GAMENIGHT

Accidentally Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dara’s fingers tensed around her phone as the front door opened. She sent the text she’d been typing to Seunghyun off before dropping it in her lap. Seconds later, Dongwook entered the family room and their eyes briefly met. To most people a quick glance couldn’t tell them much, but for us it spokes volume.

 

A lump formed in Dara’s throat as her brother broke their connection and looked away. She expected the anger – so hot it almost scalded her, but she hadn’t anticipated what lay underneath. Hurt manifested itself into an open wound, so raw and throbbing, she felt her own soul ache in response.

 

“Sit and watch TV with us.” Her mom said from the couch, cuddling next to their dad.

 

“I’m going to my room. I have homework.”

 

“Sit” it wasn’t a request this time. Tension hummed through the air as he shuffled towards Dara and sat down.

 

“Isn’t it nice? The whole family together?”

 

Dara’s lips twitched at the pleasant word. Out the corner of her eye, she saw Dongwook trying to hide his own smile. If they were on speaking terms, they would have made faces, silently poking fun at their mother. Instead they ignored each other.

 

“Make sure to be home tomorrow” their mom added. “Were going to have a game night.”

 

Dongwook spoke up. “Actually, I have—“

 

“Cancel them”

 

“But—“

 

Her eyes latched onto him, narrowing as she said. “I have put it off for three weeks now. We’re going to sit down as a family and have some fun. Am I understood?”

 

Dongwook nodded. They both knew not to disagree when their mother took that tone.

 

“Excellent and Dara, you invite Seunghyun over”

 

“What?!” Dara and Dongwook shouted. Did their mom want to start WWIII?

 

“I am tired of this nonsense between you two. You’re siblings. I will not stand by and watch you drift farther and farther apart. Dongwook, it’s time to bury the hatchet with that boy and get over this stupid rivalry.”

 

“it’s not stupid” Dongwook mumbled. He slouched into the couch, his face mustered up in defiance. “I don’t see why I have to wave the white flag just because she’s dating that jack-“

 

“Dongwook” their dad warned. Cutting him off. “You don’t have to be friends with him but I expect you to be civil.”

 

“Fine.. But why does he have to come over here—to my house? Can I be civil from a distance?”

 

“Your house? I didn’t know it was your name on the mortgage. Great news honey, we can quit our jobs because our son is going to start paying the bills.” Their mom said.

 

“Oh good. I’ve wanted to take vacation for a while now. Maybe Barbados? Or what about Puerto Rico?”

 

Dongwook expression turned sour. “You’re not funny”

 

“Really? Because I think were hilarious.”

 

“You know what I mean. I don’t want him here in my space! It’s not fair to me”

 

The humor on their dad’s eyes faded. “I have worked hard to provide for you and your sister. I have given you everything because I want you to have the opportunity to experience things I never got too, but don’t think for one second that I won’t take it all away. This is my house and I make the rules. If you don’t like it, then you can leave.”

 

“Maybe I will”

 

Their dad’s gaze darkened as his face grew thunderous. “Don’t push it Dongwook. I have been pretty lenient with you so far but my patience is quickly evaporating. I will not tolerate any attitude. Are we clear?”

 

A muscle in his cheek twitched as he bit out an angry. “Clear”

 

“You can go to your room now” Dongwook shot out of his seat and ran to his room and slammed his door shut.

 

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” she asked concerned about her brother.

 

“We want to know the boy who’s dating our daughter. Don’t worry about your brother” her mom answered.

 

“Okay..” was the only word she said as she know nothing will happen if she insist on it more.

 

--

Dara

I have a proposal. Tomorrow night, you and me spend a couple hours together at my house… with my fambam? What do you think?

 

Seunghyun

I accept but you typed it wrong. it’s supposed to say ‘without my family’

 

Dara

Unfortunately, the parents and my brother are included in this offer. We’re having game night and they want you to come.

 

Seunghyun

As wonderful as I am, somehow I have hard time to believing Dongwook wants me to come over.

 

Dara

He’ll be on his best behavior.. Well sort of. Just don’t provoke him.

 

Seunghyun

I never provoke him, baby doll. I am the definition of innocence. I embody purity.

 

Dara

Right… I’m sure if I looked it up in dictionary id find a picture of you next to the good ole’ mary.

 

Seunghyun

Well, I wouldn’t go that far if you know what I mean. What time should I be there?

Surprised, she reread the text to make sure she understood correctly, she was positive he would come with a reason to decline.

 

Dara

It starts at 7. You really want to come? You don’t have too, you know. I can come up with an excuse.

 

Seunghyun

If it means getting to spend more time with you, I’m willing to put up with your idiot brother. No provoking guaranteed.

 

A weird pressure burned in her chest as she read his words. She’d been stressing about him and the big football game ever since he asked her a couple of days ago. She was still unclear about what to do, but the fact that he was willing to deal with her brother to spend time with her… well that spokes volume. He wasn’t just saying his feelings he was showing them and it means everything to her.

 

Seunghyun

PS. I retain the right to bring up this benevolent act of generosity at a future time when you’re mad at me.

 

Dara

Planning on inciting my anger often?

 

Seunghyun

Let’s just say I like to keep my bases covered. I miss you already baby doll

 

Dara

I miss you too.. Good night

 

She grinned at his impudence. She could see why her brother and him didn’t get along. They were both too arrogant and brash. It was like two alpha dogs trying to occupy the same space. However they have to put aside their egos for one night and get along.

 

--

 

Dara’s head craned out her bedroom window as she watched the road, searching for Seunghyun’s car. He would be arriving at any moment and she wanted to talk to him before interacting with her crazy family.

 

A couple minutes passed and then she saw his Rover. Racing down the stairs, s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter