Chapter 48

Protecting The One

"At dawn yesterday, the only son and heir to Lee Enterprise, Lee Howon had arrived in South Korea safely with his bodyguards. Lee Howon was said to have sustained minor injuries during the accident but has since received treatment back in the states. As he has made his return to the country, it is not known if the young heir were to complete his studies in Korea or back at the states."

News coverage about Hoya's return was grand and Minhyuk had made sure to leave out certain details for the reporters. Minhyuk was an expert for handling the media and this was an easy task. He had also made sure the press were to keep quiet about Mrs Lee, or rather, Hong Yejin's arrest as Mr Lee has filed for a divorce as well.

The infinite members had heard from Hoya personally and they were all glad that he was back safe and sound. His grand return definitely calls for a reunion of the group.

--

It was a Saturday when they agreed to meet up. Hoya had kept his promise by calling Eunji and she agreed to meet.

It has been sometime since the both of them had met up and have a talk so needless to say, Eunji was freaking out.

"Oh my god what do I even wear? What do I do? What do I do?!" She rummaged through her closet trying to find the perfect outfit for the day. Was she trying to impress Hoya? She didn't know. She just wanted to look presentable to him.

Eunji didn't want him to know that she's been living life like a wreck ever since he left, she had to show him that she's doing just fine. It's not exactly the truth but it's not a lie either. Ever since Hoya left her side, she had been directionless; her life had less meaning than it did. However, thanks to L who never fails to stay by her side, she managed to pick herself up again, although it just wasn't the same. How can a plate be the same when you smashed it to the floor and tried to put the pieces back together? It functions as a plate again but it will never be the same.

At that time when Hoya wasn't around and L was there to help her, L had even confessed to her again and again. He never pressured her for an answer but he constantly reminded her that there would always be someone there for her no matter what. Eunji sighed at the thought of L. She didn't know what to do. He had been such a massive pillar of support for her during this time but does she feel anything for him?

Eunji had tried hard not to be any different around him, not when knowing that he likes her and anything she does may end up giving him the wrong idea. It was hard but if she treated him any differently, she would hate herself for ruining their friendship of a lifetime.

As she was still stumped for not knowing what to wear to meet Hoya this afternoon, the doorbell rang. Running down the stairs, she opened the door only to find L standing there with a beautiful smile.

"Oppa, come in." She smiled. "What are you here for?" She asked as he handed him a glass of water.

"I heard you're meeting hyung in a bit and if I'm not wrong, you probably are struggling to find out what to wear." He smirked.

Eunji laughed because L knew her too well. "So I assume you're here to help me?"

"Aniya, why would I want to dress you up prettily only to send you away into my rival's arms?" L joked.

Eunji's smile faded because L hardly jokes this way but he broke into a smile, assuring her that it was only just a joke.

Eunji had changed into many outfits, asking L if they were suitable but L kept giving mixed comments and so Eunji didn't feel safe wearing that to meet Hoya. She changed into her fifth outfit and sighed. "How's this now?" Wearing a simple white top and brown skirt matched with a long overcoat, she turned.

L clasped his hands together. "Perfect."

Eunji almost collapsed to the ground after hearing that word because she was already tired of changing and thinking what to wear next.

L stared at the angel in front of him. She looked so dazzling that he couldn't take his eyes off her.

"Eunji-ah," he found himself saying as Eunji was looking for a matching pair of shoes. "I won't give you up."

Eunji fell silent.

"I won't give up. I promised a fair competition with hyung so I will do my best to win your heart. Just... Save me a date will you?" L mustered up the courage to ask her. If it were the old L back then, he wouldn't have been able to ask her out so boldly. L felt proud of himself that he was taking steps to earn the love from her. At the end of the day, whoever Eunji ends up with is still not certain yet and he doesn't want to just give in like this. Not after he's been in love with her for so long.

Eunji smiled softly at L. "I will."

She took a pair of matching shoes and put them on before heading off to meet Hoya. Call it a date, a meet up or whatever you want it to be but Eunji was going to meet Hoya. Will they get back together? Eunji didn't know as well. All she knows is that she's not going to throw herself back into the fire when she barely got out of the blaze. This time, she's going to think carefully about how she really feel before entering a relationship.

She had missed Hoya so much. Not only as a lover but also as a friend. If anything, all Eunji wants is to spend proper time with him. It doesn't matter if it's as a lover or as a friend. She just misses him.

They had agreed to meet at a cafe where it would be quiet so that they could have a conversation with each other.

Hoya sat at a table waiting and he kept checking his watch even if the time didn't change much. He had worn a button down shirt and pants with matching shoes and he kept fiddling with his fingers. For every customer that entered through the door, Hoya would look up just to check if it was Eunji. Needless to say, he was feeling nervous as well. He had this whole script memorized because he had so much to explain to her and of course, he wanted to make up to her. Whether he would be able to successfully deliver the speech would be another thing.

Just then, another customer has entered the cafe and Hoya's eyes immediately looked up. His whole body reacted to the person who just walked in as he stood up from his seat. She walked over with grace in her every step and Hoya had gone over to pull out her chair for her. She looked absolutely stunning and his heart was racing. It was like yesterday, when they just got together and he still feel the jitters when he sees her. He started to sweat and his breathing got shaky. Words wouldn't come out of his mouth and so he stuttered. That was just the effect Eunji had on him.

"H-hey." Hoya managed out stupidly and he almost slapped himself for starting off with a 'hey'. *Way to go, Lee Howon.*

"Hey," Eunji replied the same thing.

There was silence at the table with both not knowing how to start the ball rolling.

"Erm... Do you want to order first?" Hoya said as he swallowed his saliva. He was feeling anxious for no reason. *You've got this Lee Howon. You memorized it. You've got this.*

"Y-yeah!" Eunji replied and started flipping through the menu awkwardly. She was feeling jittery as well because it has been some time since they last sat down like this. Alone.

After ordering, the two still sat in silence as they drank water from their cups. Both had no idea what to bring up first because there was just so much to say. It was more of a "I don't know where to start" silence than "this is awkward" silence.

"So... I finally managed to convince Minhyuk hyung to let me out on my own." Hoya chuckled as he broke the ice. "He wouldn't let me out of his sight but I promised him I'll be fine alone."

Eunji broke into a smile as well hearing that and Hoya's heart melted. This was the smile he missed the most.

"He's probably loitering around somewhere in case something happens." Hoya continued, chuckling at the thought of Minhyuk being so overprotective of him even back in Korea.

"Minhyuk oppa probably worries about you more than your dad." Eunji replied with a smile on her face.

"I actually think he does too." Hoya winked and Eunji found herself being shy. She wasn't sure of what their relationship is at the moment. Surely, they've broken up but what is next, she doesn't know as well. It was as though Hoya read her mind and answered the burning question in her head.

"Let's start from the beginning shall we?" Hoya asked. "Let's start over as friends."

Eunji nodded just as the food came and the two shared a casual conversation. Eunji shared about how her last year of high school just wasn't the same without the rest of them and Hoya talked about his life in America, minus the part about his 'accident'. He had been careful to not talk too much about Choi Hyuk because although he saved his life, Choi Hyuk had ultimately been the one who took Eunji's mother's life. That subject would be a bit sensitive to talk about.

Once they were done with their meal, Hoya had looked closely at the shiny object around Eunji's neck. It was the ring he had given her.

"You're wearing the ring I gave you." He blurted out in excitement. Of course, he is happy to see Eunji wearing that he specially got for her.

Eunji looked down and fiddled with the ring. "Err... Yeah. I just wanted to wear an accessory." She managed out and she immediately regret. It was such a lame excuse and she couldn't believe she had said it. Hoya just nodded with a smile and let the topic go.

Eunji had then suggested to go somewhere else after their lunch.

"Where is it?" Hoya asked.

"Shhhh, it's a secret. It's just a place I want to go for a long time but I haven't got the time to."

"You do know that Minhyuk hyung will be secretly following us right? Although he's not being that secretive." Hoya looked past Eunji and waved at another person in the back. Eunji turned and saw Minhyuk sitting at another table sipping coffee and reading a magazine, more like looking out for Hoya instead, and he gave a small nod to acknowledge Hoya.

They both got up after settling the bill and Minhyuk came running over to the both of them. "Where are you guys going? I can give you a lift."

"Aniya hyung, it's been some time since I took the bus. I want to take the bus."

Minhyuk stood there, not budging.

"Please hyung?" Hoya tried his best to give puppy eyes and Eunji was trying to hold her laughter in. She knew Hoya hated going aegyo but here he was, doing it in front of another guy just to have his way.

Minhyuk let out a loud sigh. "Don't do aegyo on me anymore please. You can take the bus, but only the bus. No trains because I can't look out for you on trains."  And he stepped aside to let the two pass.

"Hyung, you're being paranoid." Hoya said before walking out of the cafe with Eunji. "So where are we heading?"

"Follow me!" Eunji walked down the street and headed to the traffic light. She was just about to cross but a car was coming in her direction at a high speed. Eunji stood rooted in place but Hoya had fast reflexes and he pulled her in before the car could hit her. She was well wrapped up in Hoya's arms and Hoya held onto her tightly. He had one arm around her waist and the other protecting her head. Hoya could feel his heartbeat increase and thumping hardly against his chest. If he hadn't reach out for Eunji, she could have been in a horrible accident.

"Don't scare me like that Eunji, I almost lost you again." He whispered, just loud enough for her to hear.

Eunji leaned close to Hoya and she felt her heart beating from the adrenaline. "I'm... I'm fine." She breathed out. Hoya released her from his embrace and check to see if she was hurt anywhere.

He let out a sigh of relief when he saw that she was alright. "Be careful okay? Let's go."

Eunji nodded and led the way to the place she wanted to visit the most.

It took two bus changes and a long walk before they reached the place that Eunji wanted to visit. Hoya walked silently next to Eunji. He could guess where they were heading after they got off the last bus and started walking. Eunji was heading to her mother's grave.

"Here you are, omma." Eunji smiled when she reached her mother's grave. "Look who else is here too."

Hoya bowed deeply to his saviour. Mrs Song was the one who truly protected him. She even gave up her life for his own safety and he felt that he owed his entire life to her. "We should have bought some flowers." Hoya said softly to Eunji.

"It's okay," Eunji turned to her mother's smiling photo. "Omma wouldn't mind."

They had a moment of silence at Song Jimin's grave before Eunji was willing to leave her mother's side.

Hoya felt himself choking back his tears because of the guilt. If it weren’t for him, Eunji would still have her mother beside her now. "I'm sorry Eunji." He blurted out all of a sudden while they were walking out of the isolated place.

Eunji was confused. As much as she didn't like to hear these words in the past, she didn't like it now as well. Hoya was always the one at the apologizing end, even when it's not his fault.

"It was all my fault that your mother..." Hoya brought up the topic he had briefly mentioned the previous time at L's home.

"It's not you fault oppa." Eunji assured.

"You don't understand," Hoya took a deep breath. "It is."

Eunji's eyes widened as Hoya spoke with conviction.

"Choi Hyuk ahjusshi may have saved my life but he was the one who killed your mother. He really regrets it, which is why he decided to turn himself in. He was paid by Mrs Lee to kill your mother but he never stopped feeling guilty. That's why the second time he was contacted, he decided to help save me instead." Hoya breathed out.

Eunji couldn't think of anything to say. She just stood there as Hoya continued.

"Your mom was the one who suggested hiding me away. Mrs Lee hated her ever since and she wanted to get rid of me. Things took a turn when my dad wanted to find me back. She got rid of your mother to bury the place of my location so that I will never be found. She was the only one who knew where I was. It... It was all because of me. If it wasn't for me, she needn't have to meet with this kind of fate." Hoya looked down, unable to meet Eunji's eyes at this point in time.

Eunji reached out her hand to grab his. Hoya looked up at her and he found that Eunji's expression was soft. She wasn't angry or upset, she just gave a soft smile.

"He saved you in the end didn't he?" She said softly. "He didn't let you die. Omma's death wasn't in vain. She still protected you in the end."

Hoya looked at her hand that was resting on his and he reached out to pull her closer into a hug. "Eunji-ah... Your mother lost her life because of me, do you hate me?"

Eunji wrapped her arms around his waist. "My mother died to protect you. If I hated you, wouldn't she have died in vain then? All that matters is that you're back safe and sound."

Hoya tightened the hug and he felt his eyes well up with tears. "Don't apologize anymore oppa," Eunji said through the hug. "Live on well and omma would be happy too. Also, it was never your fault. It was all Mrs Lee and her greed."

Minhyuk stood by the side, far away from the both of them but close enough to see the interaction between the two. He sighed when he saw the both of them hug each other. "Don't let go of something so precious Howon-sshi." He muttered under his breath and he pushed himself off the tree he was resting against to give the two of them some privacy.

--

Hoya had walked Eunji home and he could feel the loosened tension in his shoulders. He didn't get to say whatever apology he had memorized but it didn't matter in the end. Words came out at the appropriate moment and he got his point across. He never felt more relieved when Eunji didn't blame him for her mother's death.

"So... That Choi Hyuk person you mentioned, he's going to jail?" Eunji asked as they walked underneath the faint moonlight.

Hoya shook his head. "He turned himself in but Minhyuk hyung will find the best lawyer to defend him. He saved me after all. Also, if it wasn't for Minhyuk hyung who found out everything beforehand, I would have really died in America."

"So you need to treat Minhyuk oppa right." Eunji laughed. "Get him a girlfriend or something. He's been working so hard."

"Hyung will do fine on his own." Hoya imagined Minhyuk committing himself to a girl and he just couldn't picture it. "Nah, hyung should just stay by my side instead." He joked.

Eunji playfully slapped his arm for making such a comment. If there should be anyone to thank, it should be Lee Minhyuk. He gave his all to track down the mastermind and he even devised a plan with Mr Lee to get Hoya to America so that Choi Hyuk could protect him at all cost. Minhyuk was sceptical of Choi Hyuk at first but eyes don't lie. He looked into Choi Hyuk's scared eyes that night and he realized how afraid that man was of committing yet another crime. That moment, he knew Choi Hyuk could be trusted and indeed he could.

As the two walked closer to Eunji's front door, Eunji noticed the black car that was parked right in front of her porch. It was no doubt that car was the same one Minhyuk used to fetch Hoya around. "Oppa, you should go soon, Minhyuk oppa must have been waiting for some time." She motioned for Hoya to get to the car.

Hoya gave a pout, something he hardly does but he did it this time. "He's been following us the whole day, he can wait a little bit longer."

"Thank you for today oppa, it was really fun. And to see you again... I am really glad you're alright."

"I had fun too."

The both of them stood in front of Eunji's front door just smiling at each other sillily. Hoya scratched the back of his head, not knowing what else to say. Eunji looked down on her feet and she was shifting her weight between her toes and her heels.

"I—"

 

“I—"


The both of them started at the same time but stopped, laughing.

"You first." Eunji said.

"I..." Hoya continued scratching his head in shyness. "I just want to thank you for understanding." He was referring to the situation of Choi Hyuk being his saviour but he was also the one who harmed Eunji's mother.

"If my mother could do it again, I'm sure she'll give her life up to protect you once more." Eunji smiled at him. She sure smiled numerous times today because of this guy standing in front of her.

Hoya motioned for her to enter the house and they said their goodbyes from there. After Eunji closed the door, she could only smile to herself at this precious day. It was a simple, yet meaningful one. "Omma," she picked up the photo with her and her mother in it. "Thank you, for protecting Hoya oppa. Thank you."

Hoya went back to the car with Minhyuk dozing off at the wheel. "Oh, Howon-sshi, you're here."

Minhyuk then started driving Hoya back home but when he was only two streets down past Eunji's home, Hoya stopped him.

"Hyung, I've forgotten something." Hoya unbuckled his safety belt and made a dash out of the car, not caring if Minhyuk was calling after him frantically.

"Howon-sshi! Howon-sshi!"

Hoya ran all the way back to Eunji's house and pressed the doorbell, hoping that she's not in the shower or anything.

Eunji opened the door only to greet a panting Hoya and he had beads of sweat formed on his forehead. "Oppa!"

Hoya tried to catch his breath and he breathed heavily. "I... I know I've said about us starting over... As friends." He panted. "But I'll regret it for the rest of my life... If I didn't do this."

Hoya closed the gap between them and pressed his lips against hers.

Eunji was stunned for a second but she felt her eyes closing and responding to his kiss. His soft lips, the familiar scent and the familiar taste of his lips, everything was coming back to her and she couldn't handle the overwhelming emotions inside of her. Eunji felt herself getting lost in his kiss. Her mind not being able to focus on anything else but this moment, when Hoya had kissed her.

Before she could deepen the kiss, Hoya broke off. He was afraid that if he progressed further, he would have crossed the line. As if he didn't already crossed the friend line.

"I just had to." He whispered softly before turning on his heels and running back to his car where Minhyuk had turned around and chased after him. Eunji watched him disappear in the darkness with his back view. This was all too familiar to her. Not only the kiss but this moment, this scenario, it was all too familiar to her. She closed the door and she realized that Hoya had done it again.

Like before, Eunji found herself smiling uncontrollably and it was all thanks to Hoya, once again.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hey guys! This is one of the longest chapters I have ever written phew. I hope there are no typos or anything becuase I didn't get to proof read much! (just once but sometimes I do miss out my typos here and there.) Also, there's only two more chapters left for this story :( Are y'all sad because I am!!!! Do let me know what you guys think of this chapter because I really love reading comments from my readers! Don't be shy alright, I won't bite! 

Also, just to let you guys know, I'm actually super duper ultra busy the next two weeks because I just moved accomodation and school is just uggggggggh (you all know right?) I will still try my best to update instead of leaving you guys hanging for two weeks! Thanks for the support all these while I love y'all v v v v v much *muacks*