Lay: Mandate of the Goddess

Exo Fanfic Gems (plus other fandom pearls)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Mandate of the Goddess ongoing
Mandate of the Goddess AUTHOR: Siopao
LEAD: Lay
GENRE; SETTING: historical, adventure; fantasy
CHAPTERS: 14, as of 17/09/2016
READER INFORMATION: Subscribers Only  

An exiled prince. An orphaned girl. A pirate lord. And 3,000 years of dynastic rule on the line.

A coup d'etat sends Crown Prince Yixing into exile by stowing away on a trading vessel. When the ship is wrecked, however, Yixing and fellow stow-away Xiaohe are taken hostage by Captain Lau, the most feared pirate on the Southern Seas. But when an ancient prophecy offers both the prince his life back and enough wealth for a thief lord to retire from a life of piracy, Captain Lau and Yixing join forces to hunt down a string of priceless pearls and voyage to the realm of the Sea Goddess with the Revolution hot on their tails.

thoughts PLOT: Can I just say wow? Historical setting, fantasy, prophecies, a girl disguised as a boy, royalty, pirates, and Lay is the main character (and a prince)? Where can I find more of this? It almost seems too good to be true.

Ahem. Fangirling over.

The family dynasty that Yixing belongs to has ruled for three thousand years over what is, in Yixing's words, a "dying country". There are protesters in the streets, a rebel army that thinks the king has overstepped a line of cruelty towards the people while constantly at war with other powers, and the king is determined that Yixing will strengthen the country by marrying him off to a princess of a neighbouring land he has absolutely no interest in. The empire was won three millennia ago with the divine help of the Goddess Mazu, or so the legends say, and every one thousand years, the reigning king must voyage to the realm of the goddess with tribute to bury the oracular bones and renew the mandate of the goddess.

Yixing knows the myths but doesn't believe in them — not to mention is more concerned by the mob at the gates than some fanciful fairytale, but everything chances when the palace is stormed and he has to flee, ending up on a boat with the oracular bones, the mob on his tail, and the slightly familiar-looking Eunuch Jun, who is our wonderful female lead, Xiaohe, in disguise, having decided that sailing the high seas as a boy is her best prospect of a decent job. Then the boat gets shipwrecked, leaving only Xiaohe and Yixing alive — Yixing with the awkward discovery that the eunuch who has just been pressganged into taking an oath to be his bodyguard is actually a girl — and they then get kidnapped by pirates. Oh, and the mob is still after them, now on the high seas.

Maybe that myth might just be true after all — and maybe Yixing's best bet is to renew the mandate of the goddess before it's too late.

CHARACTERISATION: Yixing starts off as a pleasant, sort of placid or even passive character — not in a bad way, but more in the sense tha
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter