Pinocchio

Constant and Changing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal wandered aimlessly around Amber's apartment with Gongju and Jackjack nipping at her heels. Amber's mp3 player was feeding a steady stream of original music into her ears, but Krystal was lost in thought and barely listening.

Amber was aware of the fact that Krystal was not focusing well today, having spent the last minute trying to get her attention to no avail. She smiled as she watched the younger girl take slow steps from one end of the living room to the other, skillfully avoiding the dogs at her feet. From Amber's perspective, Krystal was listening to music and playing with her dogs, and Amber was content to let Krystal do as she pleased right now. 

"I love you, Soojungie!" Amber called out in a soft, singsong voice. Krystal, oblivious in her own world, did not respond. "You're so beautiful, princess-nim." Still nothing. "My heart will always belong to you," Amber said with a smile. She did not expect a response from her spaced out girlfriend, nor did she need one. Simply admitting her feelings to Krystal, whether or not Krystal heard or reciprocated, made her happy. With one last affectionate glance at the wandering girl, Amber turned back to her keyboard and continued composing.

Unfortunately, little did Amber realize that Krystal was not happily lost in her own world; she was actually wrestling with her emotions as she paced back and forth across the living room. It was Krystal's habit to overanalyze things, and she was trapped in an over analytical state now. As much as Krystal tried not to think about her dinner with Jessica a few nights ago, the uncomfortable conversation played back in her mind over and over.

"Guess what?" Jessica asked her from across their small table at the restaurant. They were seated in a private room at their favorite restaurant, eagerly awaiting dessert after a delicious meal. For the Jung sisters who were incredibly busy, sisterly dinners like this were a luxury. They had spent the meal discussing work, friends, clothes, and other random topics.

Krystal was enjoying herself immensely. Full of good food and good wine with good company at her side, how could she be anything but happy? Krystal placed her wine glass on the table and cocked her head curiously at Jessica's question. "I don't know, what?"

"I found the perfect guy for you!" Jessica excitedly revealed. "I met him while I was in New York last week. He's Korean, a little younger than me, and he's totally your type. Smart, good dresser, a little goofy."

"'A little goofy?'" Krystal asked blankly. "How is 'a little goofy' my type?"

Jessica laughed and rolled her eyes. "Think about all the guys you used to point out to me in the past. Try to tell me that not one of them was a little goofy," she dared.

Krystal's thoughts went immediately to her girlfriend Amber and she bit back a smile. She had to admit, Amber was the epitome of a goofball.

"Anyway," Jessica said, taking Krystal's silent smirk as acknowledgement, "I told this guy about you and he's really eager to meet you. When do you want to meet him?"

"Meet him?" Krystal repeated.

"Yeah, nothing serious, just a blind date. Are you free at all in December?"

Krystal raised her hand and refused Jessica's offer. Without the slightest bit of concern, she dismissed the blind date. "I'm not interested."

Stunned, the older Jung sister lowered her wine glass. "No way, Soojung. You've been asking me since forever to find you a boyfriend. I finally have time to explore and find someone good enough for you and you're turning me down?"

An slow knot formed in Krystal's stomach as she realized her mistake. Krystal mentally berated herself for being so quick to refuse. Amber had been on her mind and she couldn't imagine dating anyone else, hence her abrupt refusal to the blind date. But since Jessica was unaware that they were dating, there was no way Jessica would accept the refusal without a proper explanation. Krystal took a sip of wine and tried not to appear flustered.

"I think you'd change your mind if you just met the guy," Jessica was saying. "Maybe if we--" she paused and tried to appraise Krystal's expression. A slow, knowing smile spread across her lips. "...or could it be that you didn't need my help? Jung Soojung, are you dating someone?"

Krystal's eyes widened ever so slightly in surprise at Jessica's question. She caught herself quickly and realized that Victoria had a very good point about her needing to work on her reactions. Trying to act nonchalant about the question, Krystal laughed and took another sip of wine. "Yeah right, when would I have time to find a decent guy?"

"Exactly!" Jessica argued brightly. "Which is why I'm offering you Mr. Right on a silver platter. Don't you dare say no to this."

"But..." Krystal protested, trying to think quickly. She felt that the wine was hindering her ability to think and react properly, so she set the wine glass down. "I feel like this is the first time I've had in forever to relax. I just want to spend some time with myself right now.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter