Papi

Constant and Changing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wind blew through Krystal's hair as she and Victoria sped down an empty stretch of highway on Jeju Island. The older girl was in the driver's seat of the rented car that was taking them away from their responsibilities and toward unrestricted freedom. Krystal stuck her head out the passenger side window and felt the rush of cool fall air on her face.

"Woooo!" Victoria cheered as she watched Krystal enjoying their unsupervised road trip. Rarely did f(x) get a chance to experience this kind of fun on their own, and both leader and maknae were going to take advantage of the opportunity that they had created for themselves. Just minutes ago, Krystal and Victoria had been waiting idly in their car while Amber and Luna were shooting their scenes for the "4 Walls" music video. There wasn't much to do in the middle of the forest on Jeju Island, so Krystal posed a seemingly innocent question while their managers were busy doing other things

"Should we run away?" Krystal asked jokingly as she and her bored leader-unnie sat in the car. To her surprise, Victoria nodded excitedly with positive affirmation. Seconds later, Victoria started the engine and the two girls pulled onto the road amid uncontrollable giggles.

There weren't many destinations nearby for the two girls to explore, but Victoria had remembered passing a mango juice shop on their way to the filming site. They both agreed that their selfish excursion would likely inconvenience everyone, so they decided to bring back juice for everyone on set as an apology.

"Are you sure you know the way?" Krystal wondered as she pulled her head back into the car.

Victoria nodded and waved a dismissive hand at the younger girl. "You just sit back and relax. Driver-ssi will get you to your destination safe and sound."

Krystal smiled and sat back in her seat. "Why don't we ever get to do anything fun like this? Life is boring when you're not around, unnie."

"That's definitely a high compliment. I'll make sure to tell Amber and Luna that you think they're boring," Victoria said with a teasing smile.

As Krystal insisted that her words were being twisted around, her cell phone buzzed with a call. She checked the name and then gave Victoria a troubled look. It was Lee Wongyun, their manager.

"Ahh...busted," Victoria said with a pout after hearing the name.

"Busted," Krystal agreed. She loved her manager oppas like they were her own family, but they were strict when it came to doing their jobs. The girls' safety always, always took priority over fun. In many ways, having their manager oppas looking after them was like having a caring but nagging father following them around.

Krystal answered the call and endured several minutes of angry reprimanding before Wongyun agreed to allow them to continue toward the juice shop. The girls ordered a large quantity of juice for the filming staff, and then waited with their juice until Wongyun and Lee Hojoon, their other manager, arrived at the shop in a second rented car. The stern lecturing continued in person. Krystal was slightly annoyed by the treatment that she and Victoria were receiving, but at the same time she understood her managers' feelings. Her managers sincerely loved and cared for them, and she loved them too.

Their managers agreed to let Victoria drive Krystal back in the original car that they had stolen. The two groups divided up the juice between them and drove back. It was a bumpy ride despite the much slower speed that Victoria drove at under the managers' watchful eyes. Mango juice sloshed out of the many cups they had ordered, spilling all over the inside of the car and over their legs, but it had been an extremely fun excursion for the two girls.

"Where have you been?" Luna whined upon seeing her members return from their adventure. She had been left to stand around for the last half hour after finishing her filming. Amber stood near Luna, more amused than annoyed by the situation. "There's no where to wait without the cars!"

"Sorry," Krystal and Victoria contritely apologized. Krystal hugged Luna while Victoria offered her a half-full cup of fresh mango juice.

"We brought this back for you," Victoria said, hoping to make peace with the pouting girl. She handed a cup to Amber as well. "It's fresh mango juice!"

"Why is this almost empty?" Amber wondered, peering inside.

Krystal held out her sticky leg. "Sorry, it spilled everywhere on the way back. But we bought it to re-energize everyone and to apologize for our selfishness..."

Luna smiled understandingly at their sentiments. She took a deep sip of the mango juice and then smiled even wider at its delicious flavor. "Thank you both, I'll drink it gratefully!"

Amber turned to Krystal with a playfully angry glare. "She's too easy to please," Amber said, referring to Luna. "But I won't be swayed by juice. What else to you have to please me?"

Krystal opened to retort flirtatiously, but she was surprised into silence by the appearance of their managers.

"It's Victoria's turn to film," Wongyun said, coming to lead the eldest member away.

"OK!" Victoria agreed cheerfully, walking away with their manager.

Moments later, Hojoon came to their waiting area to fetch Luna as well.

"Luna, you'll have to come, too. They need to redo the last scene you filmed."

"But... the juice!" Luna pouted, reaching out for the cup that Amber mischievously snatched out of her hands.

"Bring it with you," Hojoon suggested, taking the cup back from Amber. He handed the drink to Luna and walked off with her, leading her back to the filming area and leaving Krystal and Amber alone by the cars. The two girls furtively checked their immediate surroundings, which were devoid of staff members and managers. They exchanged wide grins under the lazy, forest sunlight, and then discreetly slipped away from the area in silence as though they had planned the escape in advance.

Amber darted through the trees and Krystal chased after her, giggling at the older girl's carefree attitude. They took each other further and further away from the filming site with each step. Krystal was always one step behind Amber in their exclusive game of tag, unable to catch up to her girlfriend. After a few minutes of chasing, without warning, Amber stopped and turned around with a bright smile. The sunlight through the forest canopy framed Amber's face so radiantly that Krystal couldn't help but admire Amber's beauty as she crashed into the older girl, unable to slow herself in time.

Strong arms caught Krystal and held her steady, keeping her from falling onto the mossy forest floor. Krystal regained her balance and looked into Amber's face with a sheepish yet grateful smile even though Amber's sudden stop had nearly caused her to fall in the first place. Wordlessly, away from prying eyes, the two girls clasped hands and walked deeper into the forest with each other.

Krystal loved being in the forest. The endless expanse of trees and greenery inspired her imagination. The hazy contrast of shadow and light heightened the romantic atmosphere that already existed in her heart whenever she was with Amber. Hand-in-hand, the two lovers stopped by the base of a giant tree that seemed to grow into the heavens. The younger girl gazed at ancient tree, amazed by its height.

"This tree must have existed since the beginning of time," Krystal murmured in awe.

"Just like my love for you," Amber added softly.

Krystal turned to the other girl and gave her a wry smile. She was touched by the beauty of Amber's remark, but she couldn't ignore its cheesiness. "How can you say something like that with a straight face?"

"Because I really do believe it," Amber replied with a sincere smile. "My love for you is eternal, spanning different worlds and realities. In every lifetime, no matter who we are, I'll always find you and fall in love with you because you're the only person I'm meant to be with."

The mysteric, timeless feel of the forest matched Amber's words perfectly. Her description of their love even fit with the their "4 Walls" music video, which told a story about feelings transcending time and space, without beginning or end. Were Amber's words influenced by the music video that they were currently filming? Or was the music video somehow coincidentally telling their love story? It was a mystery that caused a chill to run down Krystal's back in a good way.

"Sorry, was that still too cheesy?" Amber wondered, gazing at Krystal with a gentle expression.

The younger girl snapped out of her musings and shook her head at Amber with an equally gentle smile. "No, I kinda like it. And I hope you realize that if I'm the person you're meant to be with, then you're the person that I'm meant to be with, too."

"I figured," Amber replied with a playful air of confidence. "I just wanted to hear you say it."

Krystal laughed and they touched their foreheads gently before leaning into each other for a kiss. Amber's mouth tasted of mango juice and Krystal tho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter