Chapter 36

Protecting The One

Hoya paced back and forth in the living room. One and a half more months to finals. Which means there’s only one and a half more months to tell Eunji he’s going to America. Oh, she’ll definitely love this piece of news. Seeing how she’s so stressed up about her finals and how he has to worry about the university entrance as well, he figured this is not the best time to tell her. *But I promised her that I will tell her everything. What to do Lee Howon, what to do?* He continued walking until someone complained.

 

“Yah! Lee Howon! If you’re going to keep walking like that, I’m going to have to ask you to leave! I’m trying to concentrate here!” Sungyeol complained. He was the most stressed amongst them all for the university entrance test. He was also the most desperate to do well and get into a university, especially since his results was the worst amongst the seven graduating students.

 

Sunggyu then shot Sungyeol a glare for breaking all their concentration. “Great, now we’re all distracted. Thanks a lot.” He directed his words at Sungyeol. “Don’t mind him, he’s sensitive these days.” Sunggyu looked at Hoya, who was still walking in circles but trying to keep his footsteps light. Hoya apologized softly and sat down next to Woohyun in the living room. Yes, the eight of them were back at L’s cozy home, cramming for their respective exams yet again.

 

Sunggyu looked up from his math textbook and stared at Hoya for a moment. It was strange to him that Hoya was feeling uneasy. Usually, everybody else would be panicking and Hoya would be the only calm one going around helping them with any problems they had. For Hoya to be worried and nervous until he’s the one panicking? That was a first. Sunggyu thought maybe it was because this is the most important exam ever—the university entrance test. Maybe the exam scared Hoya till he’s all panicky but something in Sunggyu’s mind tells him no. There’s definitely something else. But for now, he pushed the thought to the back of his head and concentrated on his studies.

 

--

 

One month left. Books were laying everywhere and bodies too. The gang had stayed over and most of them fell asleep while studying. Woohyun and Sunggyu were laying next to each other that they were almost in a hug on the living room floor. Dongwoo was sleeping in an uncomfortable position on the couch and Sungyeol was nodding his head away. Mrs Kim had came over not too long ago to cover the boys and Eunji with a blanket each before she went back to sleep.

 

Hoya tossed around before he woke up to get a drink form the kitchen. Seeing Eunji resting her head on his shoulders, he carefully lay her down and gave her a kiss on the forehead before getting a drink and heading out to the balcony to get some fresh air.

 

He breathed in the scent of the night. Leaves rustling, stars twinkling and owls making their trademark sound in the dark. Taking it all in, he felt much more relaxed than ever for the past month.

 

“What are you doing out here?” The voice startled Hoya and he almost dropped the cup in his hands.

 

“What aren’t you sleeping?” L rested his elbows on the side of the balcony and admired the night view from his house.

 

“What about you?” Hoya threw the question back at L.

 

The both of them stayed there in silence as they looked to the sky full of stars.

 

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” L was the first to speak up. Hoya didn’t reply but he felt the same way.

 

“To me, Eunji is more beautiful, she’s the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen.” L confessed to Hoya now. It was awkward seeing how another guy was complimenting his girlfriend but he could feel L’s pain. How he had to see the both of them dating, all right in front of him, it was like rubbing salt on his wound. “Don’t worry hyung,” he continued, “I won’t fight for her. It’s obvious who she loves. So, please take good care of her okay? For me.”

 

L was giving up. He wanted Eunji to be happy and that was enough. Now, he’s just going to keep all his feelings back inside and hope that eventually his feelings will fade and he will meet someone better.

 

“Myungsoo,” Hoya called out and L was taken aback, they hardly ever used his real name ever since he got his nickname and whenever Hoya uses it, it’s something serious. “I’m going to America.”

 

L’s eyes widened. He was too shocked to even say anything. He thought Hoya wasn’t going to go but what happened?

 

“Eunji doesn’t know yet, and I don’t know how to tell her but,” Hoya breathed in, “take care of her will you? For me.”

 

L had tears in his eyes at this point. When Hoya moved out, it had been unbearable since they both grew up together. Now, his hyung would be leaving. His best friend, his brother is going to leave. “Must you go?”

 

Hoya couldn’t bring himself to see a teary eyed L so he looked away. “They say it’s for the best. So I’m hoping it really is.”

 

--

 

Half a month to go. The university entrance test will end slightly earlier than the finals for the other students and so Eunji was complaining about how the others have to wait till she’s done with her exams before they can celebrate. Sungyeol then argued with her saying how they deserve a break right after their exam and that she should bring her jealousy fit somewhere else.

 

“Well, fine! I’m going to class and I hope I don’t see you during lunch!” Eunji stomped off but not before saying goodbye sweetly to the rest. Trust Eunji to be the only one who would go along with Sungyeol’s choding ways.

 

“She’s a monster. A monster! What do you see in her?” Sungyeol directed the question to Hoya, in which he just laughed in return. What does he see in her? He wasn’t sure himself, he just do.

 

L then came patting on his shoulders, “you haven’t told her?”

 

Hoya shook his head and let out a sigh.

 

“Only half a month to go hyung.”

 

“I know.”

 

“The last time she found things out by herself she was devastated. I’m sure you wouldn’t want that to happen again do you?”

 

L was pressuring Hoya to tell Eunji about it. Not only Eunji, he wanted him to tell everybody because they deserve to know as well. Hoya agreed but he just couldn’t bring himself to. It has already been arranged that he will leave after their graduation. Time was short and he needed to cherish every moment with his friends.

 

“Just… I don’t want to see Eunji hurt again. She will be, once she hears this news but I think she deserves to know the truth from you. Not someone else again. So it’s better to tell her sooner than later.” L gave him one last pat on his shoulders and headed off for class. Hoya slumped back and leaned against the lockers. L was right. Eunji deserves to know and so does everyone else.

 

Lunchtime came sooner than Hoya wished it would. He was dreading to see them again because he made up his mind during lessons earlier that he would tell them today. Lunchtime. It wasn’t going to be a pleasant day but L was right. Sooner than later.

 

Before he could go to the cafeteria, he saw someone familiar walking his way.

 

“Oppa,” Hyeri smiled. After that day where the both of them had a proper talk, they had been much closer. At home at least since they didn’t show it in school. They had gotten along better than before even though Hoya was still upset that Hyeri had once bullied Eunji. She had stopped but Hoya felt that she needed to give a proper apology to Eunji. Hyeri had a strong pride and that kept her from doing so for a long time, but it seems like this time she was ready.

 

“You sure you’re ready?” He questioned her as they walked to the cafeteria together—a sight hardly seen by the students—causing them to stare in wonder.

 

“Before you pester me to death, I’m going to do it. I am truly sorry and I am also a man of my word.”

 

“A woman you mean.” Hoya chuckled.

 

Hyeri smiled back at him mumbling out, “whatever.”

 

The others were shocked at the scene they were seeing in the cafeteria. The Lee siblings were walking together. Sungjong was saying something along the lines of Hoya “fraternizing the enemy” and “betrayal”. Even Sunggyu was confused at the scene. *Since when did they get along?*

 

Eunji, was the most surprised. Her boyfriend and her worst enemy walking together? She felt like getting angry but she also wanted to hear what Hoya had to say about this. The siblings then stopped in front of their table, in particular, in front of Eunji when Hyeri announced something.

 

“I have something to say.” All eyes in the cafeteria were on her, despite her speaking at the volume such that only a few tables near theirs could hear. “I know what I did was previously wrong and yes, I deserve to be hated. So I want to apologize to you, Eunji. I admit I was a jealous freak and I let those emotions get the better of me. I don’t expect you to forgive me right away, but I will continue to be sorry till the day you forgive me.” Hyeri was shivering and her eyes darted around, not meeting Eunji’s. She never had to lower herself down this way before and that was definitely the scariest thing she had done in her life.

 

Her pride was gone. All gone. But somehow she felt proud of herself for making things right. At least her conscience is clear now. L stared at Eunji, then to Hyeri and then back to Eunji. It was partly his fault that Eunji had to suffer. If Hyeri didn’t fall for him, Eunji wouldn’t be bullied and picked on as well. A stupid reason but love is stupid isn’t it?

 

Eunji didn’t know what to say because she never thought that Hyeri would one day come and apologize to her so all she said was, “okay.”

 

Hyeri gave her a smile, something that Eunji has never seen before so she gave a slight smile in return. Hoya stood by his half-sister and suddenly felt so much more courageous. Gathering up all the courage he had in him, he decided that if Hyeri could be brave enough to apologize publicly, he could tell them about his departure as well.

 

“I have something else to say too.” The time, all eyes were on Hoya. Even Hyeri standing next to him look at him, wondering what it could be.

 

L clasped his hands together, he knew what was coming next and he was praying for them to take it well, especially Eunji. If he himself couldn’t take the news well, how would Eunji feel?

 

“I am leaving for America after graduation.”

 

L held his breath. He turned to look at Eunji, who had a look in her eyes in which he couldn’t read.

 

Hyeri stood there, stunned as well. She didn’t know that he hadn’t told his friends this big news. Truthfully, she was sad that he needed to leave as well. Just as she started warming up to her own half-brother, he had to leave and then she’ll be left alone again, with no one else that truly cares for her.

 

“I know it’s sudden, but it’s for the best. I have to go.” Hoya stared right at Eunji because her reaction was the most important to him but she wasn’t giving him any.

 

Five seconds, ten seconds, fifteen seconds later, Eunji rushed out of the cafeteria. She wasn’t crying, she just ran as far as her legs could take her. L stood up immediately and Hoya stared at him. The both of them looked into each other’s eyes and L was having a rush of emotions. “Hyung, what are you doing! Go after her!”

 

Hoya stood rooted to the ground, he couldn’t move and he didn’t know what to say if he were to catch up with Eunji. He just stood there, with everyone at the table staring at him.

 

L took one last glance at Hoya before he decided to go after Eunji himself. Praying that she was going to be alright. He couldn’t bear to see her having an emotional breakdown again. “You owe me one.” L said as he ran past Hoya to chase after Eunji.

 

Hoya stood there, the noise in the cafeteria was being drowned out by his thoughts. The others were giving him looks. Woohyun was having a mental breakdown. Sunggyu just sat there quietly. Dongwoo and Sungjong looked like they were about to cry and Sungyeol was throwing him questions. Hyeri gave him a pat on his shoulders, giving him a sense of assurance and security.

 

Hoya didn’t know what to do next so he his heels and ran away. Eunji was all he could think of at the moment. He needed to find Eunji. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Back again with yet another chappie!!!! So finally the gang knows!!!! And I jsut had to add that woogyu loving scene in the living room becuase they're my favourite OTP ever hahahaha. I swear when I first wrote the chapter, I accidentally typed 'living' as 'loving' and I was like 'so even my computer wants some woogyu love???' hahahah sorry, I'm a trash for woogyu. Anyways, I'm so thankful for more suscribers the past few days and I even have someone upvoting my story! Thank you so much :") I'm really touched beyond words hahaha because I really thought nobody would read my story at the start. I know it's already 36 chapters but I do plan to end it around 50 (?) so I hope you all will stay with me till then! Thank you to all my readers, you know how I really cherish each and everyone of you and your comments too. It really means a lot and gives me more confidence to post my chapters up and continue writing. Every grateful! Have a great week everyone! I'll be slightly busy with some stuff this coming week but I will try to update soon instead of having you guys wait a week hahaha. Okay, enough rambling in a chapter! Bye! <3 *throws hearts and confetti*