Chapter 32

'Girlfriend'

 

After she put the plaster gently on the cut, she hit his head.

"Ouch! What is that for?" 

Jungkook ask as he rub the back of his head. 

"I've told you to do it slowly!"

Jungkook pout as he continue to rub his head.

The noise from the front door startled the both of them. Quickly, Jungkook open the fridge and take out the cake they bought earlier. Jiyoung go to the living room and hold Mrs Jeon's hand. Surprised, Mrs Jeon turn to look at Jiyoung only to find her smile sheepishly.

"Come, I want to show something."

Jiyoung pull her and without struggling, Mrs Jeon follow her. Mrs Jeon is speechless at the sight of the kitchen. There was numerous of dishes and a cake. Behind the table, Jungkook is standing, holding a wrapped box.

He's smiling, eye to eye. A smile she rarely see from him.

"Happy birthday, Omma.."

Jungkook approach her and give her a hug as he handed the present. She take it, and tear started to fill her eyes.

Jiyoung take the present from her and put it aside, then she pull the chair for Mrs Jeon to sit.

"Mrs Jeon , eat first , then you open the present."

Mrs Jeon do as her wish.

 

Mrs Jeon stare into her reflection on the mirror. She touch the necklace and gently run her finger on it. Her gaze fall on the heart-shaped case on the side table. She take it and open it. She gently reach for the ring and bring it nearer to her face. Tears started to fall. She miss the time when they were together.

 

"You think she like the present?"

Jiyoung turn to Jungkook and let out a chuckle.

"If course she does. She even cried when she unwrapped the present."

Jungkook sigh and lean back on the car's seat.

"She look so down yesterday."

Jiyoung turn to Jungkook who is looking out the window. She notice that too.

 

Jiyoung sigh when she see the book she wanted on the top shelf. Jiyoung look around for someone she could ask help from. But everyone is so into their own world. 'I guess I have to do it myself, then'

She tip-toed trying to reach for the book. Her finger was only centimetres away. She stop, trying to catch her breath. Then, she try again. This time, the book is reached, but not by her hand. She turn around only to find Taehyung standing beside her, holding holding the book she wanted.

'Seriously, out of all people? Why must him?'

Taehyung handed out the book and Jiyoung took it with hesitant.

"T..thanks"

Jiyoung stuttered before she turn to leave. But Taehyung grab her hand , just gently but that's enough to stop her from leaving. She gulped hard, knowing that she had to face him this time. She's done a great job avoiding him for all this while, but she can't help it this time.

Taehyung let go of her hand and she turn to face him again. 

"Are you avoiding me because of what I said to you?"

Jiyoung bit her lower lip.

'Well, yeah. That's freaking true.'

Taehyung know what that silence mean and take a deep breath.

"I'm sorry."

Jiyoung look up to look at him. She didn't get what's he apologizing for.

"I make you uncomfortable."

Jiyoung blink several times, trying to figure out what she should say.

"It's fine."

At last, that's the only thing she could say. Taehyung took a step closer to her and that make her flinch.

"I just want you to know, I'll always be here for you."

His words surprised Jiyoung. 

'What was that supposed to mean?'

Their eyes locked with each other.

"I don't think that's necessary, Kim Taehyung."

The voice make the both of them turn to Taehyung's back, the place where the voice came from.