Sulky

❤ Happy Days ❤
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SS-21: I know this is an inappropriate time for such a fic, but honestly, after what happeneed, I needed to write to distract myself. I'm not going to post any condolences here because I don't want my co-author to come here and read it and be reminded of something she's so affected by. This oneshot is for my db5k_Cutie and I want to flood her with positive feelings. If all of you like this fic, send lots of positive messages to db5k_cutie and tell her there are happier things in this world. Thanks in advance.

“Okay Min. We’re here.” A sleepy Changmin looked peeked above the window and was greeted by his grandmother’s face. She opened the door and took his bag, waiting for him to step out. The last time she tried to help him, he threw a ‘I’m a big boy’ tantrum.

But she just wanted him to know she cares for him. The past few weeks, she would see her grandson every morning looking unlike the lively child he is. Just like now, as Changmin slid off the seat and jumped on the cement path outside the Kims residence. He slowly turned around and looked at his father from the still open car door.

Yunho waved at his boy with a smile, “Be a good boy okay. Bye.” He looked at his mother-in-law, “See you in the evening Omoni.” Yunho gave her a short bow which she returned affectionately before closing the door.

Changmin didn’t even respond to his father in his sleepy daze when he saw the door close and his father drive off. He kept staring in the direction of his father’s car till it was out of sight.

Kim Soojin watched her grandson’s forlorn face with pity. It was an everyday occurrence now but it didn’t make one get used to it. She combed Changmin’s thick hair, considering taking him for a haircut later. “Come on Minnie. Let’s get you fed before you’re late for school.”

Without a word, Changmin turns and walks the all familiar path up to his grandparents’ front door. Soojin looks at his slumped shoulders and sighs at how a four-year-old can be so burdened.

_

“Look what Halmeoni made you Minnie!” Soojin placed a plate of waffles dripping with syrup and fruits to make a face. “It’s your favourite! And here, you can have extra whipped cream.” She piles a mountain of cream on top of the waffles just as her husband walks in. “Oh hey! I’ll get your plate.”

Daeyoung nods in acknowledgement before he bends down in front of his grandson, “hey sport!” Changmin mumbles something that sounds like a good morning. Daeyoung internally sighs before he plasters a big grin, “you know they have a new arcade down the street. You want to try it later.”

Daeyoung can’t describe the feeling of seeing his grandson’s smile, albeit a small one, after so long. When Changmin nods, Daeyoung ruffles his hair and sits on his spot at the table. Soojin puts a plate of waffles in front of him while he’s sipping his coffee.

Both note their grandson poking the blueberry with a plastic fork aimlessly. “he barely touched dinner yesterday.” Soojin remarked in a whisper. “His appetite loss is getting worse.”

“it’s because he can’t enjoy anything, not even food, because he’s missing his parents.” Daeyoung shook his head and dug into his own breakfast thinking about his son.

Their son, Jaejoong jumped back into a job for the first time since he married. He was one of the most sought-after creative minds in the design industry. But he took a break from that world when he tied the knot with Yunho, his boyfriend since college.

Six years later, Jaejoong’s old colleague contacted him. He had started his own label and wanted Jaejoong to be the creative director. The position and offer was much better than his last job and he’d be a fool to pass it up. So Jaejoong grabbed it.

Being a fledgling company, the work was more than Jaejoong expected which resulted in long hours. And Yunho had a busy schedule as an attorney anyway. So Jaejoong’s parents volunteered to babysit Changmin while they are working. Even then, Jaejoong and Yunho didn’t want to impose and insist that Changmin goes to daycare and stay with his grandparents after school till either of his parents pick him up in evening.

That was a great plan until Changmin found out his classmates get to spend more time with their parents than he has got to with his own lately. He hasn’t even seen them much in the recent weeks. They drop him off at his grandparents very early in the morning, then he spends five hours of the day in daycare. His grandfather picks him up and he spends the rest of his evening at his parents home with his grandparents before bedtime comes calling. He’s already sleeping when his parents are home and his grandparents leave.

“I guess we should talk to Joongie.” By that, Daeyoung means Soojin needs to talk. He’s not good with heart-to-hearts and his wife knows that. But still, she’s going to roll her eyes so he sees it.

_

When Daeyoung arrives at the school, he notices that the place is decorated beautifully for Christmas. There are boards lined up in the hallways with holiday artwork by the kids. He immediately spots the childish Santa Claus mural made of cotton and an old red shirt on the ‘Star of the Week’ board. He feels a sense of misplaced pride because he had a hand in making that with his grandson last week.

“Harabeoji!” he feels a creature ram into his legs and turns around. “Yah! I’m old. Have mercy on my knees.” Despite his playful chiding, Daeyoung straightens up his grandson who had fallen on his .

Changmin giggled and sloppily moved his longish hair from his eyes. But it was difficult because of his gloves. He tried to blow it off like he’d seen his classmate Kyuhyun do but he ended up spitting up his nose. “Eungh!” he slapped his hands on his nose at the funny feeling and then giggled.

Seeing him a little more vibrant than usual today made Daeyoung happy. But he’s also curious to know what happened to make him so chirpy.

“Changminnie!” a young lady, about as old as his fourth daughter came running to them,  “Yah Jung Changmin! You do not run off like that ever. I was so worried.” The woman, a teacher from her apron, scolded.

“Sorry!” Changmin said with an extra touch of the innocent eyes and pout that has been passed down the Kim family for generations and the bane of the rest of the world. The woman now gets how everyone felt in Shrek when Puss in Boots did that and she melted. “It’s okay honey. Don’t do that next time.” She looked at Daeyoung curiously, “you are not Mr Jung.”

“Uh no…I’m Kim Daeyoung, Changmin’s grandfather. You can ask Seo Hyori-ssi if you want. She knows me.” The teacher looked from Daeyoung to Changmin for confirmation and the boy nodded, “he’s my Harabeoji.”

“Oh okay.” The teacher greeted Daeyoung and he responded likewise, “Sorry if I was too rude.”

“No, I get it. It’s a good thing you're making sure. If I may ask, I’ve never seen you before.”

“I was on leave for a while. I returned a few weeks ago.” The teacher pulled out a bunch of envelopes from her apron’s pocket and handed him one, “Since you’re here, I might as well give this to you. Can you pass this to Changmin’s parents? And yes, you’re invited too.”

Daeyoung looked at the green envelope with snowflakes and candy pictures on it. The words ‘Winter Festival’ on it not making him as excited as it should. “Parents huh?”

“Yeah, just a little party before we close for winter break. All the kids are putting on solo acts in a cute costume. Changminnie, what are you doing?”

Changmin giggled excitedly till his eyes were almost closed, “I’m Bambi!” his teacher grinned with him. Despite their infectious atmosphere, Daeyoung felt an incoming sense of hopelessness.

_

“Minnie-yah, it’s time for bed.” Soojin called for the fourth time in that hour. But Changmin adamantly sat in front of the TV to keep himself awake.

“let it be. It’s Saturday tomorrow anyway.” Daeyoung remarked, passing by his wife and sitting on the couch with his grandson. Hey, he could enjoy Looney Tunes too.

“Kids…” Soojin shook her head fondly. She meant both her grandson and her child-at-heart husband.

Just then, the doorbell his heard and Daeyoung watches Changmin squeak happily. He watches in amusement as Changmin grabs the envelope from his teacher on the coffee table and runs to the foyer.

Soojin opened the door, fully expecting her son. “hi honey-”

“Sorry Umma, can’t talk now. In a hurry.” Jaejoong hurriedly enters and Soojin notes he’s not got his stuff with him. She dully glances outside and sees Jaejoong’s car outside with two other people in it.

Jaejoong walks across the foyer towards the stairs when Changmin toddles over. “Ummaaa~!” He squeals almost like he’s seeing his mother after years. He’s holding the envelope in front of him but Jaejoong barely notices as he plants a kiss on his crown. “Hi baby. How’re you still up?” Jaejoong doesn’t even wait for an answer as he jogs up the stairs.

Changmin’s hands and smiles drop after his mother’s lacklustre affection. Seeing that, Daeyoung and Soojin exchange glances. Soojin walks upstairs in search of her son just in time to see him step out of the study with two files.

“Where are you going Jaejoong?” She asked him barely keeping her displeasure out of her voice.

“we finally got a meeting with Kwon Yuri’s reps to endorse for us. I can’t miss this.” Jaejoong said in a hurry while checking if he got the right files.

“But Joongie-”

“Umma, can you stay over tonight? Yunho is working late too. Thanks. Got to go.” And with that Jaejoong was running down the stairs.

“Umma?” Changmin’s meek voice was heard just as Jaejoong was about to get the door. Jaejoong picked him up and pecked his cheek. “Umma will see you later alright. Don’t stay up too late.” He put his son down and left. For the second time that day, Changmin watched his parent’s car drive away leaving him alone.

Soojin came down and put her hand on her husband’s shoulder, giving it a squeeze. She knew Daeyoung has never been more disappointed in his son before. She’s too. But they should worry about their grandson now. but before they could move, Changmin ran past them and up the stairs.

“Minnie!” Soojin ran after him but he beat to her to his room. She however got the door before he could lock it, not that he remembered too. She peeked inside and found him face down on his bed his shoulders shaking from the sobs that escaped every few seconds. She found the envelope on the floor and picked it up. She didn’t close the door just in case, but let Changmin be. Nothing she can say to him will make him feel better.

When she made it downstairs, she saw Daeyoung just get off the phone after thanking someone. “Who did you call?”

Daeyoung gave her a determined look. “reinforcement.”

_

Yunho woke up the next day when he could no longer fight the urge to pee. He glanced at his side and found Jaejoong monopolize the blanket. No wonder he was cold.

He cleaned up a bit in the bathroom and returned to his bed to laze around. Yunho tried to take back some of the blanket for himself waking Jaejoong.

“hmm… sleep….more…” Jaejoong grunted, rolling on his back.

“What time did you come home?” Yunho asked, his voice so hoarse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter