Step

Constant and Changing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Following the successful first day of Dimension 4 in Seoul, f(x) held another two performances of their first solo concert. Each day was filled with more smiles, more laugher, and more moments that Krystal wanted to remember for the rest of her life.

Their fans surprised them on the second day by filling the air with periwinkle paper planes as they performed "Airplane" mid-way through the concert. Krystal smiled at the delicate aircrafts that flew across the concert arena, each one adorned the loving feelings of the fan that threw it.

And on day three, f(x) finally gave their fandom its name. Seven years of waiting culminated in an affectionate name that the four members had chosen specifically for the group of people who loved them unconditionally: MeU. The name was sweet enough to make them cringe, and yet Krystal loved the name that much more. f(x) was a group that only came back once a year, making it difficult for them to stay connected with their fans. But their fans were always waiting for them, loyally supporting them, and f(x) was always thankful and longing to see their fans. f(x) and their fans together, Me + U. MeU.

The Korean MeU cheered their hearts out for f(x) on day 3 and Krystal tried to absorb every moment fully. During the encore performances, the MeU thanked f(x) by waving banners with a heartfelt message.

[Thank you for being with us.]

Krystal picked up a banner that had made its way to the stage and smiled fondly at the phrase. Shouldn't it have been f(x) who was thanking fans instead of the other way around?

And at the end of the concert on day 3, with only two days to go until Victoria's birthday, Amber, Luna, and Krystal surprised their Vic-omma by performing "Surprise Party" for her on stage. Krystal held hands with Victoria as they warmly sang for her, congratulating her on her birthday and thanking her for all she had done and would do for them in the years to come. The members smiled and laughed and waved to their fans until the last possible moment before the concert ended.

It was a beautiful night for f(x) and MeU. And the night was only made more beautiful for Krystal when her extended family appeared to congratulate her after the concert ended. Krystal introduced her entire family to Amber. She didn't refer to Amber as her girlfriend, but seeing her relatives treating Amber warmly made Krystal happy.

And true to her mother's word, Mama Jung prepared a family dinner the day after the final concert and invited Amber over to the house. Dinner that night was Korean beef, Krystal's favorite. Krystal, who was still staying at Amber's apartment, had come over early to help her mother prepare side dishes for their meal, and had literally salivated the entire time while she thought of the delicious Korean beef they would be eating. 

Mama Jung was more conversational than Krystal had expected her to be while the two of them prepared the food together. It was almost like time had rewound itself and Krystal had never confessed to her mother that she was attracted to women or that she was in love with Amber. With the way that Mama Jung cheerfully discussed family, fashion, and current events, it was like the relationship between Krystal and her mother had never changed.

And yet Krystal couldn't help but worry that something might be wrong in that cheerful atmosphere. Her mother had promised to try to accept her feelings for Amber, but she hadn't asked a single thing about her relationship with Amber all afternoon. The young girl wondered if her mother's approach was to tolerate the situation rather than try to understand and learn more about their relationship.

"It... it's better than nothing," Krystal told herself as she and her mother began plating the food. She couldn't expect her mother to completely turn around her attitude after weeks of icy disapproval. Even this much effort from her mother was more than she could hope for, and Krystal was grateful for her mother inviting Amber to dinner.

Soon after the side dishes were finished and Papa Jung had prepared a grill on the table for cooking the beef, Jessica and Amber arrived to the Jung household together. The older Jung sister had come to dinner directly from work, picking up Amber along the way. And it was now with mild apprehension that Krystal sat the dinner table with Amber on one side of her and Mama Jung on the other. Papa Jung was on Amber's other side while Jessica sat across from Krystal on the opposite side of the table.

Krystal was undeniably tense at the beginning of dinner, but she needn't have worried. As the table ate and laughed their way through a mountain of lettuce wraps filled with Korean beef, the young girl was amazed at how... normal the situation seemed. Amber had eaten with the Jung family before when Krystal and Amber were friends and band mates, and tonight's dinner felt just like those past dinners, calm and comfortable.

"What happened to the tension and drama?" Krystal wondered as Mama Jung laughed at Amber's very corny joke while Papa Jung heaped freshly cooked beef onto a dish that Jessica held for him. Was this what dating was supposed to be like? Were things meant to be this simple, this easy? Krystal had imagined an awkward dinner filled with uneasiness from every person at the table, but the only negativity here seemed to be contained within Krystal herself.

"Then I'll just have to wash away my negativity with beef!" Krystal told herself, taking a delicious bite of the latest batch of cooked meat at her sister's urging. Amber smirked at Krystal as a trail of grease dripped down the younger girl's chin. Amber brushed it away with a napkin before Krystal could react, causing her Krystal to bat her girlfriend's hand away in embarrassment.

"Aigoo, always so messy, Soojung!" Amber teased.

"She's been like this since she was a kid," Mama Jung teased with a laugh.

Krystal said nothing but smiled shyly to herself and savored the delicious bite of beef.

The plate containing the final batch of meat was passed around until only a single piece of beef remained. Krystal eyed it with hunger despite having eaten her fair share of the meal. Traditionally in the Jung household, the final piece of beef belonged to Krystal. Everyone knew that beef was their maknae's favorite food, so everyone wanted her to have the last piece. This had been the norm for so long that Krystal never bothered to offer the last piece to anyone because they would always urge her to eat it. So when Krystal received a light smack on the arm from her mother as she picked up the final piece of beef with her chopsticks, she furrowed her brow in confusion.

"Huh? What's wrong?" Krystal asked, inadvertently dropping the beef back onto the plate after being hit on the arm.

"Offer it to your guest," Mama Jung said, chastising Krystal gently while nodding in Amber's direction.

Krystal turned to Amber and smiled slyly. "It's OK mom, Amber always lets me have the last piece anyway."

Amber nodded in confirmation to Mama Jung. "It's OK, omoni. She can have it."

"What?" Mama Jung asked Amber in surprise. "She always gets the last piece?"

"Er... well yeah," Amber responded after thinking about it for a bit. "When it comes to food, Soojung's usually hungrier than I am," she laughed.

"Well that's not right. Shouldn't you two at least take turns on getting the last piece?" Mama Jung asked. The older woman showed more concern than Krystal thought was necessary given the situation.

"It's not a big deal," Krystal told her mom with a smile. "Amber's always happy to let me take it." The young girl went to pick up the beef again with her chopsticks, but was stopped by another slap on her arm from her mother. "Ah! What?"

"That's no good, Soojung. Things should be fair in a relationship," Mama Jung chastised, taking the plate and pushing it towards Amber. "Amber, let me know if Soojung's not treating you right. I'll deal with her."

The look of surprise on Amber's face was priceless, although Krystal was sure the same could be said about the look of surprise on her own face. Clearly her mother was acknowledging their relationship.

"Th-thank you, I will," Amber said, nodding respectfully at Mama Jun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter