Chapter 26

Protecting The One

 

“It’s alright master Howon, I’ll take those in, you can just head to your new room.” The butler called out as Hoya was getting ready to move his own stuff.

 

“Oh, it’s okay, I can help.” Hoya insisted and the butler gave him a thankful smile.

 

“You are too kind master Howon. But this is my job and I will be fired if I didn’t do my job.”

 

Hoya understood his difficulties but he felt bad for making the butler and maids carry his stuff. It wasn’t much but he still felt bad. With a slight bow, he headed into the huge mansion, only to find Mrs Lee standing at the entrance “welcoming” him. She gave him her signature stare as though looks could kill. As usual, her perfectly brushed up face had no flaws and her stares were piercing through his gaze. Hoya felt chills down his spine, remembering what Mrs Lee had mentioned to him previously at the event recently.

 

*Flashback*

 

“I will just be honest with you, I don’t like you.” Mrs Lee spat out the last sentence in disgust, which took Hoya by surprise. What a nice way to leave a first impression.

 

“Your presence will ruin everything that my family has built up throughout the years. So I’m just going to warn you.” Mrs Lee said calmly despite the irritation in her voice. “You know that girl you are dating? What’s her name again? Ah, Song Eunji.”

 

Hoya’s eyes widened at the mention of Eunji. Why would she even bring her up in the first place? This whole situation has nothing to do with Eunji. His ears pricked up, being more alert than ever.

 

Mrs Lee gave a wide smile with her red lips. “She’s a pretty girl I admit but sometimes there’s going to be sacrifices made. Don’t worry about it, I’m doing this for the sake of MY family.” She stressed on the word ‘my’, which automatically made Hoya realize that he’s being treated as an outsider. She leaned in closer to him and whispered in his ear, “I’m only protecting my family, my daughter and whatever that’s left of mine.” The smile never left her face the entire time she spoke as though she really meant it.

 

Turning around, Mrs Lee walked away without giving him a second glance. The hairs on his back were standing because she sure was the most intimidating woman he has ever met. What her words even mean would be a mystery to him but seeing how she was determined to go all out and protect her perfect little family, it didn’t seem like she was even going to tolerate him at all.

 

*End of flashback*

 

The maids showed him the way up the stairs to his new room but Mrs Lee was stopping him, once again. “Do you still remember what I mentioned the last time we met?” Hoya swallowed his saliva and his mouth went dry. He did not like their previous encounter and her words were of a mystery he could not solve. Hoya gave a small nod and avoided eye contact with the woman in front of him. MInhyuk’s warning was ringing in his ears and he reminded himself once again to be weary of this woman currently standing in front of him.

 

Mrs Lee gave a chuckle and nodded her head. “Alright, go ahead to your new room. But do remember, I’m still the owner of the house.” Hoya hurriedly followed the maid up into his room. He didn’t get any good vibes from Mrs Lee and he was pretty sure at this point in time, he’s still in her bad books.

 

Hoya then spent the rest of the day unpacking and studying due to the midterms coming up in a week. He had been so distracted due to all this drama happening in his life that he’s been neglecting his studies. Right now, his studies are his distraction for reality and he just want to bury himself deep in the books to forget about everything. That would make his life so much easier.

 

At the Kim’s place, Eunji went over early in the morning since Hoya was officially moved out. She had puffy eyes from all the crying as she helped to load his stuff up the truck. Before he left, he made sure to remind her to eat on time and to take care of herself properly. Even though she promised him that, Hoya was still not satisfied. He then ended up getting L to promise that he would take good care of Eunji in his place. To L, that was easily the easiest thing to do. He has always been looking out for Eunji for his entire life, plus he still has feelings for her, of course, he would take good care of Eunji, needless to say.

 

Eunji sat at the corner of the couch and propped up her knees to hug it. Tears still managed to escape her eyes despite her trying hard not to let it run down her face. L came with a cup of water and offered it to her, which she quietly took a sip of, before settling it on the table.

 

L sat down next to her and he took her into his arms, her hair like how Hoya always does. His heart raced like mad but somehow he had the courage to keep up his actions. L had been too passive for so long, it was time he stepped up his game.

 

Eunji buried herself deeper in his arms, “I miss Hoya oppa already.” She continued sobbing.

 

L’s mouth was dry and since his heart was beating so fast, he couldn’t really register what she said. Taking deep breaths, he continued her hair, calming her and himself down and then it suddenly dawned on him. Hoya really moved away. He felt this emptiness in the house, like it was too big without his best friend and brother. L choked back a sob, “I miss him too.” And he hugged Eunji tighter than ever.

 

--

 

“Oppa!” Eunji came running from the school gate since the group had just reached school. She had a huge bag in her arms that almost seemed like a burden but the smile on her face never faded as she ran across the hallway.

 

Hoya broke into a smile seeing his lovely girlfriend come running into his arms. Due to the midterms, they hardly have time for a date but they did study everyday before heading home. Now that Hoya stays separately, he would always walk Eunji home before heading back. He really missed the Kim’s house because that’s where he really felt the love and warmth of a family. The Lee’s were cold and missing everything a family should be.

 

“Oppa! This is for you! All the best for midterms, I know you’re going to ace it!” Eunji stood up on her tippy toes and gave him a peck on the lips before happily skipping away to her class. She had prepared a bag of food for Hoya to encourage him and wish him all the best for his exams. The rest of infinite slowly walked up to Hoya and gave him a pat on the shoulder, wishing him luck on the first day of the exam.

 

“I think you should be giving me luck instead, I think I need it more than you.” Sungyeol said with a pale face, he was not ready to face the exam questions at all.

 

Hoya just laughed it off and gave Sungyeol a squeeze on the shoulder. “You’ve been working very hard yeol, you will do well.” Sungyeol just nodded and he was already sweating due to the nerves.

 

“I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.” And he kept repeating his mantra until he reached his classroom.

 

Before the group parted ways, L tapped Hoya on the shoulder. “Hyung, I hope you screw things up.” L said with a straight face.

 

Hoya’s smile faded and his face turned serious as well, “well, same goes to you.”

 

The two gave each other stares that turned into glares until they suddenly broke into laughter. The two brothers hugged each other and did a fist bump before they officially wished each other good luck. It was their usual exam routine. To first wish each other the worst that could happen and then finally the sincere wishing of luck. It was just a bro thing between the both of them, which the others never really understood. “Really? Wishing that you screw things up?” Is what Sungyeol would always say while giving them a disgusted look. To Sungyeol, there should be no chance taken, not even at luck.

 

With that, the bell rang and Woollim High School began their midterm exams.

 

 

 


Wow I finally had time to post this up hahaha. School is just crazy I don't even know how I am going to survive this ordeal but I guess I will somehow... Anyways, as always, leave me a comment on what you think! Can't thank my readers, suscribers and commentors more. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!!!! Have a nice weekend everyone!