Chapter 5

'Girlfriend'

I reached out for Yoojin's small trembling hand and entered the taxi that Jungkook hailed.

"We're going to my home first ." I voiced as soon as we were settled down in the back seat.

"What? Why?" i was not looking at him, but I could definitely feel his glare fixed on me.

"I don't bring extra money to pay the fare. I have to use the money at my house." Without waiting for his response, I ask the taxi driver to send us to my home .

"Ayy , this girl , really." He said with an annoyed tone and look outside the window . 

I stole a quick glance at him, before spacing out. Do I even have any money at home? Where's his house? Is it far? If  it is, the fare is gonna be freaking expensive . Gosh, why is this happening to me? the disturbing thought wouldn't leave my mind, causing me to repeatedly sigh.

"Unnie, you said you hate riding taxi. Why are we riding one?" I chuckled at Yoojin's innocent question .

I leaned forward, before gently brushing through her bang. 

"Because this oppa doesn't want to ride a bus ." Yoojin looked up at me confusedly.

"Why would you follow what he want?"

"Because we did something wrong to him . So we have to treat him nicely ."

"But he's bad." She said with a pout.

"Hey kid, watch your mouth." Jungkook point his finger at Yoojin's mouth.

I was honestly surprised that Yoojin's words offended him. She's a kid, he could have just ignored her. But still- 

"Sorry, Jungkook . Yoojin , apologize . It's not nice to say that."  Yoojin's pout became pointier  and her eyes started to get teary .

"Yoojin..."

"Sorry , oppa "

"For? I looked into her eyes , asking her to continue her sentences .

"For saying you're bad ."

"And?" Yoojin sighed , not wanting to finish my sentences.

"And ruining your car." I smiled and pat her head.

"That's my Yoojin."

 I turned to Jungkook, and he was just staring her emotionlessly. Jungkook's gaze then panned upwards, meeting mine. He let out an inaudible scoff before looking back outside the window. Damn, the ness is strong in this dude. I expect him to softened a bit hearing Yoojin's apology, but that didn't seem to effect him at all.

The rest of the journey was rather quiet and awkward. Yoojin had fall asleep inside my embrace, and my thought was filled with the current problems surrounding me. I expect this day to be a wonderful day - me cooking Yoojin's favourite food and spending quality time with her. But everything went wrong. My mind wandered to the groceries we bought-abandoned in the destroyed trolley. Ah, what a waste. I should have grabbed those together into the taxi. Jungkook made everything so messy, I couldn't even think straight earlier.

Just then the taxi stopped right in front of my house.

"Can you please wait for a while, mister? I'll be back." I said to the taxi driver in a hushed tone, not wanting to wake Yoonji up.

I opened the door, and fixed Yoonji's position so that I could carry her in a bridal style. I got out and went i to my house, without even looking at that taffy dude. (Jungkook) I carefully placed Yoojin on her bed and rushed to my room. I look around almost everywhere for money, and only suceed in finding 20,000 won. This should be enough, right? But what if it doesn't? I don't have any money aside from my salary. i need those. What are we going to eat for the whole month without it? I eyed the bills in my hand. Ah, it. With that little amount money, I headed out.

When I got out from my house, Jungkook was standing outside the taxi . He had his sunglass on, leaning slightly against the taxi. His fingers were actively fiddling with his big smartphone. i couldn't lie, he is good-looking as hell. Only if his attitude weren't that ugly- 

I approached him slowly. My hands clenching hard on the bills I was holding. I was somehow nervous. Realizing I'm approaching, he kept his phone in his jeans pocket and put his hand around his body.

"He.. Here.." I handed the bills. Eyes escaping his face. 

I can feel that he was staring me behind those dark and expensive-looking sun-glass .The hair on my neck stood up. Was it not enough? What was he thinking? Ah, he must be laughing internally at how pathetic I was. 

Jungkook's POV

I stared at the terrified girl in front of me. I didn't know what she was afraid of. Was I that scary ? The bill she was holding was shaking because of her shivering hand. My eyes diverted from her to her tiny house. I never knew there was this kind of neighborhood. All the houses are small as hell and crammed with each other. I also never knew she was from this kind of background.  

"Forget it." I plainly stated. She looked up at me, eyebrows knitted in confusion. 

I turned around to enter the taxi but she grabbed my hand, stopping me. I looked back abruptly at her, eyeing her. She retreated her hand in a heartbeat before awkwardly looking away.

"But..why?" I removed my sun-glass and looked at her in the eyes.  As always , she looked away.

"Do you think that's enough?" My words seems to shatter her soul. She was staring at me, not moving, and her face flushed in no time.

"It's not?" She said slowly, almost like talking to herself. Her eyes were fixed on the money.

I sighed as I entered the taxi and was about to close the door when she hold the door, stopping it from closing. She then handed out the bills.

"Just take it. I know it's not enough, but just use this first. I'll pay you the rest later." Her face looked so determined, she really wanted to pay me even though she didn't have enough money.

"Jiyoung, seriously. Forget it . Just focus on fixing my car." The last bit of my words make her eyes turned gloomy immediately. She must be so troubled about it. Well, blame it on your rude sleepyhead sister.

She then release her grip on the door and I closed it . She mouthed something slightly, but I can completely understand her.

'Thanks.'  Why would she thanked me? For making her to pay me? Well then, my pleasure.

***

The first thing I saw when I walked into the class was Jiyoung's spaced out face . Anxiety was written all over her face. I dropped my bag onto my chair and walked towards her. I stood by her seated figure but she didn't notice . I knocked her table a few times and that caught her attention. She looked puzzled when she saw my face.

"What?" She asked reluctantly.

"I called the mechanic yesterday. He said there's a lot of things to do with my car." I could see she was gulping hard on her own saliva .

"How much do I have to pay?" She asked hesitantly.

"4000000 won (2684.20 US dollar) ."

"What?!" She yelled pretty loudly, causing some students turning their heads toward us .

"Are you serious? You're not lying aren't you?" She exclaimed in a contained voice.

"Why should I lie? You can call the mechanic and ask him for yourself. I'll give you his numbers ."

She buried her head into her palm, the repeatedly rubbed her palm against her flushed face. So, she wasn't wearing any makeup. That's weird. 

"How can it be that much?" She asked when she pulled her head back up.

"How would I know? I'm not a mechanic." She ran her fingers into her brown , straight hair. She look even more troubled now .

"Jungkook.." She gulped several times before continuing her sentences .

"I'm sorry but , it's gonna take a long time for me to look for that money ." I put my hand into my blazer's pocket .

"So?" She looked at me for a second but then stared at her fingers. She was gaping, about to say something but I butted in.

"I need you to pay me before this month ends." She abruptly looked up at me, eyes widened.

"W-What? I can't, no, it's impossible." She stumbled with her own words, staring at me with pleading eyes.

"You should teach your sister not to ruin other's stuff in the first place ." I said coldly.

"Jungkook, please understand. It's not easy for me to look for that big amount of money. Give me some time." Her big, hazel eyes started to glisten with unshed tears, slightly soften me. But yesterday's incident played inside my mind, further spreading the fury.

"Wah, you sure ask a lot for someone who ruined my car. You should be grateful I didn't drag you to the workshop and ask you to pay on the spot."

She then stood and stared at me. No more plead and softness in her eyes. All I could see in anger.

"I don't know you were this mean."

And by that , she left the class. I poked my inner cheek with my tongue. Was I being mean? Was my actions overboard?

Flashback, at the workshop

"How long will it take?" I asked the mechanic.

"Probably 2-3 weeks." He casually replied while inspecting my damaged car.

"Jungkook?" A very familiar voice greeted me, slightly hitching my breath. I refused to turn, not in the mood to see his face.

"Okay then, contact me if it's done." I continued talking to the mechanic and turn to leave, completely ignoring him.

"Have you been in an accident?" His question somehow manage to grab my attention.

"Why do you care?" I blurted out plainly, without looking at his face.

"I told you not to drive until you get your license. Your mom told you that also, right?" I scoffed, finding it funny how he thought he was in any place to advice me.

"If anything happen to you, your mom-" "Excuse me, Mr. Principal, do you think you have any right to even mention her?" I cut his words, glaring into his round, sad-looking eyes. "Why don't you go back to your instead of worrying about the woman you take granted of?"

He slapped me. Hard. So hard that my vision was fading. I slowly put my palm against my cheek, and chuckled. I turned at him, greeted by his guilty and wronged face.

"Jun.. Jungkook..."He reached out for me, and I instantly slapped away his hand. "Happy now?" I asked coldly, and immediately left.

End of flasback