Melon Madness

❤ Happy Days ❤
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Melon Madness

Yunho glanced at his watch and noted that their friends will be here any moment. He took a last look at the barbecue arrangements and entered the house, relieved to be away from the hot climate outside.

It’s summer and the Jungs finally caved in to their friends’ pressure and are hosting a pool party. Their pool is not as huge as the one in the main Jung mansion where Yunho’s parents live. But this house designed by his architect wife is pretty fancy. And the palatial Jung house doesn’t have an indoor pool perfect to party in on a hot summer day like Jung Jaejoong’s edgy aesthetic home has. The beautiful gazebo Jaejoong had built last month in the backyard adjoining the pool area is perfect for some barbecue.

10 minutes outside and Yunho mourns the sweaty moisture of his white shirt. He’s changed twice already and doesn’t want to again. he heads upstairs to find his wife but chances upon the cutest little nugget instead.

On his and Jaejoong’s king-size bed is their almost one-year-old son, Changmin clad in a baby blue shirt and diaper. Even the sloppy demolishing of the banana doesn’t take away the cuteness, at least not for a Changmin-struck Yunho Appa.

Yunho grabs a bunch of tissues from the nightstand and crouches in front of his son who gurgles a cute “Appa!” at him. “Aigoo! Look at you!” Yunho wipes the remains of the banana on Changmin’s tiny hands and lips. He notices something and dabs another clean tissue on Changmin’s forehead dotted with sweat, “Are you feeling hot baby boo?”

“I think he is.” Yunho doesn’t have to glance behind his shoulder to know it’s his wife. He’s playfully growling at his son for showing a bigger reaction for his Umma. The child only gurgled at his father’s presence but he’s bouncing and babbling in demand for his mother.

Jaejoong, who matched Yunho with his blue jeans and white sleeveless shirt, had other things in mind for his son. So he didn’t immediately pick him up as usual. “I found him all sweaty and grumpy when I went to his room. I think the air-conditioning is not working in his room. it’s hotter there.”

“I’ll call the maintenance guy after the party.” Yunho tickled Changmin’s belly, “so someone’s going to sleep with Appa and Umma tonight.” Whether the excited squeal was at the prospect of sleeping with his parents or the tickling, can’t be said.

“Yunho, he pukes, you clean.” Jaejoong warned and Yunho immediately pulled his hands away from Changmin. Jaejoong pulled up Changmin’s shirt and the baby felt more energetic being free from the clammy shirt. He’s already waddling and crawling around the bed before his parents could catch him. but Yunho caught him just in time before he slipped off the edge of the bed. “What a monkey!” Jaejoong groaned, taking Changmin from him, “I’m going to give him a bath. You can handle the others?”

“Yup.” Yunho helped Jaejoong filled the baby bathtub and watched him bathe their son for a few minutes till he heard the doorbell. “I guess they’re here.”  He kept a towel handy near Jaejoong and went downstairs to let everyone in.

Yunho could already hear Heechul and Junsu’s voice and they sound like they’re calming Junsu’s baby, Taemin. He quickly opened the door and Junsu whizzed past him shouting “diaper emergency”. He was already up the stairs to Changmin’s nursery, familiar with the changing table.

Yunho, unfazed by screaming babies and diapers, calmly turned to Heechul. “Kim.” He deadpanned with a single nod.

“Jung.” Heechul returned the gesture in similar tone. Yunho and Heechul have a frenemy relationship. Junsu, the youngest Kim brother, had taken to Yunho very well when Jaejoong introduced Yunho to the family in college. However, the eldest Heechul was another story. He and Yunho were in the same year but not exactly close. They just happened to know of each other’s existence. And being overprotective of his younger brothers, Heechul doesn’t hold back on the snark when it comes to Yunho or Yoochun, Junsu’s husband. To this day, Yunho believes that Heechul stole his best friend, Siwon as revenge for stealing his little brother.

The frenemies sizing up for today’s round of Yunho vs Heechul was interrupted when both felt a tug on their pants. They looked down to find Heechul’s four-year-old daughter, Heemi pouting at them. “I want chicken.” Heechul rolled her eyes at her sassy daughter. Heechul still wonders where Heemi gets the diva streak from. Siwon is such a gentleman and Heechul is a real angel (read: devil) on earth.

Yunho shakes his head at Heechul’s diva behaviour with his own kid. He pats Heemi’s head, “let’s get that barbecue started.” He nudges her towards the party area with Heechul in tow, “where’s your Dad?”

“Daddy got lost.” At Heemi’s response, Yunho looked questioningly at Heechul. He wouldn’t put it past diva Kim to ditch his best friend somewhere.

As if hearing his thoughts, Heechul scoffed, “Siwon wanted to buy some stuff for the party. some ‘Summer must-haves’. We came first with Suie. The Greasy Forehead is looking for a parking spot where the car won’t heat up.”

On cue, Yoochun strutted in holding two dozen cans of beer. “Hey man! I parked in that empty shed. Is that okay?”

“It’s where we park the Range Rover. It’s in the shop.” Yunho waved it off in an okay and pointed at the beer, “Chun, you know I have enough drinks in the house for everyone.”

“Who said this is for everyone?” to his credit, Yoochun looked appalled at the suggestion. He walked towards the pool area looking at his friend like he’s an alien, “I have a two-month-old who doesn’t know humans sleep in the night. I need every drop of alcohol I can get.”

“What a drunk…” Heechul scoffed. “Mama? Can I have what Forehead Samchon is having?” Heemi doesn’t understand why her mother gave her that death glare.

~~~

By the time Jaejoong came down with Changmin, the rest of their guests Yihan, Woobin, Geunseuk, the Kims’ cousin, Hyunjoong, Yunho’s sister, Jihye and their cousins Jessica and Nicole were partying away. everyone had already soaked in the pool and the second round of barbecue was already on.

“We were starting to think you weren’t going to join us.” Yoochun whined but he’s more focussed on squishing his little nephew’s cheeks.

“I know. But this little one was hungry.” To prove Jaejoong’s point, Changmin made a grab for the piece of sausage on a toothpick Yoochun was holding. Jaejoong took a step away from him so Changmin can’t reach for it. “did you put Tae in Minnie’s crib?”

“Actually Junsu did.” Yoochun said, pointing in the direction of his wife lazing doing a backstroke in the pool, “Sorry. Should’ve asked you first.”

Jaejoong shook his head, “Nah! That’s not it. The air conditioner in Minnie’s room is not working. I shifted Taemin to the crib in the master bedroom in case you don’t find him where you left him.” he looked around and frowned, “Where’s Siwon?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter