Chapter 6

Protecting The One

“Argh! I’m so angry!” Lee Hyeri shouted as she threw her books in her locker. “Just because she’s with infinite and suddenly she thinks she’s all high and mighty? Who does she think she is?”

 

“You’re right! Just because Hoya oppa is protecting her, she thinks she’s the queen.” Soojung added, obviously upset that Hoya was siding with Eunji.

 

“She’s nothing but a loser ultimately. A loser with no father.” Yoojung said with a smug look. “Anyway, she’s not been attending school for the past week, do you guys know what happened?”

 

Soojung shook her head. Just then, Hyeri stepped in. “I think I do. Just watch out Song Eunji. I’m going to get my revenge for making me look stupid in front of L oppa.”

 

Since Eunji didn’t sleep much for the past week, she fell asleep at their usual lunch table without eating anything. Hoya stared at her and brushed her hair aside so that it does not get in her face. He was worried about her health as she hasn’t been eating well either.

 

“Hyungs, we should do something to cheer Eunji up.” Sungjong suggested with his mouth full.

 

“Yah Lee Sungjong, your food is spitting everywhere! Please chew before you talk!” The leader scolded.

 

“Stop calling me that! Just because you’re the leader doesn’t mean you can order me around.” Sungjong made a face and pretended to hit the leader when he saw that Sunggyu wasn’t looking, drawing a laugh from Dongwoo.

 

“How bout a sleepover! That way we can watch over her and have fun with her at the same time!”

 

“Wow Sungyeol, that was like the most intelligent thing you’ve ever said in your entire life.” Woohyun set down his cutlery and started clapping for Sungyeol sarcastically.

 

“Please, I’ve always been intelligent! My grades do not define my intelligence. I’m a smart kid.”

 

“Shhhh, you guys are being too noisy! What if you wake her up!” L shoved Sungyeol’s lunch in his mouth to shut him up, resulting in Sungyeol protesting even more. “Mmmmmm!!! Hmmmmm!!”

 

The maknae couldn’t stand it anymore and smacked Sungyeol on the head. “Just shut up hyung!”

 

After keeping quiet for a while, Sunggyu decided to speak up. “I think a sleepover is a good idea but would Eunji even agree to it?”

 

Hoya flashed his hyung a smile, “who says she needs to agree to anything?” L gave Hoya a look and knew that the both of them were thinking the same thing. Infinite couldn’t wait to have the sleepover as they decided on a date and planned it over lunch.

 

That day was a particularly horrible one for Eunji, she had to catch up with so much homework because she missed one week of school. It was already hard to concentrate in class and not knowing anything makes things even harder than it already is. In short, she wasn’t having a good day at all and she couldn’t wait to get home.

 

The rest of infinite went to find her after their lessons so that they can all head home together. Actually, they were all worried about her the entire day and sadly since they were all seniors, they couldn’t keep an eye on her. Eunji walked without a sound and kept her head down. She occasionally kicked stones out of the way and the others knew she had a bad day.

 

“Hey, if you need any help with your homework, you can always ask us, Eunji.”

 

“Neh Sunggyu oppa.” And she walked away from the group, leaving the rest lagging behind.

 

The others were at a loss of what to do at the moment. “Hyung, our sleepover party better be a good one so we can see her smile again.” Woohyun said as he gave a long sigh.

 

Eunji knew that she’s not supposed to feel this way. Her mom wouldn’t want ot see her looking so lifeless and helpless. She would want Eunji to be happy but right now, Eunji couldn’t do it. It’s hard enough for her that she didn’t have a dad since young and now with the loss of her mom, it was just too much to take in.

 

That night, it was Hoya’s turn to bring food over for her. Hoya and L took turns to bring over dinner or Eunji since she’s living all alone now. Mr and Mrs Kim offered to take her in so that they could stay together but she didn’t want to leave the house.

 

Hoya rang the bell and Eunji came over to open the door. She wore a hoodie that covered her now pale face and shorts, which showed off her long legs. His eyes automatically darted to admire her legs and Hoya felt himself blushing. That was when Eunji broke his train of thoughts.

 

“Oppa, why aren’t you coming in?” She stared at him with a blank expression. He broke out of his daze and took his shoes off. “Yeah… I’m coming in now.”

 

He sat the food on the table for her while she sat down. “Omma prepared a lot for you so eat up okay?” Eunji only nodded because honestly, she didn’t have an appetite now.

 

Hoya sat next to her and watched her eat but instead of eating, Eunji was just picking on the food. Hoya noticed that even though they managed to get her to go back to school and moving, her mind was still somewhere else. She’s gotten skinnier the past week and it hurts to see her this way. He silently took her hand, “Eunji-ah, are you okay?”

 

Eunji looked up at Hoya with tears forming in her eyes. “No, I’m not okay.” And then she began crying. Hoya took her in his arms and her hair like he always did. “Cry then, let it all out. Hoya oppa is here.”

 

After about thirty minutes of staying this way, Eunji finally calmed down and broke away from Hoya’s arms. She was hiccupping from crying too much and her eyes were swollen. Hoya’s heart broke into pieces. He felt the same amount of hurt seeing her this way. He then brought a mouthful of food up to Eunji’s mouth to feed her.

 

“You still have to eat some though, your omma in heaven would want you to live on healthily and happily.”

 

Eunji nodded and ate the food without protesting. Hoya fed her the entire meal as though she was a baby. This was the time where she ate the most ever since her mother’s passing. Once she was done, Hoya got up to wash the dishes.

 

*Why are you acting this way Eunji, why are you hurting everyone around you just because you’re hurt? Sunggyu oppa and Hoya oppa is right, omma wouldn’t want to see you this way, hurting yourself and hurting others. You’ve got to get a grip!*

 

Eunji then walked towards Hoya and stared at his broad back. She don’t know what made her do that but she went up to him and gave him a back hug. That caught Hoya by surprise and he was frozen on the spot.

 

“Thank you Hoya oppa, for always being there for me.” She turned her head towards the side and rested her cheek on his broad back.

 

“You don’t have to thank me, you just have to be back yourself and that’s the best gift you could give us in return.” He washed his hands clean and turned around to hug her. Hoya then gave her a soft kiss on the forehead, causing Eunji to blush a shade of dark red.

 

“Oppa… How does it feel like… To be all alone, without parents?”

 

Hoya sighed and broke away the hug. He looked deep into her brown eyes and pushed her hair that was covering her flawless face to the side. “Honestly, I don’t know. Omma and appa took me in when I was a small kid. But still, I don’t know if they’re even alive. Or is it because they didn’t want me that’s why they gave me away.” Hoya took her hand in his, “it feels lonely but I’m glad I have my foster parents and L. at least you had your omma and she gave you some of the happiest moments in your life.”

 

Tears were starting to form in Hoya’s eyes. L’s parents treated him like one of their own and he was grateful for that. There was just one burning question in his mind, whether his parents abandoned him because they didn’t want him or was it because they had already left this world. The thought of him being abandoned by his birth parents made him feel angry, dejected and of course, upset. He didn’t even get a chance to prove himself worthy and his parents abandoned him, how is that fair?

 

“Oppa, don’t cry, your birth parents must have their own reasons.”

 

“What if they really didn’t want me? What if I’m really an unwanted child?” tears silently fall and stained his cheeks.

 

Eunji held back her own tears and reached out to wipe his away. “You are amazing oppa, how can anyone not want you? Don’t you ever think like that again. You’ve been such a wonderful friend and I’m sure you are a good son to Mr and Mrs Kim as well.”

 

Hoya leaned in closer and he could hear his own heart beating hard and fast. “Really?” Eunji nodded. She had the same feeling as well. Her heart has been doing flips whenever she’s around Hoya ever since that day she caught him half . Did she happen to fall in love with him? Is that why she feel this way around him nowadays? Hoya has always been kind and warmhearted especially at this period of time when she felt the lowest. He has always been there, her pillar of support and she couldn’t be more grateful for him.

 

Being overwhelmed by emotions, she closed the gap between them and pressed her lips against his. Hoya’s eyes widened in shock and he felt Eunji pulling away after her bold action. After they were separated, Hoya leaned in once more and kissed her deeper this time round. He held onto her tighter and placed his hands on her cheeks. They were pressed against each other and they could feel each other’s heart beating together in the same rhythm. Fast.

 

Eunji broke the kiss after a long moment and she was still in a daze. “Sorry… I… I didn’t mean to… I just… I don’t know why I just… ithinkilikeyou” She felt embarrassed by her own action and she looked down, afraid to meet his eyes. Eunji heard a chuckle as Hoya tilted her chin to bring her eyes to meet his. “You’re suppose to say you like me first then kiss me, I think the order is a bit messed up here?”

 

Eunji blushed yet again. “I-“ Hoya shushed her up with another kiss on the lips. She tasted so sweet and he wished he could do this all day but he broke the kiss in the end. Hoya rested his forehead on hers and whispered to Eunji, “I like you Eunji, and I want to make you smile again. I will do anything I can to help you get back to being the happy girl you were because I love seeing you smile. It breaks my heart to see you this way so, would you give me a chance to show you what happiness is?”

 

Eunji was elated, her tummy had butterflies flying and she swore she could have seen fireworks in her head. Was this a confession? Is he asking her to be his girlfriend? She looked up at his handsome face and reached out to touch his cheek. Eunji gave a small smile and nodded slightly. “But I would like to keep it to ourselves first. I’m… I’m not ready to face the questions now.”

 

Hoya gave her a tight hug. “Anything you say.” Hoya never felt this happy as he left his worries behind temporary. He then thought of his best friend, L. This was a piece of news he couldn’t wait to share with him.

 

“How bout L? Can I tell him first?” he was cautious because he want to respect Eunji’s decision yet he wanted to let his best friend know about it.

 

She smiled once again, “of course. I trust L oppa.”

 

Back at the Kim’s place, L was feeling uneasy. He wasn’t sure why as well but every time it was Hoya’s turn to send food over, he felt this wave of uneasiness, which made him unable to focus on his studies. It may be because he knew how Hoya felt about Eunji and whenever the two of them are along, he just felt this sense of jealousy.

 

“Kim Myungsoo, you better do something or else you might lose the person you love to someone else! Grow some balls!” He scolded himself in front of the mirror. Just then, he heard the door unlocked, which means Hoya must be back. *If not now, then when?* L then went outside of Hoya’s room and waited for him as Hoya climbed up the stairs.

 

When Hoya was in view, L spoke up. “Hyung, I have something to say.”

 

“Oh, I have something to tell you too. Let’s talk in my room?” Hoya opened the door and gestured for L to go in. L was having a nervous breakdown, this will be the first time he’s ever told anyone about his true feelings and he couldn’t hide his nervousness. He was holding onto the side on his sweatpants and his palm was getting sweaty. Hoya sat on the bed with a grin and patted the bed. “Have a seat.” L shuffled over, not daring to look Hoya in the eye.

 

“H-hyung… why… why don’t you go first?” L was overwhelmed by the anxiety that he decided he needed to calm down first before he spoke. He was worried about Hoya’s reaction, afraid that his hyung would take it the wrong way and harm their friendship. Heck, even their brotherhood may be in danger.

 

Hoya’s smile never left his face as he felt like he was the happiest man alive at the moment. “Okay, I… Eunji…” Hoya chuckled, unable to finish his sentence. L looked at his hyung, confused. *Eunji? This has something to do with Eunji?* Hoya regained his composure and took a deep breath.

 

“Eunji and I are dating.” He then gave L the biggest smile L has ever seen in his entire life. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Another update! Yet another long chapter hehehe. I'll try to update more often these few days because school is starting soon and I won't have much time after that! I hope you all continue to support the story!!! Thanks a lot <3 

Do leave me a comment about what you think of the story and do remember to suscribe!