Beautiful Stranger

Constant and Changing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal heard a bump in the hallway of her parents' home and the dull sound roused her from her sleep. Tired as she was, the curious girl climbed out of bed and peeked her head into the hallway. She was surprised to find her mother dragging a large suitcase up the stairs.

"Mom?" Krystal mumbled sleepily, rubbing her eyes. "What are you doing?"

Her mother quickly brought a finger to her lips to shush her daughter. "Jess is sleeping. I'm bringing her stuff upstairs," she quietly whispered with a smile.

"Unnie's here?" Krystal whispered back, surprised by the news since Jessica wasn't supposed to return from overseas for another few days. And the fact that her sister had brought luggage into the house meant that Jessica would likely be staying there for a while instead of staying at her own home. The realization made Krystal's heart twitter with delight. Jessica had visited them just last week, but Krystal never got tired of seeing Jessica no matter how much time they spent together.

"You think she'll stay with us until her birthday?" Krystal asked, helping her mom lift the suitcase up the last few stairs. Jessica's 26th birthday was over a week away, longer than Jessica normally stayed when she stayed at their parents' home, but Krystal would love to have her sister around the house for that long. She missed having Jessica around, especially since her sister's new business and lack of time at SM meant that they rarely saw each other these days.

Her mom patted her gently on the cheek. "She didn't say, but it'd be nice if she stayed over that long." She handed Krystal the suitcase and nudged her towards Jessica's room. "Put that in your sister's room. I'm going shopping so that I can make her a nice dinner later."

"Are you trying to sway her into staying here longer with good food?"

"Exactly," Mama Jung replied, tapping Krystal gently on the head with affection. "I'll be gone for a while. Let your sister sleep, OK? She was exhausted when she got here."

Krystal nodded and waved as her mom retreated down the stairs. Quietly, she rolled the luggage into Jessica's room and stopped beside the bed. Her sister was curled up on it like a ball, fully hidden beneath the covers. Krystal knew she shouldn't disturb her tired sister, but she couldn't help herself; she missed the physical closeness with Jessica.

Moving cautiously, Krystal lifted a corner of Jessica's comforter and crawled into the bed. She felt her sister stir upon her entrance, but Jessica did not complain.

"Soojung-ah?" Jessica murmured sleepily.

"Sorry," Krystal whispered back, scooting closer to her sister. "Go back to sleep."

Jessica silently sidled up to the younger girl, threw an arm over her, and hugged her like a teddy bear. Moments later, Krystal heard Jessica resume her deep breathing, indicating that she had fallen back asleep. Feeling warm and comfortable in this position, Krystal closed her eyes and went back to sleep as well.

A few hours later, Krystal woke up from her nap feeling refreshed and happy. She looked over to Jessica, who was still sleeping, and smiled gently. There were few people in this world that made her smile unconditionally like this. Her parents, all four of her f(x) members (her girlfriend Amber in particular), and her sister Jessica. In Krystal's eyes, Jessica was the prettiest and most amazing sister in the world, and she couldn't be more grateful to have Jessica in her life.

Krystal glanced over at the clock on her sister's night stand and saw that it was nearly 1pm in the afternoon. She was shocked that it was so late in the day, and perhaps even more shocked that her mom had allowed her to sleep this late. Jessica might have needed the extra sleep, but it was well past time for Krystal to get up. The younger girl tried to extract herself from the bed without making any noise. However, less than five seconds into the attempt, Jessica stirred and glared at her mildly.

"My favorite alarm clock," Jessica mumbled. She playfully smacked Krystal over the head a few times before burying herself under the covers. "Where's your snooze button?"

Krystal laughed and laid back on the pillow. "Sorry, but I can't sleep anymore. You should go back to sleep, though."

"No," Jessica mumbled. "I should get up, too." She poked her head out of the covers and faced in Krystal's direction even though her eyes were still closed. "What's new with you, stranger?"

"Nothing," Krystal replied with a smile. "What's new with you?"

"Fashion design, fashion shows, fashion line, fashion fashion fashion," Jessica mumbled back, opening a sleepy eye. "Are you really not gonna tell me anything? How was the Taiwan concert? How's the new album coming along? How are things with your boyfriend?"

Krystal's eyes widened at the last question. Jessica had not brought up the topic of Krystal's "boyfriend" since the dinner in late November many months ago, which had been the catalyst for her break with Amber between December to March. Now that Krystal and Amber were back together, Krystal wondered if Jessica had somehow picked up on this. Her demeanor had certainly improved since the break ended, but surely Jessica could not have noticed this after only thirty seconds of conversation. And one look into Jessica's sleepy face made Krystal think that Jessica had asked her as a joke.

"The concert was fine. The album's coming along slowly. And my 'boyfriend' is as nonexistent as an f(x) solo concert," Krystal replied smoothly, not missing a beat.

Jessica turned and gave her sister a sleepy eye roll. "Whatever you say. Just keep in mind that one day, if and when you start dating, you'll eventually have to introduce your boyfriend to me anyway. I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later, but that's just me," she said nonchalantly.

Krystal had to admit, even when Jessica was tired, Jessica could still be very chic. The younger girl let her sister's words sink in as they lapsed into silence. There were currently only two people who knew that she and Amber were dating: Victoria and Luna. Amber had not told anyone else yet. Krystal had not told anyone else either, although she suddenly toyed with the idea now. 

Jessica was one of her biggest supporters in life. It wouldn't be crazy to imagine that Jessica would support her relationship with Amber... right? With her eyes trained on the ceiling above them, Krystal took a deep breath. "Unnie..."

"Soojung-ah..." Jessica responded, mimicking her sister's speech.

"Unnie..."

"Soojung-ah..."

Krystal said nothing else. Her nerves were failing her and she was too scared to make the leap and tell Jessica that she was in love with Amber, that she was in love with a girl. Krystal wondered how she had managed to come out to Luna so many months ago when it felt impossible to do it now.

"Soojung-ah," Jessica said after a while, rolling to her side and giving Krystal her full attention. "I already know what you're gonna say, so you might as well tell me the truth. I'll support you no matter what, so just tell me already." Jessica was blunt, but the kindness in her words were unmistakable. Krystal still hesitated, however. She knew Jessica loved her very much, but surely even her sister couldn't imagine what Krystal was about to say. Still, Krystal wanted to have faith in Jessica's unconditional love for her.

Krystal sighed deeply and turned to face her sister. "I'm dating someone."

"I knew it!" Jessica exclaimed gleefully. She was more awake now than before. "Who is it? Who is it? Is he a celebrity? Is he from SM?"

"Yes and yes," Krystal nervously confirmed. "...but it's not a guy."

Jessica quirked an eyebrow, not fully understanding what Krystal was trying to tell her. "...what? OK, then who is it?"

Krystal took one deep, shaky breath under Jessica's curious gaze and then simply answered, "It's Amber." She saw Jessica's eyebrows rise visibly at the confession. Her sister stared at her in disbelief and then slowly turned to face the ceiling. Silently, Krystal did the same as she clung tightly to the comforter and tried to settle her furiously beating heart. Krystal did her best to wait patiently for Jessica's response, her clenched knuckles turning white with tension as the seconds passed.

And then Jessica finally acknowledged Krystal's confession without looking at her. "You're dating Amber?"

"Yeah," Krystal softly confirmed.

"Amber Liu, your group member?"

"The one and only," she said with a small smile. Krystal stared at Jessica's profile, nervous about how her sister was taking the news. "...are you OK?"

"Yeah," Jessica said, but Krystal sensed a daze in her sister's response. Jessica turned to her at last and ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter