Chapter 23

Protecting The One

Hoya has always wanted to be a dancer. He was so skilled in dancing that when he was only eight, the dance teacher had given him a solo stage in dance school during one of their recitals. Yes, the Kims sent him to a dance school because they found out about his love for dancing since young. It was only until he started high school that he decided to quit because he wanted to focus on his studies. He wanted to get a good job to repay his parents but being a dancer wasn’t that much of a great future. Unless he were to score a really good deal but he felt that he had to do what he had to do. Not to make his parents worry about his future is one of them. Even so, that does not mean he gave up dancing. He still loves it, as much as he did, when he was a little kid. Hoya was sensible that way, but he had never thought that one day he’d be facing with a huge company. A company that he is an heir to.

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Kim bought him a suit upon hearing the news. It was a social event for the biggest corporations in Korea and Hoya has to be dressed well in order to attend. Mrs Kim was fixing his tie for him whereas L and Eunji were waiting downstairs anxiously. One could just see how nervous Eunji was. She hoped that everything would go well tonight and Hoya would be accepted gracefully into their corporate world. Sending her nervousness, L reached out to hold her hand, assuring her that things will be okay. Everything will go smoothly tonight at the social event.

 

“Aigoo, look at our dear Howon, looking dashing as usual.” Mrs Kim finished fixing his tie and started fixing his suit. Her words and hands were shaky and Hoya could tell that she was upset and worried at the same time. He took her hands to steady them and wiped a tear that escaped her eye.

 

“Omma, it’s just an announcement. I’ll come back safely.” Hoya assured his omma. He too, wanted to believe his own words because he had no idea how things are going to turn out as well.

 

Mrs Kim sniffed and continued her actions. “I know, I’m just worried about the reaction. The whole of Korea is going to know you by tomorrow. How am I going to let you face this pressure alone?”

 

Smiling, Hoya reached for her hands again, giving them a reassuring squeeze. “Omma, this will always be my home. As long as I’m home, I’m safe.” Mrs Kim hugged him tightly, still sobbing away.

 

When Hoya came down, Eunji and L immediately stood up. Eunji’s actions were so fast that she almost lost her footing, leading L to reach out and steady her before she fell over. “Eunji-ah, be more careful. How can one be so clumsy?” Hoya ruffled her hair, causing her to smile even wider despite the situation. “Oppa is going to be famous overnight, so don’t stay up and wait for me okay? Rest early and I’ll see you tomorrow.” He joked lightly and gave Eunji a kiss on the forehead before heading towards the door where Minhyuk was waiting with his car.

 

“Oh, Myungsoo!”

 

“Neh?”

 

Hoya gave his usual bright toothy smile, “take care of her for me.” And he disappeared behind the doors. Eunji slumped into the couch with a pout.

 

“How can oppa be so calm?” When the fact that she was worried sick about how the night will turn out.

 

“Hyung just doesn’t want you to worry.”

 

--

 

“Howon-sshi, I will first bring you to Mr Lee and he will begin formal introductions for you.” Minhuk bowed formally and began leading the way. This place was way too classy for Hoya. He has never seen such a high-class function in his entire life. Champagne was served and the refreshments section was filled with food that he’s never even heard before. He made a mental note that Sungyeol would like to try some of these dishes someday.

 

He was following Minhyuk, maneuvering through the crowd when he was being stopped by a familiar voice. “Hoya?” The girl let down her glass of champagne and she stared at him, wide eyed. “What are you doing here?”

 

Hoya was stunned, he knew why he was here but the others didn’t and how could he say that with his own mouth? “Oh Hyeri… I—“

 

“This way Howon-sshi.” Minhyuk Immediately pulled him away before he could answer Hyeri and that saved him. She was left flabbergasted. What was Hoya doing here at a corporate event? She was there because of her father but she didn’t know Hoya’s parents were involved as well? Feeling strange, she ignored the feeling and continued to mingle with the guests and other chaebols.

 

Before Hoya could even reach Mr Lee, he was being stopped once again by another person. This time, Minhyuk couldn’t even save him because Mrs Lee wanted to have a word with him. Confused, he followed Mrs Lee to a corner with Minhyuk following them from a distance. Mrs Lee had that strong presence that worried Hoya. His palms were sweating as he was anticipating what Mrs Lee would say next.

 

--

 

Back at home, L and Eunji were waiting for Hoya to return. Or more like Eunji was waiting for Hoya to return and L was accompanying her. L was lying down on the couch reading a magazine whereas Eunji was just flipping the channels. She couldn’t bring herself to think about how the party will turn out so she’s just trying to distract herself from reality. However, it does not seem to be working well.

 

Eunji sat up with propped knees and rested her chin on her knees. Sensing her troubles, L reached out and grabbed the remote control from her. He wrapped his hands around hers and began to sit up. There were no words exchanged between the two friends, only a sense of reassurance.

 

After sitting in the same position for about half an hour, Eunji was the one to break the silence. “Oppa, do you think everything will go smoothly tonight?”

 

Honestly, L didn’t know as well. He was just as worried for Hoya. This huge revelation could change Hoya’s life and flip it upside down. But how could he tell Eunji that? She was already so worried and he couldn’t bring himself to cause her to worry even more. Right now, his heart aches for the girl he loves so deeply.

 

“Come here, your hands are cold.” L snuggled closer to Eunji and he put an arm around her, while the other was holding onto her hand, trying to keep her warm. While focusing on the tv, he heard a silent sob. Eunji was crying and there was nothing he could do. L closed his eyes and held her closer, hoping that for now, his embrace would be the only sanctuary for his loved one.

 

Midnight passed and Hoya still wasn’t back. Despite that, L and Eunji were sitting in the living room waiting for him to come home. Both of them fell asleep next to each other even though Eunji was fighting hard to stay awake. She wanted to wait for him to return, to comfort him if there was a need. She just wanted to be next to him when he returns.

 

As if on cue, the door opened and the two were jolted awake by the noise. Shocked by the fact that Eunji and L were actually waiting for him to return, he hurriedly went to Eunji’s side. “Pabo, you guys shouldn’t have waited.” He pushed Eunji’s hair out of her face and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

 

“We’re worried,” L said sleepily.

 

Hoya gave a small smile, touched by their actions. “I know. I’m fine and it’s over. Go to bed, it’s getting late and there’s school tomorrow.”

 

Hoya got up and was heading to his room to his room when Eunji grabbed his arm. With tears in her eyes, she cautiously asked, “how… how did it go?”

 

Even though Hoya was way beyond tired, he still managed a smile. “Let’s talk tomorrow, I’m tired.” He pulled Eunji up and led her to his room. “Sleep here tonight Eunji, I’ll sleep in L’s room.”

 

L lay down on his side facing Hoya, who was lying down on a mattress on the floor. Hoya was already drifting off to dreamland when L popped a question. “Hyung, is everything okay?”

 

Hoya opened his eyes and took a deep breath. He recalled the events of the night, how he was introduced to many top entrepreneurs in the country as well as the bosses of big corporations. The highlight of the night that took everyone’s attention was when Mr Lee introduced him. Mr Lee gave a speech addressing the rumours of his ‘illegitimate son’. When the truth was uncovered, there was a lot of buzz going on in the room. Hoya stood at a corner and everything began to turn blur. He could only remember that Mr Lee led him to the center of the stage where he was formally introduced as part of the Lee family, as well as the future heir to the company. There were gasps everywhere but all he heard was this screeching sound in his ear and he couldn’t hear anything else. His mind went blank and he could only focus on his surroundings when he was led off stage.

 

Minhyuk was giving him a smile as he escorted him to a corner despite all the attention on him. “Congratulations Howon-sshi.” Hoya didn’t know how to respond to that so he just returned a nod. Mr Lee came off stage as well and was mentioning something along the lines of wanting to groom him, making up for lost time etcetera but Hoya wasn’t paying attention. At that instant, he felt everybody’s eyes on him, even though he’s at the corner of the big hall. Mr Lee was happily downing a glass of champagne and from the corner of his eye, he saw Mrs Lee glancing his way.

 

He straightened himself, remembering Mrs Lee’s words and he suddenly felt fear. Mrs Lee’s presence was that intimidating. Next to Mrs Lee was as equally shocked Hyeri, who now happened to be his half-sister. Raising her champagne up as though she was toasting to him, Mrs Lee looked straight into Hoya’s eyes, giving him a small smile.

 

That smile, whatever hidden meaning it had behind it, was a mystery to Hoya. At the back of his mind, all he could think of was to be weary of that woman.

 

When he left the place, there were already reporters waiting outside trying to interview him. White flash was everywhere, blinding his sight but he was glad that Minhyuk was there to handle the situation. Seems like Minhyuk is already very used to it, working for Mr Lee, and having to deal with such situations from time to time. In the car where Hoya was once safe again, he heaved a sigh of relief to be freed from the reporters. However, they have probably taken tons of photos that were set to appear in the headlines tomorrow morning.

 

“Howon-sshi?” Minhyuk looked in the mirror, gaining eye contact with Hoya. “I hope you don’t find me rude for saying this but, I feel like I have to.”

 

“Hyung, you can speak to me comfortably. There’s no need to be so formal. What is it?”

 

“Mrs Lee…” Minhyuk tightened his grip on the steering wheel, “please be careful of her.”

 

“Hyung, what do you mean?”

 

“Just…” Minhyuk breathed deeply, “be careful.”

 

Hoya his side to face L. even though he was lying on the floor, he could see the faint outline of his dongsaeng as the moonlight seeps through the windows. “I don’t know anymore.” He said, in reply to L’s question earlier. With that, the two brothers went into dreamland, bracing for a better tomorrow, with even greater challenges ahead.

 

 


TGIF everyone!!!!! I hope this chapter was to your liking hehehe! Well, as I said, there's more to come. Ever heard of the calm before the storm? Hahaha well, I just hope everyone had a good week and are welcoming the weekends like I am (though I'm not looking forward to next week but it's okay we all gotta live sigh) Leave me some comments on what you think!! Have I mentioned that I love comments and suscribers hahaha and no, I don't get sick of saying it hehehe. 

On a sidenote, I'm going to see Infintie live!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG JUST THE THOUGHT OF EVER SEEING SUNGGYU MAKES ME WANNA FAINT. (yes despite his small role here and there in this story, he is my ultimate bias. Because how can you not love Kim freaking Sunggyu???) And yeah, have a nice weekend everybody!