Chapter 12

Protecting The One

“Oppa, where are we going?” Eunji hooked her arm with Hoya’s as they walked on the streets.

 

“Just trust me.”

 

Eunji smiled at him as her heart raced. “Why are you being so secretive?”

 

Hoya did not answer her question but instead took his own scarf and tied it around Eunji’s neck before they head off for their first date ever. “It’s going to be a surprise. Here, don’t catch a cold.”

 

The couple then finally reached the place of their first date. It was filled with lots of kids and couples at the same time. “Ommo oppa! It’s lotte world! I’ve been meaning to come here for so long. How did you know!” Eunji dragged Hoya along to the entrance of Lotte World and went to queue for tickets.

 

Hoya just smiled at her and pushed her forehead back. “Pabo, you love this place since we were kids, how can I not know that you wanted to come here?”

 

“That is true, we came here when were kids and that was it. Our parents refused to bring us here again. Plus that time we were so young, we couldn’t sit many of the rides.” She sulked thinking about the previous time they came together with both families.

 

Hoya held out a hand. “So let’s just enjoy ourselves today, shall we?” Eunji smiled back at him and extended her arm. They held hands and entered Lotte World where their first date began.

 

When the couple went in, all Eunji could think of was to take this ride and that ride and some other ride, she was just overjoyed to be there and she couldn’t contain her excitement. They took some simple rides first like the indoor hot air balloon before heading to a scarier ride like the pirate ship.

 

“Oppa, I’m scared.” Eunji revealed as they were queuing for the pirate ship. Hearing the screams of the others who took the ride made things even scarier for Eunji.

 

“Honestly,” Hoya took her hand and looked seriously into her eyes. “I’m scared too.”

 

“Yah! Then why are we here? We should probably go take some kiddy rides and eat something instead. Come on, let’s just go and-“ Hoya leaned in and kissed her to stop her from blabbering on and on, earning a slap on his chest from Eunji.

 

“There are so many people here!” Eunji scolded him for his bold action, her face heating up in embarrassment.

 

“They’re all couples anyway, they’ll understand.”

 

“But still-“

 

“And, I’ll protect you. Don’t worry.”

 

After the pirate ship ride, which Eunji ended up liking a lot and Hoya having his face turn green, they head off to grab a bite and took even more rides. They even headed to play the carnival games where Hoya won a huge soft toy for her. It was this huge polar bear, which Eunji absolutely adored.

 

“I’m going to name it Howon!” She said as she continued to admire her new polar bear. “Thank you oppa.” Hoya could only smile because his girl was happy and that was enough.

 

Hand in hand, they walked around Lotte World, took more rides and finally decided that it was enough for the day. The couple then decided to go for dinner as the sun began setting. They headed to a seafood restaurant, as Eunji loved crabs. It was her favourite food besides the ddukbokki from the snack stall ahjumma.

 

Eunji halted before they went into the restaurant. “What’s the matter? You don’t want to eat here?” Hoya asked, concerned.

 

“No, it’s just that… Oppa, you don’t even like seafood, so why are we here?”

 

He chuckled before taking her hand and walked into the restaurant. Hoya even took the initiative to pull out her chair and be the gentleman he is. Once they have settled down, he finally answered her question. “It’s because you like it.” He gave her a toothy smile, which she absolutely loved.

 

“Oppa, gomawo. Really, thank you for being there for me all the time.” Tears were b in her eyes as she spoke. He was there for her when her mom has passed away and he never left her side at all.

 

“There’s no need to thank me, even if I weren’t your boyfriend, I wouldn’t want to see you upset all the time. But now that I am your boyfriend, I’m going to make sure that there will only be happy days ahead for you, I promise.”

 

--

 

Back at home, L’s imagination was running wild. He was playing league of legends with Sungyeol but he ended up losing everything. He could not focus and was only wondering what Hoya and Eunji were up to.

 

“Aish! What they are doing has got nothing to do with me.” Frustrated, he stood up and went to the fridge to get a drink. Just then, he received a call from Sungyeol.

 

“YAH! How dare you lose all the rounds?! I’m not playing with you anymore! You’re no fun, it’s all easy wins! What the hell are you doing KIM MYUNGSOO!!!”

 

L put his phone away from his ear and he just let Sungyeol rant on and on about losing the game because L wasn’t focusing. He took a sip of his drink and returned to his phone.

 

“Kim Myungsoo! Are you listening to me!!!” Sungyeol shouted over the other side of the line.

 

L sighed and blew his bangs, “yes of course I’m listening, and I’m just off form today. By the way, how many times must I say not to call me by my full name!”

 

Sungyeol just ignored him and went on on his own. “Anyway besides that, this year’s Christmas gathering, you coming? I’ve got to start preparing for the secret Santa so you guys better give me a fast reply. Oh, and are your parents coming this year? What kind of food do you think I should prepare…” And Sungyeol went on and on as usual.

 

Infinite’s annual Christmas party is always held at Sungyeol’s family resort. It was a huge resort that his father ran and they’ve been gathering there with their families ever since they’ve known each other. L chuckled listening to Sungyeol worrying about whether they will have a good time this year before he had to cut him short.

 

“How about balloons? Do you think-“

 

“Sungyeol, stop worrying. It’s going to be great and my family wouldn’t miss it for the world.” L smiled as he hung up the phone and he couldn’t wait to get Eunji her present this year. He knew just what to get her this year.

 

At the end of the date, Hoya walked Eunji home. Well, technically, he was going home too since the live right next to each other. When they reached her doorstep, he gave her a shy smile before asking her to go in.

 

Feeling the heat creep up her cheeks, she thanked him one last time that night. “Oppa, I am really grateful for you. Thanks for being there for the ups and downs- oh! L oppa!” She looked over Hoya’s shoulders and saw L walking past.

 

Sipping on his packet of juice, L too, was surprised to see himself walking past the couple and not realizing they were there. Perhaps he was too immersed in his own thoughts. “Oppa, where are you going so late at night?”

 

L rubbed the back of his head and replied awkwardly, “we ran out of juice, so I’m heading to the mart to buy some.”

 

“Hold on, I’ll come with you. Hurry head in and rest early Eunji. I’ll see you tomorrow.” With that, Hoya kissed the top of her forehead and made sure that she went in safely before joining L.

 

Hoya slumped an arm over L’s shoulders and took his juice to drink. “Hey, that’s mine.” L said nonchalantly.

 

“C’mon, we’re going to get some anyways. Besides, I have loads to tell you.”

 

L wasn’t having a good feeling about this. First he had to see the girls of his dreams dating his best friend slash brother. Second, now he has to hear all about their date. Great. Just great.

 

The two best friends headed over to the convenient store that was near their house and went straight to the juice section. On their way, Hoya started giving details about their first date whereas L’s attention seemed to be somewhere else.

 

While Hoya was choosing which juice to get, L suddenly spoke up.

 

“Hyung, take care of Eunji okay?” Hoya looked up, puzzled. L then continued. “She’s such a vulnerable girl even though she may look strong on the outside. Remember how she got bullied here last time?”

 

Hoya chuckled at the memory. “Of course.”

 

-Flashback-

 

Eunji was only eight years old then.

 

“Oh! It’s banana milk!” Young Eunji reached out to take the last banana milk left on the shelf but at the same time, an older girl reached out from behind. Both touched the banana milk and neither would let go of it.

 

Young Eunji was stubborn and wouldn’t give up her banana milk but the older girl was stronger than she was and she pushed her to the ground using her free hand. That caused Eunji to let go of the banana milk and fell onto the floor.

 

“Hmph, that will teach you not to snatch banana milk from me!” The older girl scoffed and walked away. Young Eunji burst into tears, alerting her two oppas who where in another section.

 

They arrived by her side but she wouldn’t stop crying because she really wanted her banana milk. Young Hoya and L were at a loss too. Young Hoya rubbed away the tears from her cheeks but more kept flowing down, being young and naïve, he had no idea how to stop comfort her.

 

“Eunji-ah, don’t cry.” Young Hoya went over to give her a hug. They brought her to the playground that was near the convenient store, hoping that she would calm down there. Just then, young L suddenly thought of something and told Hoya that he’ll be back soon.

 

He ran straight to the next convenient store, which was further away but still within walking distance. He had found the banana milk there and bought it just for Eunji.

 

When he ran back, he was full of sweat but he had the banana milk in his hands. He saw that Eunji was not crying anymore but playing with her Hoya oppa happily at the playground. It was as though she had forgotten about her banana milk. Nevertheless, L still went up to her and passed her the banana milk while panting heavily. Eunji accepted it but she was more excited about other things now. “Myungsoo oppa! Come and join us! Howon oppa showed me a new game!”

 

Young L saw the forgotten banana milk but he joined in as Eunji pulled him over.

 

-End of flashback-

 

The two friends were at the playground where they spent their childhood days playing. They were sitting on the swings and drinking their newly bought juice.

 

“Remember how we so much after that for crying like a crybaby?” Hoya laughed at the memory.

 

“Yeah, and we taught her how to fight back the next time and that was how she became so tough.”

 

“I’d say we did a pretty good job.” Hoya held out his hand and L high fived him.

 

“Hyung,” L suddenly turned serious, “promise me will you? That you will take care of her.”

 

Hoya gave L a look, questioning him, “Why do you sound so serious?”

 

“She’s… she’s my best friend too and so I care for her. Promise?”

 

“I promise.”

 

L kept his gaze straight without looking at Hoya. “Good, I’m glad she’s with you.” He looked up and gaze at the stars before giving a long sigh.

 

Hoya was confused but followed his gaze and enjoyed the beautiful sight. For L, he was not too sure whether he was really being truthful at the last sentence.

 

 

 

 

 


FInally an update! I'm really excited to share more of the plot with you guys because there's just so many ideas in my head and as I'm writing future chapters, I get so excited about it hahahaha. Ok enought blabbbing, I feel like some naggy ahjumma. Thanks again for the support and do leave me a comment on what you think about the story so far! (Do suscribe if you haven't already suscribed hehehehe. ok not forcing you but I'll be really happy if you do!!!) kisses for everyone!