Him?

The Heiress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Him? - Penelope's POV[/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]Four hours. Exactly four hours I'd been single and I had thirty three ignored text messages all saying more or less the same thing; 'hey. Heard u n Logan broke up. Want 2 meet up?' It was as flattering as it was disgusting. I groaned as I received another message, turning my phone on silent and resuming the episode of Orange Is The New Black. It felt weird watching it without Kai. Since his first time at my house, he'd come over almost every day to carry on with the research. Naturally, the studying got boring and we went onto Netflix and continued our marathon, always ending the night with Henrietta's snacks and Arthur taking him home. We fell into a comfortable routine and it worked for the both of us: I wasn't left to do all the work, he was guaranteed an A+...and I got to spend more time with the Kim Jongin. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like him. Like, liked-liked him. However, I was getting more anxious as the days passed - Daddy Park and my mom were, so far, unaware of his visits. Should they learn of them, I'd receive a grating lecture about the Social Class System and its rules. I hated to admit that my parents were very much like Logan and Stacey; they believed everyone had a place in the economic world and should not mix with people out-with their class.

"Are you decent, honey?" Henrietta asked from outside my room. I looked down at my baggy t-shirt and boy shorts and shrugged.

"Yeah, come in!" I shouted and she entered, closing the door behind her. When she sat down on the bed, I knew what she was about to say was serious. I snapped my laptop shut and sat up, crossing my legs as I waited for her to speak. 

"I heard you dumped the douche," she grinned and I bit back a smile, quickly failing. She burst out laughing and I soon joined in, both of us flopping flat onto the mattress and releasing our sounds of amusement. Finally sobering up, we sat up again and she brushed my hair out of my face, cupping my cheek. "You finally got some sense. Took you long enough, sweetpea." 

"Right?" I grunted, rolling my eyes. "So is that all you came for or is there more?" She grinned sheepishly and I sighed. "Shoot."

"Since you no longer have a boyfriend...who's going to be your date to the charity auction?" She asked and I froze, my mind drawing a blank. I'd completely forgotten about the benefit that was tomorrow. "I was hoping you'd react that way. Arthur and I already hooked you up with someone."

"Oh god. This better not be another one of those blind dates," I groaned, remembering the one time (before I'd been made to go steady with Logan) when Henrietta and Arthur had thought it a great idea to set me up with someone on a dating website, not realising it was a 78 year old bachelor from Geneva. I shuddered at the memory. 

"No, no, nothing like that. He's young and handsome...he goes to your school, actually," she added, smirking devilishly. I knew exactly who she'd set me up with and I felt my heart race with both excitement and anxiety. My parents and all their friends and business partners would be at the benefit ball. Although I didn't judge Kai for his social class, they certainly would and they'd forbid me from seeing him again. I know, it sounded like I was living in the Romeo & Juliet era. "I can't wait to see your face when he picks you up."

"Rita, you realise mom and dad will kill me if they find out about Kai's social background, right?"

"I never said anything about Kai," she chuckled. "Though it's interesting that your mind immediately went to him...do you like him?"

"Stop trying to change the subject!"

"YOU DO! You like him!" She gasped, bursting into a fit of squeals. I groaned dramatically long and dropped my face on my bedsheets, drowning out my sounds of frustration. She giggled and my back warmly. "Come on, get your homework done and go to bed. You haven't been sleeping enough lately." I didn't argue with her, she was right on that one. Instead, I took out my AP Calc BC textbook and notepad and started on my homework. My head wasn't in it but, still, I calculated my work was worthy of an A- at the very least. Once it was done, I went for a shower and then went to bed, sleep catching me quickly for once.

 

*** The Benefit Ball ***

 

I yawned in my seat, remaining as still as I could while a hair stylist worked on my silky locks and a makeup artist coated my lips with a fiery red colour. My eyeshadow was black and bold, my nails a stark red and my black, halter-neck gown clinging to me like second skin. Finally, they finished dolling me up and I looked in the mirror, my pearly white teeth peaking through the red slits of my mouth. I wiggled my toes in my black Plateau pumps to stop them from losing feeling.

"You look to die for," Coco, the stylist, purred, fixing a single strand of hair. 

"Thanks, guys. You did amazing, as always!" I beamed and they flicked their weaves cockily before hugging and kissing me then leaving the dressing room. I put on some gold bangles and a few rings then left to grab my purse and my phone. I quickly typed in a text and sent it to the group chat with my friends. 

"Oh, my goodness. It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful my little darling is!" Henrietta cooed as she entered the room and pulled me into a warm hug. I giggled and pinched her cheek affectionately. "Are you ready to see your date?"

"Rita, I seriously don't see the point in this," I moaned and she rolled her eyes, taking my hand as she dragged me out of the room. As we walked down the lobby and reached the stairs, excitement bubbled in my stomach at the thought of going to a formal event with Kai. I wouldn't tell my parents of his financial background, I'd let them get to know and love him before breaking the news. It was fool-proof. 

"Ladies and gents, I welcome you my beautiful girl, Penelope," Henrietta squealed as she took me down the stairs. I looked up and all the air left my lungs, my heart seeming to freeze in my chest as awestruck eyes stared back at me. 

"SEHUN!?" I exclaimed, my mouth as wide as my eyes. I hurried down the rest of the stairs, almost tripping on the trail of my dress. Even in my heels, the boy was at least a couple of inches taller than me. He looked down at me with a cheeky grin and I felt a blush creep up to my cheeks. Spinning around, I pinned Henrietta with a demanding glare. "What the hell!? Why is Sehun here?"

"You dumped the douche and needed a date. I knew your stupid friend - no offence, Sehun - Suyun had a brother so I called their housemaid and she got me in contact with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter