Chapter 49

Protecting The One

A few days later, L had decided to ask Eunji out. She promised that she would save him one date and he will definitely not let that chance slip away. L has wasted too much time giving in and giving up, he has to get him game going this time. However, he knew that it would be hard to earn Eunji's love. She's been talking about Hoya here Hoya there all the time ever since he came back.

This one date with Eunji, L didn't know if it's going to be the first and the last but he's going to give it all he has got. At least, he can live with himself for trying.

It was a Saturday and L was pacing around nervously, checking his watch ever too frequently till it was time to pick Eunji up. He had planned a nice afternoon with just the both of them at one of Eunji's favorite places—lotte world.

Once the time was up, L had run over to Eunji's house to ring the doorbell. She opened the door and stood there perfectly in her outfit for the day. "Don't you always panic about what to wear to go on a date?" L teased, knowing how she always called him for his help before her dates with Hoya. Maybe he wanted her to freak out about what to wear on their date as well. He wanted to be just as important to her as Hoya.

"You don't know how long I spent rummaging through my wardrobe all alone." Eunji said dramatically and L broke into a smile. Maybe he was as important as well. That's a good start.

"You look good." He complimented with a big smile on his face. "Come on, let's get going." L took Eunji's free hand and they hit the streets.

L had made sure to stick to her as closely as possible. Protecting her from any sort of potential danger around, such as people who were about to knock into her and stuff like that. Luckily for L, his actions didn't go unnoticed as Eunji realized it. She gave a grateful smile but she kept her silence.

"Oppa, where are we going?" Eunji asked, curious as they boarded the bus.

L gave her a smirk, "you'll love it. I'm sure of it." And he offered her to sit on the bus. It was crowded but L kept close to her.

--

The two got on a train and when they alighted, Eunji finally got a hint of where they were heading. "Ommo oppa!" She hit his arm excitedly as they neared the entrance to Lotte World.

"I knew you’d love this place."

"You sure know me well."

L had paid for the tickets and the both of them went in. The first thing Eunji did was pulled L to the hot air balloons ride. She was squealing with excitement like a little kid as they waited for their turn. L smiled at her lovingly. "You really like this ride so much?"

"I mean, isn't it fun? This place is so pretty it's like a fairy tale and you get to go up there and just get a whole glimpse of this pretty place! I'm just rambling on am I?" Eunji gave an apologetic look and L just stared on at her pretty face. He shook his head and patted her head.

Eunji looked away at this awkward moment because she could feel L's gaze burning through her skin. "Oh, let's go. It's our turn." She quickly changed the topic and went onto he ride before L could stare at her any longer.

She had looked like a kid, mesmerized by the beauty that Lotte World has to offer. More often than not, L had been staring at her the entire time because she just looked so stunning as compared to the beauty outside of the ride. After getting off the hot air balloon ride, the two then head to other rides that were family friendly. They weren't ready to take those harsher rides yet. At least L wasn't. He couldn't even imagine himself on those big rides so he's just not going to think about it.

The two then went to grab some lunch, meaning a hotdog and a drink as they walked around, spotting more rides to take.

"Oppa, how about these?" Eunji pulled L to a side where they sold headbands and balloons. Eunji went up to grab a cat ear headband and placed it on L's head. "You look cute in these."

"Really?" L checked himself out on his phone and then went to take another pair of cat ears and placed it on Eunji's head. She looked so adorable that L wanted to give her a huge hug then and there.

"You should get one for you and your girlfriend." The shop owner said as she saw the young couple trying it out. "If you get two, the second one will be half price." She smiled at the both of them.

Girlfriend?

Eunji immediately corrected the lady at the shop. "Ahhhh, we're not—”

"I'll get both then." L smiled and happily took out his wallet to pay the lady at the store. Eunji was baffled. L then pulled her close him with one arm around her and led her out of the store. Eunji held her drink close to her to prevent it from spilling and she looked at L's warm arms around her shoulders.

"Oppa..."

"Shhh... Just for today Eunji. Just for today." L whispered closed to her and Eunji softened. She could give him just this one day right? L held onto her tighter than ever. Just for this one day, he wanted to pretend that she was his. Even if he had to be selfish for this one day.

The two then walked to the pirate ship area and Eunji stopped in her footsteps. L's heart jumped and he was praying.

"Oppa," she let out a sly smile. "Let's go on this."

L's mouth went dry. "Err... o-okay." He found himself agreeing to it even though he was scared to death. *Gosh, Kim Myungsoo don't you dare act chicken in front of her.* Eunji then pulled L to the queue and they watched the people on the pirate ship having a good time. Or maybe some of them were just screaming out in agony but some of them were enjoying it. The lump in L's throat grew larger and he felt his palms sweating.

"Are you scared Oppa?" Eunji saw his nervous looking face and asked him.

L shook his head but his face paled. As if he wasn't fair enough, he just became fairer. Eunji laughed at his response tried to reassure him.

"We won't sit so high up okay." There was screaming coming from the background.

"O-okay." L stuttered.

"Oppa, you look very funny when you're nervous."

"Am I?" L tried to hide it but anybody could tell he was scared to the bones. Eunji had adjusted his cat ears headband and patted his shoulders while she nodded.

The both of them got closer to the ride and finally it was their turn after a long wait. Eunji had been considerate and picked the middle seats, in case L couldn't take it being so high up. They sat down and the safety belt came down on them. Eunji turned to look at L and he was closing his eyes. "Oppa," she whispered and he opened his eyes. "You can hold my hand if you want to." She reached out her hand and L immediately took it. His hands were cold by now and his heart was racing. Is it because he was holding her hand or is it because he was really scared? He had no idea.

During the entire ride, he could hear Eunji screaming and he was holding onto her hand super tightly as if his life depended on it. Also, his eyes were closed the entire ride as he felt his heart drop when the pirate ship came down.

After the ride had ended, he could hear laughter coming from next to him and he turned to see Eunji laughing. She was just laughing. "Yah." He scolded her for laughing at him.

"Oppa... HAHHAHAHA!" Eunji couldn't contain her laughter anymore and continued laughing. "I... I... You..." She continued laughing at him without any mercy.

"Song Eunji." L called out her name sternly.

"Arraso arraso, come here." She had finally stopped laughing and motioned for L to come closer so she could fix his hair. While she was fixing his hair, L just stared at her and he didn't know what made him do it but he pulled her into a hug. She felt warm against him and he rested her chin on his shoulders.

Eunji was too surprised by the action that she didn't know what to think. It was just so sudden and so she stood there, frozen. Their hug didn't last long when suddenly a ringtone was heard. It was L's phone.

"Yeoboseyo?"

Eunji stood there and watched L as he picked up the call but she could sense something was wrong when his expression had changed. His eyebrow furrowed and he almost shouted into the phone. "What?! Eunji is with me, we'll head down now."

"What happened?" Eunji asked anxiously seeing L's panicky face.

"Hyung's in the hospital."

"What?!"

--

"The doctor said he fell down some stairs and he broke his leg but thankfully it's just a broken leg and he's okay. I was so scared and worried..." Mrs Kim trailed off when she saw Eunji and L at the hospital.

"Which room is he in? Can we go see him?" Eunji asked frantically. She was worried sick the entire way to the hospital. Afraid that Hoya may have been in some sort of danger again, she couldn't just wait patiently, she had to head down to the hospital straight away.

Mrs Kim had led the way to Hoya's ward and Eunji was relieved to see him munching away on the food that was served to him. He had a cast on his leg but he still had a smile on his face as he chatted with Minhyuk.

He stopped whatever he was doing when he saw Eunji standing right outside. She immediately went into his room to check on him with L following right behind her.

"Oppa..." She looked at his injured leg. "I thought you were in a serious condition or something..." Her words came out as a relief as she saw him eating away happily.

Hoya scratched the back of his head, embarrassed. "I kind of fell down a couple of steps and this happened." He pointed to his cast.

"A couple? It was an entire flight! Howon-sshi, you really have to be more careful or I will have to follow you around twenty-four seven." Minhyuk said in a worried tone. He was genuinely worried about Hoya being so careless at times and wished he was there to prevent him from falling.

"Hyung, you need to relax." Hoya laughed. "You have been so uptight ever since I came back. You need to relax."

"I didn't save you just to watch you almost lose your life again." Minhyuk muttered. He was really worried about Hoya as though Hoya was his own child.

"I know hyung, and I am ever so grateful for it." Hoya gave Minhyuk a grateful smile.

L came up to his hyung and just stared at him. "Hyung, care to explain how this happened?" He pointed to the cast.

"I was just distracted and—Eunji!" Hoya straightened up when he saw Eunji crying. Eunji wasn't just crying; she was smiling as well because Hoya was safe. Hoya reached out an arm and Eunji reached hers out to hold onto him.

"Why-why are you crying?" Hoya was flustered by her sudden outburst. This wasn't suppose happen. He hadn't mean to make her cry.

"Why are you so clumsy?" She breathed out as she wiped away her tears. Eunji was laughing and crying at the same time. Her worries finally settled and she felt a hundred times more relieved than when she first heard that he was admitted to the hospital.

Hoya let out a chuckle, showing his perfect white canines and ruffled her hair. "Silly girl, I'm fine. Don't cry anymore okay? Please? You know how I feel about you crying." He reached out to help her wipe away her tears. Eunji nodded and tried to compose herself.

L stared at the two and realized how perfect they are together. That pain in his heart, right there, he felt it again but there was something else he felt. Relieved. Why relieved? He had no idea but he felt his heart relaxed, just like when he felt when he's relieved.

L continued to keep his gaze on the two who were still being cosy with each other when a sudden thought came to his mind. What if… what he if decides to let Eunji go? Will it make himself feel better? She's happy with Hoya, anybody could tell that. What if he's letting go? For the first time, L didn't push away that thought.

"Promise me you won't do something so stupid again." Eunji held out a pinky and choked back a sob.

"I promise." Hoya smiled sweetly and their pinkies met, causing Eunji to grin.

L and Eunji then went out to get a drink and also to give Hoya some time to rest. He's had visitors ever since he was hospitalized and Minhyuk even had to get rid of reporters that went all the way to the hospital to interview him for whatever reasons.

"You've got to prepare yourself for this life now Howon-sshi." Minhyuk poured him a glass of water. "Your actions are now public and all the reporters out there are waiting for you to slip up so they can get a piece of good news."

Howon drank the water and nodded, understanding what his life had become.

"But hey, relax." Minhyuk smiled and addressed him like a friend more than a guard. "I'll be there to protect you."

Hoya smiled back and felt ever grateful for Minhyuk.

--

Eunji was putting the coins in the vending machine while deciding which drink should she get. "Oppa, do you want canned coffee or some other drink?" She asked. She waited for a reply but there was no reply. Turning back, she saw L staring blankly in space. "Oppa?"

L snapped out of his daze and looked at her.

"Which drink do you want?"

"Oh... Errrr... Coffee will do."

"Are you okay?" Eunji asked as she pressed for the coffee. Once the machine had dispensed the coffee, she bent down to pick it. Before she could turn back to hand L his canned coffee, she felt a pit of strong arms around her.

He rested his chin on her shoulders and breathed into her neck. His hands wrapped around her waist into a tight back hug. "Just give me a minute." He whispered into her neck.

Eunji could feel the hot air against her skin as L breathed out. She wanted to turn around to face him but his strong grip had left her with no space to turn.

"You'll be happy with hyung right?" L whispered while keeping his hands firmly on her waist. "Promise me you'll be happy?"

"Oppa..." Eunji let out a whisper. "We're not together."

"Talk to him. It's obvious you two still care for each other, you can start by talking to him."

L slowly released his grip and turned Eunji around. Eunji got a shock when she saw his face. His eyes were red and tears were threatening to fall out.

"Eunji, you are the best thing that's ever happened to me. I wouldn't imagine a life without you. But I keep doing this and it's hurting myself more..."

Eunji felt immensely bad. If only he didn't fall in love with her, he may not have been in so much pain.

"I don't blame you. You can't force love." L continued, holding back his tears. "So I'm choosing to let you go. After all these years of loving you, I'm going to let you go. It's not going to be easy but I'm pretty sure if you're happy, I will be happy too. Promise me you'll talk to hyung, alright? Promise me you'll be very very happy with him and that I made the right decision in letting you go. Hyung may be clumsy at times and he doesn't know how to express himself well, so be patient with him. Love him with all you've got."

Eunji didn't know what to say but she felt the tears in her eyes as well. L has never been a step away from her side and she is ever grateful, but he is right. Love cannot be forced. Sometimes she hated herself for holding onto someone who is so far away when L is just by her side, doing everything he can for her. It makes her look like a despicable person but if she forces herself to love L, she would have dishonoured his love. It would not have been fair to him.

"I promise you and I wish you happiness oppa." Eunji said as her voice cracks.

"Your happiness will be mine." L said and he pulled Eunji closer to him. "One last time okay?" L leaned down and gave her a long kiss on the forehead. He didn't leave after planting a kiss but he stayed there.

Eunji then felt something wet down her cheeks. It wasn't her own tears even though she was on the verge of crying. It was L's tears that were flowing down.

After what seemed like minutes, L finally pulled away and managed out a small smile, showing his dimples. "Thank you for letting me love you all these years. Now go and do me proud."

Eunji looked at the man standing in front of her. The very same person who she grew up with. She's basically known him all her life but at this moment, he looked different. "Thank you for everything."

L gave a small nod and turned to walk away from the one person he has ever loved. As he turned, his face changed. Those tears that he's been holding it in just came out and he lost the smile on his face. Something different this time was that the pain in his chest wasn't suffocating anymore but it was there alright. It was just less intense than before. He took a deep breath and breathed out, as though that breath will let out all the pain in his chest. And it did.

--

Eunji stood outside Hoya's ward and saw him chatting happily with Minhyuk. L was right; she had to make things up with Hoya. L had been in so much pain because of her and if seeing her happy will make him happy, she needs to do it. She promised him.

Knocking on the door, she broke their conversation as she entered.

"Where's L?" Hoya asked happily.

At the mention of L, Eunji's eyes began to tear up again but she held it in. "He left first."

There was silence as Hoya didn't know what else to say but an "oh".

"I need to talk to you oppa, privately." She glanced at Minhyuk who was standing at the other side of his hospital bed.

"Okay, I get it. I'll leave you two to talk." Minhyuk held his hands up, surrendering and he gave them a smirk. Somehow, he had a clue as to what conversation they were going to have in there.

After Minhyuk left the room, the two were finally alone and Eunji was trying to gather her thoughts.

"Oppa, I've thought about it." She paused, trying to breathe. "What we had back then… it was amazing and I really treasure those times and I believe what we had was really something. Something I don't want to lose and…" She couldn't continue her sentence because she felt her breathing hasten and her heart beating very quickly.

Hoya just stared at her, not knowing even how to help her complete her sentences but all he know was that she looked so freaking cute when she's fumbling, looking for the right words.

"I just… I just can't forget about you." She let it out and then she felt herself blushing. "I still love you." Eunji managed out the last sentence as she stared at Hoya, breathless. He still had that effect on her.

Hoya gave her a blank look and she was getting more anxious about his reply. He can't possible forget what they had previously can he? What if he really met someone new in America and he lost interest in her? What if L was wrong?

Hoya then smiled, "I know."

Eunji felt the weight of her shoulders lighten and she felt lighter than ever. Her heart beat never slowed down but she was more relieved.

"And so do I." Hoya continued. "Come here." He moved to a side of his bed and motioned for Eunji to come lay next to him. "Just be careful about the leg." He warned.

Eunji chuckled cutely and went to lie down next to him. He put an arm around her and pulled her close to him. That familiar scent of her hair. The way she fitted perfectly into his arms. He missed everything about her.

"I know we said to start as friends all over again but I can't lose you." Hoya admitted. "What if someone swoops you away before we even got back together? I really can't afford to lose you. I don't know what would I do without you."

Eunji smiled against his chest. She missed his warmth, the way he smelt, everything about him in general.

"So Song Eunji," Hoya tilted Eunji's chin to look at him. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

Eunji's face had the biggest smile on and she nodded happily. "I will."

"I love you." Hoya whispered out and he closed the gap between them. Those sweet lips that he missed so much. He pressed himself closer to Eunji and he could feel her pressing herself closer as well. He could sense Eunji running out of breath as their lips never parted. Hoya broke away just to let them breath but he captured her lips once more in ecstasy.

Being slightly playful, Hoya bit onto Eunji's lips causing her to gasp when he slid his tongue in her cavern, exploring it to his content. Their tongues intertwined and both were fighting for dominance when suddenly Hoya winced. The both of them broke apart and Eunji became weary of her actions, afraid that she may have hurt him.

"I accidentally moved my leg." Hoya confessed sheepishly and Eunji laughed. The two then stayed in that position until they both fell asleep in each other's arms.

Minhyuk was looking from the outside and he saw Hoya offering his bed space to her. *I knew you guys would get back together. It was just a matter of time.* He smiled to himself and immediately looked away when he saw the both of them lip locking. Just like how Hoya has always been nagging at him to find a girlfriend of his own, maybe it was time that he find his own happiness instead.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Second last chapter of this story and I guess there wasn't so much of a plot twist as to who she'll end up with! I was actually struggling very long deciding between the two but I figured that Hoya would be the best becuase she already has such a strong bond with him and the things Eunji had to go through because of him, so I guess it just ended up this way! Sorry to all L supporters but yay to all Hoya supporters!!! However, this isn't the end yet because there is still one more chapter to go and I would love it if you guys will stick with me till the very end! Thank you for the continuous support on this long journey for such a loooong story and also the soon to be completion of my first ever fanfic! Love y'all loads. ^^