strangely, the date felt off. It had a different vibe to other dates that they have been on. Eunji could feel something was wrong but she couldn’t really point out where. At first, she was really excited to go on a date with the love of her life but while she was on the date, it felt extremely weird. Maybe it was because they hadn’t had a date in a long time. Maybe that was why Hoya was acting so distant.

 

Hand in hand, they walked down the Han River and the two saw a high school couple holding hands and walking in the opposite direction.

 

Smiling, Eunji whispered into his ear. “Oppa, don’t you think they’re like us a year ago?”

 

Hoya nodded in agreement but he didn’t say anything. Eunji’s smile faded seeing his unenthusiastic response and she wondered what went wrong. Was Hoya upset that he will be leaving soon?

 

Finally, Eunji couldn’t take it anymore and decided to just ask him what was bothering him in a straightforward manner. “Oppa, you’re the one who asked me out on a date but now you’re the one whose mind is not present. What are you thinking about?”

 

Hoya’s footsteps came to a stop and so did Eunji’s. He turned to face her and placed both of his hands on her shoulders. The lights were setting a beautiful background for him but Eunji knew what he was going to say wasn’t good news. It was never when he placed his arms this way.

 

“Eunji-ah, I am so sorry about…”

 

Eunji’s ears pricked up but she couldn’t bring herself to say a word. She stood there, listening quietly to Hoya. He apologized. She hated it what he apologized but right now; he’s apologizing yet again.

 

“About everything. I’m sorry about everything.” Hoya’s face didn’t change when he said it although his jaw had tensed up. “Let’s break up.”

 

Suddenly, everything in Eunji’s world went quiet. There was no sound, just a loud screeching sound that was deafening and Hoya’s words repeated in her head. Without knowing it, tears started falling and Eunji was shaking.

 

“W-why?” She cried.

 

Hoya kept his face straight, not showing a single emotion. “I’ll be leaving soon. To somewhere far away, there is really no need to waste time on a long distance relationship.”

 

“I thought we were going to work it out. We—“

 

“I’ll be so far away, I’ll be meeting new people, having new friends, I… I may even meet someone new.” Hoya interrupted. There was a slight flinch when he said the last sentence but he hope Eunji didn’t catch the action.

 

She couldn’t believe her ears. Eunji just shook her head mumbling “no”. This cannot be it. Hoya cannot be breaking up with her now when there’s only two weeks left till he leaves. This cannot be happening.

 

“Let’s break up.” Hoya said it once again.

 

There was no expression on his face, no tear, no sadness, just expressionless. She started hitting his chest, as though that would make him take back his words. However, he just stood there, letting her hit him to her hearts content.

 

“I hate you, I hate you!” Eunji hit him hard one last time before she turned around and ran away.

 

Only after Eunji had turned around, did Hoya finally let the tears fall. “Eunji-ah, I’m sorry.”

 

--

 

She ran and ran, towards the direction back home. To get back, she had to take a bus, which she did but the tears wouldn’t stop falling. The bus driver was shocked to see a crying girl and he even asked if she was okay but she just shook her head and went to the back of the bus.

 

Eunji sat there while the tears fall. This is what it felt like to be hurt by the one she loved the most. She felt her chest tightening, the tears falling non-stop and she couldn’t breathe properly. She sat there as the bus drove around until her tears had dried up before she left and finally walked home.

 

The road back was dark and it was already very late at night. Nobody else was on the street and Eunji’s tears started to fall again.

 

Just then, someone appeared in front of her.

 

“Eunji? What happened? Why are you crying?” L asked anxiously. He thought she would be having the time of her life with Hoya but instead here she is, crying on the streets. He couldn’t sleep because he knew that Eunji was out there having fun with her loved one and he just couldn’t fall asleep with his mind wandering around so he went out to take a walk.

 

“Oppa!” Eunji threw her arms over L and hugged him tightly while she leaned against his shoulders, still crying.

 

L returned her hug and her back lightly. “Shhh… don’t cry. Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

Choking back her sobs, Eunji managed to squeeze out the words. “Hoya oppa… h-he broke up with me.”

 

Eunji started sobbing once again because it just hurts so much to lose the one you love.

 

--

 

The next day, L marched to the front door of the Lee’s mansion. He tried to enter but the security wouldn’t budge. He insisted that he needed to see Hoya but the security wouldn’t believe him. L had two security guards holding him from entering the premises while another was trying to get hold of Hoya to check L’s identity.

 

“Let him go, he’s my best friend, you can let him in.” Hoya replied through the small screen they had for security.

 

The security then followed L all the way to Hoya’s room and finally left when Hoya dismissed them. Immediately after the security guards were gone, L went up and grabbed Hoya by the collar, giving him a shock.

 

Hoya’s smile faded when he saw the fury in L’s eyes. He knew this was coming. He just had to face it.

 

“Hit me,” Hoya taunted. “I deserve it.”

 

L’s grip tightened on his shirt and his jaw locked. He was fuming mad. However, L wasn’t the type to go throwing his fist around. He loosened his grip and let go of Hoya shirt.

 

“Why? Why did you hurt the girl you love? The girl we love.” L asked with hurt in his voice.

 

Hoya sighed, “she deserves so much more. After thinking about it, she deserves so much more than I can give her. She deserves someone like you.”

 

L was stunned. Was he the reason for their breakup? If he were, he would never forgive himself because he had put the girl he loved in so much pain.

 

“I’m leaving soon. I won’t be able to stay by her side and protect her. But you can. Promise me you’ll protect her to the best you can.”

 

L shook his head, “hyung, you can work this out. A long distance relationship is possible!” He was getting desperate. It was as though he was Eunji, pleading with Hoya to take back his words and savage the relationship.

 

Hoya was the one shaking his head this time. “No, you don’t understand. This is the only way to protect her.”

 

L was confused right now. What the hell is Hoya talking about?

 

“I have to let her go. I have to show that I’m not in love with her anymore, so that I can protect her. Mrs Lee hates me… this whole ‘going to America to study’ idea was all hers. She told me if I didn’t go, she will harm Eunji. That’s when I realized that no matter what, as long as Eunji is with me, she will be in danger. Mrs Lee would always use her to threaten me.” Hoya was the verge of tears just thinking about how much he had hurt Eunji. “You never know what she’s capable of, she’s a monster.”

 

L’s mouth hung open but he couldn’t form a sentence. There were so many things going through his head now. Mrs Lee… she’s the reason why Hoya is giving Eunij up. She’s the one causing Eunji to be in such pain. It’s all her fault.

 

Seeing his silence, Hoya continued. “Myungsoo, promise me you’ll take care of her. You’ll protect her no matter what. Please? And also, promise me you won’t tell her what I just told you.”

 

L still couldn’t form the words in his head. He couldn’t say a single word. Here he thought his hyung had become a cold-hearted bastard to leave his girlfriend so cruelly but in actual fact, he was only doing so to protect her.

 

“Promise?” Hoya pressed on. “You have to. It’s the only way to guarantee her safety.”

 

L slowly nodded, “I… I p-promise.”

 

Hoya went up to give him a hug, tears welling up in his eyes. “Thank you. Thank you so much. Eunji deserves someone like you.”

 

L was now stuck in a difficult position. He had just promised not to tell Eunji anything but seeing how Eunji was hurting broke his heart into a million pieces. “It’s the only way to guarantee her safety.” Hoya’s words replayed in his head. Yes, Eunji’s safety comes first. He wouldn’t know what to do if someone had really hurt her and so he hoped that he made the right decision in the end. 

 

 

 

 

 


So I'm finally back from my holiday!!! I'm sorry I went away for so long becuase I had to settle some things even after I came back and now I have the time to update the story! I am starting to think I am a really horrible author for writing so much sadness for the characters.... :( forgive me everybody. I hope that you guys enjoy this chapter and I just want to say I'm thankful to each and everyone of you! (as always)

By the way, is it only me or is there someone else out there very excited for Teen Top's comeback????????? Sorry I'm just really excited about it hehehehe the teaser images are out and they look so perfect! *Squeals* 

Okay, sorry for the random sidetrack because I am really excited about it but I just want to say, do support my new story as well!!! I've updated it too and will continue to update both stories so do check it out ok!!! I'll put the link over here: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1062801/a-little-thing-about-love-hoya-infinite-myungsoo-sunggyu-woohyun sorry for the shamless promotion but a author's gotta do what an author's gotta do! ;)