Let's dress up the Christmas tree

❤ Happy Days ❤
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is the season of joy and love. The time of the year when people are warm and cosy in their winter finest, spending time with the family and indulging in the pleasure of giving.

The splendid and lavish Jung mansion is looking all the more bright with the bright lights decorating the building and the long driveway leading up to it. Passers-by couldn't take their eyes of the decorated mansion and children gaped from the large steel gates.

Inside, was another story all together.

"Are you people done yet?" Junsu whined at her husband who in her opinion, defacing the Christmas tree.

“If you helped then this would be faster.” Yoochun retorts.

“Who do you think has been passing the ornaments? Besides, I have to pack all these presents. I’m multitasking here.” And to emphasise, Junsu noisily wraps a box of crayons.

“You two, stand down.” Yunho orders his brother and brother-in-law but it’s in good nature. This bantering is their way of loving each other. But yes, they are pressed for time and are hurrying to be done before the 25th.

The target was Christmas Eve but the 23rd of December passed four hours ago. They were tired from their last minute shopping yesterday. So they rested away the tiredness and the whole family was up before sunrise, well not everyone. The youngest Jung is sleeping in his room while the family decorates the living room for the holiday.

For the family at the head of a multimillion dollar corporation, December begins with major charity ventures. The Jungs go all out in spreading the Christmas cheer to the less privileged which leaves them hurrying to finish their own preparations till the last minute. But they always make it before the 25th.

It’s a good thing the army of house staff decorates the mansion from the outside. However, Yunho and Yoochun were raised to always partake in the joys of Christmas with the family, which includes decorating the tree, food and presents together.

“Guys, look! I’m finally done!” Jaejoong comes from the kitchen holding a gingerbread house. He places it on the table for them to enjoy later.

“Wow Joongie! Your eight hours of hard work really paid off.” Junsu whistles his admiration.

“And my hungry baby is going to finish it in eight seconds.” Jaejoong jokes and the four laugh. Upstairs, said hungry baby sneezes in his sleep and wakes up.

“Joongie, just see what these two are doing to the tree.” Junsu complains and points at the messy tree.

“Aish… I told you the streamers go around the tree. Don’t just throw them on it.” Jaejoong scolds.

“We didn’t throw them. they keep falling off.” Yunho pouted.

“Because they’re the wrong ones. These go above the windows and the stairway. Get the lighter ones so the tree can take the weight. And while you're at it, put the heavier ornaments higher. The long branches at the bottom are bending by their weight.” Yunho and Yoochun scrambled to do as Jaejoong told and what a difference it made.

“Joongie, can we have something to eat?” Junsu asks patting his growling tummy.

“Yeah… we all skipped dinner because we were so tired yesterday. Yesterday’s lunch only sustains so far.” Yoochun’s bottom lip jutted out.

“You call that lunch!” Yunho snorted. “We only ate croissants and coffee before we rushed to the next store. The only one who ate well was Minnie.”

“Because the baby's mama only packs food for his food monster.” Junsu points a thumb at Jaejoong.

“What? He’s my baby.” Jaejoong defends. “I’ll whip up some omelettes. I don’t want you to fill your stomachs before our special breakfast and yes there’s lots of bacon.” The other three cheered. “Till then you guys make do with cookie scraps from my latest batch.”

“Why scraps?” Yoochun whined.

“Because the good cookies are for Christmas.” Jaejoong declares and heads to the kitchen. On the way though, he pauses by the window and looks outside with a frown.

“Something wrong Boo?” Yunho asks. He drops the bells he was holding, ready to run and hug his wife if needed.

“Nothing… I’m just wondering… it snowed heavily last night. Would my new saplings be okay?” Jaejoong thought aloud. The former chef wasn’t involved so much in the business like Yunho, Yoochun and Junsu. And given the vast amount of land attached to the mansion, the bored housewife decided to take up landscaping. That is if his newly purchased saplings survive the weather before he gives up.

“I told you winter is not a good time for landscaping.” Junsu hollered and held a pillow up as shield when Jaejoong glared at him.

Jaejoong turned back to the window, trying to see his plants but all he can see are the short noble trees sitting in their pots beside the driveway. Jaejoong was about to leave but a tiny body running outside in the cold made him gasp and run outside.

“Achooo~!” Changmin sneezed and sat up. He grabbed a tissue from the nightstand kept by his mother for his winter sniffles. After cleaning his nose, he jumps out of his bed and slips his feet into his warm slippers.

He contemplates wearing his sweater or not because his mother keeps the house so warm, it’s like an Australian Christmas indoors. Before he makes his decision however he’s pressing his face on the cool window glass.

“It’s snooow~!” his eyes are gleaming seeing the sheet of white on their lawn. Even his play castle is covered with snow.

The five year old had only just learned about Christmas in school before the winter break and he loves it. His Christmas fantasy is all about snow, sweets and shining decoration.

Grabbing his sweater, Changmin ran down the stairs. He was hoping he can play in this first snow of the season. Maybe his fun uncle Yoochun will join him.

He goes to the lounge hearing the voices. He sees his parents and uncles busy talking that they don’t notice he’s there.

His eyes fall on the gingerbread house and he was ready to throw himself on it before the sparkly ornaments came into view. However, the tree was distracting.

He’s seen beautiful trees like the one they had for their Christmas party in school and yesterday at the mall. That green blur with the mess of shiny bells and fake candy is not a Christmas tree.

But he knows where’s the Christmas tree. As a class activity, he and his friends all hung a star on a bare tree in the school yard. A similar bare tree is just outside, two in fact.

So lost were the adults in following his mother’s decorating orders, that they didn’t notice Changmin take a few tree ornaments from the box beside the couch on which Junsu was seated.

Changmin tucked a striped candy, a golden star, a blue bauble and a snowman. He even put on the Santa hat for the real Christmas feel and took the red and silver bells pair. Holding the bells with both hands, he toddled out the front door clad in only his pyjamas, a thin sweater and slippers none being the wiser.

“Hello Mr Tree!” Changmin cordially bowed to the short noble fir that came a few days ago. he pushed back the bob of his hat that fell on his face but when he felt a cold waft of air, he pulled the hat lower.

“I’m Changmin.” he waves and shows the bells. “I’m going to dress you up okay?” He explains and just then the passing breeze shook the short branches as if saying ‘yes’ to the boy.

Changmin stared at the bells. He held it at different angles, turned it over and under but he can’t figure out h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter