Chapter 8

Protecting The One

That day, it was dull and boring as usual for infinite but they were all excited to see how well the sleepover surprise will go. The plan is that Hoya and L will walk Eunji home, make sure she’s fine and when they’re about to go over with dinner, the rest will join them and surprise Eunji. Sungyeol had even prepared a special corner so they could bond and share their feelings. It hurts them to see Eunji this way, feeling so depressed and they hope that they can do whatever it takes for her to get over her mother’s death and feel whole again.

 

 

 

 

 

Hoya was into space during class, thinking about Eunji. All he could ever think of now is Eunji, Eunji and Eunji. It seems like he doesn’t get tired thinking about her.

 

Sunjong, who was sitting across Hoya, caught his hyung in a deep thought and not paying attention in class. He then used a piece of paper and crushed it into a ball and threw it in the direction of Hoya. “Ouch!” The paper ball hit Hoya’s temple, causing him to make such a remark. Even though it didn’t really hurt, his train of thoughts was broken.

 

“Hoya-ssi, is there a problem?” Mr Choi, the dull and boring teacher asked. He knew Hoya wasn’t really paying attention but he couldn’t say anything because all Hoya did was stare at the front of the classroom. “Care to repeat what I just said?”

 

“N-neh?” The question caught Hoya by surprise. Mr Choi raised an eyebrow and gave Hoya a skeptical look. “I’m sorry Mr Choi.” He quickly apologized.

 

“Just because you’re the top student doesn’t mean you can slack off during lessons, so pay attention!”

 

“Neh.” Hoya sighed and slumped in his seat. How is he even supposed to pay attention when his own girlfriend is in such a mess?

 

After lessons, Hoya left the classroom with the maknae, only to find one of the queenkas, Soojung, waiting for him outside. He was so caught up with Eunji feeling down and he didn’t want to look for trouble anymore.

 

“Hoya oppa!” Soojung waved and ran over to his side. She grabbed onto his arms and held them tightly.

 

“Yah, Soojung-ah, what is this?” Hoya gestured to his arm being held by the queenka.

 

“Nothing! I just wanted to ask you if you want to hang out after school. We can go grab some food and catch a movie, after all, today is a Friday!” Soojung smiled happily as she batted her eyelashes. She was totally oblivious to Hoya’s annoyance at the moment as she kept clinging onto him as though her life depended on it. Maybe it did, seeing how she claims that he’s the “love of her life”.

 

“I’ve no time to mess around with you, so just let me go.”

 

“Yah, haven’t you hear him? Leave him alone!” Sungjong was obviously annoyed by the girl and her cutesy ways. He pried her hands away from Hoya and linked arms with Hoya instead, leaving Soojung flabbergasted at what just happened. “Close your mouth before a fly flies in.” Sungjong flashed a victory smile and winked at the latter. He then dragged his hyung away from the evil that wouldn’t budge.

 

Hoya could only chuckle in such circumstances. “Yah Lee Sungjong, get your hands off me too. People might misunderstand.”

 

“No, I’m not going to!” And the maknae held on tighter. The two of them laughed but stopped halfway coming face to face with Eunji.

 

She looked thinner than ever and of course, sadder than ever. She looked up to see Hoya, her boyfriends, linking arms with not another girl but another man?! She was bewildered. Sungjong saw the look on her face and immediately released Hoya’s arms. He gave a sheepish smile and placed his hands at the back of his neck. “I… we weren’t doing anything. Don’t get the wrong idea Eunji.” Sungjong reassured her, for fear that she would tell the other members about it and they will definitely make him the lunch topic for ages.

 

“Ani… I’m just shocked that Hoya oppa allowed that since he’s not a huge fan of skinship.” Eunji then turned and walked away. She sounded nasal, maybe because she spent her free time crying all day. Obviously, she wasn’t in the best of moods after what happened in the morning. It was such a pity; she was definitely getting better especially since the start of a relationship. Hoya thought he would be able to make everything better but every time he tries, something just had to get in the way like what happened this morning. Damn, he hated Hyeri so much for that. If only she wasn’t a girl, he would’ve thrown her a punch then and there.

 

Hoya trotted along to catch up with Eunji and so did Sungjong. Sungjong gave Hoya a look of reassurance that they will definitely be able to see the bright and happy Eunji again. Sungjong had been planning with Sungyeol in case the choding decides to do something weird for the sleepover. Sungyeol can be a bit childish at times and honestly, Sungjong was much more mature and responsible. Come on, it’s Sungyeol we’re talking about. Don’t expect much.

 

“Let’s go find the others and head home shall we?” Hoya asked cheerfully, trying to get Eunji to smile.

 

Seeing his efforts, Eunji felt bad for him. Ever since the incident, he had tried hard to get her laughing again but she just couldn’t. She forced a smile and took his arm. Sungjong saw the sigh and raised an eyebrow at the couple linking arms. *I thought Hoya hated skinship?! Mwoh ya. Is there something going on between them?* But in the end, he shrugged it off and followed behind.

 

On the other side of the classroom blocks, L, Dongwoo and Sungyeol just ended lesson and they couldn’t wait to get out of school. Hyeri was in the same class as them but her attention was solely focused on L. The most handsome guy in school, scratch that, she felt like he was the most handsome guy he’s ever met in her entire life. The horrible thing is, he never seem to fall for any of her charms. She immediately ran up to L and tried to start a conversation with him.

 

“Oppa! Where are you going after school?”

 

L, being the cold ice prince he was, merely stared at her face and walked off with no expression on his face. The other two followed suit and Sungyeol even stuck out his tongue at her. Not intending to give up, she continued pestering him until he couldn’t take it anymore. First of all, he hates clingy girls. Secondly, he already has a girl he likes. Lastly, Lee Hyeri happened to cause great emotional harm to the girl of his dreams. Thinking about that made him angry. He wasn’t intending to flare up but he just couldn’t control himself, thinking of how hurt Eunji was this morning.

 

He stopped his footsteps causing Hyeri to crash into his back as she followed him closely. L turned was now face to face with her. Hyeri felt her heart thumping fast. “Don’t you dare cause harm to Eunji again.” His eyes were stern and his facial muscles were tight. His fist was clenched and he was ready to hit the closest thing next to him as he thought about Eunji hurting. “Never ever,” L paused, “appear in front of me again.” And then he walked off with the other two infinite members coolly, leaving a flabbergasted Hyeri staring into blank space.

 

Once the entire gang was complete, they headed off home. The atmosphere was a little different this time because Eunji was unusually quiet. Dongwoo sensed the awkwardness in the group and he tried to make everyone laugh by picking up a leaf and started sticking it to parts of his face. “Yah yah Dongwoo! That’s dirty! Why did you stick it to your face?!” Sunggyu scolded.

 

“Hyung, isn’t it funny?” Dongwoo laughed his signature laugh. His laughter was contagious that everyone else started chuckling except for Eunji. Her mind seems to be somewhere else instead. Hoya noticed her eyes were somewhere else and he sighed. How he wishes he were a better boyfriend for her. Heck, their relationship wasn’t even out in the open yet how can he just show affection?

 

L, on the other hand, was walking beside Eunji. His hand brushed against the back of her hand a few times but she didn’t even seem to notice. L felt his cheeks turn bright pink every time their hands touched. Gathering the last of the courage he has, he took her hand in his, causing Eunji to be shocked at the sudden contact. He looked at her and gave her a small smile that could melt any girl’s heart but her. He squeezed her hand tight and held onto it for a few more seconds then he let go. Eunji thought it was just a sign of reassurance and brushed it off. She was thankful for her L oppa for always being there for her through the ups and downs. But for L, it was a huge feat. Finally he has some courage to even hold her hand. Out. In public. Wow he deserves an award. He felt butterflies in his tummies and damn, how he loves that girl so much. It’s a pity she’s with his hyung right now and he can’t do anything about his pathetic one-sided crush. Fighting back the tears in his eyes, he looked straight and walked ahead without looking back.

 

At Lee Enterprise

 

 *Knock knock*

 

“Come in.”

 

“Mr Lee, I have some information about the accident.”

 

“Go ahead Minhyuk.”

 

The new secretary and right hand man of Mr Lee, Lee Minhyuk, presented him with a file filled with information. Lee Minhyuk is a handsome young man with no parents. He owed his life to Mr Lee as Mr Lee helped him with everything in his life so far. That is why he is so willing to do anything and everything for Mr Lee. Minhyuk opened the file and began speaking.

 

“The accident was caused by a driver named Choi Hyuk. He used to work for an underground gang but quit his ways when he was caught and put behind bars for fifteen years. I did a background check and I found that he used to fix cars with his dad ever since he was a little boy. The cause of the accident was due to failing brakes of Choi Hyuk’s car and hence when Song Jimin was crossing the road, he couldn’t stop in time and the accident happened.”

 

Mr Lee shut his eyes at the mention of his old friend and savior Song Jimin. He furrowed his eyebrows as he placed two fingers at the bridge of his nose. Taking a deep breath, he signaled for Minhyuk to continue.

 

“Choi Hyuk was prosecuted, but proved innocent and the entire incident was ruled as an accident. For someone who fixed cars and followed his dad fixing cars since young, there is certainly something strange about him not knowing the condition of his car. Especially the failing brakes-“

 

Mr Lee held up a hand to stop Minhyuk as he digested the information. “So you’re saying, that he tampered with his own brakes?”

 

“Let me get to that Mr Lee.” Minhyuk flipped the pages of the file for Mr Lee to look at. “I’ve checked, Choi Hyuk had no connections or whatsoever to Song Jimin. They may be of similar age but they go to totally different schools. They even stay in totally different areas their entire life. So it rules out the possibility of him killing her as revenge.”

 

Minhyuk took a deep breath and continued. “What made me suspicious was that straight away after the death of Song Jimin, there was a huge sum of money transferred to his account. He claims that it was the insurance money for the death of his wife not too long ago. But I’ve checked, his wife died ten years ago from cancer. There must’ve been some mastermind. It must’ve been murder. The failing of the brakes, it was a plan to bring Song Jimin down and keep her quiet forever.”

 

Mr Lee’s eyes widened as his hand formed a fist. His fingers were pressing in his palms until a deep mark was forming. He closed his eyes and his hands began to relax.  Once he opened them again, he looked straight to Minhyuk with a different gaze in his eyes, more angry, more deadly. “Good job Minhyuk. Now I need you to help me find out who’s the mastermind.”

 

 

 


This chapter seems a little boring... Sorry guys if you were bored but good stuff coming up ahead! AND THE CULPRIT HAS BEEN FOUND!!!! Minhyuk in this story isn't Lee Minhyuk from BTOB, neither is it Lee Minhyuk from Block B hahaha I just liked the name Minhyuk and I realised that it's such a common name. If you want you can just imagine any of the Minhyuks as him ;) I don't mind. (maybe you guys can imagine b-bomb as him huehuehue. I really like b-bomb, so if you do, we can be good friends)