In my room

Take Me Away

 

Its 10 o’clock at night and mom and dad are arguing again. Dad got home drunk and mom really hates that. As for me, im stuck in my room listening to them. I could hear screaming and crashing of dishes and cups outside my door. This has happened everyday since dad lost his job at the construction site. Tears fall from my eyes hitting my pillow as my parents are fighting. The more I hear them, the more agitated I get.

“yah! Your so useless! Get out of my house!” mom yelled.
“you crazy ! I paid for this house! You get out!” dad yelled back.
“you paid?! You don’t even have a job anymore! Im not gonna support a man whose drunk off his and does nothing but drink all day. How about stop drinking and finding another job for Christ sake!?”
“shut up! Who the hell do you think you are telling me when I should stop drinking?! Im gonna stop when I want too! What are you gonna do about it?!”dad screamed.

Mom was throwing cups and dishes on the floor towards my dad trying to chase him out. Dad grabbed mom by her hair started to beat her. Mom fought back with her body and anything that she could find laying around. I could hear the smacking and crashing so I decided I cant just sit here anymore. As soon, I as heard my mom scream in pain, I immediately ran out of my room and to the living room.

“Omma! Are you okay?!” I asked frantically.

I held my mom in my arm trying to fight off my dad in the other.

“Appa! Stop! Omma is hurt cant you see?!”
you Get out of appa’s way!” he said pulling my mom by her legs.
“NO! I wont let you hurt omma anymore!” I said helping mom to sit in a chair then standing in front of her.
“so your not going to move?!” dad screamed at me.
“No!” I cried.
“fine! Ill beat the both of you!” he slurred.

He grabbed my arm and started hitting me all over my body. I screamed in pain so my mom jumped in to help block his hands from hitting me. His hand landed on my face, back, stomach and legs.

“Omma! What are you doing?! APPA! Please stop! Your hurting us!” I cried with tears coming down.
“Im not your dad! And im not her husband anymore! Leave my house! You useless pieces of crap! Your money is no longer wanted here! Leave!” he yelled at us dragging us to the front door.

He opened the door and threw each of us out one by one. He then slammed the door in our faces leaving us in the dark. With all my might, I got up slowly then helping my mom to her feet. We both started walking away from our house where we once lived happily. My mom was limping on her right foot because of the broken glasses of the door. We made our way to the park that was a few blocks away from our house and sat down on the bench.

“omma…are you ok?...” I asked still crying ripping apart of my shirt off.
“Im ok honey. Don’t worry about me. Are you hurt?” she asked back.

I kneeled down on my knees and wrapped it around my moms foot so it will soak up the blood. I shook my head then got up and rested my head on my moms shoulder.

“omma… what are we gonna do now? Where are we gonna live? How are you gonna work with your foot like that? Should I quit school and find a job?”
“you should never give up school. But I don’t know dear… we’ll figure something out. We just have to be strong. ” She said patting my head.

I heard my moms stomach growl and I looked at her with tears in my eyes.

“omma…you must be hungry…” I said sadly.
“its ok.” She said smiling softly at me.

I shook my head and stood up feeling on top of my pants pocket. I felt a little bit of money in there so I pulled it out.

“Omma! Wait for me right here okay? Ill be right back.” I told her running across the street to the corner store that’s open 24/7.

When I reached the front of the store, the sliding doors opened and I entered the small building.  The workers of the store stared at me as I walked in because of the bruises on my face. I walked to the aisle with the cheapest snacks so I can buy something for me and my mom. As I was choosing something for me to eat, I can see a guy standing in the next aisle over looking across the shelves at me. From what I can see he was wearing a black jacket and a black hat.  

“your name is choi youright?” he said finally saying something.
“uh…yes… why?”
“Your in my history class right?”
“…..who are you?....” I asked.
“im jaejoong. Kim jaejoong.”
“ oh… nice to meet you…” I said returning back to my business.

I didn’t bother to answer his previous questions because there were bigger things that I should worry about. I grabbed two small wrapped breads and a bottle of water then walked to the cash register. But then I noticed this jaejoong kid was following me. I looked back once at him to see if he really was following me but he pretended that he was looking at something. I paid for my stuff and walked out the store. I was so happy that I got something for my mom to eat that I didn’t pay attention to the road. I ran across the street not noticing that there was a car coming. Suddenly I heard a loud honk and I finally noticed it. Just as the car was about to hit me, I felt a pair of hands wrap around me and pulled me along with them. I screamed with my eyes closed while also hearing my mom yelling my name.

“You should really be careful.” I heard a familiar voice speak.

 I opened my eyes and saw that jaejoong kid from earlier.

"Im sorry” I said lowering my head to him.
you” I heard my mom yell.

I looked up and saw my mom standing on her feet so I quickly got off from on top of him and said sorry one more time. I ran to my mom leaving him to get up by himself.

“omma! Sit back down… its not good for your foot to be standing like that.
“I was so worried!” she said hugging me.
“im sorry omma… i didn’t mean to make you worry. But im ok now.”
“ if it wasn’t for that young man… you wouldn’t be alive.”
“speaking of young man…” I said turning around seeing him stand in front of us.
“did you say thank you honey?” my mom said to me.

I shook my head and walked towards him after seating my mother.

“thank you.”
“no problem. Just pay attention more next time huh?” he said smiling at me.
“yea…” I answered quietly.
“you smell blood somewhere?” he suddenly asked.
“blood?... oh… its my moms foot. We were caught in an accident earlier.”
“why didnt you take her to the hospital? Why are you at the park?”
“we have no money for the hospital.”
“We can take her to the hospital my dads friend owns. Im pretty sure he’ll do it for free.”
“uh… I don’t know… I already caused a lot of trouble for you already.”
“its ok… I help take care of problems.” He answered sweetly.

I looked at my mom then back at him. I guess I have to do whats best for my mom because I love her.