Chapter 43

Protecting The One

High school was starting and Eunji was going to be a senior this year. Without her best friends around, she wondered how she would survive since she had always been around the guys and she didn’t really have any other friends in school. But, that was the least of her worries.

 

University, on the other hand, still had some time before the lessons officially start. With the infinite members all receiving their letter of acceptance, it was slightly sad that they were all going to be separated.

 

“I don’t care, we’re still having weekly meet-ups and gatherings. We have to get new games for the gaming console though, don’t you guys think so?” Sungyeol scratched his head; thinking of what new games could there be for them to play.

 

“Yah, we’re going to be in university soon and you’re still thinking about games? That’s so childish.” Sungjong scoffed at Sungyeol.

 

“Yah Lee Sungjong!” Sungyeol shouted back, almost starting a fight in the ice cream café that L and Eunji worked at. The others had taken the day off and gathered here waiting for L and Eunji to end their shift before they went out. It’s been awhile since they have all went outside and not hanging out in L’s cozy living room.

 

Once the two had finally ended their shift, the group then went to watch a movie, something they haven’t done in awhile. The atmosphere was slightly different not only because of Hoya’s absence, but also because the guys have slightly matured. Leaving high school and finally, they are about to enter university; the boys have seemed a little more like men.

 

“Oh my gosh, did you guys see that fancy gun work?! Like how is that even possible?!” Sungyeol tried mimicking one of the action scenes from the movie they just caught and started posing childishly. Well, maybe all but Sungyeol has matured.

 

“Oppas, so have you guys accepted the university offers?” Eunji asked, changing the topic.

 

Sungyeol kicked the leaves at the side of the road, not wanting to answer the question. He was torn between choosing something he likes and what his parents wants him to do. The others, on the other hand, had decided on what they wanted to study and accepted the offers as well.

 

“What will you do in high school without us, Eunji?” Sunggyu casually brought up the question. He was slightly worried because she didn’t really have any other close friends and now that school is starting, she’ll be all alone and it will seem like first year all over again. Eunji gave a shy smile and replied, “oppa, I’ll make other friends. Don’t make it sound like I’m some loser.”

 

L then came over and put his hand over her shoulder, “but we’re still going to your best friends right?”

 

Eunji looked at him and gave him a slight pinch on the cheek, “that’s right.” And they all laughed, including Eunji. For awhile, just for awhile, she managed to get her mind off Hoya. She had forgotten about her heartbreak and how she wished this moment with her friends could last forever.

 

--

 

As they parted ways for the night, L sent Eunji all the way to her doorstep. He wouldn’t leave her until he saw her enter the house safely. “You sure you’ll be okay alone? Do you need me to accompany you? I can always bring a blanket over and sleep on the couch, I—“

 

“Oppa, you’re rambling again.” Eunji interrupted L before he could go on and on like a train.

 

“Oh, am I?” L smiled shyly as his hand went up to scratch the side of his head.

 

“I’ll be fine alone, stop worrying. Go back and have some rest okay?” Eunji turned L around and gestured for him to head back home next door. She even gave him a smile, signaling that she’ll be fine and he doesn’t have to worry. Reluctantly, L finally left but not before a second round of nagging at her, making sure that she takes care of herself before heading back.

 

When Eunji finally made it into her own home, she closed the door behind her and let out a sigh. Reality started sinking in once again. In this big house, she’s all alone, coping with the heartbreak her ex-boyfriend gave her. She went up to her own room and sat down at her desk. Staring at the ring Hoya had given her during Christmas last year, it was a gift she treasured so much that she hardly wore it because she didn’t want it to have any marks.

 

Truth is, she’s still not over Hoya yet. Getting over someone is never an easy thing. When she heard the conversation between the young kid and his mother the other day at the playground, she thought that she would be okay if she picked herself up but it was also hard for her to keep a smile on her face when all she wants to do is just to cry.

 

Eunji didn’t want L or the others to see her beating herself up anymore. She knew it was painful for them to watch and so she tried. She tried so hard but times like this when she’s alone again, those memories came back to her in an instant and the pain returns. Holding back the tears as she fiddled with the ring, she willed herself not to cry. Taking out a silver chain, she threaded the ring through it and wore it on her neck before she went to shower.

