Chapter 15

Protecting The One

“Oppa mianhe” Eunji muttered softly. “I should’ve listened to you and never accept her challenge in the first place.”

 

Hoya remained silent.

 

“Oppa,” she poked his arm and gave a slight pout. “I’m… I’m really sorry. If I listened to you, I wouldn’t have injured my ankle.”

 

Hoya looked at her beautiful face and he gave up. How can he stay angry if she gave him that look? That innocent look, it made her even more irresistible. “Look, Eunji, do you know how worried I was when you were nowhere in sight? I was so afraid that something might have happened and I wasn’t there to protect you.” Eunji looked down in shame. “I promise, I won’t do it again oppa.”

 

“I’m just angry at myself that I couldn’t protect you this time.” His took her in his embrace and kissed her forehead, feeling the guilt in him.

 

L overheard their conversation and deep inside, he felt guilty as well. He felt bad for not being able to keep her safe like he promised himself. *Eunji-ah, sorry I couldn’t protect you this time either.*

 

Sungyeol had called the doctor, who came afterwards to treat Eunji’s injured ankle. Fortunately, it was only a sprained ankle and not some fracture. Eunji was given clutches since she couldn’t move well in her newly wrapped up ankle. Mr and Mrs Kim heard the news and immediately went back to the resort to take a look at Eunji. Ever since Song Jimin passed away, the Kims felt that it became their responsibility to take care of her daughter, as they were once best friends.

 

“Please be more careful in the future. Howon-ah, Myungsoo-ah, do look after Eunji.” Mrs Kim nagged at her sons.

 

“Omma, we did try to stop her but this stubborn girl wouldn’t listen.” Hoya complained.

 

“Oppa! Why are you being such a tattletale!” She smacked his arm before giving Mrs Kim a hug. “I promise I will take good care of myself so don’t you worry.”

 

“Like I believe you.” L added, “this time, I will personally make sure she doesn’t do anything stupid.” Earning a glare from Eunji. Dongwoo laughed at the heartwarming family interaction and the others joined in as well.

 

All the families soon gathered for dinner and they were discussing about their plans tomorrow. Why? Because the next day is Christmas and the one who was super excited and couldn’t stop talking about Christmas at the table was none other than Nam Woohyun.

 

“I swear if the secret Santa this year is ruined, I’m not participating next year! My present is really great this year!” He complained with his mouth full of rice. “Aigoo, chew on your food before you speak.” Mrs Nam teased.

 

It was true that for a few years their secret Santa was ruined. Either someone let the cat out of the bag or they conveniently forgot whom the present was for. I mean, who forgets this kind of stuff?! Apparently, the infinite members.

 

“Yeah man, this year’s secret Santa’s gift is daebak. You all will be wishing I was your secret Santa.” Sungyeol gave Woohyun a high five across the table, blocking Sunggyu from trying to take his food. “Aish! Let me eat in peace you two!”

 

“Grumpy gyu is here again.” Eunji sang and the whole table laghed. It was always harmonious to spend time with their families and even though Eunji is considered as an orphan now, she felt warm seeing the people she loved by her side. As though her mom was here as well, she looked forward to spending Christmas with her loved ones.

 

It was getting late and everyone was back in their own rooms getting ready to sleep. However, there was a knock on Eunji’s door. “Oh, come in.”

 

The door opened and in came L who was looking very shy and awkward. He kept scratching his head as he walked into her room and he didn’t know how to start a conversation.

 

“It’s late already, what are you doing here L oppa?” Eunji broke the silence. L scratched his head once more. “Erm… erm… I know it’s not Christmas yet… there’s still a few minutes left.” He looked down on the floor, pretending to kick some dirt away before holding out a small baby blue box. “Merry Christmas Eunji.”

 

“Ommo! Oppa! I’ve got a gift for you too!”

 

“You… you do?” L was shocked, he never thought of receiving anything from her. It would be okay even if he were the only one giving because he doesn’t expect anything else but her company.

 

“Of course! You’re my best friend and I have to get my best friend something isn’t it?” She went into her bag to reach for a nicely wrapped present before handling it to L.

 

“Does this mean you’re not my secret Santa?” L shook the box in his hands.

 

“Maaaaaaybe? Who knows, maybe you’ll receive a double present?” Eunji examined the baby blue box. It looks like it contained some sort of jewelry but not so expensive to that extent. “Can I open it?”

 

L led her to her bed and they sat down together. “Let’s open it together.” Eunji nodded eagerly because she was curious about L’s present. She opened the box and L carefully tore off the wrapper. Inside, it was a simple ring that was not too flashy. Instead, it was just a simple silver ring. Eunji gasped at the present.

 

At the same time, L opened his present and inside, it was a watch that he had been eyeing since it was first released.

 

“Oppa! You shouldn’t have!”

 

“You too!”

 

“It must’ve cost quite a bit!”

 

“Speak for yourself.”

 

And they laughed. They laughed at each other for spending quite a sum on their presents but they each love their presents.

 

L’s gaze softened at Eunji’s face in the dimly lit room. She looked so beautiful that he just wanted to take her in his arms and cuddle all night long but he had to restrain himself. That was his hyung’s girlfriend for goodness sake. “I’m glad you like it.”

 

“Who are you kidding oppa, I love it! How did you know I wanted a ring?”

 

*Of course I knew. You mentioned it during your freshmen year that you wanted a ring to feel like a real grown woman. How could I forget that? How could I forget anything you ever mentioned?* L thought.

 

“And how did you know I liked this watch?”

 

Eunji laughed before replying, “oppa, you begged your parents everyday for it when it first came out during your junior year, how could I forget?”

 

*She remembers* L smiled shyly. “Oh, right.” He scratched his head yet again, something he did when he was feeling embarrassed. Trying to change the topic of his embarrassing moment, he looked at his new present and saw that the clock just twelve. Outside the window, they can see fireworks in a distance and people were celebrating Christmas.

 

L turned towards Eunji and wished her in a low voice. “Merry Christmas, Song Eunji.”

 

“Merry Christmas, Kim Myungsoo.” She replied with a dazzling smile. L melted at her use of his real name, something she hardly used since L was a nickname given by her and she has used it ever since.

 

Soon, it was getting late and L had to return to his room. Eunji walked him to her door and hugged him right before he stepped out. He breathed in her lavender scent that was so sweet and nice smelling, something he really loved.

 

“Gomawo L oppa.” She muttered in his neck. He hugged her tighter and he felt like he never want to let her go but he did in the end, exiting her room and saying goodnight.

 

Hoya was just about to go to Eunji’s room when he saw L coming out of her room. He didn’t know why but he decided to return to his own room instead of going over, not wanting to bother Eunji this late anymore. Hoya was slightly disturbed by the fact that L was the first to wish her Merry Christmas. It was obvious he was the first since it was just past midnight and he was the one coming out from her room. *L is my brother, he would never do anything like that to me. Besides, they are good friends.* Hoya pushed the thought to the back of his head before L got back to their room.

 

Returning to his room, L was shocked to see Hoya still awake and he quickly hid his present behind his back.

 

“Merry Christmas Myungsoo. Where did you go?” Hoya asked innocently, even though he knew where.

 

“Oh… Erm… Nowhere. I just went to the balcony to get some fresh air and look at the fireworks. Merry Christmas to you too hyung. Let’s go to sleep!” L felt bad after lying to Hoya but how could he let Hoya know that he just went to Eunji’s room? L laid on his bed and his mind wandered back to the friendly hug just now with Eunji. *Maybe to her it means nothing, but to me, it means the world. Thank you so much Eunji, for the present.*

 

Hoya lay back on his bed as the scene of L leaving Eunji’s room replayed in his head. He tried to push it away again because he trust L. L is his best friend, his brother, his family. Surely he wouldn’t have something going on with Eunji besides them being friends, or is he wrong? 

 

 

 

 

 


More of a L centred chapter here!!! Hopefully you'll be a little happier if you are a L supporter hahahahaha

Sorry I took so long to update :( school is really draining and getting more hectic so I'll try my best to update more on the weekends. Do leave a comment below and suscribe to the story! It would mean so much to me.

 

So, is it team L or team Hoya????????????? Lemme know!