Chapter 14

Protecting The One

It was Christmas Eve and the entire gang couldn’t wait to have fun in the snow and sing Christmas carols together. Well, at least one of them is.

 

“Woohyun, I’m begging you, please stop singing!” Sunggyu walked out of the room with a grumpy face because he did not get much sleep last night. Woohyun kept singing and talking and being all excited about Christmas and all Sunggyu wants is to just have a good night’s rest. Was that too much to ask for?

 

“It’s Christmas Eve my friends, Christmas Eve!” Woohyun was wearing a reindeer headband and skipped out of his room with excitement. Sunggyu face palmed himself as he sat down at the dining area, obviously giving up on the excited little kid.

 

“Woohyun oppa, ignore the grumpy grandpa, you can keep singing and have breakfast.” Eunji placed the plates on the table as the others came out of the room. The room service delivered breakfast early in the morning and only Eunji was awake to open the door for them.

 

L and Hoya came out of the room with their hair in a mess. Eunji’s heart skipped a beat because he looked absolutely handsome in his bed hair, something she hardly sees because he’s always up and ready for school before her. She gave L a smile but not before moving into her boyfriend’s arms. “Good morning.” Hoya said and gave her a peck on her forehead.

 

“Stop being so cheesy will you. It’s early in the morning.” Sungyeol whined as he walked out with Dongwoo and Sungjong. The three looked like they hardly slept.

 

“What’s with all the eye bags guys?” Sunggyu looked up.

 

Dongwoo gave a groan and slumped in his seat. “It was Sungyeol’s fantastic idea to play video games and nobody could stop unless they’ve won the last game.”

 

“Hence, we only gave up and went to bed at four in the morning.” Sungjong added in. Sungyeol rubbed the back of his neck and gave an awkward smile. “Let’s eat and head to the skiing ground, how does that sound?” He tried to change the topic, which worked well in his way.

 

“Call!” The rest cried out. Everyone was excited for skiing. I mean who isn’t? As usual, their mealtime was filled with quarrels, fighting over food, nagging and even more quarrels. That’s just how the group communicated. When they were finally down, the whole group headed to the skiing ground next to the resort.

 

After gearing up, the group was ready to ski. “Waaaaa! I cannot wait to go up to the highest peak and ski down!” Sungjong exclaimed.

 

Sunggyu looked up at the highest peak and felt a shiver down his back. “Oh, I think I’ll just go to that peak over there.” He pointed to the lower one, which was filled with kids playing.

 

“Hyung, quit being a whiner. Let’s go up the highest.” Hoya . He knew the leader would be afraid. Eunji skied next to Sunggyu and hit him in the forehead. “Stop being such a coward oppa, let’s go!” And she skied away. Hoya smiled and followed after her. L went to join them but not before giving Sunggyu a pat on his back, as though giving him some luck in order to survive the highest peak. Everyone else was on their way to go up the peak, leaving Sunggyu all alone. He stared at the group, bewildered. “Did… did they all just… leave me here?! Alone?!”

 

“Yah! Wait for me you all! I’m the leader! Show some respect, YAH!”

 

The group managed to conquer the peak a few times and had so much fun except for one person. Kim Sunggyu. He was the last to reach the base each time and couldn’t keep up with the rest. “Hyung, even Eunji could do it. Why are you so scared.” L chuckled.

 

“Yah how dare you laugh at your hyung. I’m just worried that there will be an accident or something! Aish!”

 

“Hyung is such a scaredy cat ~” Sungjong sang as he continued teasing Sunggyu. Eunji slapped L on the arm, “oppa, stop teasing Sunggyu oppa. He’s just being cautious.”

 

L smiled to himself and did a brave move that even he surprised himself. He put his arm around Eunji and led her towards the peak again. Eunji just followed his lead and waved goodbye to Sunggyu. Hoya then waved Sunggyu goodbye as well and went to join the both of them.

 

The rest laughed and followed L and Eunji. “Yah yah!” Sunggyu called out but he dragged his lazy up with them. Of course, he complained all the way. He’s not Kim Sunggyu if he doesn’t have any complains.

 

Once they reached the peak, they were ready to ski down together for the last time before heading back to the resort. “L oppa! Over here!” A sweet but irritating voice called out.

 

L knew who it was immediately and he stiffened. He muttered a curse under his breath for being so unlucky to have met her here. Of all places! They had to meet Hyeri and her twin friends at the skiing ground. “Fancy meeting you here.” Hyeri flicked her hair out of her face, showing her perfectly touched up face. She was trying so hard to get L’s attention but it does not seem to be working.

 

L gave a loud and audible sigh before turning to her, “what do you want again Hyeri? Can’t you leave us alone for like, a few days?” He just wanted to spend his winter vacation with his best friends without their presence.

 

“Oppa, why aren’t you happy to see me? You looked so happy just now with the others!” She went over to grab his arm but L shook it off, leaving Hyeri disappointed.

 

“I’m happy because they’re my friends and anyone who tries to hurt my friends,” he glanced at Eunji, “are my enemies.”

 

Hyeri shot Eunji a dirty look. She was boiling on the inside. It’s always because of Eunji that L disliked her so much. Sometimes she just wished she could make Eunji disappear once and for all so that L would look at her. But seeing how his attention is always focused on Eunji, it made her jealous to the core.

 

Sunggyu stepped up at this moment and placed a hand on L’s shoulders, hoping that would calm him down. “Come, let’s head back to the resort and not waste time on people like that.”

 

“Sunggyu oppa!” Yoojung pouted as she could only see her crush walk away with a disgusted look in his eyes. The entire group decided to head back before Hyeri could spoil their mood even more but just then, “Song Eunji!”

 

Everyone turned including Eunji, “I challenge you to a one on one ski battle.”

 

The competitiveness in Eunji rose, as she hated losing, especially not to her worst enemy. “Eunji, don’t.” Hoya grabbed her arm and tried to stop her. She rested her hand on his and gave him a reassuring smile. “Oppa, I’ll win this. Don’t worry.” And she went back to where Hyeri was before Hoya could protest even further.

 

“I definitely do not like the sound of this.” L gulped.

 

The rest of the infinite members plus the twins agreed to meet at the bottom where they will wait for the other two to ski down. First to cross the line drawn at the base wins the race.

 

“So, how does it feel like without the boys by your side? Don’t you feel a lot less weaker?” Hyeri taunted.

 

Eunji scoffed and ignored her comment. “I feel nothing but stronger.” The sight of Hyeri just irked her and she could never forget how she used her mother’s death as a joke to humiliate her in front of the whole school. For that, she needed to win this race. For her mother.

 

“If I win this race, you stay away from L oppa.”

 

Eunji was shocked to hear that. It was such a ridiculous statement that she couldn’t help but blew a raspberry. “Yah, who said anything about L oppa in the first place? Leave him out of this! It’s a fight between me and you.”

 

“Well, fine by me. I’ll show him who’s the better girl to be by his side.”

 

“I’m not even dating L oppa. Get your facts right.” Eunji got ready and she was boiling with anger. How dare Hyeri try to snatch her best friend away from her? L would never like her. Never.

 

“Three, two, one, go!” Hyeri counted and she took off without a glance at Eunji. “Hey! That’s not fair-“ Eunji took off just a step late as Hyeri had the upper hand of counting down. They didn’t even decide how it was going to be and Hyeri just acted on her own. Eunji was focused because this was one match that she could not lose. She crouched lower and tried to go faster but there was a maximum speed that she could go. She maneuvered through skillfully but Hyeri was still ahead of her. *Dammit*

 

“Why aren’t they down yet?” Sungjong asked worriedly. “They wouldn’t have gotten into a fight, would they?”

 

Hoya felt like his heart was in his mouth. He was so worried for Eunji that she might have gotten into some trouble and he was not there to protect her. L too, was just as worried.

 

“Oh! Someone’s coming!” Soojung pointed out. “Looks like it’s Hyeri!” Yoojung clapped her hands in excitement as their friend raced down the slope, emerging first.

 

They boys scoffed because it was just so unbelievable. The thought of Hyeri rubbing her victory in their faces just makes them want to puke. Behind Hyeri came Eunji. She was going as fast as she could but she couldn’t catch up to Hyeri since she had a head start.

 

Hyeri made it to the bottom of the slope first and she stopped right in front of L. She gave him a wink and a smirk, obviously proud of her own victory. L was so annoyed by her that he turned away, unable to face her.

 

Since Eunji was coming down pretty fast, she had no time to stop and while trying to stop, she actually slipped, causing her to fall to her side as she skidded to a halt. Eunji tumbled in the snow and let out an audible groan as she took the fall. Seeing what had happened, Hoya immediately ran over to his girlfriend’s side.

 

“Eunji! Are you okay?! Oh my gosh, was it a bad fall? Are you feeling alright?” Hoya was so uptight and he kept checking Eunji’s head to make sure she was free of any head injury. The rest ran over as well, including Hyeri and the twins. L rushed to Eunji’s side as well and tried to help her to stand. She let out another groan while trying to stand, “oppa, I think I’ve hurt my ankle.”

 

Before L could react, Hoya beat him to it. “Get on my back, I’ll get you back to the resort and get someone to check on your ankle.” He began removing her skiing gear and Eunji climbed onto his back. *That’s right, Hoya hyung is there for Eunji. Remember that Kim Myungsoo.*  L had to remind himself again and again of the fact.

 

Seeing how caring Hoya was towards Eunji, Soojung felt her heart broken into tiny pieces. “Hoya oppa…” Her voice faded into the distance as Hoya carried Eunji away. Sunggyu gave the three of them a threatening stare before he stomped off with the others trailing behind him.

 

L was just about to leave but was stopped by Hyeri. “I’ve won this match, L oppa.”

 

“So?” He turned his back towards the girl and continued walking.

 

“Why can’t you even look at me once the way you look at Eunji?” Hyeri shouted loud enough for him to hear. L stopped in his steps. Did Hyeri happen to find out about his true feelings? Did she somehow notice the way he stared at Eunji was different compared to the others?

 

“Just once, can’t you look at me as a friend?”

 

L’s heart dropped and he heaved a sigh of relief. She didn’t catch on.

 

“I’ve told you, I don’t make friends with those who try to harm my best friends.” With that, he walked off.  

 

 

 

 

 


Hey all!!!!! Sorry for taking so long to update. I guess I can only update over the weekends for now because school is getting busier and busier! :( I'll try my best though, sometimes squeeze in a chapter or two. 

Anyways, isn't Sunggyu just the cutest gramps ever hahahaha I love that old grandpa so much, I'm not even kidding. And awwww poor L... 

But that's just how the story goes hehehe! Do leave me a comment on what you think! Is it good? Is it bad? (I hope not) And do suscribe!