 

After she was done, Eunji dried her hair with the towel and she checked her phone for any messages. Unknowingly, she reached out for a slip of paper that sat on her table for the past few days.

 

On it, was Hoya’s American contact number. L had written it down for her, in case she wanted to contact him or anything.

 

*Flashback*

 

“Here’s hyung’s number. I’m sure he’ll be happy if you called.” L handed Eunji a small slip of paper.

 

“Why would he be happy? He didn’t even try to contact me. He probably doesn’t want anything to do with me anymore.” Eunji said, disappointed. “Besides, here I am trying to get over him, I don’t need this.” She handed back the slip of paper to L.

 

L stared at Hoya’s number on the paper before he took Eunji’s hand and handed it to her once again. “Just keep it. In case.”

 

*End of flashback*

 

While Eunji stared at the paper, the doorbell had rang and she went to open the door only to see a certain handsome someone standing in front of her.

 

“Omma said to bring these over so you can have them for breakfast tomorrow.” L held up a bag of boxes containing side dishes that Mrs Kim had made for Eunji. He glanced at her with a smiling face but his smile faded when he saw the ring that she was wearing. It was Hoya’s ring. His heart dropped and he noticed the piece of paper she was holding. It was Hoya’s number, the one he had given her. “I’ll keep these in the fridge.” L walked past her without saying anything else and made a beeline for the fridge. His chest began to tighten once again and he felt something rising at the back of his throat. The pain was back. Technically, it never left.

 

Eunji followed after L as he headed to the kitchen. Without facing her, he let out a small sigh. “You should call him.”

 

“Neh?”

 

L shut the fridge and turned to face Eunji. “I know you want to. You should do it. He still cares about you. It doesn’t matter if you still love him, you should call him. Even as a friend. It’s almost midnight now so it’ll be day time over there.” It pained him to say this because he knew that the two lovers were not going to let each other go so easily. Hoya still cares about Eunji, the breakup was a mistake and L still couldn’t fathom why Hoya did it. Eunji too, was never okay with the breakup. She was obviously still in love with him and it just pains L to see both the closest people to him hurting this way. Even though, he’s the one who’s going to end up hurting the most.

 

“You think… you think he’ll pick up?”

 

L sighed once more, biting his lip, preventing himself from feeling the pain in his chest. “He will. Trust me.”

 

Eunji let out a smile, “oppa, gomawo.”

 

L nodded and left immediately. He didn’t think he could take anymore of this pain in his chest. It was suffocating him. He closed his eyes tightly as he lay down on his bed, willing himself not to cry. *You just got to keep trying Kim Myungsoo. You just keep trying.*

 

Eunji paced back and forth as she typed the number on her phone, only to delete it again and retype it. Finally, she held her breath as she used the last bit of her courage and pressed the call button. She had called him.

 

Her heart raced and she listened to the sound of the dial tone. Somehow she was praying that Hoya would pick up but at the same time, she’s panicking about what to say when he picks up, so she’s also hoping for him not to pick up. It was a dilemma as the phone kept ringing.

 

The ringing lasted for quite some time and Eunji was about to give up hope. *He’s not going to pick up.* With the last dial tone, there was a voice at the other end.

 

“Hello?”

 

Eunji gasped and cupped to prevent herself from making any noise.

 

He had picked up.

 

“Hello? Is there anybody there?”

 

She bit on her own tongue, not knowing what to say. Unfortunately, she bit her tongue a little too hard and it hurt, causing her to let out a groan.

 

“Who’s there?” The voice on the other line said.

 

Eunji took a deep breath, it was now or never. “Oppa…” 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Update update!!! Since I had some free time today, I decided to update the story hehehehe I hope this chapter wasn't too short or anything because it is slightly shorter than most chapters... Anyways, so Eunji finally plucked up the courage to call Hoya and who knows what's going to happen next???????? All you need to do is to stay tuned for the next chapter hahahaha (it sounds like a tv drama yknow, stay tuned..) 

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend and thank you all again for the love and support!!! You know I love you too!!! *Throws hearts like greasy Namu* *Winks like Lee Sungjong* *Gives you a kiss like Kim Sunggyu* hehehehe