029

Solitaire
Please log in to read the full chapter

        " Neh Omma " I said for the umpteenth time as I snapped my head towards Taekwoon, he was sitting up in bed and eating the tangerines Hakyeon gave him. He saw me looking and threw one towards me. I caught it mouthing a 'thank you' and began to peel it. 

" Neh Omma " I said again.

" Take care of yourself okay Kyunggie, I'm so glad you're okay I was this close to jumping on the plane to Jeju do " she said in alarm. 

I laughed " Relax Omma I'm fine " 

" Aren't you gonna say 'Neh Omma' again? " I heard Taekwoon ask. I gave him a smirk. 

" Ooh and thank that boy for me, he was the one who reassured me that you were okay " she said.

I turned to grin at Taekwoon " Yeah I'll tell him " 

" Call me tomorrow alright? "

I hesitated as to whether to say it or not since Jung Taekwoon was waiting for me to say it " N-neh Omma ".

He burst out laughing as I hung up on my mom. " Yah! Stop laughing Its not even funny!!".

" It is! " he said as he peeled another tangerine.

" You have an odd sense of humour Jung Taekwoon " I said. He chuckled and went back to peeling tangerines.

     A silence then fell over the two of us, I for one wanted to thank him but then it just seemed really awkward right now. I mean the two of us were hospitalized and he was here because of me so I had to apologize as well. 

" Taekwoon- " I began to say. 

" Don't " he interrupted and turned to lock eyes with me " You're alive and well that's all that matters " with that he placed a tangerine in his mouth and chewed on it. I pouted and looked away disappointed. 

Just then the nurse who was looking after me earlier came running in again. " Alright, its lights out time, I'll close the curtains now alright? " she said and reached for the white curtain that divided Taekwoon and I.

     He didn't seem too bothered by the fact that there was a wall ( well not really a wall ) separating us now. I frowned and lay down on my back, well he didn't seem too bothered so why should I?. I eyed his silhouette through the curtain, he was still sitting up in his bed and eating.

" Good night Taekwoon " I said loud enough for him to hear and turned and lay down facing the opposite side. Sleep found me fairly quickly as I drifted off to dreamland in no time. 

_______________________________________________________________________________ 

     An unpleasant sound of metal creaking woke me up from my slumber. I got up in surprise and looked around in alarm. 

" Relax would you? "

I turned to my right and saw Taekwoon sitting on my bed with his back to me. I rubbed my eyes in confusion,

" What are you doing here? ".

He turned to lock eyes with me " An ahjussi sleepwalked into my bed " he said bitterly.

I tried to hold in my laugh and failed miserably.

 " Its not funny okay? How do you like waking up to an old man trying to make out with you? " he asked.

 I shuddered " Sounds traumatizing ".

He nodded and brought his feet on the bed with his back falling against the bed rest. I hesitated as to whether to sit beside him or not until he patted the space beside him. I went closer to him cautiously, what if this turns extremely awkward again?

    The two of us sat beside each other with our backs against the backrest. While I had my knees held closer to my chest, he had his legs stretched out in front of him. The silence seemed deafening, both he and I knew if any of us brought up the subject both of us longed to avoid things might get ugly. I sighed and turned to him.

" Taekwoon.." I said his name hesitantly. " I'm sorry for being well..a ".

Please log in to read the full chapter