Toy

Constant and Changing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The two most important people in Krystal's life, her sister Jessica and her girlfriend Amber, were seated with her at a private restaurant room in Seoul. It was the weekend following the first week of their '4 Walls' comeback stages and the three women were enjoying a casual dinner together, something they had never done together before. Even though Jessica and Amber were engaged in an amicable conversation with each other, the sight of their cheerful interaction was deeply unsettling to Krystal.

Jessica and Amber didn't have a bad relationship with each other, but the two women didn't have a particularly good relationship either. Krystal always sensed that Amber's personality didn't suit Jessica's tastes. And as for Amber, Krystal sensed that her girlfriend was just flat out terrified of the former Girls' Generation member. Fear and incompatibility didn't make for a good friendship, so Krystal never questioned why Jessica and Amber never made any effort to become better friends. But now that the two polar opposites were deep in conversation with each other, Krystal felt very uneasy about how natural the scene looked. And annoyingly, the two of them could not stop talking about her.

"I told Soojung to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left before she backed up, but she just hit the gas and BAM!! Right into the garbage can!" Amber was telling Jessica excitedly, retelling the embarrassing tale of last weekend's unsuccessful attempts of teaching Krystal how to parallel park.

For Jessica's part, the older woman snorted into her wine before slapping the table with uncontrollable laughter. Krystal had to admit that the sight of her sister and girlfriend getting along with very heartwarming, but she felt conflicted that her reputation was the price for this harmony.

"Um, can we please change the topic?" Krystal asked with mild irritation. "There are other things we can talk about besides, 'What embarrassing thing did Soojung do now?'"

"We could do that," Amber reasoned with a playful smile, "but where's the fun in that?"

Jessica nodded as she tried to elegantly wipe the wine spittle from her lips. "You don't have to stay if the conversation doesn't interest you," Jessica replied loftily. "Feel free to leave while Amber and I discuss other important business." The older girl turned to Amber with a sparkle in her eye. "Did you know that Soojung left the house with a pair of clinging to the back of her shirt last week?"

"Hey, hey," Krystal interrupted, waving her hand angrily between the chattering women. "Seriously, that's enough. Let's talk about something else."

With an affectionate smirk, Amber reached out and patted Krystal kindly on the head. Krystal narrowed her eyes playfully at her girlfriend, accepting the consoling pats before turning to look at Jessica. The younger Jung was surprised to find an indescribably melancholic expression in Jessica's eyes. It was not jealousy or disgust, but rather a wistfulness that Krystal couldn't fully identify.

"What's wrong?" Krystal wondered, casting her sister a worried glance. She nervously pushed Amber's hand away, concerned that their interactions had bothered Jessica, who hadn't witnessed them interacting romantically before.

The older Jung shook her head with a bit of a sheepish smile. "It's not that. I just felt a little nostalgic watching you with Amber," Jessica admitted.

Krystal paused and quirked an eyebrow in her sister's direction. "Nostalgic? Does seeing us together remind you of when YOU dated Amber?" Krystal had said this as a joke, but the matching pair of disgusted expressions that appeared on Jessica and Amber's faces were a bigger reward than she had expected.

"Ugh, gross," Amber complained, pretending to vomit at the thought of dating Jessica. She quickly turned to the older girl and apologized for the comment. "N-no offense."

"Bleh. No offense but I wouldn't date you either," Jessica confirmed with utter disgust on her face.

Krystal took a sip of wine with a cheerful smile, feeling much better about having been embarrassed by both parties all night. "What a wonderful dinner! Let's do this more often!"

"Yah, don't make me tell Amber about the embarrassing thing that happened at school when you were in second grade," Jessica threatened, quickly shutting up her sister obediently.

"You have her well trained, unnie-nim," Amber observed.

"Why thank you," Jessica replied smugly.

Krystal suddenly felt that she hated dinners with Jessica and Amber. 

"Anyway," Jessica said, getting back to the original topic, "I felt nostalgic because seeing you in a real relationship makes me think of when you were a kid. I know you're an adult now, but it's sad in some ways to think that I've finished watching you grow up."

"Unnie, I'm not going anywhere," Krystal said softly, not fully understanding why her sister seemed to think otherwise. "I still have a lot of growing up to do and you'll get to witness all of it."

"For now, but not for long," Jessica said, forcing herself to be cheerful. She turned to Amber with a kind smile. "By the way, what are your plans for taking care of our princess in the future?"

"The princess has requested to live in a castle. I'm working to procure a castle now, but the compulsory dragon has been hard to find," Amber answered playfully.

Krystal snickered at Amber's obvious joke, but Jessica answered Amber's plans seriously.

"So you two are planning to move in with each other then?"

"Huh?" Amber asked, somewhat taken off guard by the seriousness of Jessica's question. "You're really asking?"

"Yes," Jessica confirmed with a firm, but kind smile. "You're dating my little sister and I would have asked the same thing to anyone who was dating her. 'Are you serious about my Soojungie?' 'Do you have what it takes to make her happy?'"

Krystal nervously reached around the table and tugged on Jessica's sleeve to stop her from interrogating Amber any further. "U-unnie... We haven't really talked abou--"

"I AM serious about her," Amber answered without hesitation. "I want to marry Soojung one day if your family will let me. I wanna buy a home with her and start a family with her. And I'll spend the rest of my life making sure that she's happy."

The younger girl stared at Amber in surprise. An uneasy kind of feeling grew in her stomach even though Jessica nodded upon hearing Amber's response, satisfied by the strength in her words. Krystal and Amber had discussed their future before, but their plans had always been vague and idealistic. They had voiced a desire to marry each other one day, but they had never discussed when. They had talked about their dream home, but had never made plans for turning their dreams into reality. Hearing Amber speak with such conviction about their future was reassuring in some ways, but terrifying in many others. Krystal realized now that her plans for their future were mere daydreams when compared to Amber's plans for their future.

"OK, that was too serious," Amber said sheepishly, feeling a bit embarrassed by her own response. "Pretend I didn't say that. Krystal and I are still just dating and having fun. We're not ready for anything more yet," she told Jessica.

"No no, don't take it back. I feel better knowing that you guys aren't just fooling around," Jessica insisted. "I'm honestly really happy that you guys are so serious about each other." She raised her wine glass towards Amber and Krystal. "A toast to the happy couple!"

The two older women clinked their glasses together merrily. But when Jessica

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter