Epilogue: Traveler

Constant and Changing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

August, 2023

It was pitch black outside as Amber drove her Jeep down a deserted stretch of highway. Krystal was on the verge of falling asleep in the back seat. She had wanted to sit in the passenger seat next to Amber to keep her entertained during the long drive, but Krystal knew she didn't even have enough energy at the moment to keep herself awake. Therefore, she relinquished her seat to Luna.

Even though 14 years had passed since their debut as f(x), Luna was still the same bright vitamin that she always was. Over the roar of the Jeep's engine, even while skimming the borders of sleep, Krystal could hear Luna's voice clearly talking and making sure Amber stayed alert. Luna cracked the passenger side window a bit to get some fresh air into the car, letting in a cool blast of night air. Krystal instinctively sidled up to Victoria in the backseat for warmth and the older girl responded by her hair lovingly.

Krystal could hear Luna telling Amber all about her latest musical, which was performing well. Luna was the most active member music-wise these days. 4 years had passed since f(x) had unofficially retired right after their ten year anniversary comeback. No official disbandment was announcement, but the lack of group comebacks was just as loud. The members no longer saw each other as often as they used to, but they kept in close contact as much as their schedules allowed.

It was better that f(x) wasn't officially disbanded because Krystal still liked to think of them as a cohesive team even though they were typically scattered across the world. And on a day like today, the first time in a long time that all the members were together, it was easier to feel that f(x) still existed. Today was a day for catching up, for having fun, for remembering what it was like to be young.

Amber started to ask Luna about her daughter. Like all the members, Luna had grown up and gotten married. And she was already well on her way to growing the big family she always wanted with a two year old son and now a nearly one year old daughter as well.

"Hey hey," Victoria quickly interrupted upon hearing Luna's daughter's name being mentioned. "We promised not to talk about kids and spouses today," she reminded them. Today, and only today, they were not allowed to talk about family. Family was important to all the f(x) members, but talking about family also meant acknowledging all the responsibilities that came along with being wives and mothers. Since this was a rare chance for all of them to recapture their youth, family talk was off limits for one night. 

"Fiiiine," Amber relented. "But tomorrow I wanna hear all about how your marriage is going."

"Fine, I've got plenty to tell you guys anyway," Victoria agreed, patting their obedient driver on the head. Victoria had married a fellow Chinese actor earlier in the year. It was the talk of the town in China as well in their f(x) group chat. The members had all taken part in the ceremony, but they hadn't seen Victoria since the wedding and there was only so much that could be discussed in text format. They had a lot to catch up on tomorrow.

Victoria settled back into her seat, accidentally bumping into Krystal as she did so. The maknae sat up fully, giving up on trying to fall asleep for the moment.

"Look, you made me wake the baby," Victoria joked, pulling Krystal closer.

Krystal laughed. Victoria was still as playful as she had always been. Her major successes as an actress and singer in China hadn't swelled her head at all. If she was considered the queen of China when they were younger, there are no words to describe her massive popularity now. Empress of China? Supreme ruler? Victoria had many nicknames these days, but she was still Vic-omma to f(x).

"How many miles left until we get there?" Krystal asked.

"Mmm...10 miles?" Amber estimated. She glanced over at Luna who confirmed the number. They would be coming up on their desired coordinates soon.

"What if they paved over the spot and built a road over it?" Luna worried.

"We'll dig through it," Amber said confidently.

"What if there's a giant statue on it?" Luna asked.

"We'll knock it down and then dig through it," Victoria replied.

"What if it's not there any more?" Luna murmured softly.

They were going to dig up the time capsule that they had buried in 2013 when they went to New Zealand to film their variety show "Amazing f(x)", fulfilling the promise they made to their fans and to each other to recover the time capsule after 10 years. But 10 years was a long time, and a lot could have happened to the burial site since then. Even f(x)'s member lineup had not been able to withstand the test of time, so how could they expect that a container made of plastic would have survived?

"It's there," Krystal said firmly, without a trace of uncertainty in her voice. "I feel it with all my heart. All of our feelings are right where we left them, suspended in time. A constant in this changing world."

Amber looked up and glanced at Krystal in the rearview mirror. They shared a meaningful look while Luna and Victoria admired how deep and sentimental their Krystal had become over the years. But the words Krystal said held a deeper meaning than Luna and Victoria realized because they were actually reminiscent of the wedding vows she and Amber exchanged with each other about two years ago.

The two partners gazed at each other for a moment longer, both of their hearts still moved by memories of their vows to each other. Even when everything else changes, you and I will always be constant. It was a marriage that brought them so much happiness over the years. It was a marriage that promised to bring them further happiness still.

"I can't believe we're really doing this!" Luna said excitedly bouncing in the passenger seat. "Thanks for making time to do this everyone. I know we're a little late, but late is better than never."

Everyone in the Jeep murmured with agreement. If they were being precise about the timing, the right moment to dig up the time capsule would've been during April of that year. It was now the beginning of August and they were about 3 months overdue, but it couldn't be helped. Life was busy for all of the f(x) members.

Finding the time to be together for a full weekend took an incredible amount of coordination. But working around Luna's busy musical schedule and Krystal and Victoria's acting schedules, they had somehow made the impossible happen. All of them were here together now, and their family was complete.

"Do you remember anything you wrote in your letters to us?" Victoria laughed giddly, nudging Krystal playfully with her shoulder. "I bet you're gonna get so embarrassed later."

"Did we put letters in there?" Krystal asked blankly. "Wow, I'm so old now that I don't even remember what we buried."

"You think you're old? What does that make me?" Victoria asked, shaking her 7 year younger dongsaeng by the shoulders.

"Yah, why aren't you guys letting Soojung sleep?" a groggy voice asked from beside Krystal. "She's sick. Let her rest."

"Sorry," Victoria replied with a smile, pushing Krystal gently back into the seat where Sulli received her self-proclaimed twin with open arms. "I got carried away." Victoria paused for a moment and then reached over Krystal to pinch Sulli on the thigh. "And where do you get off saying 'yah' to me. You maknaes are the worst!" Victoria complained affectionately.

"Sorry unnie, I got carried away, too," Sulli apologized. She pulled Krystal closer so that the younger girl could rest her head on Sulli's shoulder comfortably. "Here chingu-ya, lie down with me for a bit. Hyung will wake us up when we get there."

"Right, go back to sleep, twins," Amber called out from the front seat.

Luna took off her jacket and passed it to Sulli as a blanket while Victoria took off hers and did the same for Krystal, tucking in both of their maknaes with a motherly smile.

For Krystal and Sulli, the journey to rebuild their friendship was difficult after the conversation during Halloween of 2015 in which Sulli chose not to acknowledge Krystal and Amber's relationship. A tangible distance separated their hearts that day and grew wider as the silence between them grew as well. It was Amber who started to nudge them closer together again by sending Sulli an invitation to their wedding.

Learning that Sulli accepted the invitation was the first step in reopening doors that had closed between the two maknaes of f(x). And once communications were reestablished, Krystal found that it was as though they had never spent any time apart. Their friendship was always so effortless while they promoted together in their youth. And even now it felt effortless still.

"Feeling OK?" Sulli whispered into Krystal's ear, the genuine concern evident in her voice. Krystal smiled and gave Sulli's warm hand a little squeeze.

As though trying to prove that she still knew Krystal like they shared a single mind, Sulli surprised Krystal earlier that day at the airport. Krystal and Amber had waited together for the other members to arrive in New Zealand. Luna and Sulli were flying in from South Korea together while Krystal and Amber had arrived the night before. Victoria was taking care of some last minute business in China and would arrive a few hours later.

Upon seeing Luna and Sulli enter the passenger pickup area of the New Zealand airport, the 4 youngest members of f(x) rushed to greet each other with warm hugs and excited chattering. Krystal moved in to give Sulli a hug, not having seen the the other girl in several weeks, but Sulli paused and gave Krystal a curious, appraising look.

When Sulli finally leaned into Krystal for a hug, she brought her lips close to Krystal's ears and whispered, "You're pregnant, aren't you?"

Krystal pulled back quickly, her eyes wide with surprise. Sulli was in fact correct with her guess, but this was relatively brand new information that she and Amber had been planning to keep a secret, at least until Krystal safely exited the first trimester. She glanced over at Luna and was relieved to see that Luna hadn't overheard the news. She then glanced back at Sulli who had taken Krystal's reaction as a confirmation.

"I didn't know you and hyung were planning to have kids already. I won't tell anyone. Congratulations!" Sulli said, leaning back into Krystal's ear. She then winked and wandered closer to Amber and Luna to wait for her turn to hug Amber...

Krystal smiled fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter