chapter 23 - the truth is always hidden somewhere deep

You can never blame love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHANHEE POV

 

My day hadn't started well.

Firstly, I woke up even later than usually for school and ended up running around the house like an idiot, as always.

I even had to shower in cold water.

Upon the fourth time I managed to stumble over my own feet and fall, I had started negotiating with myself about whether I should even go to school or not.

In my eyes, it seemed like one of those old days when I was still all alone, without Niel and without Byunghun.

But as soon as the current events hit me even worse than the cold shower, I sadly grimaced upon even wishing for such things to be real.

Wasn't I happy with Byunghun?

Haven't I missed Niel?

Wouldn't the answer to the both questions be yes?

However, there's always that “but” in every end of my sentences, torturing me and creating those awful headaches that cannot be gotten ridden so easily.

How could I explain my sudden moody behaviour to anyone? It would seem that even if I tried talking it out, no one would understand. They would only choose the opposite side and would try to convince me that I was only exaggerating.

And truthfully, I don't need that.

So instead of talking the things out, I'll do what I'm best at. I'll hide my emotions from everyone and put on one hell of an act.

I checked up on my watch once again and let out a deep sigh. Maybe I'd make it on the third class if I manage to catch a bus...

and luckily, at least I managed to catch the bus in time and feel at least a bit less burdened.

I reached the school perhaps twenty minutes before the bell would ring and luckily the halls were still empty.

With one exception, though.

Just as I was about to turn left towards the staircase, someone bumped into me and managed to crash us both on the ground.

A deep groan could be heard underneath me and I let out a sigh.

“can't you watch where you're going”? I harshly snapped at the guy who only scoffed in return.

“you could've avoided me!” he snapped back and then pushed me aside, probably so he could get up. I followed the same.

Once we were both on our feet, I glared at the guy who returned the glare in my way too. But probably due to the feeling of being kinda shocked upon seeing his face, I couldn't quite be sure that my glare was threatening.

I wasn't expecting to see such a handsome face, after all.

“I couldn't because I haven't noticed an idiot running like a chimpanzee around the school until he attacked me!” I yelled in disbelief, not even realizing what kind of words I was using. His face was still kinda fascinating to me, yet annoying at the same time.

“an attacking chimpanzee. What are you, a five year old kid”? He frowned and then sighed, rolling his eyes for a moment.

“whatever, it's not worth commenting even.” and he then walked away, much to my pleasure.

That was until I noticed that we were heading towards the same place.

“are you stalking me”? He abruptly turned towards me, his speculating eyes roaming over my body. I widened my eyes in disbelief and cleared my throat.

“are you kidding me? Why would I stalk an like you”? I bluntly replied before deciding that it would be for the best if I ended this discussion right away.

So now I was the one to walk away.

I had successfully managed to reach my classroom, only to realize that the guy was about to enter MY classroom.

“yah. What are you doing”? I asked him coldly and he only glared at me, ready to wordlessly enter the classroom but I caught his hand before he could do that.

“let go! I'm already late and don't smother me anymore!” he growled so I chuckled, only to piss him off a little more.

“but that's my class. And I've never seen you around.”

“duuuuh, that's because I'm a new student. Now let go if you don't want me to get really mad.” he threateningly leaned in closer, opening yet another glaring contest between us.

“firstly apologize for knocking me down earlier.” I demanded and he scoffed, somehow managing to get rid of the grip of my hand on his.

“I won't! Because you're stupid”!

“I'm stupid”?! I gasped and he only nodded with a smirk. “that's right. Now move.” he threatened once again, but I did otherwise. I only disabled him from entering.

“what are you gonna do now”? I asked him and he sighed, before reaching his hand out for the doorknob, managing to push both the door and me in the same time so we ended up stumbling into the classroom.

“what on earth...” I heard my teacher gasping upon seeing the show the two of us had created, but I didn't spare him even a glance.

I just pushed the guy away and averted my glance towards the window only to see..

Niel.

Sitting with Byunghun.

What on earth is Niel doing in school?! Isn't he supposed to be in the hospital?!

“move out of my way.” the guy behind me lightly pushed me aside as if to head towards the only available seat.

Ah hell no!

“that's my seat”! I yelled and ran towards the desk, only to be pulled backwards as the guy obviously wouldn't let me win so easily.

“I saw it first”! He replied back and was about to sit but I pulled him backwards then and somehow struggled to sit down... only for him to pull me back up.

“will you two stop it!? Both of you can sit in front of that desk”! The teacher finally ended our childish quarrel and we both let out a long sigh in the same time before mumbling in our beards something that was supposed to mean our agreement.

When we were finally seated, (trying hardly to keep the distance between us) the teacher cleared his throat and glanced in that guy's way.

“are you Kim Myungsoo”? He asked him, and the guy only lazily nodded, not sparing even one glance in the teacher's way.

“mind to introduce yourself to the class”? The teacher continued and Myungsoo sighed, finally looking up.

“yes, I do mind. I hate stuff like that. You know my name. It's enough.” he sternly replied, leaving no possible argument to that.

Even the teacher was astonished upon witnessing such behaviour, but soon enough his glance travelled over Changjo's face and finally ended up on mine. He lightly grimaced and then shook his head before returning back to his previous job. I smirked, realizing of just what he was thinking about.

He got himself another 'bandit'.

How cute.

After the bell rang, I immediately went over to Niel and glared at him.

“why aren't you in the hospital”? I crossed my arms over my chest, determined not to get affected by the cute pout Niel was wearing on his lips.

“but I was too bored.” he whined before adding. “the doctor took my blood and sent it to analysis and so he told me that I could go to school and come back to hospital after the school ends to check up on my results. Minsoo will drive me there.”

“you could have told me that earlier.” I reprimanded him. He frowned and slightly shifted on his chair before making an eye contact with me.

“what for”?

I was about to yell back his own words in frustration, but had somehow forced myself not to. I closed my eyes and counted to three to calm myself down and only after I was sure that I was calm enough I could open my eyes again.

“fine.” I gave up and was about to leave, but a hand caught mine thus disabling me from moving anywhere.

“you won't even greet me”? Byunghun softly spoke and it took all my strength not to just turn around and hug him, to make sure that everything was still alright and that I had no need to be insecure about anything.

But my life wasn't a fairy tale in which I could just magically get whatever I want and have a prince that would love only me.

So I had to act along.

I slowly turned around and forced myself to softly smile, lightly squeezing his hand as if  not to be too suspicious. And as he smiled back at me, I could tell that he didn't notice anything strange about me.

Of course he didn't.

How could anyone, after all.

“wanna change seats”? Niel offered and I was about to say yes but...

it struck me a moment after.

Niel wasn't willingly offering that. He had tried sounding nonchalant, but I could hear the hope in his voice perfectly well.

He DIDN'T want to change seats. He did it only because he wanted to, probably, make it up to me for not calling me earlier.

But it was obvious that he wanted to stay by Byunghun's side.

“I'd rather not suggest you that. You were in the hospital yesterday and you'd probably end up again if you had to bear with that stubborn pain in the that took my seat!” I intentionally raised my voice slightly so Myungsoo could hear that and it would seem like my plan had worked because he growled a while later: “I heard that!”

“of course you did, chimpanzee.” I lazily threw that comment over my shoulder and then smiled at the duo in front of me that didn't seem to notice just how fake it was.

The point of my whole act was to not let them notice anything, but then why does it hurt so much now?!

Slowly, I returned back to my seat and did my best to look unburdened. Though it was quite hard.

“you have... quite caring friends there...” Myungsoo mockingly spoke. I snapped my head in his way and curiously glanced at him. “yeah...”? I was confused, of course I was. He was actually trying to TALK to me normally and it was even more bewildering than what he said next.

Until I realized the sentence's meaning.

“do they really not notice how fake your smile is or are they just pretending”?

I was totally taken back with what he said, not expecting of him to actually notice something as petty as that. If my closest friend and boyfriend couldn't notice it, then how could he? He who knew me for barely half an hour only.

But of course I couldn't let him think like that just so easily.

“I don't know what you're talking about.” I answered as calmly as possible, focusing my eyes on the wall in front of me, trying hardly not to let him know that I was trying to hide anything.

But how wrong was I...

“are you trying to fool me here? Nice try, but... it's quite obvious that you're NOT fine. Or it's just obvious in my eyes, as it seems.” he chuckled, sparing one quick look in Byunghun's way before looking back at me.

This time, I looked back.

“I don't see how that's your concern.” I coldly told him only to earn myself a shrug in response, followed by a playful chuckle.

“you're right. It's not.” he then put his earbuds in his ears and started drawing something at the back of his notebook, completely ignoring everyone around him.

I stared at his annoyingly handsome face for a while more, trying to figure him out. But it wasn't an easy task.

 

During the next class, my impatience was growing thicker and thicker and I kept on feeling curious about what he said.

As the professor was busy cheerfully talking about some unimportant stuff, I stole the chance to lean in a bit closer to Myungsoo. “can I ask you something”?

“you've already asked.” Myungsoo absently answered, but a track of amusement was still flickering in his eyes. As if he had expected me to ask, anyway.

I could have chosen that reason to stop myself from asking him anything at all, but my curiosity had obviously won the battle.

“then... can I ask two more questions”? I asked playfully, knowing that I had asked yet another question so I had an opportunity to now ask the real question.

“smartass... alright, ask.” he replied, finally glancing at me. For the moment, I felt a bit stupid for wanting to know such things, but I couldn't help myself.

“am I... really that obvious”? I whispered, nervously playing with my own fingers. Myungsoo frowned and his gaze only intensified, making me shudder all of a sudden.

“you're not, that's why I mentioned it anyway.” he answered shortly and then once again started drawing. As he was doing that, to any person who'd look at him now it would seem that his focus was entirely stolen by the item he was currently drawing. But I guessed it only helped him concentrate all the more.

“you're not even rude.” he added with a frown that confused me. “you present yourself in that light only to protect yourself from getting hurt.”

how he knew that was beyond explainable to me. But I was so fascinated with everything he was saying to even wonder about how he knew.

“you don't seem so... bad yourself.” I nonchalantly said and finally managed to see him actually smiling. It's amazing ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter